• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Eligible for Oscar [2005-11-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
It would be interesting, although perhaps even more unlikely, for the Academy to nominate an animated film that is not directed at children, such as JIN-ROH or MILENNIUM ACTRESS. Thus far it has been a "for the whole family" category, which is certainly not a standard they would apply to, say, Best Picture. Perhaps recognizing this, I also give Disney credit during the SPIRITED AWAY Oscar campaign for trying to get the film nominations in "regular" categories as well, including seeking a Best Director nomination for Miyazaki.

The Academy nominated Triplets of Belleville in 2003/4, and that was a PG-13 movie that didn't seem to have any child audience in mind.

I'm guessing it's going to be a race between the 2 stop-motion movies and Howl. Not entirely sure who would win, but I'm guessing Howl's Moving Castle will also get Miyazaki a Best Director nomination (because in all honesty, how many live-action directors this year really deserve the award?).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
I don't know. Who got snubbed in the LotR Reign of Terror?
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Keep in mind that the category has only been around for the past 4 Oscars.

For a niche sub-medium like anime where the films are at a "visibility" disadvantage compared to the big American animated films, one-out-of-four is actually really good.

You are right,Tenchi. That is something we should be proud of but only when we look at the situation from "our" world, if you will.

Anime IS seen as a sub-genre, apart from the whole. I'm not looking to get into that "Us vs. Them" arguement that someone accused me of earlier, but we are reminded everytime an anime comes to a theater, that it is "mostly" or "clearly" Japanese; translated as "other worldly."

All I'm saying is that Anime, or more specifically, Japanese animation or Turkish animation or Russian animation or even Korean animation should be seen simply as "animation." And they're not. I don't believe they should be seen as the "Best INTERNATIONAL blah blah blah."
I know that isn't what the catagory is called but that is how they are silently preceived, received and reviewed.

From my prespective,the Academy doesn't see animation having much weight or "as much weight as..." Their decision to reduce the amount of candidates eligible for an award suggests that TO ME. Yes, we should be glad that one of "our" films makes the cut. I would just like ALL animated films to get their due. Not just the Disney ones.

If "Howl's" wins or another "anime" wins again, wonderful. I'm not looking for the world to change with an Oscar. I am looking for opinions and perceptions to change, though.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
in terms of animation, i thought Beyond The Clouds, A Place Promised in our Early Days was a sure bet. aww, this is too bad it got overlooked. the level of animation it had felt like it had to be shown to the world, deserving the highest of praises.

I don't think that anime was eligible. It would have had to been shown at a film festival or in a theatre 6 months before its DVD release date (in the states, that is). I don't think it met this qualification.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Erufu wrote:
Ok, I would like to echo the sentiment of the person that asked what the hell Gulliver's Travel is. IMDB lists no Gulliver's Travel work that has come out in the last couple of years, google just brings up travel agencies, and the Academy Awards web site doesn't give any information about the movies eligible for this category. So, if anybody would like to fill us in, that would be great.

Gulliver's Travels is an Indian film. Thus, it's...

BOLLime!

cf. Guardian article.

So... am I great? *poses*

Widya Santoso
Wow, you are deserving of a cookie! Good job! I can't believe it was so hard to find out about that movie.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
The "academy" doesn't care about anime and they won't reward anime, regardless of how good it may be.

So SPIRITED AWAY isn't anime?

Next time, please take a couple seconds to get your facts straight before complaining about how the world is against you.

And what other anime films have won? Or how about seriously nominated having a real chance?! Thank you.

I'm not fighting with you and I don't know where the anger is coming from but dude/gal, I love you.
Well, to be fair, the animated category has only had 4-6 winners (can't remember when it started), and alot of anime have problems qualifying for the awards because there's some funny rules when it comes to foreign films and when they could show in their country and by what time they could show in the States.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:
It would be interesting, although perhaps even more unlikely, for the Academy to nominate an animated film that is not directed at children, such as JIN-ROH or MILENNIUM ACTRESS. Thus far it has been a "for the whole family" category, which is certainly not a standard they would apply to, say, Best Picture. Perhaps recognizing this, I also give Disney credit during the SPIRITED AWAY Oscar campaign for trying to get the film nominations in "regular" categories as well, including seeking a Best Director nomination for Miyazaki.

The Academy nominated Triplets of Belleville in 2003/4, and that was a PG-13 movie that didn't seem to have any child audience in mind.

