• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anyone disturbed with the trend of overly sized boobs?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Masterspartan243 wrote:
Sweet mother of mammaries Batman!!!!! Shocked
I'm not disturbed by big jugs on anime women unless they are tooo big as in bigger than her face big. Some people I know who watch anime with girls with big bizzugs remember the character by that trait. When I talk about the anime they always comment on the girls rack. Also sex sells. Alot of popular games have girls with huge racks in them. It also brings more life into it kind of. Well the bouncing has life. I'm running out of synonyms for breasts. I don't really think its a big deal unless the show is about their big guns. I wouldn't watch an anime when the girls knocks people out with her giant rack. Or would I? Its just a cartoon anyway.

Well, if you need more synonyms for breasts just ask me... I've got a ton of them! Very Happy

And to the people who mentioned that Faye Valentine's breasts were large, I have to disagree. I thought her breasts were normal sized. I doubt Faye is bigger than a C cup, anyway. They looked a little big for her twiggy body, but I've dated girls with larger breasts than Faye's and didn't have a problem with it, at all!

Actually to me faye breasts looked like they sagged to me. Thats just my opinion as it seems that she doesn't wear a bra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
A little bit of sag is better than breasts that defy gravity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yes, it does disgust me. It is disturbing. I luckily haven't seen many animes with female characters like what has been discussed. The only thing that comes to mind is Lirin from Saiyuki. ._. And that disturbs me, considering the fact that she's so small and seemingly so young.

Anyway, yes, when you consider the age the character is it's evidently even more disturbing.

So there's one of many female answers.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn Monroe isn't busty in that picture. The clothes accentuate her bust to make it look more appealing.

Faye Valentine has a realistic looking bust, and that can be verified in the feature-length movie.

Anime characters are drawn out of proportion to begin with-- too skinny, too chibi, too geometric, etc. Faye Valentine is drawn as having a slender body, yet she is drawn as having the bust of a live-action character. That combination gives her the appearance of a large bust. Spike Spiegel is drawn skinner than he might be as a live-action character. Jet Black looks massive next to both Faye and Spike, and he's the most realistically drawn main character on Cowboy Bebop.

Characters from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are drawn very realistically. This makes it easy to compare people's physiques and looks. The Major was drawn as having a decent-sized bust as a real character, yet when she went online into a Laughing Man chat room her avatar was given a larger than average bust. I can't say I was complaining, but I have to say I was caught by surprise.

Kagome, Sango, and even Kagura are drawn as having good-size busts hidden by their clothing, and when they are topless and seen from the rear it can be seen that their breasts are drawn large. More shoulder was seen than breast in those moments, but the evidence was there. Again, they are drawn with slender-than-normal bodies, so that has to add to the illusion of larger-than-normal breasts.

Victoria Seras from Hellsing, was made to look realistic-- not slender, not thick. Given this drawing style, he breasts were still eye-catching. With her body type, her bust was large. I couldn't say likewise for Sir Integra Wingate Hellsing, though. Perhaps I missed something during my one viewing of the 13-episode series.

Then there's the OVA for Read or Die. The people were drawn more or less realistic-looking bodies, like the people in GITS:SAC. Even Agent Paper looked to have much more than meets the eye.

Drawing styles have a major impact on how we view characters, in the case of this thread the female characters. If we try to mentally adjust their looks to realistic-looking bodies, would we still say that the female characters have large busts?

I don't mind busts which are large or even larger-than-normal. As far as anime is concerned, the way a female character's breasts are drawn needs to be in line with the rest of the character's body. For this reason I can't handle looking at Fujiko from Lupin III-- she looks too unrealistic. (Super Milk-Chan looks unrealistic, too, but that's for different reasons.)

Here's another reason for seeing larger-than-normal busts in anime: It's easier to get away with a larger top than a larger bottom.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Oh but its not just the size that i notice, its also the clothing they wear. Some are skimpy and some are just plain revealing.

You probably live in an area secluded form society and probably don't watch TV much.

Sorry, but I like girls in skimpy clothes and big Boobs (maybe not really huge but big is good). I'm an average college guy that like to go clubbing or college parties on weekends and most girl wear very skimpy clothing.
IchigoK90 wrote:
Cloe wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:
I'm offended that you think the majority of men are like that. Sure I know alot of guys like that but I also know guys who think thats wrong.

Well, I'm sorry I offended you, but you're in the minority, honey. Men just are that way. There's nothing wrong with it; humans are sexual beings by nature. I wasn't judging, just stating a fact.

Humans aren't sexual creatures. Humans are creatures meant to seek out other humans, sex is a symbol of humans longing for a partner.

Did you learn that in bible studies? Human are sexual in nature, especially male since we're looking to plant our seed. Sure everone want a partner, that's how our society works, but that doesn't explain human sexual behavior and why sex sell so much. Take some humanities and socialology classes in college.

