• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh Lead Sword Art Online Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Masaomi and Shana? Oh, I. Am. Sold.

Absolutely loved Papenbrook's work in DRRR!! and while the series fell off my radar after season 1, I enjoyed Leigh's performance as Shana to no end.

It tickles me that people are so blatantly trolling when just the barest bit of news surrounding this series is released. There are issues with SAO, no question, but it's far from "TEH WORST THING EVAR." Ahhh, but haters gonna hate. lmao Rolling Eyes
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

There are issues with SAO, no question, but it's far from "TEH WORST THING EVAR." Ahhh, but haters gonna hate. lmao Rolling Eyes

No, that's Mars of Destruction. Wink

But Fairy Dance was pretty terrible all regards as it killed a pretty awesome character.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
getchman wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

From spirited (and rather annoying) Gaige to the ultimate Waifu. How the mighty have fallen Sad Rolling Eyes

but what if this is a role she wanted to play?
That's irrelevant. It is still a huge step down to go from voicing true characters to giving some semblance of life to a fetishistic "cardboard cutout". If she wanted to play the character for reasons besides getting paid/furthering her career then that's her prerogative but I will never understand it as I can't imagine anyone wanting to be Asuna. Be with her, ahem, sure, I can understand that though it appeals not to me. In fact, if she were to honestly divulge that there had been something more than paying the bills or bolstering her "resume" behind her decision to voice Asuna then I would hold out hope as long as possible that she did it on false pretense, that Bang/Zoom (et al) lied to her about the nature of Asuna.

I have to agree with the other posters: there were roles in the SAO more suited for Cherami's "typecast", roles that actually came closer to being characters as opposed to Asuna, the"Waifu's waifu", the most pathetic, static & lifeless piece of fetish bait I can recall ever seeing in anime.

Maybe Cherami will make Asuna less horrendous to experience. It would take a Stephen Foster level rewrite to make her into a real character (as he did with Orphen) but it could be done. Naturally I don't expect that it will be done.

Perhaps we'll get some hilarious extras with great outtakes fueled by the cast's disdain for Asuna? Of course as they're Bang/Zoom extras they won't be on the DVD/BD and will only appear at con panels but hey, that's something and I'm so desperately searching for a silver lining in all this.

Are you for real? Seriously, I'm tired of this terrible viewpoint. It comes up pretty much any time a female character isn't going around pointing guns at people's heads, buying everything themselves, etc etc etc. It's so tired.

So you're telling me a character that is great at fighting, one of the BEST in the entire game is waifu material? It's not like Kirito sat her down and told her to be a good woman, so do as you're told. Two damn people in the series grew close together and WORKED TOGETHER to help save everyone in the game. Hell, without her, Kirito would have lost and they all would have been doomed.

So Im guessing your next argument would be the next arc. The fact that she is captive. Yes she is, due to problems in the real world of the series. Nothing she can do about that. ANYONE in that situation would be helpless. In fact, she STILL fought to get out even in her situation.

Seriously, I'm tired of the whole sexist thing. It gets thrown around so carelessly and makes things into a big deal when there isn't anything to be angry about. There are some terrible female characters in anime, but Asuna isn't one of them.

Off the topic of self righteous BS, I'm excited for the release. I haven't heard the dub yet, but regardless I'll just be happy to own the series. I finished it the beginning of March and got through the whole series in a week. It wasn't amazing, but it was a fun watch. I thought going into it that it would be a fairly generic series, but I felt that due to the characters, it helped bring it above mediocrity, to a fun series I enjoyed watching.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
That's irrelevant. It is still a huge step down to go from voicing true characters to giving some semblance of life to a fetishistic "cardboard cutout".

I love how you say this when she played Yoshika from god damn Strike Witches, who is probably someone you'd consider to be even more of a "fetishistic cardboard cutout" than Asuna (though Yoshika isn't).
I think Yoshika has way more personality than Asuna, but I expect Asuna to be a much better performance. The problem with Yoshika's dub voice is that she sounds like a "fetishistic cardboard cutout" because of the direction the dub took. SAO will probably be a more serious dub so Asuna the generic tsundere will probably sound more like a human being than a moving picture designed to appeal to the desires of overweight neckbeards.

I won't argue with her decision (After all, who wouldn't want to be in a project this big?) but I am a little bit bothered that such a bland character is going to sound great in the dub when there are better characters getting much worse performances. But I guess more Cherami Leigh is never a bad thing unless it's by way of more dubbed Strike Witches
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem with Yoshika's dub voice is that she sounds like a "fetishistic cardboard cutout" because of the direction the dub took.

No, uh, she sounded like that because Strikw Witches is what happens when you take a bunch of fetishy cookie-cutter characters and you actually care to develop them into people.

But every single witch is targeted directly at a particular otaku fetish, and that should be blatantly obvious.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
The problem with Yoshika's dub voice is that she sounds like a "fetishistic cardboard cutout" because of the direction the dub took.

No, uh, she sounded like that because Strikw Witches is what happens when you take a bunch of fetishy cookie-cutter characters and you actually care to develop them into people.

But every single witch is targeted directly at a particular otaku fetish, and that should be blatantly obvious.
Well, yeah. I knew that already. What I'm saying is that the dub tries to replicate the cutesy voices present in the Japanese version. English VA's can sound cute (Mayuri in the Steins;Gate dub is a good example) but not cute in the same way that Japanese people sound cute.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
All dub-haters do is bitch and moan about dubs, again and again and again and a again. Even BEFORE it even comes out they assume it's gonna be bad.

