• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Freezing (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
you already answered your own question, but come on, really? one of the strongest warriors in the world and you're suprised when she shows us why?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
My Name's Not Rick! wrote:
you already answered your own question, but come on, really? one of the strongest warriors in the world and you're suprised when she shows us why?

If memory serves correctly, this is her first time fighting in the anime, right? I was surprised since she was able to defeat spoiler[Gina easily when the latter posed a dangerous threat already.] Even if she was top 5, I couldn't predict exactly how she would fight against someone who grew that amount of power with the Mark IV since up to this point, no one really knew how strong the Mark IV would influence an E-Pandora at its full potential.

And by the way Gina was already fighting with Mark IV, she was dangerous enough. And also, the fight wasn't exactly a squash match. Charles did struggle a little in the fight if you took notice even. So yeah, it was surprising to me in a way, maybe not to you but to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
with a show as straightforward as this, It's just seems so obvious that that would be the most logical outcome. they didn't finish that mock fight and since Satella could still keep up with her, it leads me to conclude a higher ranked individual like Charles could easily win that fight.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One thing that surprises me is that after 4 eppies, so little of it has had to do with the relationship between Bridget and Kazuya. That was sort of the crux of the first season so it's a little odd that it seems to be neglected, so far.

I'm not having a problem with it, though, because Satellizer as a character was not what kept me watching the original series; in fact, I probably watched it in spite of her rather than because of her because, personality-wise, she's one of the weakest of the regularly-recurring characters in the cast. And I always did like Elizabeth because she always seemed dignified (yes, even while swimming in the nude) and above the bullying crap that went on, so I'm pleased to see her getting quite a bit more screen time here. Also, I find the current story arc quite a bit more compelling than anything in the first series was.

One-Eye wrote:
I'm not a fan of Freezing but I also think that it isn't so much a traditional bullying angle that we see in a normal school setting. I mean it certainly is bullying, but its more like military hazing. Satellizer is seen by both the teachers and students as a violent delinquent. She has a rep that follows her from her previous school and one that she doesn't fix because her social skills suck and she has a lone wolf personality. So, she doesn't get much sympathy from anyone. Her lone wolf personality also doesn't mesh well in this military academy nor would it in a military unit. It doesn't really scream team player or follows orders well. Now when you consider that there's an expectation of respect from underclassmen to seniors in a military academy to reinforce chain of command, plus the whole Sempai-Kouhai dynamic thrown in, you might see how Satellizer sticks out like a nail that needs to be hammered down. This is pretty much what the upperclassmen are trying to do which is to make her "shape-up". Of course, it doesn't work and then things start to get nasty and threaten to get personal. So, I think nobody really objects because Satellizer doesn't have a lot of fans to come to her defense.

While this position has some merit, I still maintain that the brutality and vindictiveness with which it was carried out goes well beyond just establishing a proper pecking order. I always hated that about the first series, which is why I am enormously glad that they have not gone in that direction here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While this position has some merit, I still maintain that the brutality and vindictiveness with which it was carried out goes well beyond just establishing a proper pecking order. I always hated that about the first series, which is why I am enormously glad that they have not gone in that direction here.

Oh, I wasn't trying to justify it. I was mainly trying to explain it from where the show seemed to be coming from. They did say that Satellizer would "bare her fangs" at the upperclassmen and they talked about respect, hierarchy and order. Now I could see why the situation would escalate, but I agree with you it wasn't an ordinary brawl and the level of brutality and squickiness was a little much for me too. As I said in my post its not a very strong argument, but that's really all they give you in the show. I mean I wasn't really comfortable with the level of brutality in the carnivals they had. It didn't really seem to foster team building--which seems to be the most important thing when fighting Nova--and if anything it would make it easier for students to be comfortable brutalizing each other outside of the carnival as they've become inured to that level of violence.

You would expect any violence between Pandoras to be rare and punished by the military institution. I mean they might tolerate some, especially if they want a troublemaker to be bounced out of the program, but even Satellizer is not the only one that gets into scrapes. Kazuya and his friends get jumped by 3 Pandora as well and because of this it gives you the impression that it happens a lot more often. So much for the rule that Pandoras aren't supposed to fight one another. I don't think we ever saw those 3 girls get punished did we? So yea, I don't watch the show because it makes sense. I actually do like Satellizer's character and her seiyuu. I also like some of the character designs and finally in some ways its so bad that I...can't look away. Embarassed
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Yes, the character designs are one of the prime draws of the series, aren't they? Wink

And that's another reason why Elizabeth is my favorite: she had probably the prettiest character design in the series, and it's a mature rather than cutesy pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
that piano piece that Charles was listening to sounded very familiar. anyone know what it was?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I believe it was "Lick My Love Pump" by Spinal Tap. In E minor.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
go away Laughing
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yes, the character designs are one of the prime draws of the series, aren't they? Wink

I...I, I meant that in a purely aesthetic sense. Yes that's what I meant. Wink

Quote:
And that's another reason why Elizabeth is my favorite: she had probably the prettiest character design in the series, and it's a mature rather than cutesy pretty.

I think she's bustier than in the manga which I don't care for, but I do think she looks better overall in the anime than the manga. I also like in this season that they are presenting her with more poise or perhaps a more noble bearing? In the first season she seemed to come off more cold at times than dignified.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that's what you get with Blood- around: sophisticated but raunchy humor. Cool

As for the actual song name, I think Charles mentioning "Moonlight Sonata Version" of her power while it played might have been a hint.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hey, that's what you get with Blood- around: sophisticated but raunchy humor. Cool

As for the actual song name, I think Charles mentioning "Moonlight Sonata Version" of her power while it played might have been a hint.

ah, crap, not sure how I missed that.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blood- wrote:
One thing that surprises me is that after 4 eppies, so little of it has had to do with the relationship between Bridget and Kazuya. That was sort of the crux of the first season so it's a little odd that it seems to be neglected, so far.

I'm not having a problem with it, though, because Satellizer as a character was not what kept me watching the original series; in fact, I probably watched it in spite of her rather than because of her because, personality-wise, she's one of the weakest of the regularly-recurring characters in the cast. And I always did like Elizabeth because she always seemed dignified (yes, even while swimming in the nude) and above the bullying crap that went on, so I'm pleased to see her getting quite a bit more screen time here.

You do remember that Elizabeth was the ringleader of the later bullying, right? She just avoided direct involvement. Even her actions in the latest episode are still based in the arrogance and pride that stemmed the initial attempts to punish Satella back then.

Blood- wrote:

You get more of the Satella/Kazuya relationship in the arc after this. This one is mainly focused on other characters. The series becomes a bit better balanced at trying to use the whole cast. besides Kazuya and Satellizer had an arc right before this one that is very focused on them. Unfortunately they skipped it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You get more of the Satella/Kazuya relationship in the arc after this. This one is mainly focused on other characters. The series becomes a bit better balanced at trying to use the whole cast. besides Kazuya and Satellizer had an arc right before this one that is very focused on them. Unfortunately they skipped it.

spoiler[not "unfortunately skipped", purposefully skipped. It is a very soap opera-esque arc that, while contextually important to the run of the series, would not have made for a strong anime piece.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
Freezing Vibration episode 5
Oh God poor spoiler[Elizabeth].

And uh oh, I see that spoiler[Satellizer having a bit of a mental break down at the end of this episode though. I predict some flashbacks soon with some not-so pleasant memories most likely.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10