• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece & Tokyo Mew Mew Not Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
You turned One Piece into a children's cartoon when it was originally aimed at teens and up.

Um, what? Sure, it wasn't aimed at two year olds, but teenagers and up? You do realise it's core market demographic in America for One Piece is teens, which is somewhat bad, because that's NOT what it was meant to be.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
They're not showing repeats on the principle that they're repeats.

Cartoon Network is many things, but one of them isn't being against showing repeats. Under their normal lineup Toonami's first two shows (Dual Masters and DBZ) are repeats, so what's one more? And during their off seasons most of their lineup is repeats. What difference does one more repeat make if it means a chance at better ratings. Perhaps they don't have anything that would do better than One Piece, repeats or otherwise, and are stuck with it, who knows?

Quote:
According to several places, yes, they scheduled One Piece to air in Naruto's place.

Actually that was One Piece's slot already, Naruto now airs at 9pm EST and One Piece airs at 9:30pm, so in fact Naruto aired in One Pieces places, not vice versa like you said. When Batman aired it ended at 9:30pm which would have meant Naruto being bumped from Toonami for the weekend, instead Naruto took One Pieces place and One Piece got bumped off. For as long as Cartoon Network had their schedule up on the website (always a week in advanced, next weeks is up now) it said Naruto would be airing, not One Piece. Those third party schedules were wrong by design, they can't make changes on the fly when it comes to print, they're printed well in advanced, and digital listings like cable boxes have way too many changes to catch them all (it took my cable box two weeks to finally remove Battle B-Daman from the ABC Family schedule). It's not like Toonami was advertising One Piece all week and then showed Naruto when the time came, they did their part.

Quote:
The best slot being the last one? Actually that's considered a death slot...

More like the last chance slot. When it comes to Saturday mornings that last hour is where the shows they're trying to push the most get placed if they aren't performing as well as they want but still hold out hope for. It's like one of those "if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere" type of situations.

Quote:
the countdown was probably 4Kids' way of celebrating (what? <_<)...

Or maybe they actually wanted the fans to know it was wrapping up so they wouldn't miss it (since it never got repeated) and wanted it to go out with a bang. Either way, it wasn't left to rot in obscurity.

Quote:
the uncut DVDs were pulled out of sheer stupidity on 4Kids' part ("Hey look, the DVDs sold good! Let's cancel them anyway!" *plug = yanked*)...

Can't argue with you there, but that wasn't the point anyway. The point is at least Shaman King got uncut DVDs, even if it was just two. 4Kids could have chosen another show like Pokemon or Ultimate Muscle, but they chose Shaman King. DVDs last virtually forever so it has that much to survive by.

Quote:
and the action figures? How does that indicate success?

Who said anything about success? You said Shaman King was "left to rot in obscurity because 4Kids didn't do anything with it", and I believe I've proved otherwise by showing that they actually did do something with it, more than just license it, show it, and let it go as you implied.

Quote:
Shaman King actually had a TCG that sold very well and made up quite a bit of the profits earned from it, but Upper Deck canceled it after seeing that the ratings were shit. That's pretty much all there was to it.

Then that was Upper Deck's fault, not 4Kids. Maybe if they realized that its popularity could have been contributed to a mildly popular manga they would have kept it running, and I'm sure 4Kids didn't want to see it go. Oh well, that's their (and the fans) loss.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nameben

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
I do think that they will finish One Piece after alabasta, since it is doing bad, and I don't think they want to do all 2some episodes. I don't think it'll be long till they finish Alabasta either, because they can, as they have done iin the past, fit almost 9 episodes in one, and cut out major plot elements. Anime cry
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Cartoon Network is many things, but one of them isn't being against showing repeats. Under their normal lineup Toonami's first two shows (Dual Masters and DBZ) are repeats, so what's one more? And during their off seasons most of their lineup is repeats. What difference does one more repeat make if it means a chance at better ratings. Perhaps they don't have anything that would do better than One Piece, repeats or otherwise, and are stuck with it, who knows?

