• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Higher Level of Whatever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of sereis I dont like but I would never make anyone feel bad about likeing it heavn know's I get enough greif from some people for likeing Strike Witches.

I think when it becomes eltiest is when instead of saying a show is stupid people start saying your'e stupid for likeing it also I think if your a fan of Anime or Manga their will (hopefully) be some growth latter on.

I know I still dont watch the stuff from when I was a teen but I dont look down on people who are djust getting into it if that's what their watching we all have to start some where I guess also I think we need too realize it's just Manga and Anime we just need to know when to just chill out.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: Manga IS better then comics, because of it's diversity. There are no mainstream american comics that are NOT about super-heroes.

Oh my goodness gracious, you mean Fables and Flight and Ruse and Meridian and Amulet are all about superheroes and I didn't even notice???

Well, to be fair, depending on your definition, one could argue that none of those are really mainstream. Of course that's where looking at what's 'mainstream' is a pretty arbitrary issue. There's not really any truly mainstream Japanese comics that aren't Shounen comics. Who cares though? That's just what's mainstream.

I seem to recall Y: The Last Man being pretty mainstream, what with the talk of adapting it into a HBO tv series. and that has nothing to do with super-heroes

and while were on the subject theres lots of really great super hero comics out there if you look hard enough. Don't forget that Watchmen is a superhero comic Very Happy
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
^
I love Watchmen. Even as someone who enjoys superhero comics and related media, Watchmen breaks several molds and provides an entirely different look at "superheroes." Though Manhattan is the only truly 'super' cast member; the rest are more like Bruce Wayne: regular humans with resources or will.

In any case, there are several awesome American comics that have nothing to do with superheroes. I used to think there wasn't much variety, but some research proved otherwise and opened up a whole new world. (Granted, research is an overstatement; it's really quite easy.) I'm quick to recommend Beasts of Burden and, though I haven't read it, I've heard Maus is excellent.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: Manga IS better then comics, because of it's diversity. There are no mainstream american comics that are NOT about super-heroes.

I guess you never read DMZ from DC Comic, it's probably one of the few non-superheroes comic that has a good storyline on the same level as a manga. Oh, and read Danger Girl, the comic is like an ecchi manga but with a American taste.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot that you live in Eastern Europe DmonHiro, American Comic book never got release in Eastern Europe because of 30 years of communist repression until 1989. That's why you never read a comic book from US or anywhere from other part of the country.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
and while were on the subject theres lots of really great super hero comics out there if you look hard enough. Don't forget that Watchmen is a superhero comic Very Happy

Yeah, I never said that wasn't the case.
rojse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
...I've heard Maus is excellent.

From someone who has actually read it, Maus is excellent. It's the twin story of Germany and the Jews as the Holocaust approached and passed, and the latter story of how people cope, having lived through such a trying ordeal. The artwork is quite interesting - the first thing is that it is drawn in a really messy style, but I think it works quite well in depicting the bleak horrors of the concentration camps and gas chambers. The second point of note is that each different group and race are drawn as animals - the Jews are drawn as mice, and the Germans are drawn as cats. It sounds odd, but somehow, it works.

It's also quite a mainstream work - it's won a slew of awards, including a special Pulitzer Prize (can a book get much bigger than being awarded a Pulitzer?), but even without considering all of that, I still think it's a rather good story. And there's no superheroes or capes to be seen, either.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Yeah, I never said that wasn't the case.

that part wasn't really in response to you but more responding to DmonHiro's post and general thread discussion.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Plus anyone that calls magical girl anime by the Americanized Japanese name "maho shojo" shouldn't be casting stones. It's the magical girl genre. Calling it by sounding out the Japanese name isn't going to make it sound any more macho.

The lack of macho-ness isn't a problem though. As a feminist, I have no issue with guys liking frilly dresses and sparkles and pink.

On the topic of 'merkin komix vs. manga cartoons* - There's plenty of diversity in both, though manga has the added hurdle in English speaking markets that only a fraction of it is available legally in English, so unless someone speaks Japanese and English/visits scanlation sites, they'll only know those manga titles which have been officially translated, and even scanlation sites often focus on translating cookiecutter titles (not to mention the numerous sites that get most of their hits from uploading titles that are readily available in English legally, I am NOT trying to start a piracy debate, more making a point about popularity and which titles get major marketing pushes). I'm not averse to superhero comics, though I've spent a lot more time watching animated works based on them than on reading the comics themselves. Honestly, while I love comics, I don't spend all that much time reading them because I get distracted by message boards (dammit), so I can't comment in great depth on the subject. As many others have said, it (this discussion) in part depends on your definition of "mainstream". I've actually been trying to check out more european comics lately, looking into publishers such as Cinebook, I don't know if anyone has any comment on those.

