• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Panned by Online Critics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

Yeah, Only Yesterday has a conservative message. But this doesn't make it a bad Ghibli movie, I think. Just consider for which audience the movie has been made (adult japanese), the time it has been produced (1991) and the time the story takes place (1966 <---> 1982). Those were simply other times. The eighties saw the rising of independent Office Ladies which was somehow a concern in japanese society. The seventies and early eighties had a boom for furusato, one's homeland in the country. Takahata made a mix out of both ideas. The conservative message behind the movie is less that Taeko should ditch her career and marry a farmer but more in the general preference of furusato life over city life. City life is connected with stress, no real goals in life, egoism and loose family ties, whereas furusato is in the realm of "japanese" nature as oasis, old folkcraft and strong family ties. The "native place" where japanese people implicitly belong and should return again. Taeko has found her place in furusato – even if it's not her real home-town (she never had one) – and lets go of city life with her (egoistic) inner child.

But, the end result was she ditched her career and married a farmer. If she had ditched her career and became a farmer, then it would be a different matter. She still would have had a furusato lifestyle and a career.

Oh by the way Dargonxtc and mufurc, I was in the theater and saw a child cry during Howl's Moving Castle, i.e kid was scared. No protests from my area over that child crying. Those parents should realize that not all anime is meant for kids, esp. this title.

I'm still not going to pass judgement until I see the film for myself, since there was enough bad publicity during the making of the film to give it bad reviews anyway. Also, I think we shouldn't pass judgement until the author gives an opinion.
Lix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty laughable. Really, it's humorous to me that you people are fretting over Goro's little Earthsea movie being "bad" based off two unsubstantial digits on a Yahoo site. When did we start basing all strata of critical consensus on votes by some Yay-hoos on a Yahoo site? To me, this idea seems comparable to anyone here being crestfallen because 9 out of 10 pandas agree that The Movie II was nowhere near as well-crafted and eucalyptus-flavored as The Movie I. I mean, who actually cares what pandas think, besides other pandas? They might be cute, semi-intelligent, and huggable as all hell, but no one is going to call a panda to help him brainstorm for his next literary masterpiece.

Let's assume, though, for a minute, that these people's opinion's are actually worth dissecting. If what I can glean from the information provided by various sources is somewhat true, then most of those Yay-hoos seem to be having two complaints with Gedo Senki:

1. It deviates substantially from the book. In my honest and utterly stern opinion, this is probably the least tolerable "complaint" someone should actually have with any type of art or entertainment. If someone isn't prepared to accept a film based upon its own merits, instead of just judging it by its level of hereditary retrofitted-ness, then they should simply prep themselves beforehand for disappointment.

2. The movie doesn't have as much of the typical kid-friendly style and flair that Hayao's films are known for, which is obviously what they were expecting. Once again, we have another reason that precludes them from enjoyment due to prior expectations, rather than disliking the film for its inherent worth.

Now I don't know about any of you, but I protest on principle the maligning of a film based on either of the above reasons. And judging by the tremendous glut of one star reviews for Gedo Senki, I am even further distrustful of people who can't even demonstrate the mental proclivity to reward the movie for the technical animation quality that we all already know it has (based on its Ghibli heritage) by giving it at least two stars.

Finally, here's a link to what is most likely a far more reasonable impression of the film, and one that us English-speaking folk can actually assess because we can read it. (Thanks AnimeNation!)

http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2006/07/tales-from-earthsea-screening.html
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Also, I think we shouldn't pass judgement until the author gives an opinion.

Why? I respect Le Guin, but we're all allowed to form our own opinions without waiting for her word on the subject. She may not say anything at all. She only spoke out against the Sci Fi Channel miniseries adaptation after the producers made claims that effectively put words in her mouth. http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Earthsea.html
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Swissman wrote:

Yeah, Only Yesterday has a conservative message. But this doesn't make it a bad Ghibli movie, I think. Just consider for which audience the movie has been made (adult japanese), the time it has been produced (1991) and the time the story takes place (1966 <---> 1982). Those were simply other times. The eighties saw the rising of independent Office Ladies which was somehow a concern in japanese society. The seventies and early eighties had a boom for furusato, one's homeland in the country. Takahata made a mix out of both ideas. The conservative message behind the movie is less that Taeko should ditch her career and marry a farmer but more in the general preference of furusato life over city life. City life is connected with stress, no real goals in life, egoism and loose family ties, whereas furusato is in the realm of "japanese" nature as oasis, old folkcraft and strong family ties. The "native place" where japanese people implicitly belong and should return again. Taeko has found her place in furusato – even if it's not her real home-town (she never had one) – and lets go of city life with her (egoistic) inner child.