1) they really couldn't give a flying shit about the 7:00 slot
2) DBZ = cash cow

Quote:
Actually that was One Piece's slot already, Naruto now airs at 9pm EST and One Piece airs at 9:30pm, so in fact Naruto aired in One Pieces places, not vice versa like you said. When Batman aired it ended at 9:30pm which would have meant Naruto being bumped from Toonami for the weekend, instead Naruto took One Pieces place and One Piece got bumped off. For as long as Cartoon Network had their schedule up on the website (always a week in advanced, next weeks is up now) it said Naruto would be airing, not One Piece. Those third party schedules were wrong by design, they can't make changes on the fly when it comes to print, they're printed well in advanced, and digital listings like cable boxes have way too many changes to catch them all (it took my cable box two weeks to finally remove Battle B-Daman from the ABC Family schedule). It's not like Toonami was advertising One Piece all week and then showed Naruto when the time came, they did their part.

I KNOW Naruto aired in One Piece's place. It's just that many schedules listed that OP would air instead.

Quote:
More like the last chance slot. When it comes to Saturday mornings that last hour is where the shows they're trying to push the most get placed if they aren't performing as well as they want but still hold out hope for. It's like one of those "if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere" type of situations.

It's also a death slot. Yeah, putting it up against Yu-Gi-Oh! was a really smart idea! Why didn't I think of that? Well whatever, I'm not the one with the fledgling company... mhmm...

Quote:
Or maybe they actually wanted the fans to know it was wrapping up so they wouldn't miss it (since it never got repeated) and wanted it to go out with a bang. Either way, it wasn't left to rot in obscurity.

Or they just wanted to get rid of it.

Quote:
Can't argue with you there, but that wasn't the point anyway. The point is at least Shaman King got uncut DVDs, even if it was just two. 4Kids could have chosen another show like Pokemon or Ultimate Muscle, but they chose Shaman King. DVDs last virtually forever so it has that much to survive by.

Ultimate Muscle was pretty much a done deal by that time. In fact they may have even dropped it entirely (indicated by its lack of presence on 4Kids' site). 4Kids also did release an edited DVD for it, but the release was pulled because of *gasp* low sales.

Pokemon? Dude, do you know ANYTHING about 4Kids? They can't release uncut Pokemon because they were given the sublicense for it by Nintendo, and if Nintendo says no uncuts (which they have), then no uncuts. Please, do your research next time.

And 4Kids, despite good sales (it actually outsold the edited Yu-Gi-Oh! discs that were released at the time it was... hell man, it's STILL holding its own on Amazon), decided that uncut Shaman King wasn't worth their time and just pulled it. 4Kids pretty much doomed Shaman King and there's no way around it.

Quote:
Who said anything about success? You said Shaman King was "left to rot in obscurity because 4Kids didn't do anything with it", and I believe I've proved otherwise by showing that they actually did do something with it, more than just license it, show it, and let it go as you implied.

:/ Rave Master and Knights of the Zodiac had action figures, hardly anyone knows about either of them. A toy line doesn't mean it didn't rot in obscurity.

Quote:
Then that was Upper Deck's fault, not 4Kids. Maybe if they realized that its popularity could have been contributed to a mildly popular manga they would have kept it running, and I'm sure 4Kids didn't want to see it go. Oh well, that's their (and the fans) loss.

You know, the animated show actually played a VITAL role in the whole merchandising thing (which sadly didn't last long). Do you think that if the only incarnation of Shaman King in America was the manga, it would get the same merchandise it did thanks to 4Kids?

And you know it's kind of 4Kids' fault that Shaman King got bad ratings. Let's see, acquire popular anime, want to make it a hit here, OH I KNOWZ, PUT IT ON A BLOCK NOBODY GETS! Real smart, guys.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
1) they really couldn't give a flying shit about the 7:00 slot
2) DBZ = cash cow

Heh, sounds you're trying to justify you're comment about them not showing repeats to me. Just admit that you're wrong and that Toonami does show repeats whenever and wherever they want.

Quote:
I KNOW Naruto aired in One Piece's place. It's just that many schedules listed that OP would air instead.

That's not what you said before, you said "they scheduled One Piece to air in Naruto's place." Please, try to stay consistent.

Quote:
It's also a death slot. Yeah, putting it up against Yu-Gi-Oh! was a really smart idea! Why didn't I think of that? Well whatever, I'm not the one with the fledgling company... mhmm...