*that second one was something someone said about Tokyo Godfathers, asserting that some people might not want to see it because of that when I bought it to a film night at an aspergers group (note that the person who said that does not have aspergers so far as I know, they just help run the group, before someone jumps in to blame their ignorance on autism) in the end we watched Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I brought as well, though Tokyo Godfathers actually managed to get a decent number of votes, but gosh it annoyed me the way that person was judging it without having seen it just because it's anime, in fairness it has no English dub and some people have difficulties reading subtitles (though when I asked no-one said it was an issue for them), but while they tried to remove it from the voting based on that as well, they were clearly also assuming that just because a film is from japan/originally in Japanese and is animated it won't appeal to... "average" people? Since Tokyo Godfathers is one of the best works of moving image media I have ever seen, that attitude irritated me immensely.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I found the first question interesting, as I have seen that type of behavior and I hate it. Although Brian says it happens in other fandoms, I believe it, I just haven't seen it yet. Maybe be more specific.
Anyway, to the person who asked the question about the "snobby elitist I'm better than you cause I watch this anime" question: Don't listen to them. They live in their own little world. I really hate it when I run into a supposedly "elite anime fan" because they saw like, 100 or more anime, and are basically "that person who's seen it all" and you cannot challenge them because they will school you. Rolling Eyes I've got my small amount of anime, and I'm fine (and proud) of it. So don't listen to those people, you obviously have a life and they don't if they've seen that many anime. Cool

Quote:
If one person has only watched shounen anime, and another has watched a wide range of anime over all genres, it IS true that the latter person has more knowledge about anime as a whole.

I do have to agree with you on this, samulep. I don't think anyone has to watch over 100 or more anime, but it's true that when you broaden your horizons, you will have more knowledge about anime.

Quote:
I think Naruto fandom fails to realize that Naruto in anime is just like Justin Bieber in music, and Twilight in movies.

Naruto might not be that great, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Justin Bieber and Twilight. And the Twilight books are trashy as well as the movies.

Quote:
I gotta say I don't like Naruto.. but even I wouldn't go that far. Hell, I'm insanely jealous as someone who loves One Piece that Naruto beats that out in America. First of all Naruto has cross gender appeal, even if it's a shonen title. Bieber and Twilight are generally a female fandom, with maybe just some gay fans and goth boyfriends pinging the male demos... Just because Naruto is one of the most popular anime / manga here, even I don't think it deserves the comparison to those two annoyingly popular trends. Even I think Naruto at least has some redeeming qualities, unlike those other two.

I'm not sure I like Naruto either, and I agree that I find it strange that it beats One Piece in the American market. However, you are right about Naruto, it has a much more broad appeal, whereas Justin Bieber and Twilight are primarily for girls. (Though there are a lot of girls who dislike both.) I wouldn't generalize though and say that there are some gays and goth boyfriends pinging the male demograph. I'm sure there may be some gays, but there are many who have scoffed at Twilight at least. (Not trying to get off topic, but I actually found Twilight to be anti-gay, and the author Stephanie Meyer donated money from her books to Preposition 8, because she is against gay marriage. ) Maybe some goth boyfriends like one or the other or both, and if that's the case, they're not real goths. Anime smallmouth In the end, I don't believe Naruto should be compared to either of those annoying and crappy fads, as I too think it does have redeeming quality.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
In the end, I don't believe Naruto should be compared to either of those annoying and crappy fads, as I too think it does have redeeming quality.

Anything has redeeming quality............... to their fans.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DC conics origionally AC action comics DC origionally detective comics I have through the years know of science fiction, mystery comics, western comics, fantsay comics and comedy comics the afor mention Archie being one of them. So there has always been a wide vairaty of American comics as for anime try beside Death Note, Monster mystery anime base on manga. The anime Your Under Arrest, Golden Boy and other anime including adult anime, manga sex comics it's always been many types of comics and before I forget Illistrated Classics. Part of the problem is comics have been underrated and put down thru the years they have proven a very flexable medium not to be underestimated. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4