• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Evangelion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soupcan58

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
emory wrote:
ProfessorOhki wrote:
A few years back, a PBS station in San Jose (KTEH), aired the sub of eva uncut (to the best of my knowledge), complete with toothpicks, rivers of blood, etc. If PBS can show it unedited, why the hell can't a cable network *sigh* Well, here's to hoping AS does the right thing... I'd like to see it again because, the first time, I caught the eps out of order (a bit confusing to say the least).
I guess not enough people watched to warrant a complaint, but that's really stupid of KTEH to do that. I could go to http://www.parentstv.org and use their little form to fill out a complaint, and the FCC will go and fine KTEH tens of thousands of dollars.

it was on around like 3am or so.

That's exactly why the FCC never did anything. I just took a radio/TV class and I know that after 10 PM, any network is free to air any shows they want with no restrictions. Basically, CN could(but won't) run NGE in it's completely unedited format and not be in trouble with the FCC at the show's timeslot.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
No action on my bet. Oh well.

First off, Sketchee gets 500 points, but I digress.

Second, I wish my PBS station (WHYY in Philadelphia) was as cool as ProfOhki's. However, it was where the original few years of Double Dare was taped, so I can't complain too much. Wink

Anyway, you must also take into consideration that this was a PBS station, which means a) less flack from the FCC and b) more general freedom to air whatever they want regardless. I mean, where else can you see Red Dwarf or Doctor Who?

Third, yeah, it's amazing what networks will air weekends after the news. The CBS station (KYW) here show The West Wing! Bwuh?!
Alucard27

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Meh, doesn't matter a whole h--- of a lot to me, I've practically memorized the series and the 2 movies. As for the series being more tame, especially when it comes to the hentai elements, I doubt it will happen. I think that if those guys can get away with a series like Samurai Champloo, then they should have no problem getting away with EVA's hentai elements. Also, I was also one of the people who thought that EVA would NEVER make it to a major network without the series having to be chopped up because of some editing the network had to do. Kudos as always, AS. ^^
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
hentai....elements...?

And yeah, chances are it's gonna be the original version. Someone mentioned earlier about the last two episodes and the text. For the PE realeases they left the onscreen text untranslated, so we get a whole bunch of japanse characters thrown at us. If they do show the PE then they'll have to use subtitles, which will be a bother.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
With basic cable, even the PE version will look grainy like the vhs tapes. How is it with digital cable or digital satilite.

Well, I have digital cable and things look great. 'Course, I have a standard tube TV, but even then, it still looks pretty sharp, at least to the point where I can definitely tell what's been digi-celled and which hasn't, and Platinum Eva is nearly as good as digi-celled. I would think that even the Platinum version would still look tons better than the original washed-out version. And again, I would think with these new editions, ADV would push for the Platinum to be broadcast over the original to drive sales. Why use the old one when you've got a better remaster? It just makes more sense.

Hentai elements? I know the show can be a teeny fanservice-y, but the fanservice in this show is waaaaaay tame compared to other stuff. I would hardly call it having elements of hentai. Now spawning hentai doujin... That's another story. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
When I take over the world, ultra conservatives will be shot.

Can we please try to keep things as far away from politics as possible? I'm sick and tired of people bringing politics into everything in my life; it creates unneeded tension with the other half of the country to disagree with. Need I point out that the campaign to sanitize and regulate TV is a bipartisan effort, being led not only by Republicans, but also some Democrats, most notably Hillary Clinton? You can't just make all conservatives your enemy, as much as you (and I) disagree with them when the opposition to uncut content is coming from your political side as well.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Necros is absolutely right. We need to acknowledge that this is a bipartisan effort.

(beat)

When ChichiriMuyo takes over the world, the ultra-liberals will have to be shot, too. *rimshot*

Anyway, something that has just popped into my mind is this: this will be the REAL first test of GAINAX shown to a widespread audience. Sure, FLCL is still being re-aired, but Eva has the very high potential of running alongside Inuyasha in popularity and therefore ad dollars.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Lix wrote:
I've only been an anime fan for a few years, and I have yet to see Evangelion. Now I guess I'll see what all the fuss is about....

I second this motion. Wink

Actually, one of my friends has the original version on DVD and showed me one random middle episode that he really liked... and it was a decent episode stand-alone like that. It added to my curiosity over the series.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Anyway, something that has just popped into my mind is this: this will be the REAL first test of GAINAX shown to a widespread audience.

And hopefully, this will lead for Adult Swim to air Mahoromatic! Laughing

Of course, I doubt that'll happen.
animeaddict92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It's not worth watching because obviously it WILL be edited.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
You do know that all anime is edited when it comes to non-Japanese-speaking countries, right?
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, here it is!
Of course it was going to be on 'Adult Swim'. Smile

After ten years that is lol...still better then no NGE Smile
studioplugnplay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
emory wrote:
ProfessorOhki wrote:
A few years back, a PBS station in San Jose (KTEH), aired the sub of eva uncut (to the best of my knowledge), complete with toothpicks, rivers of blood, etc. If PBS can show it unedited, why the hell can't a cable network *sigh* Well, here's to hoping AS does the right thing... I'd like to see it again because, the first time, I caught the eps out of order (a bit confusing to say the least).
I guess not enough people watched to warrant a complaint, but that's really stupid of KTEH to do that. I could go to http://www.parentstv.org and use their little form to fill out a complaint, and the FCC will go and fine KTEH tens of thousands of dollars.

When I take over the world, ultra conservatives will be shot.

Why would anyone do that? What a strange suggestion to say you will write someone about something on a PBS affliliate that you didn't see. (>_>)

Our PBS affiliate aired Doomed Megalopolis [Haunting of Tokyo] completely uncut starting at 10 pm. but this was before the days when PBS wasn't being blasted for 'Arthur' cartoons that displayed a happy gay couple raising children. Oy vey...
studioplugnplay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
WHYY...? That where I saw Doomed Meg! Anime hyperD

-Small world
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
You do know that all anime is edited when it comes to non-Japanese-speaking countries, right?
hell even in japan stuff gets edited "Gantz" for example.

also people tend to forget even in japan alot of the anime is aired on pay channels and even then around midnight or so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5