Actually, in 4Kids case it is smart seeing as how both shows belong to them, how can they lose? And 4Kids is hardly a fledgling company, it has been around for over 15 years.

Quote:
Or they just wanted to get rid of it.

Well, the series was finished, it's not like they were going to keep repeating it to avoid the last episode. It had to end sometime, at least it didn't go out quietly and unannounced.

Quote:
Ultimate Muscle was pretty much a done deal by that time. In fact they may have even dropped it entirely (indicated by its lack of presence on 4Kids' site). 4Kids also did release an edited DVD for it, but the release was pulled because of *gasp* low sales.

Ultimate Muscle ended on Cartoon Network just fine, there was even talk off getting Toei to do more episodes because it was doing so well. That doesn't mean that uncut DVDs weren't a possibility, in fact there was some buzz going around for a little while that the DVDs that were released would be uncut. But personally, I'm glad it wasn't uncut, some shows are just better when they're edited (Ultimate Muscle was a failure in Japan). Some shows just don't do well on DVD, especially when it comes to the finicky kids market.

Quote:
Pokemon? Dude, do you know ANYTHING about 4Kids? They can't release uncut Pokemon because they were given the sublicense for it by Nintendo, and if Nintendo says no uncuts (which they have), then no uncuts. Please, do your research next time.

I don't need to research that, I already know that. In fact I'm usually the one telling people that Pokemon doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being released uncut, have been since the 90's. I only mentioned it because it's one of the more popular arguments and with you're constant complaints of how 4Kids should push for this and Cartoon Network should fight for that I thought you could appreciate that. Would rather I had said Fighting Foodons or Kirby?

Quote:
And 4Kids, despite good sales (it actually outsold the edited Yu-Gi-Oh! discs that were released at the time it was... hell man, it's STILL holding its own on Amazon), decided that uncut Shaman King wasn't worth their time and just pulled it. 4Kids pretty much doomed Shaman King and there's no way around it.

The lack of uncut Shaman King DVDs after the initial releases didn't doom it, it was already at the tail end of it's TV airings and the manga still runs in Shonen Jump. I'd like to think that if 4Kids should change their mind on doing uncut DVDs Shaman King would be one of them, but who knows at this point?

Quote:
:/ Rave Master and Knights of the Zodiac had action figures, hardly anyone knows about either of them. A toy line doesn't mean it didn't rot in obscurity.

Hasbro canceled their Rave Master toys so that doesn't really help your argument. Knights of the Zodiac was a WORLD WIDE hit as Saint Saiya long before ADV and Dic caught on with it so it would take more than poor performance in the US for it to become obscure. Most of the people that wanted to see SS in the US already had and already had the toys before Bandai brought them over from Japan.

Besides, I never said any one thing like DVDs or toys prevented a property from becoming obscure, there are several factors involved. Not to mention that wasn't your only argument, you said 4Kids didn't do anything with Shaman King, I proved you wrong.

Quote:
You know, the animated show actually played a VITAL role in the whole merchandising thing (which sadly didn't last long). Do you think that if the only incarnation of Shaman King in America was the manga, it would get the same merchandise it did thanks to 4Kids?

Of course I don't, manga is rarely popular enough at this point to facilitate a mass market merchandise release. But when a merchandise property remains popular long after the show is gone then there's probably a reason, it's the companies own fault for prematurely ending it.

Quote:
And you know it's kind of 4Kids' fault that Shaman King got bad ratings. Let's see, acquire popular anime, want to make it a hit here, OH I KNOWZ, PUT IT ON A BLOCK NOBODY GETS! Real smart, guys.

A block nobody gets? Huh? Fox (along with WB and UPN) is a local affiliated network in most markets, most people can pick it up with a set of rabbit ears. In fact here in Maine alone we have two affiliates. Far more people have access to Fox than Cartoon Network. Hardly a block that nobody gets. Where's your research?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Heh, sounds you're trying to justify you're comment about them not showing repeats to me. Just admit that you're wrong and that Toonami does show repeats whenever and wherever they want.

If it helps you sleep at night.

