• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arata the Legend (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like this kind of anime. In fact, I'm enjoying this show more than Gargantia.

It;s funny I was thinking the same thing about Arata. Arata was a series I had pretty low expectations for but it has grown into an enjoyable watch.

Gargantia was my favorite series at the start of the year but it has completely disappointed me these last few weeks.

It is interesting how expectations can change your feelings on a series.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am curious to know what, exactly, Hinohara did that got Kadowaki so cruelly pissed at him.

seems like Kadowaki excelled at track but Arata suddenly got better, and that turned him into Grumpy Cat
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I like this kind of anime. In fact, I'm enjoying this show more than Gargantia.

It;s funny I was thinking the same thing about Arata. Arata was a series I had pretty low expectations for but it has grown into an enjoyable watch.

Gargantia was my favorite series at the start of the year but it has completely disappointed me these last few weeks.

It is interesting how expectations can change your feelings on a series.

I dropped Gargantia after Ep 5. It wasn't what I expected from watching the first episode; frankly, I think it's crap. But Arata I thought wasn't going to be very good. I watched the first episode out of sheer boredom, and ended up thinking it was decent. It has some serious downsides to it, but also some real upsides, so the two balance themselves out. Overall, it's much more interesting and realistic (insofar as it doesn't pull punches) than what Gargantia turned out to be.

Arata isn't going to come anywhere close to winning Anime of the Year honors with me, but it has held my interest. I hope it can keep it up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
That Kadowaki is some piece of work. spoiler[Yes, give him an ancient evil sword. What could possibly go wrong?]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I noticed in the preview for the next episode that that idiot chick Kotoha *finally*, after 8 episodes, figures out that the Arata in her world isn't the Arata she grew up with, DESPITE BEING TOLD THAT REPEATEDLY by both Arata and her own grandmother. Talk about clueless; I find her character type to be unbelievably annoying and insipid. Maybe she'll finally start becoming interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well remember that, to her, Hinohara looks exactly like her Arata. It would be hard for anyone to believe that he was a different person.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
I could understand that, if it were not for the fact that both Hinohara and her grandmother both said that he wasn't the same person. She just came across as one of those kinds of people who don't listen to what they don't want to hear. Also, if she knew Arata as well as she is supposed to know him, she should've noticed a change in his mannerisms and speech patterns.

I feel somewhat less annoyed with Hinohara's family, as they're from a non-magical world, and Arata hasn't tried to explain anything to them (probably recognizing the futility of doing so).

More generally, one of the faults I have with the series (I mentioned earlier that it did have serious flaws, but also some significant upsides), is that most of the people we've been introduced to so far are... well... they're dumber then rocks. Hinohara seems okay, but take Kannagi for example: he took part in trying to murder the Empress, but never thought about what would happen afterwards? Oh, the Sho are free now... but hey, just because in the past the Sho ended up in constant warfare between one another, it wouldn't happen that way again, right? Uh... yeah.

And jerk from Hinohara's world? He *blames* Hinohara for beating him in a footrace in an official competitive setting? Uh... WTF? Was Hinohara supposed to just let the moron win because...? I know people have a tendency to blame others for their own problems, but that level of denial is just pathetic. And I still don't understand why Hinohara reacts so strongly towards him; I suppose there are still things that happened in the past which we haven't been told, because if what we've seen is it, then Hinohara has no reason to feel guilty for winning a race.

The Six Sho guys seem to know a lot. In fact, of all the various groups and factions I've seen so far, they seem to have it together more than anyone else. Even more than Kannagi's "friend" does (though I could be wrong with that).

I still am interested to see how this all plays out. I think there is room for things to get pretty interesting down the line.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
The better explanation for Hinohara's family not noticing is, I think, that he was a shutin at the beginning of the series. As such, they welcome a change in his personality, even if it is not quite so well explained.

I seem to recall Arata not telling Kotoha about the switch in the manga. It seems rather bizarre to change that detail and still keep Kotoha acting the same. Then again, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Also, if she knew Arata as well as she is supposed to know him, she should've noticed a change in his mannerisms and speech patterns.

She just thinks he has amnesia, remember? That's certainly easier for anyone to believe, especially compared to "I'm from another world!"
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
But with amnesia you forget who you are, you don't become something you're not. Also, her grandmother, IIRC, agreed that he wasn't the original Arata. Finally, IIRC, Arata had no ability to use magic: that was why the whole thing about sending him to replace the retiring High Priestess was so doomed. She just comes off as someone who is in denial and being close-minded because she doesn't want to believe it.

I'm guessing others aren't as troubled -- well, annoyed -- by her as I am and are a lot more willing to give her the benefit of doubt than I am.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
She's blinded by luuuv.

Episode 8

At least spoiler[Kadowaki has people explaining everything to him (even if he's too dense to take it in beyond "I get to kill Hinohara, right?"), so it won't take 6 episodes to get him up to speed.

I think Kadowaki's mother leaving is somehow tied into his hatred as well, though not sure how. I imagine his dickweed father jumped all over him for losing the race after he chose to go to that school, and his father cheating on her made his mother leave, but daddy dearest shifted the blame to Kadowaki (Your mother left because you're a loser!) or some such nonsense.]

I have a feeling they'll work in yet another betrayal theme to explain it all. Maybe Hinohara had agreed to let him win to get his dad off his back and then got carried away at the finish line.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I think Hinohara was boning Kadowaki's mom and that's why she left his Dad.

Actually, I don't really believe that at all but it amused me to float it as a theory.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think Hinohara was boning Kadowaki's mom and that's why she left his Dad.

Actually, I don't really believe that at all but it amused me to float it as a theory.

That's an excellent theory:

Hinohara (to Kadowaki): You're just mad because your Mom's an easy lay.

Kadowaki: Rhaaaaarrraaaaaahhhwwwwrrrrr! I hate you Hinohara!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
See? Anime practically writes itself.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
You just need a little sister character now and you've got a megahit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6