How do they know the lead guy is gonna use the EXACT same voice he did for Masaomi? These guys can put on different voices and he might do just that. And even if he doesn't, he will still be speaking differently to suit this role's character.

But noooooo, IT'S GONNA RUIN IT they say. Seriously, what a bunch of weaboo geeks!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
So ya guys insinuating it's a step-back career-wise like Jack Nicholson doing Mars Attacks? Laughing
ChibiBritt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
For the record, Cherami mentioned on Facebook that she's looking forward to be working on the show. Smile Whether it's an honest answer or not is up to you, but that's what she said.

She has also most definitely worked on more shallow characters in the past (Strike Witches comes to mind).
That's not an answer to the question per se. Effectively she said "I'm looking forward to getting paid and furthering my resume." She did not directly and definitively comment on her actual thoughts concerning the "character" of Asuna, at least not in what you have relayed; what she said does not shed any light on whether or not she finds the demure doormat that is Asuna to be repugnant.

Cherami has voiced shallow characters before, sure. However those characters--key word--were worlds above Asuna who is much closer to being a macguffin, a macguffin that has disturbingly high appeal to a certain, apparently large, subset of anime fans in Japan, than a bona fide character. I saw the whole horrid experience of the show and Asuna was a much more of a thing than a person.
Quote:

So it's easier for you to accept that she had absolutely no idea what she was getting herself into and will soon regret being chosen for this role soon after recording and there is no possible way she might actually like the show and hoped she would be able to voice Asuna one day?
Close, but no cigar. I'm also not sure that you worded what I have quoted to convey what you intended it to as you say, definitively & without attributing it to what you (would mistakenly) believe to be what I am "accepting", therein that there is no possible way that Cherami could like SAO or hope that she could voice Asuna. That bit is clearly false, though I almost wish it weren't.

I'd like to believe that I expressed that I hope that Cherami either wanted Asuna solely for mercenary & career advancement reasons and considered the "gag factor" of Asuna to be irrelevant (which is, again, her prerogative but I'd say it's a bit tragic) or that she wanted those 2 things but also was duped by being told that Asuna was what she is not:a genuine character.

I'm conflicted: I like Cherami's previous work and would like for her to continue voicing in anime and getting paid but I'm not sure that I really want her to go against her Funimation "typecast" so and be known as the voice of the Most Waifu-est Waifu Known To Man as I both find Asuna to be repugnant and don't know what the ramifications of her being attached to such a well known role will be. Will it typecast her as the Waifu in the eyes (ears?) of casting directors? Will I personally ever be able to hear her as a character with soul and backbone and not have the experienced ruined for me because she'll sound like the doormat that was Asuna? As a fan, I am compelled to wonder.

I probably won't remember to check this after I post this but anyway...

I think you don't understand how acting and actors work. Your whole post reeks of fanboy. You're assuming things about a subject you really have no clue about.

Here is a show with a massive fanbase. The lead female has an insane following. While one can argue she doesn't have much of a personality, she's still an interesting character. An interesting character that could very well be a challenge to play. Actors love challenges. Sure they can play to a typecast, but why do that all the time?

Whether it's a stage play or you audition for voice over you may go in auditioning for a certain character. You may walk out cast as someone completely different. Do you bitch and moan? No you act like a professional and take the role and give the character life. Though I'm more inclined to believe she's probably very happy for the role she was given.

I highly HIGHLY doubt Cherami is worried about being a cardboard character or some 'waifu'. She probably just wants to put on a performance and to hell with whatever fanboys think.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
I may have dropped SAO at episode six, but...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BRYCE PAPENBROOK!!! But wow, talk about casting against type! I'll actually be willing to watch the 1st episode of the dub and see how his voice plays out. I think it'll be interesting to hear his take on Kirito.

I wonder who they're going to cast as Silica?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of weird discussion on Leigh "choosing" this role. This anime voice-over dubbing, people. Nobody "chooses" their roles. They make $60 an hour on very inconsistent work. She probably auditioned for every single girl, went home, and then got a call telling her she got the part. Whatever level of artistic expression you think goes into this line of work, AKA fitting pre-determined words into mouthflaps, it's rarely ever there.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm game, I'd also be game if the volumes got out PDQ, Let's not have a repeat of it being Neon Ally exclusive for an age like Tiger and Bunny, ta.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm replying to the messages here because I was there and felt like I can comment on the dub as I saw the premiere.

Bryce did a hell of a job and I felt sucked into every scene that was done with Kirito. On the flip side I'm on the fence with Leigh as Asuna. Problem is we only got the first 2 episodes and we all know Asuna gets very little in the way of lines in those episodes to really judge a voice. I think we should definitely wait until full release o the dub to judge.

As far as Kabaya Akehito in the first episode, that by far was my favorite voice. Worked really well and fit the personality of the character. I don't know who voiced him though.

All that aside, I was glad to see Bryce show up at the premiere. Having Kawahara-san, Eir Aoi and Luna Haruna was great and made it awesome as it was, but the fact that we also got the voice of one of the main characters there was great. Leigh ended up having a short 60 second video of her introducing herself and laying out how excited she was to be playing the part. Too bad she wasn't there as well as maybe a special guest just for the event.

Too bad I couldn't record any of the event cause the cheers when Bryce came out were actually alot louder than the cheers for Kawahara-san, which surprised me.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Were you able to identify any of the other actors? I'm particularly interested in who they got to voice Klein.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Well...I pretty much did not see this coming anywhere close to a mile.

Huh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5