Quote:
That's not what you said before, you said "they scheduled One Piece to air in Naruto's place." Please, try to stay consistent.

When I said "air in Naruto's place" I didn't mean in its time slot. I meant One Piece was supposed to air instead of Naruto. I should have made that clearer.

Quote:
Actually, in 4Kids case it is smart seeing as how both shows belong to them, how can they lose? And 4Kids is hardly a fledgling company, it has been around for over 15 years.

Yep, because helping your competitors is a FANTASTIC idea.

Quote:
Well, the series was finished, it's not like they were going to keep repeating it to avoid the last episode. It had to end sometime, at least it didn't go out quietly and unannounced.

Announced on 4Kids TV is pretty much the closest thing to being "unannounced".

Quote:
Ultimate Muscle ended on Cartoon Network just fine, there was even talk off getting Toei to do more episodes because it was doing so well. That doesn't mean that uncut DVDs weren't a possibility, in fact there was some buzz going around for a little while that the DVDs that were released would be uncut.

Buzz that apparently 4Kids created likely to shut people up. Then they announced the DVDs would be edited.

Quote:
But personally, I'm glad it wasn't uncut, some shows are just better when they're edited (Ultimate Muscle was a failure in Japan). Some shows just don't do well on DVD, especially when it comes to the finicky kids market.

You're kidding right? Success is no indication of quality.

Quote:
I don't need to research that, I already know that. In fact I'm usually the one telling people that Pokemon doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being released uncut, have been since the 90's. I only mentioned it because it's one of the more popular arguments and with you're constant complaints of how 4Kids should push for this and Cartoon Network should fight for that I thought you could appreciate that. Would rather I had said Fighting Foodons or Kirby?

Here's the thing: my "complaints" (more like harsh constructive criticism because face it, most of the stuff 4Kids does IS stupid) actually have some sort of logic to them. Saying that Pokemon could have gotten an uncut release is just stupid.

BTW saying One Piece instead of Pokemon would have been a more realistic approach.

Quote:
The lack of uncut Shaman King DVDs after the initial releases didn't doom it, it was already at the tail end of it's TV airings and the manga still runs in Shonen Jump. I'd like to think that if 4Kids should change their mind on doing uncut DVDs Shaman King would be one of them, but who knows at this point?

I'm not saying it doomed it. 4Kids doomed Shaman King as a whole. They licensed out the toys to a terrible toy company (dear 4Kids: MATTEL ONLY CARES ABOUT BATMAN AND BARBIE, that is all), they ensured that the show would have no success by putting it on a crap block at an equally crap time, they made no attempt to even ADVERTISE the damn thing or its merchandise (Hey, you know how Zatch Bell has TCG ads on-air? LEARN SOMETHING FROM VIZ, 4KIDS), which even extended to leaving it out of the 4Kids TV line-up in advertisements...

4Kids had no idea what the hell they were doing when they picked up Shaman King, and it's the same with One Piece.

Quote:
Hasbro canceled their Rave Master toys so that doesn't really help your argument. Knights of the Zodiac was a WORLD WIDE hit as Saint Saiya long before ADV and Dic caught on with it so it would take more than poor performance in the US for it to become obscure. Most of the people that wanted to see SS in the US already had and already had the toys before Bandai brought them over from Japan.

Upper Deck canceled their Shaman King toys too, funny how you were just able to gloss over that minor detail.

Knights of the Zodiac failed because the animation was old and the dub was crapshot, killing off whatever audience would have watched it anyway.

Quote:
Besides, I never said any one thing like DVDs or toys prevented a property from becoming obscure, there are several factors involved. Not to mention that wasn't your only argument, you said 4Kids didn't do anything with Shaman King, I proved you wrong.

4Kids didn't do anything with Shaman King. They got the merchandise out - so what? Any other company would have done the same. 4Kids didn't advertise it, they didn't expose it, they didn't try to make it popular. They failed horribly on Shaman King and there's no one to blame but themselves.

Quote:
Of course I don't, manga is rarely popular enough at this point to facilitate a mass market merchandise release. But when a merchandise property remains popular long after the show is gone then there's probably a reason, it's the companies own fault for prematurely ending it.

Um, I couldn't understand much of what you said. Could you re-phrase that somehow?

