• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Rides Jetstream to Early Arrival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
seems like if it's not naruto it will have a sucky dub they treat naruto like it's god or something while there other shows have sucky dubs and some of the shows are big hit's in japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

If the dub of Bleach turns out anything like that of Hikaru no Go, MAR, or The Prince of Tennis, you can count me out of watching it on [adult swim] later this year.

Man, you people jump to conclusions and are awfully reactionary to things like this.

Viz obviously spends a lot more time and money on shows like Naruto and Bleach. The Jetstream stuff is done on the cheap. Do you honestly think Viz is dumping as much money into an online-only streaming video version of a series as they are into something that's airing on Adult Swim with a DVD release already scheduled?

Bleach will undoubtedly use a very experienced studio and top-notch actors.

kuni_kuni wrote:
If the Bleach dub is anything like these two, I think a boycott of Viz is in order.

I guarantee you that this is a totally rational and reasonable thing to say and that doing so will bring Viz Media to its knees.

And that's where my hope lies. I have doubts about the Bleach dub because of these three projects from Viz, but I also have hopes for because Viz will undoubtedly try harder with the Bleach dub than with their other "throw-away" series', even if that is a harsh term.

But still, if a company is willing to cut this many corners for the majority of their series' (apparently, since I haven't seen everything Viz has produced), surely you can understand why I can have my doubts.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see your sarcasm at the end of that post. At least it's always well placed. Wink
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz obviously spends a lot more time and money on shows like Naruto and Bleach. The Jetstream stuff is done on the cheap. Do you honestly think Viz is dumping as much money into an online-only streaming video version of a series as they are into something that's airing on Adult Swim with a DVD release already scheduled?

While that may be true, Toonami does want to see if these shows will do well enough to be ported to television. I doubt that these companies would intentionally make a half-assed dub since the show is "only going to be on the internet," as Toonami is still considering the possibility of adding all of these shows to their line-up (well, PoT, at least). Besides, Hikaru no Go already has a DVD release, so I really don't know how to explain that one.

As for Bleach, Adult Swim dubs tend to be much better than Toonami dubs (the FMA, Champloo, and Bebop dubs were amazing), so I'm expecting the Bleach dub to be well done.

As for boycotting Viz, that was obviously a joke. I still want my HnG DVD releases, after all.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So far from what I'm looking at most of the "corners" we're complaining that are cut are opinion related. We're complaining about it mostly because it's different but I mean really, we're generally picking on minor issues and matters of specific taste instead of the actual content. But judging by the content of the shows themselves, they don't really appeal to me at least. Although I will say, the remade openings I thought were above acceptable and fairly enjoyable.

And yes, it's pretty much a given that if you're not expecting them to do a much better job with Bleach then you're nuts. They obviously are putting the shows here as said to see how popular they really would be and I think it was an excellent move as at least to me I feel the shows wouldn't appeal to as large of an audience as most Toonami shows tend to appeal to, in my opinion, but that's also a judgement mainly on subject material and the fact that I don't think they bring it enough style or presentation to warrant too much interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I TRIED to watch an episode of Mar and Prince of Tennis, but I couldn't stand the pain of the dubs. It would be nice if Toonami offered you the option to play them in Japanese with subtitles. I hate dubs (except for bebop) so while I wish I could watch these shows, I'll have to bow out until they offer them in Japanese. There is a feedback button on their site, so anyone that feels likewise, please email them like I did, to request them to offer Japanese versions.
mmangelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I like the dub for Hikaru No Go and MAR. I don't think they're so bad. I'm watching Prince of Tennis now and I don't think it's so bad either. I haven't watched Naruto yet, but I'm sure its fine too. I've always thought that Viz did a good job with the stuff they do. But thats just me though. Don't rip me apart for not being a dub-hater (because I'm not at all. I like English and Japanese. I don't like to watch it if I can't watch both.)

P.S. Windows Media Player does run on Macs, but only the 9 Series. Macs don't have access to Media Player 10.
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind the dub on Mar, and I like the Naruto dub. I haven't checked out Prince of Tennis or Hikaru no Go, though I'm sure I will when I get the chance.