I'm guessing it's going to be a race between the 2 stop-motion movies and Howl. Not entirely sure who would win, but I'm guessing Howl's Moving Castle will also get Miyazaki a Best Director nomination (because in all honesty, how many live-action directors this year really deserve the award?).
umm... Ron Howard for Cinderella Man?
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Keep in mind that the category has only been around for the past 4 Oscars.

For a niche sub-medium like anime where the films are at a "visibility" disadvantage compared to the big American animated films, one-out-of-four is actually really good.

You are right,Tenchi. That is something we should be proud of but only when we look at the situation from "our" world, if you will.

Anime IS seen as a sub-genre, apart from the whole. I'm not looking to get into that "Us vs. Them" arguement that someone accused me of earlier, but we are reminded everytime an anime comes to a theater, that it is "mostly" or "clearly" Japanese; translated as "other worldly."

All I'm saying is that Anime, or more specifically, Japanese animation or Turkish animation or Russian animation or even Korean animation should be seen simply as "animation." And they're not. I don't believe they should be seen as the "Best INTERNATIONAL blah blah blah."
I know that isn't what the catagory is called but that is how they are silently preceived, received and reviewed.

From my prespective,the Academy doesn't see animation having much weight or "as much weight as..." Their decision to reduce the amount of candidates eligible for an award suggests that TO ME. Yes, we should be glad that one of "our" films makes the cut. I would just like ALL animated films to get their due. Not just the Disney ones.

If "Howl's" wins or another "anime" wins again, wonderful. I'm not looking for the world to change with an Oscar. I am looking for opinions and perceptions to change, though.
I hope you don't think that the Academy went and reduced the amount of possible nominations for no reason. There's a rule that applies to all categories that the number of eligible candidates will determine the number of eligible nominations. That's there so there won't be 5 eligible animated films and then all 5 get nominations even though 3 could be crap. The year Spirited Away won had an enormous amount of eligible animated films *for some unexplained reason* so there were 5. This year, the number is quite less, so there's only 3 nomination spots. If you paid attention to any of the previous Academy Awards, you would notice that the number of nominations for smaller categories like wardrobe and special effects change like this every year, too.

So they didn't reduce the number of nomiations because they thought the category was inferior; they just put a rule in place to make sure the nominees deserve the spot rather than get it by default.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
Look, the Best Animated Feature is really a "visiblilty" contest; it's a sideshow category awarded primarily by Academy members who are not animation buffs, and the animated films that are the hardest to ignore, either due to box-office, FYC campaigning, or, for foreign animated films with limited releases, massive critical momentum, are the ones that get nominated.

Yes, it is an uneven playing field heavily weighted in favour of the big American family films (though nothing strictly from Disney has won yet), but that's more a result of the distribution the foreign animated films get, not a bias against foreign animated film on the part of the Academy. They can't vote for what they haven't seen. If you want awards where animation from all parts of the world has a relatively equal opportunity of actually getting nominated (and not just making the shortlist with no real chances), that's what the Annies are for.

Given that it's an imperfect world and that, for a multitude of reasons, the American animated films enjoy a hefty home field advantage at the Oscars, one out of four BAF Oscars so far is superb (or would be if I was someone who hadn't liked Lilo & Stitch better that particular year).

And the decision to reduce the number of nominees is strictly a mathematical thing; there just weren't enough animated films submitted to give the category 5 nomination berths as there were in 2002.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Mugen The Great wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:

umm... Ron Howard for Cinderella Man?

That's only one guy. Can you name 5?
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit took out the Broadcast Critics Film Award for best animated film for 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
This one is going to be between Corpse Bride and Wallace and Gromit.

Here's Hoping for Corpse Bride to Take it home!
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Given that it's an imperfect world and that, for a multitude of reasons, the American animated films enjoy a hefty home field advantage at the Oscars, one out of four BAF Oscars so far is superb (or would be if I was someone who hadn't liked Lilo & Stitch better that particular year).

Actually 2 out of 4. The Incredibles has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Monsters Inc. and Tokyo Godfathers deserved the award in 2001 and 2003, though.

I'm pretty certain Wallace and Gromit will win this year. That'll make the BAF success record 3 out of 5.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
When I said "one out of four", I was just saying the ratio of anime wins out of total BAF Oscars so far, not giving a "who should've won" opinion (well, not in the main body of the text, at least).

I agree about The Incredibles (which I think is the best Pixar film and I like it better than any Ghibli film made after Kiki's Delivery Service) and the vastly-underappreciated (compared to other Pixar films) Monsters, Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Branduil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if The Place Promised in Our Early Days can possibly be nominated next year, then. It really deserves a shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5