Quote:
A block nobody gets? Huh? Fox (along with WB and UPN) is a local affiliated network in most markets, most people can pick it up with a set of rabbit ears. In fact here in Maine alone we have two affiliates. Far more people have access to Fox than Cartoon Network. Hardly a block that nobody gets. Where's your research?

A block nobody gets indeed. Hardly anyone gets the block. What you don't seem to realize is that the airing 4Kids TV is a choice made by local affiliates, NOT the Fox network.

Not only that but so what if more people get Fox? It was still doomed for being in such a shitty time slot.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
If it helps you sleep at night.

I'm pretty well rested, thanks.

Quote:
When I said "air in Naruto's place" I didn't mean in its time slot. I meant One Piece was supposed to air instead of Naruto. I should have made that clearer.

Yep.

Quote:
Yep, because helping your competitors is a FANTASTIC idea.

Well when they're competing against their own show and they know there's nothing they can put there that will out do it they really don't have much of a choice. Either way, it's their show getting the ratings.

Quote:
Announced on 4Kids TV is pretty much the closest thing to being "unannounced".

The people who were already interested in the show saw the commercials and knew it was coming, that's what really matters. Why advertise elsewhere if those people aren't likely to watch if they hadn't already from the beginning?

Quote:
Buzz that apparently 4Kids created likely to shut people up. Then they announced the DVDs would be edited.

Actually it was created by an online retailer that made a listings error, but it was enough to make the news here at ANN and got people talking.

Quote:

You're kidding right? Success is no indication of quality.

You're kidding right? Quality is no indication of success. But what does quality really have to do with anything? If anime isn't well made it can't be popular too? Tell that Yugioh.

Quote:
Here's the thing: my "complaints" (more like harsh constructive criticism because face it, most of the stuff 4Kids does IS stupid) actually have some sort of logic to them. Saying that Pokemon could have gotten an uncut release is just stupid.

No kidding, but I already said why I chose to say that.

Quote:
BTW saying One Piece instead of Pokemon would have been a more realistic approach.

I figured where this is already a One Piece topic that was a bit of a no brainer. Sorry, thought you knew that.

Quote:
I'm not saying it doomed it. 4Kids doomed Shaman King as a whole. They licensed out the toys to a terrible toy company (dear 4Kids: MATTEL ONLY CARES ABOUT BATMAN AND BARBIE, that is all),

The number one toy company in the world I might add. They'll stop using them once they realize Mattel's other anime properties are starting to fall. But Viz uses them too so they aren't the only ones. In reality none of the major toy companies are do too well with anime based toys, Mattel might actually be doing the best.

Quote:
they ensured that the show would have no success by putting it on a crap block at an equally crap time,

Where else would they have put it? By that time they had already made their commitment to Fox for new shows. Only repeats and existing shows when to other networks.

Quote:
they made no attempt to even ADVERTISE the damn thing or its merchandise (Hey, you know how Zatch Bell has TCG ads on-air? LEARN SOMETHING FROM VIZ, 4KIDS), which even extended to leaving it out of the 4Kids TV line-up in advertisements...

I'll agree the toys didn't get advertised, but that's always up the manufacturer to do, Viz isn't the one advertising the Zatch Bell card games. As for the show, it definitely got its share of ads right on 4Kids TV, I saw them myself.

Quote:
4Kids had no idea what the hell they were doing when they picked up Shaman King, and it's the same with One Piece.

And both would remain unlicensed today just like they had for the years before 4Kids picked it up. I know you're probably thinking that they would be better off left alone, but I doubt the Japanese companies felt the same way at that point.

Quote:
Upper Deck canceled their Shaman King toys too, funny how you were just able to gloss over that minor detail.

Mattel did the toys, not Upper Deck, and I already mentioned that quite a while back.

Quote:
Knights of the Zodiac failed because the animation was old and the dub was crapshot, killing off whatever audience would have watched it anyway.

And? What does that have to do with your comment about being left to obscurity, it was never IN obscurity. Sure, maybe kids in the US aren't aware of it, but most anime fans can at least recognize the characters.