But, the end result was she ditched her career and married a farmer. If she had ditched her career and became a farmer, then it would be a different matter. She still would have had a furusato lifestyle and a career.

Well it's funny, I didn't see it like that when I saw the film. To me she didn't seem like she had some blossoming career that she was bouncing out of bed in the morning to get to. She basically was working in Tokyo as the typical OL because well that's just what a lot of Japanese single women in the city do.

What I saw was a person that seemed to be stalled in life. Someone that really couldn't say she was happy, just sort of "satisfied". I think that's a lot of the reason for her reminiscing about her childhood. It was a simpler and more innocent time, where you didn't question things like, "Where am I going in life?" and "Am I really happy?" Yes the subject of Japanese women feeling pressured to be married was explored, but from what I could see, Takeo didn't let this pressure get to her very easily.

So she happened to end up with someone in the end? I really don't think that was some sort of "defeat" or some message saying, "Look she's getting with a man and has now found happiness". It was deeper than that and I think you missed it. It was the life itself and *not* settling down into marriage that she chose. That just happened to be one part of it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Lix wrote:
This is pretty laughable. Really, it's humorous to me that you people are fretting over Goro's little Earthsea movie being "bad" based off two unsubstantial digits on a Yahoo site. When did we start basing all strata of critical consensus on votes by some Yay-hoos on a Yahoo site? To me, this idea seems comparable to anyone here being crestfallen because 9 out of 10 pandas agree that The Movie II was nowhere near as well-crafted and eucalyptus-flavored as The Movie I. I mean, who actually cares what pandas think, besides other pandas? They might be cute, semi-intelligent, and huggable as all hell, but no one is going to call a panda to help him brainstorm for his next literary masterpiece.

Let's assume, though, for a minute, that these people's opinion's are actually worth dissecting. If what I can glean from the information provided by various sources is somewhat true, then most of those Yay-hoos seem to be having two complaints with Gedo Senki:

1. It deviates substantially from the book. In my honest and utterly stern opinion, this is probably the least tolerable "complaint" someone should actually have with any type of art or entertainment. If someone isn't prepared to accept a film based upon its own merits, instead of just judging it by its level of hereditary retrofitted-ness, then they should simply prep themselves beforehand for disappointment.

2. The movie doesn't have as much of the typical kid-friendly style and flair that Hayao's films are known for, which is obviously what they were expecting. Once again, we have another reason that precludes them from enjoyment due to prior expectations, rather than disliking the film for its inherent worth.

Now I don't know about any of you, but I protest on principle the maligning of a film based on either of the above reasons. And judging by the tremendous glut of one star reviews for Gedo Senki, I am even further distrustful of people who can't even demonstrate the mental proclivity to reward the movie for the technical animation quality that we all already know it has (based on its Ghibli heritage) by giving it at least two stars.

Finally, here's a link to what is most likely a far more reasonable impression of the film, and one that us English-speaking folk can actually assess because we can read it. (Thanks AnimeNation!)

http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2006/07/tales-from-earthsea-screening.html

Amen.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
How the hell can people like Only Yesterday? It's about a girl growing up. I personally don't give a shit if her family doesn't like Pineapple. I don't give a shit if she gets her period. I don't give a shit about her boring life. Ocean Waves was way better than it. I mean, the guy smacks the bitch. How can you not love it? Tales from Earthsea looks even more boring than Lord of the Rings. It's just people walking.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
How the hell can people like Only Yesterday? It's about a girl growing up. I personally don't give a shit if her family doesn't like Pineapple. I don't give a shit if she gets her period. I don't give a shit about her boring life. Ocean Waves was way better than it. I mean, the guy smacks the bitch. How can you not love it? Tales from Earthsea looks even more boring than Lord of the Rings. It's just people walking.

Wow thanks for this totally BRILLIANT dissection of the film, AND you even bothered to steal a joke from Kevin Smith!

YOU ROCK!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
uberfrosch wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Also, I think we shouldn't pass judgement until the author gives an opinion.

Why? I respect Le Guin, but we're all allowed to form our own opinions without waiting for her word on the subject. She may not say anything at all. She only spoke out against the Sci Fi Channel miniseries adaptation after the producers made claims that effectively put words in her mouth. http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Earthsea.html

Well, she knows her work better than most. If she complains like she did for the TV series about her series being maligned, then her response is the most valid. If she doesn't complain about the content not being faithful to her work, then the detractors should move on.

