• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back in the Side Saddle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
This whole HD thing just feels like a forced, rushed, and largely unnecessary upgrade. And I do mean "forced" and "rushed." Major TV manufacturers were quick to abandon SD displays (and CRT tech in general; HD CRTs didn't last long on the market)
That's more to do with the VERY slow adoption of ATSC/DVB-S2/T2. MUSE/Hi-Vision compatible CRT HDTVs have been around in Japan since the late 80's. The large legacy install base of CRT HDTVs, with their associated interlacing and overscan issues, are the reason many BD releases in Japan were windowboxed (and a handful still are), and why 720i releases still crop up every now and then.
Quote:
DVDs still for the bulk of the market share IIRC
And VHS held the majority market share until DVD took over. Install base trumps technical superiority until price drops enough and the old equipment starts breaking.

9 times out of 10, those I've met who've said they've "never seen the difference between SD and HD" are basing their decisions on poor setups. Stores are especially bad and at this, and a fun passtime for massive nerds such as myself is guessing whether a store HDTV demo kiosk is using composite or SCART. I very rarely find one even using HDMI (or even component), let alone one actually running at anything other than 480p. And that's with the TV in 'demo mode' with contrast and saturation turned up to eye-bleach levels.
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Digitization is not a video error. I think you mean compression. I will put it to you this way: I look for language in product reviews that isn't vague or ill-informed. I also look for screen caps of various releases. If I can contrast and compare proper analysis of the video alongside stills of it, I can make an informed decision about what I'm buying.

There is no room for extravagent apologetics in the consumer world. If something is flawed, let's own up to it. It's been acknowledged in this thread that people on the whole probably don't care anyway, but for those of us that do it's important to be thorough and accurate. You're entitled to an opinion, but you are mistaken if you think that all of the people who disagree with you are doing nothing different. Posters like hissatsu describe their dissatisfaction in terms of video errors and they can back up their claims with evidence. We're not talking about genre preferences here: poor video processing is most definitely distinguishable from sophisticated varieties.

It's really juvenile that you'd bust out with all this nonsense and then label all the people who might disagree nefarious internet critics. You're not a part of the solution; you're a part of the problem. And it's not that you have poor eyesight or bad taste; you just don't know what you're talking about. Describing poor video quality entails a discussion of errors; it's not a verbal slugfest. I would be delighted if someone would join us in actually caring about this stuff, but most people simply cannot be bothered to learn or think critically about it. That doesn't make anyone stupid, but it is ignorant, especially when you presume to inform others.

I think perhaps you missed my point. I don't claim to be an expert (and that was what my so-called "wish-washy beckpedaling" was about, I guess)-- I just wanted to explain that on the one hand I do appreciate good-looking releases and am not sitting at home with an old tube TV and a VHS player, but on the other hand I am not a serious videophile with a professional setup and a tendency to nitpick even the tiniest of flaws-- I.E., probably an average viewer. If that came off as "defensive" to you, I'm sorry; I was simply attempting to distinguish myself from the users who ARE in fact serious videophiles, since those are the people the vast majority of reviews are coming from despite the fact that, presumably, the vast majority of viewers are not. I am sure that all of the aforementioned blu-ray releases are full of errors that someone of that ilk would care about, but I wanted to express my opinion that, most likely, your average viewer wouldn't care or wouldn't notice these errors.