Quote:
4Kids didn't do anything with Shaman King. They got the merchandise out - so what? Any other company would have done the same. 4Kids didn't advertise it, they didn't expose it, they didn't try to make it popular. They failed horribly on Shaman King and there's no one to blame but themselves.

You sure have a high idea of just what accounts for passing and failing. Other companies might have been able to do more with it, then again maybe not. What do you think Viz would have done with it? Probably the same thing they're doing with Gash Bell; an edit only version of the show, a toy line that probably wont see the light of day (from Mattel), a card game, and a few DVDs. Gee, that sounds an awful lot like what 4Kids did. What about ADV? Probably wouldn't make it to TV, no toys, and if it didn't work out they'd just cancel it outright without ever finishing it or just rush the remainder. 4Kids did everything every other company would do and more. Just because they didn't exploit every little facet they could doesn't mean they didn't do anything with it. I forgot to mention the multiple video games which did get multiple ads. Also forgot to mention that the video game and TCG ads all pointed out that Shaman King was on Fox. It got enough advertising, there's just no making you happy.

Quote:
Um, I couldn't understand much of what you said. Could you re-phrase that somehow?

Thought that was pretty clearly put... You're right, manga rarely can maintain merchandise on its own. However, when a piece of merchandise, like a TCG in this case, remains popular even after its primary tie-in is gone, there's probably a reason for that and it's Upper Deck's fault for not trying to figure that out before canceling it.

Quote:
A block nobody gets indeed. Hardly anyone gets the block. What you don't seem to realize is that the airing 4Kids TV is a choice made by local affiliates, NOT the Fox network.

Show me a comparison between the number of markets that 4Kids TV is shown in and other kids blocks like Kids WB or Toonami and we'll see if you've got an argument. I know it's up to the affiliates, everything on their channels is up to them, but a lot of them like to leave certain things intact, usually Saturday morning and weeknights. There's still a number of areas that don't have Cartoon Network as an option from their cable providers, but they have 4Kids TV on their Fox.

Quote:
Not only that but so what if more people get Fox? It was still doomed for being in such a shitty time slot.

So you say.

Emerje
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Well when they're competing against their own show and they know there's nothing they can put there that will out do it they really don't have much of a choice. Either way, it's their show getting the ratings.

You know they don't have to continue contracting YGO! and Pokemon out to WB, right?

Besides, Yu-Gi-Oh! already airs on Cartoon Network and Kids' WB! weekdays (or it did), it could be a hit there without being a problem for 4Kids TV. Problem solved.

Quote:
The people who were already interested in the show saw the commercials and knew it was coming, that's what really matters. Why advertise elsewhere if those people aren't likely to watch if they hadn't already from the beginning?

What good does that do? If someone doesn't watch the show but would be interested in seeing it, they're kind of screwed aren't they?

Even when 4Kids TV was advertised outside of the block itself (which was and is rare), Shaman King was ALWAYS excluded. Why doesn't 4Kids actually try to get the word out that their shows are on TV? Even if everyone in the US had access to the block, it wouldn't mean anything if they didn't know it was there.

Quote:
Actually it was created by an online retailer that made a listings error, but it was enough to make the news here at ANN and got people talking.

RightStuf did that I believe, and they list all of their titles as hybrid.

Quote:
You're kidding right? Quality is no indication of success. But what does quality really have to do with anything? If anime isn't well made it can't be popular too? Tell that Yugioh.

You said that you were glad the DVDs weren't uncut because the edited version was more successful in your eyes.

Apply that logic to Yu-Gi-Oh! or One Piece, where the edited versions are crap and the uncut versions are godly by comparison.

Quote:
The number one toy company in the world I might add. They'll stop using them once they realize Mattel's other anime properties are starting to fall. But Viz uses them too so they aren't the only ones. In reality none of the major toy companies are do too well with anime based toys, Mattel might actually be doing the best.

I'm not saying it's JUST 4Kids who's stupid. BTW, while it's true that not many companies distribute anime toys, Bandai was probably the best choice to give the toy license to for One Piece, but they decided to go to Mattel.

Are there even any lasting Mattel toylines besides The Batman and Barbie?

Quote:
Where else would they have put it? By that time they had already made their commitment to Fox for new shows. Only repeats and existing shows when to other networks.

