• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Clamp's Kobato TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryoko24

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I am so happy they got this title, I would prefer Dubbed. But hey I will buy it Subbed to. I'm just Happy someone picked it up! Gonna buy it as soon as it comes out in August.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Great news! While i would have preferred a Nozomi release, a barebones Sentai release will still do just fine, as i was starting to worry that Kobato might get overlooked altogether. If Kobato does well for Sentai, i hope they pick up xxxHolic Kei too. I'd love to be able to get that on DVD someday.

Frankly, i don't see why so many people expected Funimation to license this series. Kobato isn't that popular a series compared to many other CLAMP titles, and should consequently be a harder sell. The sweet, slow-paced nature of the series isn't exactly going to appeal to most mainstream anime fans either, limiting the potential sales. This series has sub-only DVD release written all over it, which is almost certainly the most sensible way for Sentai to release this. I'd love to be proven wrong though, as it's a really sweet, fun series and it would be great if it managed to reach an even larger audience.

Mario1234567 wrote:
Please for English and Blu-ray release! I also want an Ultimate Clannad Blu-ray box as well! Please Sentai I hated you guys before but now I have change my tone...... Now I Hate the hell out of NISA

Good to see you've shifted your baseless anger and unreasonable expectations from one US anime distributor to another Rolling Eyes

I know this may be too much to expect considering the sheer number of threads you've posted in to complain about subtitled-only R1 releases, but have you ever considered that companies like Sentai, Nozomi and NISA may have based their release stategies on something other than "let's annoy Mario1234567 as much as possible!". You often seem to take great personal offense to what is essentially a straightforward, logical business decision. One has to remember that anime is a business. The primary concern of every business is to make money. Some anime series have less inherent sales potential than others and this should logically be reflected in the way they are released, regardless of what you as an individual would prefer.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Great news! While i would have preferred a Nozomi release, a barebones Sentai release will still do just fine, as i was starting to worry that Kobato might get overlooked altogether. If Kobato does well for Sentai, i hope they pick up xxxHolic Kei too. I'd love to be able to get that on DVD someday.

Frankly, i don't see why so many people expected Funimation to license this series. Kobato isn't that popular a series compared to many other CLAMP titles, and should consequently be a harder sell. The sweet, slow-paced nature of the series isn't exactly going to appeal to most mainstream anime fans either, limiting the potential sales. This series has sub-only DVD release written all over it, which is almost certainly the most sensible way for Sentai to release this. I'd love to be proven wrong though, as it's a really sweet, fun series and it would be great if it managed to reach an even larger audience.

I wouldn't mind seeing xxxHolic Kei and Rou/Adayume being picked up by Sentai either, since they did pick up the rest of Hell Girl. Sure, I would prefer a dub release for the rest of xxxHolic since I adore the dub cast, but if it means getting the rest of the series on R1 DVD, then I'm all for it. Anime hyper

As for everyone wanting Funimation to pick up Kobato...well, I can't really speak for everyone, but I know my thoughts were along the line of since they had almost every other CLAMP-animated title, Kobato wouldn't be any exception. Yes, from what I've read and seen of it, it's slow-paced, sweet-natured, and such like that, but so are several of the other series that they've licensed or rescued (Air and Kanon springs to mind), so I'd liked to think that this show wouldn't be any different. Also the whole "wanting a dub" thing kinda helps too, since Funimation is the only company that outright dubs everything they license with very little exception (I think only a few OVAs on some of their rescues were sub-only?).

Personally, I don't care if it's sub or dub. My only complaint that if it's dubbed, the cameos from the other CLAMP series (in particular xxxHolic and Tsubasa) need to be done by their respective English VAs since otherwise it just wouldn't sound right to me. Otherwise, in August or at Christmas, this series will be in my hands. Anime hyper
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, assuming that Funi ever did ponder acquiring Kobato, I would guess they passed because of their "dub everything" policy and they probably felt they wouldn't make their money back on the title. Sentai, of course, does release sub-only titles so it may be feasible for them.

What surprises me more is how Sentai got what I consider high profile titles that I would have thought Funi would have been interested in; namely, Highschool of the Dead and Angel Beats!

Well, assuming Funimation (or any other R1 for that matter) is interested in any single title is an awfully big assumption. Titles that can seem really huge and important to one group of fans, may hold no interest to a licensor due to the niche nature, or circumstances surrounding it. Not to mention the people at the company may have no relationship with the rights holders, and may just dislike the series.

It's entirely possible that Funimation was never interested in the title, and if they were, obviously they were unable to reach a deal with the license holder that was satisfactory. Either Sentai offered them more money for the title, offered terms that were more agreeable, or just beat Funi to the punch. It's possible Sentai had sealed the deal before the other guys even looked at it.

Generally, it's just going to come down to money. Funimation didn't get Shana, Index and the other Geneon Universal shows because it was offered them first. It got them because it outbid Sentai, Media Blasters, and whoever else may have been looking at them and put in offers. Sentai got High School of The Dead because they offered more then Funi was willing to at the time.

