• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Serves Akadot With Cease & Desist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It is abundantly apparent that far too many people are jumping to conclusions and don't actually understand the law. If you think Akadot is a saint in this I suggest you start looking a bit deeper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Boycotting them right now after one incident is stupid.

Who says it's just one incident? Just because this is the first time you have heard of it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened before.

And boycotting them is stupid, why? Because you say so?
One of the best ways to make a statement is to vote with your wallet. If people really understood that, they could change a lot of what businesses do.

On a side note, if selling legitimate imports is such a problem why does almost every big DVD/CD retailer in the US sell them? Go take a look at Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com, CDUniverse.com, or Circuitcity.com and do a search for "import" in their music sections. You'll see tons of imported titles from all over the world.
halo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
DVDaholic wrote:
Quote:
Boycotting them right now after one incident is stupid.

Who says it's just one incident? Just because this is the first time you have heard of it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened before.

Well, I can't exactly argue that so if you have more examples of FUNimation doing this please bring them to the table.

Quote:
And boycotting them is stupid, why? Because you say so?
One of the best ways to make a statement is to vote with your wallet. If people really understood that, they could change a lot of what businesses do.

Hmm, I think I was the first person to post anything about a potential boycott, but not as the first step. Boycotts hurt more than just the business you boycott. They hurt other retailers and the consumers themselves. Boycotts are a last resort. It makes a lot more sense for the consumers to let the company know thier reasons for being upset and allowing them to rethink their position. If that fails then you boycott.

Quote:
On a side note, if selling legitimate imports is such a problem why does almost every big DVD/CD retailer in the US sell them? Go take a look at Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com, CDUniverse.com, or Circuitcity.com and do a search for "import" in their music sections. You'll see tons of imported titles from all over the world.

Lot's of people also smoke pot and do 90 mph on the freeway. Are they allowed by law to do this? No. If they do and don't hurt anyone should the cops shoot them on the spot? No. If the cops give them a ticket should the rest of the public riot in the streets because some imaginary human right was violated? No. Can the majority of anime fans think rationaly? No.

Edit: After reading Akadot's statement, FUNimation did try to contact them directly but Akdot seemed to ignore them. I still don't think FUNimation needs to crack down on importers but ignoring the facts like Akdot did is really foolish.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I think some of us are getting a little ahead of ourselves. I may not understand specific laws to any degree, but we haven't gotten that much information about the situation. I also don't think buying bootlegs will be anywhere near my alley, although anyone else may do whatever he or she likes. As for buying overpriced bootlegs from AC, that's even less appealing.

I do agree, however, that Funimation needs to think about bootlegs in addition to the Fullmetal rights. Akadot seems to have a respectable business going on, and I don't see why Funimation would want to spend the effort suing them. That's to be saved for AC.
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Pat Payne wrote:
Not to mention, if you buy bootlegs, 9 times out of ten you're helping the Triads and other organized crime groups.

That's really funny. Very Happy
And when you download bittorrant 9 out of 10 times you are spreading the word of Islam. Very Happy
halo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
And when you download bittorrant 9 out of 10 times you are spreading the word of Islam. Very Happy

No it's not funny, it's the truth. Many organized crime syndicates use bootlegging as a quick, easy way to make money. It's a very valid point. These aren't kids in the basement burning off soundtracks onto cd-r, they're very organized and often violent groups.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ialdaboth wrote:
I believe that any customer should not permit a company to infringe on what I consider their inalienable rights, which is to buy what they want as long as the content itself is legal.

Naw, a lot of consumers believe a lot of things are their "inalienable rights". That's hardly a justification. If you say that it matters that the content is legal, then why doesn't it matter if whether or not the distribution channel is legal?

Just ignore the laws you don't like?
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:

No it's not funny, it's the truth. Many organized crime syndicates use bootlegging as a quick, easy way to make money. It's a very valid point. These aren't kids in the basement burning off soundtracks onto cd-r, they're very organized and often violent groups.

Well by the very nature of managing a world wide distribution network they have to organized.

As for the violent part, unless you have proof I find it very unlikely. Think about it, you think Funimation would dare issue a cease and desist order if the Triad was going to kill them 3 generations down the line. Everyone in Funimation would have to enter the Federal Witness Protection Program for messing with the Triad.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
Pat Payne wrote:
Not to mention, if you buy bootlegs, 9 times out of ten you're helping the Triads and other organized crime groups.

I guess that means Osama bin Laden's been burning a lot of anime DVDs.

Or Family Guy DVDs. Wink
halo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:

Well by the very nature of managing a world wide distribution network they have to organized.

As for the violent part, unless you have proof I find it very unlikely. Think about it, you think Funimation would dare issue a cease and desist order if the Triad was going to kill them 3 generations down the line. Everyone in Funimation would have to enter the Federal Witness Protection Program for messing with the Triad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Triad. Ok, wiki may not be the absolute best refferance but feel free to research it yourself.

Unfortunatly, FUNimation is not targeting them but instead they are targeting an American company that, quite wrongly, thought they were doing legitimate trade. Akadot should have responded better.
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Funimation cannot take on the Triads.
It is like the pirate vs. ninja debate.
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I can't exactly argue that

Exactly, so quit making assumptions.

Quote:
Lot's of people also smoke pot and do 90 mph on the freeway. Are they allowed by law to do this? No. If they do and don't hurt anyone should the cops shoot them on the spot? No. If the cops give them a ticket should the rest of the public riot in the streets because some imaginary human right was violated? No.

Oh please. If you are going to use examples, at least make them relevant or even comparable.

I'm simply pointing out that maybe something in the "legal" argument is missing if some of the largest US retailers are selling imports out in the open, and have been for years.

Quote:
Can the majority of anime fans think rationaly? No.

At least you bothered to explain your posts. Very Happy
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
DVDaholic wrote:
Exactly, so quit making assumptions.

And this entire thread, yourself included, isn't doing just that? Do you pots just look for opportunities to call the kettle black?

Look, halo's actually kinda correct here. We know one side of the issue. One side is not the whole story. And yet, as expected, everyone immediately jumps on the "zomg funi r satin" bandwagon without bothering to consider that they're only being fed one side's potentially self-serving and sympathy-trolling take. That's not to say Akadot is intentionally skewing the facts, but there's always the chance of it, and people like many of the posters here who blindly and immediately turn on whoever they're told to without stopping to think for a second are playing right into that possibility.

The facts aren't all in, and yet so many of you act like they are. That's pretty shameful right there. Does this look bad for FUNimation right now? Yes. Is there a good chance they really are deserving of scorn here? Certainly. But honestly people, at least wait until both sides comment on the situation before turning into a brainless, drooling mob, okay?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Look, halo's actually kinda correct here. We know one side of the issue. One side is not the whole story.

Thank you.

People also seem to be forgetting that Funi isn't alone anymore- it's owned by the distributor Navarre, who DOES have a recent history of somewhat questionable actions.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I think it's about the time for lheiskell to explain it from FUNimation's perspective.

(When did Allen transfer from ADV to FUNi?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6