Uh, Cartoon Network/Toonami, perhaps? Considering that they were thinking about airing Yu-Gi-Oh! GX on Fox but went with Cartoon Network instead, I doubt there's any obligation to premiere their shows on 4Kids TV. In fact, they have complete control (outside of FCC laws) over what content airs on the block. Saying that they couldn't have put Shaman King on Cartoon Network is a load of crap.

Also, Cartoon Network actually DOES have some episodes of Shaman King licensed, too (if their now-defunct Saturday marathons are any indication), so I guess it's a CN thing that it's not airing anymore. Whatever, 4Kids blew their chance.

Quote:
I'll agree the toys didn't get advertised, but that's always up the manufacturer to do, Viz isn't the one advertising the Zatch Bell card games. As for the show, it definitely got its share of ads right on 4Kids TV, I saw them myself.

Right on 4Kids TV? That doesn't fly with me.

Ever think of advertising OUTSIDE of 4Kids TV? That's always within the realms of possibility (4Kids has been able to get One Piece and Sonic X ads on Fox primetime, so obviously that's not an issue). Explain why the few 4Kids TV ads there were completely DENIED Shaman King's existence.

BTW - Bandai handles both the Zatch Bell! and One Piece TCGs. If they're advertising Zatch and not OP, then obviously something's up and I'll bet my bottom dollar that 4Kids is a major factor in that (What? Advertising our product? But that would require spending MONEY!)

Quote:
And both would remain unlicensed today just like they had for the years before 4Kids picked it up. I know you're probably thinking that they would be better off left alone, but I doubt the Japanese companies felt the same way at that point.

You know FUNimation was batting for One Piece and probably for Shaman King as well?

Then there's the whole "Viz is obsessed with Shonen Jump now" thing, so they probably would have picked up Shaman King if no one else did, and with One Piece, SOMEONE would have gotten it eventually, because it's one of the most popular anime in Japan. Only a fool would want to pass it up... sucks that it was a fool that got it -_-

Quote:
Mattel did the toys, not Upper Deck, and I already mentioned that quite a while back.

Er, meant to put Mattel there, too.

Quote:
And? What does that have to do with your comment about being left to obscurity, it was never IN obscurity. Sure, maybe kids in the US aren't aware of it, but most anime fans can at least recognize the characters.

Then the dub sent that all to hell.

Anyway, I give on this little mini-argument, it's going nowhere.

Quote:
You sure have a high idea of just what accounts for passing and failing. Other companies might have been able to do more with it, then again maybe not.

I'm pretty sure anyone with some cash to blow and a logical mindset + approach would be able to make One Piece more of a hit than 4Kids was able to.

Quote:
What do you think Viz would have done with it? Probably the same thing they're doing with Gash Bell; an edit only version of the show, a toy line that probably wont see the light of day (from Mattel), a card game, and a few DVDs. Gee, that sounds an awful lot like what 4Kids did.

Um, sir? Zatch Bell! was handled by ShoPro. I know they merged with Viz, but it's still handled by the ShoPro side of things.

Zatch Bell's handling has been more successful than One Piece ever has. Not only did its merchandise actually come out within a short time period, but the edited DVDs and video games have also been selling good, and the show is pretty much a Toonami staple by now. ShoPro also said that they would produce an uncut DVD line if the edited DVDs sold well, and they have been (judging from the sped up release schedule), so we'll probably see uncuts in the future.

What about One Piece? It took MORE THAN A YEAR for 4Kids to release the DVDs, the video games and TCG probably aren't going to continue much past where they are with 4Kids' bumbling "support". They waited 7 months too long to put the show on Toonami. They completely rushed the dub and "simplified" it for the kids who wouldn't watch anyway, and by throwing in all the little bells and whistles they thought were so necessary, they annihilated a good fraction of the older audience. Who's left? The otaku audience, who they've pissed on too many times to please.

And if Viz acquired One Piece, it'd probably be handled more like Naruto is (not speaking dub wise). For god's sake, the Naruto TCG is already out in stores and the apparel was in Hot Topic even BEFORE the show hit U.S. shores. What does One Piece have? A single T-shirt. After over a year. The Narultimate Hero games have already been confirmed for U.S. release and were licensed several months before the show itself. How long until Bandai brings over Fight For One Piece or Grand Battle III? Or before Dimps makes a sequel to the first GBA game?