I understand your point that you shouldn't have to settle for a lesser-quality product, but in the case of something like FLCL, unless you want to go looking for ancient out of print DVDs, the lesser product may be your only legal choice for seeing or owning the show. Believe it or not, I also try to look for lots of information about a show I'm buying before I buy it (and if, like in the case of Champloo, there seems to be a lot of negative discussion, I look for comparitive stills and clips as well.) It just so happens that I, unlike the many videophiles who have complained and posted negative reviews about the releases, did not find the new sets to be less visually appealing than either the older sets or, in the case of FLCL, simply not owning the set at all. And THIS is why I felt the desire to post an "ill-informed" review: because the vast majority of reviews of these sets, from what I personally found trying to decide when I was buying them, were from people who did "know the terminology" and who were extremely serious videophiles and who would rather not own a series than own an "inferior" copy. Since (also in my personal opinion, as everything here is, as I not only mentioned in my original post but even explained that therefore I, just as anyone else posting an opinion on something, might not be a trustworthy source) I feel that your average anime fan, even your average anime fan with a blu-ray player, is NOT any of those things, I felt that some fans who would actually be perfectly satisfied with the quality of the releases might be dissuaded from buying them because of those reviews. You say that the discussion needs to be in technical terms, but if you aren't someone who knows the technical terms, extremely technical reviews mean nothing to you. Every review I found looking up these series before buying them was either highly technical and negative (not helpful to your average fourteen year old fan) or just baselessly negative (reviews that went something like "oh man the video is really bad it sucks don't buy it"), which is not helpful to anyone. If your average fan sees only reviews like these, of course they aren't going to buy the product-- even if they wouldn't actually have any issue with it.

My only aim in posting was to put out a non-technical (and if you don't think there's a place for non-technical discussion of video, that's your opinion), counter-balancing-ly positive review to simply provide another viewpoint. You said my statement about critics was "juvenile," but I was not throwing up my arms and saying "sigh, everyone's a critic and I am so persecuted" (which, yes, would certainly have been juvenile, and also utterly stupid) but rather that generally speaking, *the people who post reviews of things on the internet are generally very critical viewers-- critics.* Again, I was merely making an attempt to differentiate my opinion from the majority of opinions that have been floating around the internet.

I'm sorry you think I'm "part of the problem," but you also have to remember that not everyone feels that all video discussion must be in technical terms or in extreme specifics. Another user meekly posted something along the lines of "I must be the only person who thinks this blu-ray release looked good," and I think that's telling-- your average user is uncomfortable admitting that they liked any upscaled region 1 release because so many very vocal people have expressed such negative opinions about them. The vocal videophile segment of the reviewers has made it practically impossible to express a positive opinion on anything they found flaws with without sounding like an idiot, despite your assurance that "that's your opinion." (And you couldn't even give me that without the caveat of "you don't know what you're talking about.") Frankly, that's what I started out saying I thought the releases looked "fine" and not "good:" I was afraid that if I actually admitted that I thought the releases looked good, that I would have absolutely no credibility, as thinking recent region 1 upscales look good is simply an opinion you aren't allowed to have without being branded "ill-informed" stupid or tasteless.

I'm sorry I didn't use the language you would have liked me to to express my opinion, but my original post was not directed *at* people who are serious videophiles or who are neck-deep in the language of technical video review, but rather was simply intended to be a *counterpoint* to it. If I offended you or made you angry or whatever, that was not the point or the intention. But I think I am allowed my opinion, not-technical as it is, without being patronized or called names.

So here's my new review, tailored to be as inoffensive as possible: I am an average anime fan who likes blu-rays because to my very personal and subjective eyes they generally look better than DVDs. I am not a video expert, so if you're a video expert, stop reading, because you are probably going to disagree with me. But maybe not, since this is an opinion piece and everyone has a different opinion. I personally, subjectively hold the opinion that I liked the region 1 blu-ray releases of Samurai Champloo and FLCL. Personally and subjectively, with no offense meant towards people who do not hold these views, I thought they looked GOOD. Not just fine, but GOOD. If, personally and subjectively, I had to choose between my old DVDs of Samurai Champloo, in which, to my personal and subjective ears, the audio is unbalanced and, to my personal and subjective eyes, the compression (which, for the record, I do know what is, believe it or not!) was not very good and made the colors, in my personal and subjective opinion, look dark, pixellated and not-so-good, I would personally and subjectively choose the newer blu-ray release. Similarly, if I had to pick between the new blu-ray release of FLCL and not owning FLCL, I would pick the new blu-ray release, as my invisible non-existent DVDs give me very little pleasure. I apologize off the bat to anyone who disagrees with me, and now I will crawl into my hole of apparently-poor-visual-fidelity and stop talking.[/quote]
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of HD.