Remember Funi had a lot on their plate at the time and made several other large acquisitions around the period. They only have so many assets they can tie up. They can't afford to acquire everything, and even if they could, they eventually just end up like ADV or Geneon.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Out of 21 post (excluding mine), 9 of them ammount to "I want it dubbed", and half of those are "I won't buy unless dub".

Yes. The people have spoken. Think I'll add my lot in with them as well. It's a cute series, and pretty good, but it's pretty talky, and thus would be better watched dubbed. I highly doubt it will get one though it's not all that popular of a series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the people have spoken. They don't want to buy a series that they like. If Sentai had said it would be dubbed then all the people who are now clamoring for a dub would say "I won't buy it unless it comes out on BluRay".

It gets old after awhile.
Heaven's Cloud

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

*Major as in big series titles; I do know that other CLAMP titles have been animated into OVAs (i.e. the Clover and Wish OVAs, CLAMP in Wonderland, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, etc.) and such, but the likelihood of any of those being licensed, even into a collection of sorts seems extremely slim to none.

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland was at least licensed at one point, I own it on R1 DVD.

Anyway, I will definitely be getting this. I remember liking the manga when it was in Newtype USA, and I've liked every CLAMP anime I've seen so far except X (Rayearth and CSS being favorites, and haven't watched Tsubasa or XXXholic yet).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Heaven's Cloud wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

*Major as in big series titles; I do know that other CLAMP titles have been animated into OVAs (i.e. the Clover and Wish OVAs, CLAMP in Wonderland, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, etc.) and such, but the likelihood of any of those being licensed, even into a collection of sorts seems extremely slim to none.

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland was at least licensed at one point, I own it on R1 DVD.

Anyway, I will definitely be getting this. I remember liking the manga when it was in Newtype USA, and I've liked every CLAMP anime I've seen so far except X (Rayearth and CSS being favorites, and haven't watched Tsubasa or XXXholic yet).
Oh, it was? Okay, then I was mistaken in that case. Anime hyper
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
About time someone picked this up. I was getting worried that it would never be licensed in America.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
You can put me on the Surprised-Funimation-didn't-License-This bandwagon, if not just for the relations to Tsubasa and apparently xxxHolic, but of course I shouln't be surprised considering what happened with Durarara.

I'm not super interested in the show [Though some of the eps look gorgeous], but I'm mildly glad for the sub-only release since the cameo characters likely would not have their usual dub voices... though cameo characters shouldnt influence weather id want a dub or not so much.

Might look into buying this, but I have more priority titles to buy.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, do not like Sentai Filmworks. Mainly for their lack of dubs. But if this gets an english dub, I'm totally adding it to my wish list!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
Hopefully I'm not making things worse, but I really am curious as to what you disliked about the Clannad upgrade program.

What I didn't like was the fact SF didn't state to us who participated our packaging was going to change for a very crappy one in its place.

I was okay with the extra $20 (which put my total cost more than what it costs today). I was okay with having to pay the additional shipping to boot.

But I drew the line at the clamshell stack pack. That was insulting, especially given the sub-only had the separate cases.

I'm sure some people will see this as over-reacting, but I don't. This was a bullshit way to treat people who are supporting this company.

I'll still buy, but it's going to be on my terms. Not theirs.

The worst part is I don't consider my requests to be outrageous.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I'm so happy this is being licensed over here! I really couldn't care less if there was a dub or not.
lilly_938

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Heck yes! I was wondering who would pick this up, I mean come on, it's CLAMP!
It's such a happy-feel-good anime, even more so than CCS.

Now, where's CCS?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:
Hopefully I'm not making things worse, but I really am curious as to what you disliked about the Clannad upgrade program.

What I didn't like was the fact SF didn't state to us who participated our packaging was going to change for a very crappy one in its place.

I was okay with the extra $20 (which put my total cost more than what it costs today). I was okay with having to pay the additional shipping to boot.

But I drew the line at the clamshell stack pack. That was insulting, especially given the sub-only had the separate cases.

I'm sure some people will see this as over-reacting, but I don't. This was a bullshit way to treat people who are supporting this company.

I'll still buy, but it's going to be on my terms. Not theirs.

The worst part is I don't consider my requests to be outrageous.

You should have paid a bit more attention. They may not have specifically stated it in their press release, but it was fairly common knowledge that they would be using a Stack Pack for the release. That's what they used at the time for their four disc releases, so I don't see why you would have expected something different for Clannad. Someone from another forum had even emailed them ahead of time and confirmed it would be a stack pack. In fact, it was the reason that many people chose to keep the separate halves, so they could swap out the cases.

I could see the question now, where they have at times used something different, such as YUA Season 2's Complete collection that used a type of lite-box, but back then they only used stack packs.

If you had concerns about it, you should have asked or emailed them your concerns. I can understand being mad, but if you didn't ask any questions you can't exactly act like they lied to you or mislead you. What did Sentai say that made you think they would use a different type of case than their normal 4 disc releases?

At least they gave the option of an upgrade, which is much more than most R1's do when they do re-releases later. When was the last time Funi did one when they did a release with more features, or when they put something on bluray the second time around? Where was the upgrade program for those titles that Media Blasters re-released dubbed (though those collections were incredibly cheap)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5