Quote:
What about ADV? Probably wouldn't make it to TV, no toys, and if it didn't work out they'd just cancel it outright without ever finishing it or just rush the remainder.

Uh, if you're referring to the Saint Seiya fiasco, that was suspected to be Toei's fault. And ADV actually has gotten their shows on TV (Eva being the most recent example), so don't say they would have made it a DVD-only thing.

4Kids did everything every other company would do and more. Just because they didn't exploit every little facet they could doesn't mean they didn't do anything with it.

Quote:
I forgot to mention the multiple video games which did get multiple ads.

On Adult Swim where only a minority would buy them. Seriously, that's the ONLY place I saw any ads for the video games, and even then it was only for Grand Battle Rush. Why didn't they try to advertise them on Toonami? Oh, wait, I know - that'd be logical.

Quote:
Also forgot to mention that the video game and TCG ads all pointed out that Shaman King was on Fox. It got enough advertising, there's just no making you happy.

What Shaman King adverts? You mean the ones you conjured up in order to make an argument? Not working. Also I've already addressed the whole "promoting it on Fox" thing.

Quote:
Thought that was pretty clearly put... You're right, manga rarely can maintain merchandise on its own. However, when a piece of merchandise, like a TCG in this case, remains popular even after its primary tie-in is gone, there's probably a reason for that and it's Upper Deck's fault for not trying to figure that out before canceling it.

The thing is that the TCG was popular WHILE the show was on the air. Not after.

Quote:
Show me a comparison between the number of markets that 4Kids TV is shown in and other kids blocks like Kids WB or Toonami and we'll see if you've got an argument. I know it's up to the affiliates, everything on their channels is up to them, but a lot of them like to leave certain things intact, usually Saturday morning and weeknights. There's still a number of areas that don't have Cartoon Network as an option from their cable providers, but they have 4Kids TV on their Fox.

Okay, may have jumped on the "4Kids TV airs hardly anywhere" bit.

However, there are at least 17 million people who receive Cartoon Network (Nielsen families), but there are only about 10 million 4Kids TV viewers. Something that could be helped, no doubt, by advertising.

Edit: something I thought of - say CN told 4Kids that they should keep the dub accurate (script and music) and censor it less. Al Kahn admitted that re-scripting and re-scoring, in the end, was a more expensive process, and digital paint obviously costs money, so if anything 4Kids would probably be HAPPY that CN would want that, because it means they wouldn't have to blow as much. But knowing them, they'd probably go ahead with the opposite just to spite them... 4Kids is a really immature company -_-
MysticDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen a few episodes on Foxbox but they keep starting over.
Why is the world of television so creul? Always starting a series over and not getting anywhere fast?
I want the Dvd. It is a good series it deserves one. Sad
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Where did this come from? Meaning I would like a link as I can't find it on the Main Page.
relak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
at least you guys got those shows in USA. We dont have MEw Mew here, and one piece is in a crappy locally done english dub(yes worse than 4kids's)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian wrote:
Where did this come from? Meaning I would like a link as I can't find it on the Main Page.

The article is ancient.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-11-23/one-piece-and-tokyo-mew-mew-not-canceled

And ultimately, 4Kids appears to have lied.

-t
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Canuckian wrote:

The article is ancient.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-11-23/one-piece-and-tokyo-mew-mew-not-canceled

And ultimately, 4Kids appears to have lied.

-t

Oh wow, that thread is nearly a year before I registered...And yes as it seems 4Kids Lied.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian wrote:
Oh wow, that thread is nearly a year before I registered...And yes as it seems 4Kids Lied.

It's a common practice, and not completely a lie. Shows are taken off the air, and the parties involved don't necessarily want to admit that they are canceling the shows. Sometimes they just don't want to deal with the fan outrage (in which case it is a lie), but other times they want to leave the door open for a future return.

Also, the word "canceled" is bad for the property's value...

-t
MysticDreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Though they might as well tell us it got cancelled. Instead of having people anxious to know when they are gonna be back on the air, when there not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6