Y'know, when DVD first came out back in 1997, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Having grown on during the VHS era (I'm 31 now), I remember seeing the demo kiosks in Wal-Mart's electronic section and being amazed... no, absolutely blown away at how great the video quality was. The switch to HD never really gave me that same feeling. Playing current-gen video games in HD or watching HD television broadcasts hasn't impressed me. Not to say I don't think they can look nice on a good set (most I've seen have all sorts of nasty artifacts, but some are quite nice). It just lacks that "WOW!" factor that it's supposed to convey. Likewise, the first time I saw HD-DVD and Blu-ray, I was like "meh." Since then, I've seen some good HD setups (usu. on plasma screens; LCDs have always had worse color fidelity compared to plasma or CRT) where the picture from a BD looks really good, but it still doesn't feel like the same huge leap in quality that was between VHS and DVD. It doesn't give that "Awesome! I've got to get me that!" vibe DVD did.

Of course, HD brings with it compatibility issues as well. Many if not most things from the SD era look like ass when displayed on an HDTV. For example, do you still play your old 20th century game consoles? Tell me they don't look horrible on an HDTV. And of course we have the whole thing about upscaled DVDs and BDs of pre-HD digital animation. Whether it's old games or anime from '00s, it seems to me that your best bet is to stick with an SDTV.

This is mostly how I feel,but I do love me some Atari on a friends bigscreen flatscreen HDTV.

This whole HD thing just feels like a forced, rushed, and largely unnecessary upgrade. And I do mean "forced" and "rushed." Major TV manufacturers were quick to abandon SD displays (and CRT tech in general; HD CRTs didn't last long on the market) well before there was enough HD channels on TV or a large enough HD home video market to warrant it (DVDs still for the bulk of the market share IIRC). The whole thing just baffles me. Maybe it's the Mr. Old-school-tech guy in me (I don't own an MP3 player or even a cell phone, I still buy CDs, my computer is nearly 7 years old, etc.). But in any case, I don't dig the whole HD thing as much as most people do. And don't get me started on the headache that is 3D.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Quote:
Unless you're running a 200" screen in your basement or sit a foot away from a 50" screen, 1080p is very usable.

This is the same argument that the SD fanboys use, that anyone who believes that there is a level of "good enough" (ie "usable"). On a 1080p monitor, pixels can still be distinguished with the naked eye; we can do better. 1920*1080 is only ~2 MP after all. I'm sure 1024*768 is "very usable" as well, but I don't want to go back to it.

It's not quite the same as with SD; the seating distance required to perceive the maximum detail out of 1080p is very comfortable for the typical viewing angle of 36 degrees. Sure, 2K+ in a sense would be "better", but you wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference unless you were much closer to the screen. Therefore, it's really only useful for a large monitor when photo editing or a giant theatre screen.

@HJSoulma: The gesture doesn't go unnoticed, but whether or not you are offensive is not the issue. What's problematic here is misinformation. If you're willing to write five paragraphs about your opinion, I should think you owe it to yourself and your audience to simply distinguish where the facts begin and supposition ends.

It's not a question of "do or die" for this release, either. Both of these titles are available for streaming on FUNi's website.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Just a few minor corrections on the first question:

Quote:
Was that just an April Fool's joke, or is this real? If it is, delusional Yu-Gi-Oh! fans the world over can enjoy a brief, false hope at the perceived possibility of getting the respect and the proper treatment it doesn't actually deserve, if 4Kids does indeed lose the rights to market a kids show as a kids show.

Seriously guys. It's a kids show. If you still like it, that's cool. I'm not criticizing. Can we all please come back down to earth though and stop pretending that 4Kids is 'ruining' Yugioh by selling it as a kids show? They're just doing exactly what needs to be done to sell a Japanese kids show to an American audience and it's exactly what whoever picks up Yugioh after 4Kids collapses will do.

Which probably means your a supporter of them. Just because it's a trading card anime series does not neccessarily mean it's for kids. For teenagers in the 12-17 boys demography,yes. But not for the demography of the audience for 4kids (7-11).