Maybe I'm just not as harsh on dubs as everyone else, but I actually perfer to watch my shows in english, mainly because I can't speak Japanese and it gets annoying to watch shows subbed all the time, but that's just me.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Reikijenosaido wrote:
I just finished watching all of the shows and while i am extremely impressed with the image quality something does strike me as odd. Hikaru no go has it's original japanese opening theme included but the rest don't. I can understand naruto being like that but why go through the trouble of making a new opening for PoT or Mar when the original is available and superior (though the PoT piece is rather catchy). I also question why they felt the need to change the background music in Mar...
This is because they are actively pitching/have pitched Mar and PoT to TV while there are no plans for HnG to go on TV. Therefore, Mar and PoT are the TV edits while HnG is the DVD copy. (Also, Mar is going to be targeted at a much younger crowd so it gets the Gash Bell treatment (original music removed) while PoT is being targeted like Naruto (intact)).

There were a few swear words, though those are a simple matter of translation - and a little blood, such as spoiler[when Ryoma has the racket thrown at him and his eyelid is badly cut], but other than that, I thought there was little to no objectionable content in Prince of Tennis. So I don't even expect the TV edits to be that bad, and not to mention that VIZ has hardly seemed to have had a bad case of edits before.

As for the Japanese, freshkazuki, I'm sure that these series will be released on DVD in a bilingual format. I really don't see the need to also stream the episodes in Japanese with subtitles when a lot of the Toonami audience has only ever watched English dubs before and are probably not even interested in the Japanese version.

The only gripe I have with Jetstream is that I have to watch it in my Internet Explorer browser instead of my Firefox browser, which I would have liked.
rpb3000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This seems like Toonami Reactor come back from the dead, only with too many limitations. I watched Reactor perfectly happy on an old iMac running Mac OS 9 with Netscape 6. This required Windows with Internet Explorer and WMV10. That's just stupid.

Granted, a link somebody had posted earlier gets around the browser check, but that still doesn't let my newish Mac Mini view them, because they're presented in the most limited video format available. What perks does Microsoft give these people to get them to use WMV?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
I TRIED to watch an episode of Mar and Prince of Tennis, but I couldn't stand the pain of the dubs. It would be nice if Toonami offered you the option to play them in Japanese with subtitles. I hate dubs (except for bebop) so while I wish I could watch these shows, I'll have to bow out until they offer them in Japanese. There is a feedback button on their site, so anyone that feels likewise, please email them like I did, to request them to offer Japanese versions.

The day they offer shows in Japanese is the day Ami Tokito walks into my room and sings "Sentimental Generation" for a private concert. Jetstream is aimed towards the same people who watch the Toonami block, and thus will only be offered in English. Not to mention that the subtitles might be unreadable with such a small screen, and IF (emphasis on IF) the episodes are edited later down the road for whatever reason to conform to the TV-PG rating, then the Japanese version has to be edited as well, which is more effort that the Jestream folks don't see as necessary.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
mmangelly wrote:
P.S. Windows Media Player does run on Macs, but only the 9 Series. Macs don't have access to Media Player 10.
You do not need WMP10 on windows. Just 9+. I have 9 (it identifies itself as "Windows media player for XP 8.xxx") and it ran the clips fine in IE.
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Changing any subtitles to match the tv edits is quite expensive to do. Really most dubs are not bad at all. People really need to remove that stick from their butts. It's not the 1980s where people were hired literally from the street nor is it 4kids dubs.

Naruto is meant to be annoying hell he is even called annoying by his teammates and adults in the frigging subs. His voice is annoying if you know Japanese. The english dub captures the attitude perfectly as well as the best english translation of Naruto's catchphrase. Which for some reason is hated beyond belief. Seriously Naruto was meant for 13 year olds Naruto is meant to be annoying whiney brat. He is not supposed to be mature at all.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well put. As they say, somethings really are lost in translation, this being one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kamidai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
My problem is that this site does not run with a Mac. I'm a Mac user, but it's the sheer blatant lack of Mac support for things I'd otherwise be enjoying that makes me wish I could afford to upgrade to a dual-boot Intel Mac so I could use both platforms.

Micro$oft and their DRM "Let's Force Everyone To Use Winblows" WMP10 can go do an obscene act for all I'm concerned, and boo on Cartoon Network for insisting on using that.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6