And Jerseymilk, you can have the lifestyle without settling down. It was not presented as take a portion from column A. It was all or nothing. But you know, this is beating a dead horse. My opinion on Only Yesterday isn't going to change and the topic for this thread is Gedo Senki.
MarthaC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
[

I'm totally behind Zac on his opinion on this movie. I don't think teenagers understand this movie! I can't really explain it to you, you don't have the experience to understand what I would say.
Any way, I knew several farmers and believe me, women farmers who are wives have careers- don't you remember the whole family was picking the flowers? Some American women on family farms even work outside the home in order to get money in.[/i]
Akukaze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It's not for children or teenagers at all, whatsoever. It's a film made for adults, and can only be appreciated fully by adults because it's about an experience that's very specific to adults.

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse, but I'd like to put in my two cents, if I may.

Zac, I understand and appreciate your viewpoint. As a teenager, I can understand why you would think that it could only be appreciated by adults, and while that's not necessarily without merit, it is a little unfair. I watched the movie in Janurary when it was on Turner, and I was able to connect with Taeko and appreciate her feelings just fine, even though I'm only sixteen. It's a bit pretentious to think that only adults can be displeased with their life, or miss their childhood.

Only Yesterday may not be meant for teenagers, but that doesn't mean that it can't possibly be appreciated by someone who isn't an adult. Most teenagers probably wouldn't be able to connect with the characters and story very well, but most isn't all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:

It's a bit pretentious to think that only adults can be displeased with their life, or miss their childhood.

Only Yesterday may not be meant for teenagers, but that doesn't mean that it can't possibly be appreciated by someone who isn't an adult. Most teenagers probably wouldn't be able to connect with the characters and story very well, but most isn't all.

I think teenagers who talk about "missing their childhood" are probably being a little pretentious themselves.

Watch it again when you're in your mid-late 20's or early 30's and see if it means the same thing to you.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Akukaze wrote:

It's a bit pretentious to think that only adults can be displeased with their life, or miss their childhood.

I think teenagers who talk about "missing their childhood" are probably being a little pretentious themselves.

Watch it again when you're in your mid-late 20's or early 30's and see if it means the same thing to you.

Why is that pretentious? There are probably a lot of intellectual young people who are extremely nostalgic and sentimental individuals that would be able to connect with the character's feelings. Okay, maybe not a LOT, but they're out there, and while they may not have as many years of life to look back on, there is still quite a huge difference between the innocence of childhood and the chaotic, confusing teenage years. As Justin said as well, especially if one still had childhood issues, they may have the same feelings about those past events at the age of 16 or 26.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Well... I can't say anything concrete, but I still have hope for Gedo Senki and look forward to seeing it. I agree that the film is at least partially suffering from bad reviews due to biases going into the film and overly high expectations. If nothing else, it has a really beautiful theme song, and the visuals are stunning (from what I've seen in the trailer).

Honestly, I don't think we should even listen to Hayao Miyazaki's qualms with the film until we've seen it for ourselves. It's quite possible that Hayao Miyazaki is opposed to Goro's film debut not because Goro lacks talent but rather because he doesn't want his son to "steal his thunder".

That said, it is strange that they would select Goro, who has no experience in film, to direct Gedo Senki. Certainly it is based in part on his father's fame... but I'm also sure they wouldn't pick him for the job based on his blood alone; he must have some sort of talent to have been chosen in the first place. Or at least I seriously hope so. If not, that's just... stupid.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Why is it pretentious? Because we're still children? How long has it been since you were sixteen? Had you ever moved at the time? Had you had to grow up at all? Did you have to face the fact that you weren't a child anymore and had responsibilities to deal with?

I make no claim that I have any more of a right to miss my childhood (which, I'd like you to note, I never necessarily said I did), or that my life is worse than anyone else's. I am saying that I do have just as much of a right as anyone else.

If you want to say that I'm being pretentious (you didn't say it explicity, but you deifnitely implied it) than fine, go ahead. Maybe while you're at it I'll find someone over 70 to tell you that you're being pretentious for missing being younger when he or she would love to be your age again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm totally behind Zac on his opinion on this movie. I don't think teenagers understand this movie! I can't really explain it to you, you don't have the experience to understand what I would say.

It's not that I don't understand it; it's that I don't feel like I can relate to her that much. I understand the main character's dissatisfaction with her childhood, I understand her decision to move to a farm to get away from city life, and I understand emotions this film is supposed to evoke in adults. It's just that I don't really feel that I can relate to her, since I’m still just a kid. My childhood thus far is pretty happy, and although sometimes I think I'm growing up too fast I'm not displeased with my life at all. In spite of that, I still liked the movie very much; especially the flashbacks to her childhood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8