And they definitely have innapropriate content for all three series that 4kids butchered,other than the talk of killing and death, (I checked Wikipedia fro my info ) even though American cartoons like Ben 10:Alien Force and Generator Rex talks about klling and death. Like it or not , the series is mainly for young teenagers, not for the kids demo that 4 crap kids are targeting.

Hey Answerman wrote:
] Yu-Gi-Oh! is considered a children's property, first and foremost. Far be it from me to dash all your hopes and dreams of watching uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! released by Funimation (you know, provided they'd still be interested in the series after the first time the uncut DVDs failed to sell), and all the joy that would bring. But what if it wasn't? What if it was given to Nelvana? What if, oh dear God, TVTokyo dubs it themselves? Eesh. I understand that nobody likes 4Kids, but trust me, it could be worse. If not worse, then it could be just as bad.

Actually, it could.

They could face the same fate as the other Shouen Jump series (Gintama & Eyeshield 21 ) and be under the mercy of the mainly sub only companes ( Secton 23/Sental Filmworks and/or Media Blasters) who also does the same policy and give the series ENGLISH SUB-ONLY RELEASES

Good for otakus and dub haters,bad for dub pursuits and dub lovers like myself.

BUT I kinda doubt TV Tokyo and Konami would allow that. I do not see Funi doing a rescue since thei already have one pice , So I would give a 70-80% that it'll be Viz Media to get the license. Though I wont not be susprise if they get help from CN,if it mean their able to get Dan Green to return as Yugi/Yami since he's done some voice work for some of CN's series (naimly the new pokemon season )

Hoever if TV tokyo does it's own dubbing, it would be interesting cause they cant be as bad as the horror that is 4kids,or their asian counterpart Animax Asia.

And besides, I'll gladly take a dub from TV Tokyo over one from Nelvana , cause they would HAVE to do the same edits as 4kids , if not worse to keep it as a "kids show".

Quote:
Personally I want some kind of higher answer on the matter. I believe the series is too popular not to get a revival at some point. Sure I could watch fansubs online, but I'm one of those crazy people that have to own it and support the people who made it.

Your not the only one that agrees. SM is the main reason my sister is even into anime. Also it's one of my fav magical girl series (next to card captor sakura & mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha ) I even have the old VHS of the DIC dubs that ADV released during the late 90's. ( Though was seriously pissed that they did an uncut sub only version for the DVDs)

Was definitely delighted that the manga is being revived, but I too also hope the anime version gets revived , especially the sailor stars series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Conspiracy theories are fun and all, but as he said in that ancient interview, he's in it for the money, and that comes from catering the show to the masses.

Question is, who are the purse strings held by "the masses?" Unless i'm missing job opportunities outside of chores around the house a/or gifts from relatives.

But as I stated before, this guy was in it to make money, so why did he blow off an opportunity like this? Don't forget the lack of "merchandising" for One Piece as well.....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

But as I stated before, this guy was in it to make money, so why did he blow off an opportunity like this? Don't forget the lack of "merchandising" for One Piece as well.....

One Piece was doing crap on U.S. TV; probably why the merchandise licensee buyers didn't take the bait. Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

One Piece was doing crap on U.S. TV; probably why the merchandise licensee buyers didn't take the bait. Laughing

Still, shouldn't 4Kids have done the stuff beforehand?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Still, shouldn't 4Kids have done the stuff beforehand?

Sell the merchandise licenses before the TV showing is a success?
Kakugo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
I understand your point that you shouldn't have to settle for a lesser-quality product, but in the case of something like FLCL, unless you want to go looking for ancient out of print DVDs, the lesser product may be your only legal choice for seeing or owning the show.

Or you could always buy FUNi's DVD, released day-and-date with their new Blu-ray. It may or may not have the same Q-TEC issues as the Blu-ray, I honestly don't know, and I'm quite happy with my old Sync Point box set for the time being.

