• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Prince of Thieves wrote:

Are the novels available to read in English anywhere? I am enjoying this series enough that I would not mind investing some in it if I could find it in English.

From what I can tell, none of the light novels are officially available in English anywhere.

Unofficially, you'd be a fool to search for the translated from moon language versions.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Prince of Thieves wrote:

Are the novels available to read in English anywhere? I am enjoying this series enough that I would not mind investing some in it if I could find it in English.

google is you best friend. That's all i can say.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
The ending ruined Shironekomonogatari, so fudge it! No, him! This is the first time I was pissed off at him. Also Gaen either lied or she doesn't know everything.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
are you pissed that he spoiler[prevented the tiger from killing Hanekawa] or that he spoiler[turned her down] when she finally expressed how she feels? Both perhaps?
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
You are not very good at this.

Like the whole theme of this arc.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
@scineram I think it was supposed to mean that spoiler[you have to want to save yourself in order to be saved. Trying to save herself was the trigger that made it possible for someone else to save her. It also wasn't his problem, but he made it his problem.]
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
This was a great arc. I was so curious as to what was going to happen to Hanekawa that I read NekoWhite after NekoBlack aired and I swear, something Shaft/Shinbo adds to the show that made me it like more than when I read it.

But yeah, I remember when people on this forum talked about Monogatari more. Those were the days.
Skullface

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
@scineram

spoiler[But she did save herself??? You do realize that most of her problem was a mental thing meaning it was something that Araragi cannot help with and something she has to overcome on her own. Which she did and Araragi was only there at the end to help her to help her along AND solve her final problems which was her feelings toward him and asking for help when she truly needed it. Which was something she never did before.]

So, that whole convo with Gaen wasn't wrong because spoiler[even if Araragi did just kill the Inflaming Tiger without Hanekawa that wouldn't solve anything since Hanekawa would just go on making more and more aberrations and keep cutting her heart into pieces instead of dealing with her problems like a normal person. NO ONE could save her and she had to develop and grow as a person to be able to accept help and accept her emotions or the cycle of her creating aberrations would never end.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
how do Ararag got beat up? maybe he needs to get beat up in order to get the demon sword, Kokoro Watari, out of his body. lol
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
how do Ararag got beat up? maybe he needs to get beat up in order to get the demon sword, Kokoro Watari, out of his body. lol

he's apparently off doing something and of course got his ass handed to him while doing it.
Xshinobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
So if I want to watch this series do I start with Bakemonogatari then Nekomonogatari then Monogatari season 2?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
Xshinobi wrote:
So if I want to watch this series do I start with Bakemonogatari then Nekomonogatari then Monogatari season 2?

Yes, that would probably be the best as they were the order release.

But I will also add that Nekomonogatari is set before Bakemonogatari, and the to be released movie is set before that. I think that it does a good job of using the slightly out of order for the story.

Hope you enjoy it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Xshinobi wrote:

Yes, that would probably be the best as they were the order release.

But I will also add that Nekomonogatari is set before Bakemonogatari, and the to be released movie is set before that. I think that it does a good job of using the slightly out of order for the story.

Hope you enjoy it.

Actually, you both forgot Nisemonogatari. I'd watch them in the following order.

Bakemonogatari: This was first series to be released, in both anime and light novel form. Also my personal favorite of the series, it's available streaming right now at both crunchyroll and daisuki. One thing to note is that this series is actually 15 episodes, but only the first 12 are available at crunchyroll: it's some issue related to the way they were originally released. Daisuki hasn't finished uploading the series and only has the first 10 episodes available at the time I write this, and I don't know if they'll be eventually streaming all 15 or just the first 12 like crunchyroll. If you buy the disks you'll get all 15 episodes of course, and there are always... alternative methods.

Nisemonogatari: This series takes place after Bakemonogatari, and though it's definitely not my favorite of the monogatari series, it has some good stuff still. And some of the stuff involving Koyomi's relationship with both Hitagi and Shinobu is definitely going to be important, so you don't want to skip this. It's currently streaming in its entirety on crunchyroll, and daisuki has the first 10 episodes and should have the final 2 posted soon.

Nekomonogatari (black): This actually takes place before Bakemonogatari, but despite that, I would not recommend watching it first. This fleshes out events that were briefly talked about in Bake and leads into the next season. You can watch all 4 episodes on daisuki, which I believe is the only official english release for this.

Monogatari Series Second Season: Currently streaming on daisuki, with crunchyroll streaming the series with a month delay. This series takes place after Nisemonogatari, but the first story arc ties right into events that took place in Nekomonogatari, which is one of the reasons why I recommend watching Neko right before this.

And finally, there is Kizumonogatari, a movie that takes place before any of the other events, and is based on a light novel that was released right after Bakemonogatari. Unfortunately, this movie has not even been released in Japan yet, but if for some reason you decide to hold off on the anime until after this is available, I'd probably recommend watching this after Bake.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
since you are already 4 year's late for the party, you might as well just wait for the movie and watch in this order.
Kizumonogatari --> Nekomonogatari (black) -->Bakemonogatari --> Nisemonogatari --> Monogatari Second Season
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Actually, you both forgot Nisemonogatari. I'd watch them in the following order.

How could I forget to include that? I just took 10 points of damage to the fan pride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14