And why is everyone acting like huge boobs is some new trend and it's disgusting? Harem series is probably the most popular sub-genre in animefandom. You might not like it but it seem like there are countless other fans that really like that stuff.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
... watersports?

... Shibari?

... huh? o_o

You do NOT want to know. Just know that they're fairly (not totally, but still odd and a bit gross) wierd fetishes you're best off just forgetting about. In this case, ignorance is indeed bliss.

Anyway, I'm annoyed that there's a more recent trend where the breasts ARE getting bigger (sort of like how gasoline prices are always rising, but there are spikes from time to time). I mean, do they think that just because they increase the size of the breasts that their anime will sell better? I mean, I'm as much of a straight guy as most of the world's men, and I like breasts, but there IS such a thing as TOO BIG, and sometimes anime does indeed cross that line.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this supposed "trend" doesn't bother me. I am a guy who likes women with large breasts, at least a C or D cup or larger, with no max size. There are anime that I find stupid or just plain silly, who's breast size is exaggerated compared to the supposed measurements (Eiken anybody?)

Divergence Eve for me was more or less annoying because of the storyline than anything else. I found it boring.

Amazing Nurse Nanako was a turn off due to the unrealistic movement of the breasts than the size of the breasts, and the fact that Nanako was such a winey character.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-sama i've seen some of eiken and man are those breasts over exagerated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really bother me very much. Anime characters have never been known to look realistic to begin with. I guess I'm just used to it. Though I probably would be disturbed if all anime boobs got up to Eiken standard. Lol.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's another reason for seeing larger-than-normal busts in anime: It's easier to get away with a larger top than a larger bottom.

Ok, that's something that bothers me a bit more than the 'huge bust' issue. It doesn't even really offend me, it just bothers me as an artist. I dislike how, in most anime, the girls have no hips! Even the bigger busted women - they have skinny man-hips! Now that's unrealistic. Also, I don't really see why it's something they get rid of, since the curve of a woman's hips is usually thought of as attractive. Instead, they give women slim, boyish bodies, then just add on a pair of boobs and say, "Now it's a girl." I wonder if it's a weird quirk, or just lazy artists. Laughing Eitherway, everytime I see a female character in anime, I feel like saying, "Hell no, you couldn't fit a baby's head through there."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Lum wrote:
It doesn't really bother me very much. Anime characters have never been known to look realistic to begin with.

There's a lot of anime you haven't seen, my friend. Try Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc. Look at some REALISTIC anime and you'll see that there are females with normal breasts.
Lum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
There's a lot of anime you haven't seen, my friend. Try Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc. Look at some REALISTIC anime and you'll see that there are females with normal breasts.

I've seen all those anime. I'm just saying that in general, anime characters are /not/ known to have real looking bodytypes. Razz It's drawn, of course they aren't supposed to. I'm not saying that anime characters /never/ have normal breasts. And if we're going to go that far and say /realistic/ breasts. Their boobs should be a bit uneven.. sag a little.. not be perfectly round..

In any case, I think someone stated before, it's just like TV. Alot of the actresses you see on TV don't even look /normal/ They have boob jobs, or even just personal trainers which most people can't afford.

If we're gonna argue about breasts being too big, unrealistic or whatever, why not argue about how anime characters are all too skinny even when they're meant to be "chubby" compared to their fellow characters. Razz Alot of characters are just drawn how they see the "perfect" female body in their eyes.

Though I'd say what does bother me a little is when the character's breasts randomly grow a few cupsizes in one episode. Lol.

Anywho, like I said, I'm just speaking generally. I don't mean every single anime or anything like that. Since I'm sure there are exceptions but take a general look at anime.. Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Lol, I actually refuse to watch Grenadier because of the breast issue, and I'm a straight male. I don't mind a little fanservice, but I don't want to watch series where fanservice is the main selling point (though I will watch DearS one of these days, and perhaps eat those words). Big breasts are fine, but when they're overused for comedy, it makes the show dumb and insulting. Actually, I consider Winry from FMA to be one of the most attractive anime women, because she is "endowed" in a realistic way, without being superskinny or huge-breasted. But, if you don't like teh hug3 b00bz, go for shoujo series, since female characters' features are deemphasized to allow more attention to all the bishie males.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
DKL wrote:
... watersports?

... Shibari?

... huh? o_o

You do NOT want to know. Just know that they're fairly (not totally, but still odd and a bit gross) wierd fetishes you're best off just forgetting about. In this case, ignorance is indeed bliss.

Shibari.....how do I describe it cleanly.....

spoiler[Watch Samurai Movies/Animes/Dramas and watch how they restrain the criminals. And add some sexual fantasy to it and you'll get the general gist.]
kanegawa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
OKAY... Big boobs are big boobs, but i mean.. like the most of you guys say... they're fine, but not when thier max. It's like people in the vanilla series and stuff find pamela anderson x2 is great. Besides I sort of think that pamelas boobs are exagerated........ oh, well that sells..so i guess that for them its good. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22