HJSoulma wrote:
I'm sorry you think I'm "part of the problem," but you also have to remember that not everyone feels that all video discussion must be in technical terms or in extreme specifics.

Not to single you out, but this really needs to be said more often: If you don't know the specifics, you aren't qualified to post an actual review on wither a release is or is not good, at least not in the capacity so many people seem to be in when they review DVD and Blu-ray. That doesn't mean you can't say "Well, I think it looks pretty good!" on a relevant forum, but you shouldn't be looked towards as a person who can objectively call something "high fidelity" or not, either.

The issue with FLCL and (especially) Samurai Champloo isn't "they were upscales". It's that they were heavily processed upscales that look worse than they should have. Samurai Champloo used DVNR to remove simulated film grain which was added by the animation staff to evoke a grittier, old-fashioned look to the art design. This isn't a "flaw" inert to the animation like the aliasing on FLCL, it was a stylish choice that FUNimation's upscale removed. And before anyone suggests that upscaling itself removed grain, their release of Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne contains a similar layer of digital grain, giving us a rough idea of what Samurai Champloo could have looked like had they handled it properly.

I'm also a bit confused why you'd start your defense of FLCL and Samurai Champloo with the following:

HJSoulma wrote:
I can't prove my credentials, obviously, but I can promise you I do have a stake in visual fidelity-- I like things that are aesthetically pleasing, don't like watching things on computers because they never look quite "right," don't buy useless upscales (I.E., lots of pre-HD/post-digital anime really doesn't look any different on blu-ray or DVD)...

You don't watch things on a computer, despite an LCD TV and a computer monitor being the same exact technology? You also don't buy useless upscales, but you're defending Samurai Champloo and FLCL? Two "useless" upscales that, incidentally, represent some of the very worst the R1 market has to offer*?

Anyway, I've spent so much time pouring over the how and why of FLCL that I've given up. The DVD look bad, the Blu-ray looks bad, but they're such different ends on the "bad" spectrum that it's hard to recommend one over the other. The Blu-ray is probably the lesser of two evils, but it's a thinner line than it had to be - and that's exactly why I'm so upset about it. Had FUNimation performer their own upscale - the same as they have for titles like Guyver, Ouran and Mnemosyne - instead of using the Q-Tec transfer made for Starchild, there'd be no arguments: The FUNimation FLCL Blu-ray transfer would be the best release anywhere in the world, and more or less impossible to top. Sadly, that's not what happened.

Keep in mind that the "average user" likely wouldn't care that there are issues with the upscaling method used, so the videophiles have to voice their negativity that much harder. The majority of end users aren't super-picky, but that means their complacency and ignorance damage the product for the rest of the audience that does care.

*Well, THE worst is the composite-video sources upscale of Ghost in the Shell included as a bonus feature... but let's not even go there.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Have the stuff lined up first and then release them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Have the stuff lined up first and then release them.

But wouldn't the prospective merchandise licensees wanna wait to see if the TV show is a success first, before committing to buying the license and producing merchandise, so they don't lose money?
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
[Progress always does feel that way, to some. SDTV was limited to a 640x480 resolution, maximum. That resolution, VGA, was surpassed LONG ago in the 1990s. How you can state that anything at a low resolution looks on-par with something at a much higher resolution leads me to believe that you have yet to experience true "HD". More pixels, more detail. More detail gives a better picture.

What I said was that, for me, it doesn't feel like the same massive leap in quality as was the jump from VHS to DVD. That's not to say it's not a big improvement if you have the right gear. I have on occasion seen some good HD setups (always with plasma displays) and yes, it does look much better than standard-def in such cases. When visiting my parents for Thanksgiving & Christmas last year, we watched some movies on BD (they had just bought a player a few months earlier), and I was impressed at the sharpness and color fidelity. It was the first time I saw something that really showed off what HD was capable of and really made me want to join the HD age. Nevertheless, as nice as it was it lacked the massive "Wow!" factor I experienced when I first laid eyes on the DVD format back in '97.

Quote:
It's not that a 20th century looks like crap on an HD display so much as that the picture from a 20th century console looks like crap in general, and now you can truly see its flaws. PS3 vs PS2 on a 1080p display? Nolo contendere.

Aye, but SD doesn't look like crap on an SDTV. I don't recall people in the 20th bemoaning the lousy picture of their flat-screen Sony Trinitron Wegas, wishing for the day when someone invents a big-screen 1080p LED-backlit LCD TV. SD stuff looks perfectly fine on a good SD display. Sure, it might not look as good as, say, Avatar on BD in full HD on a good plasma screen, but it was more than acceptable for its time. Even today, only the snootiest of videophiles can honestly say that a DVD viewed on a good SD display will elicit a response of "OMG! How horrible! It burns teh eyez!" from them. My mid-90s Toshiba still serves me well to this day and the picture is perfectly fine when playing my SNES or watching my DVDs.

SD does look like crap when played on an HDTV, though. Playing DVDs on a BD player with a built-in upscaler does offer improvement, but if you're watching a broadcast of a program that's not in HD (which you'll still get even on HD channels), or playing any video game system other than a 360 or PS3 and thus don't have the option of an upscaler, the picture's going to look like garbage. I don't know why anyone would want to play their old SD stuff on anything other than an SDTV. It's a good thing SDTVs can still be found even though the major TV manufacturers have abandonded them, because I'll rue the day when I'm forced to play my old systems on an HDTV (that is unless there's some kind of converter box that makes them look less like ass and the TV guy at Best Buy was just ignorant of them). There's still room for the old cathode ray tube, even if it's just for displaying pre-HD legacy media.

Quote:
However, CRTs are dangerous, extremely bulky, and have a nigh-insatiable thirst for electricity.

Dangerous? Are you talking about the negligible (well below safe levels) amount of radiation they emit, or the e-waste aspect (something shared by any electronic device)? As for bulk, yes, they're heavy — and most people seem to put convenience above almost all else, so the relatively lightweight flat panel displays have the edge there —, but honestly, how often does the average person move their TV? Electricity consumption? Maybe an issue for some, but not a consideration if picture quality is your main deciding factor. Besides, how much does running one's TV contribute to their power bill (and consequently their carbon footprint)? Less than 2% per screen? My 19" Toshiba probably uses about the same amount of electricity as a single incandescent bulb.

I imagine the smaller dimensions & weight (and thus convenience) for a given screen size and larger available screen sizes of new displays (CRTs were limited to around 40") were the main deciding factors for HD CRTs (they did make those) not becoming a mainstream display rather than anything having to do with elecricity use, environmental concerns, or picture quality.

Quote:
CRTs also have issues with refresh rate & induced eystrain. Especially on older CRT devices, one can view the "bands" as the TV updates. They also have issues with processing digital input, which puts them behind in the digital age. That decades-old VGA plug needed to be retired. HD tv sets eliminate most all of these issues. Progress is a good thing.

As I mentioned earlier, they made HD CRTs for a short while, and CRTs have several advantages over other displays, including superior color fidelity, contrast, black levels, response time (a boon for gamers), and viewing angle. Of the extant displays, I'd have to go with plasma since it offers better color, contrast, and blacks than LCD, which I consider the least impressive of the mainstream displays (IMO, plasma's biggest weakness is the lack of smaller screens; I'd have to buy a whole new entertainment center if I bought a plasma screen).

I was interested in those new "SED" and "FED" displays, as I hear they offer the advantages of CRT while eliminating its weaknesses. Unfortunately, they will likely never be commercially available.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
@Deadwing: CRTs are chock full of cadmium IIRC. And you do realize that SD on an HD display is necessarily scaled to the native resolution (and deinterlaced, if applicable) regardless of whether or not you use your BD player to do so, right? It's just that your BD player probably has better hardware going for it.

SD has its limitatations, but it shouldn't look like "crap" (CD?). If it does, it's either poor source material, poor encoding, or poor processing. Just because something is in HD doesn't eliminate these considerations, it only opens the door wider to what is and isn't possible with materials that are up to spec.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4