• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beyond the Boundary Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The show is also kinda skeevy in a way that bothers me more than usual. Akihito and whatshisname at one point literally sat in a room with Mirai and had a gross, horridly objectifying discussion about her body, which we were supposed to find funny.

What episode was this 'horridly objectifying discussion' in? I'll give it a second look to see whether to laugh at you or to give it pause and agree with you.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The show is also kinda skeevy in a way that bothers me more than usual. Akihito and whatshisname at one point literally sat in a room with Mirai and had a gross, horridly objectifying discussion about her body, which we were supposed to find funny.

What episode was this 'horridly objectifying discussion' in? I'll give it a second look to see whether to laugh at you or to give it pause and agree with you.

Episode 5, near the beginning. That was a big part of why I finally dropped the show
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
And who likes to take nude photos of her ambiguously aged pseudo-daughter.

To be fair, it did lead to one of the show's only funny gags. Which was immediately ruined by doubling back on it and turning into a "hurr durr the protagonist is flat-chested" joke.

That pretty much encapsulates my problems with this show. There's a lot of legitimately clever and interesting ideas mired in a swamp of trod-over LN cliches and super-chuunibyou storytelling.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
While I think it was rather mediocre near the beginning, I think it has been really bringing itself up since revealing that the main character was not the cliché type who just says he understand when he really does not. The revelation actually tied together things from earlier that looked like him getting in her business which has nothing to do with him, and actually the relationship he has with the other characters. And yes Mirai's strange mix of moe and capable is sigh inducing at the beginning, some of it has understandable reasons and she has depth.

As for high expectations of KyoAni, lets be honest, Hyoukai had gimmicky characters and Tamako Market never went anywhere. Some people seem to just see red and ruin the experience for themselves when they hear the word fetish.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Just to be sure, this is the conversation?

Hiromi: I'll admit the red frames look good on her.
Akihito: Hiromi, you can see the greatness when you try! As of today you're a fellow bifocal enthusiast.
Hiromi: And just as you said, she possesses "little sister" characteristics as well.
Akihito: Doesn't she? Soft and fluffy hair, an innocent face, a bosom that hasn't fully matured, thighs that have yet to be tainted. A petite and delicate frame! She is truly the ideal little sister!
Mirai: A little sister?
Akihito: To top is off, she looks good in glasses! And these aren't superficial glasses that she just picked up. That perfect nose of hers that practically says, "Glasses go here."
Mirai: You're being unpleasant!
Mitsuki: You shouldn't let those two get to you. They're just PERVERTS!

Hiromi has a little sister fetish and Akihito has a glasses fetish. I agree that they were definitely crossing a line but that is their character. When they see a girl who exemplifies their fetish then they will go a bit nuts. So yeah, I can see your point Fence. But that's about .000000001% as skeevy as the bust size of most of the girls in Horizon. Personally I thought that scene was needed because we always see Mitsuki calling Akihito and Hiromi perverts but never really got why. It provides grounds for Mitsuki's reactions around them.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
To be clear, my lack of appreciation for BtB has nothing to do with it not meeting expectations or potential because I didn't find the concept especially interesting to begin with and didn't think the concept had any great degree of potential. It has everything to do with ineffective writing, lack of chemistry between characters, and lack of a good balance between comedy, dramatic, and action elements. I still watch because it doesn't do any single thing especially poorly, but neither does it shine anywhere except in the artistry and animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Just to be sure, this is the conversation?

Yes, that is the conversion. (He's asleep now, but I know 100% for certain what conversation he meant.)

Quote:

Hiromi has a little sister fetish and Akihito has a glasses fetish. I agree that they were definitely crossing a line but that is their character. When they see a girl who exemplifies their fetish then they will go a bit nuts. So yeah, I can see your point Fence. But that's about .000000001% as skeevy as the bust size of most of the girls in Horizon.

Horizon is hardly perfect on these issues (but it's a hell of a lot better than most light novels anime, or anime in general, in many other ways), but that BtB scene is a hell of a lot skeevier than girls in the show simply having large busts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well I actually found Horizon to be so skeevy and uninteresting at the beginning that I could not bring myself to watch more than a couple episodes, plus the wildly unfitting types being like they took a bunch of ideas and threw them in a blender.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I think what makes the show work is the way Aki and Hiromi are completely shot down by Mirai and Mitsuki. If their behavior seemed more aggressive or if I felt like the girls were really seriously bothered by it then it might come off a lot creepier. But they largely just roll their eyes at them for being idiots. Essentially, they're just two teenage dumbasses doing what teen dumbasses do: Sitting in the corner ogling their class mates. That's not to say it is acceptable behavior but its not something I find at all off-putting.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
But thats the same thing? Cute+Dark doesn't make something good or bad.

Yes. You evidently agree with him then. But the review seemingly did NOT. What the review seemed to be saying was that the show being cute undermined it also being dark, hence his point. If that has no clear point in regards to what you think...well obviously. It wasn't directed at you. I mean, do you understand that when people say things they may be in reference to other people and as such may not be disputing something you yourself think?

Last edited by ikillchicken on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Can we not talk about Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere?

Beyond the Boundary isn't as painfully pointless as Tamako Market but it isn't close to being one of the top series of this season. Once you peel away the Kyoto Animation label and animation it is pretty dull. The plot is finally getting going as of episode seven, but the characters truly let the side down, made worse because they have been the primary focus for the first half of the show. Akihito and Hiroomi are perverts who can't help but talk about their respective fetishes all the goddamn time, Mirai swings wildly beyond hyper-competent and ultra-useless, and Mitsuki is there to do little else but tease Akihito.

Yes yes, I accept that each character has a different dimension to themselves. Akihito has his Half-Demonic Lineage™ and Monster Inside Unleashed Through Danger™ whilst Mirai has her Tragic Past™ and Cursed Blood™. Mitsuki suffers from Family Obligations™ and Hiroomi has the problem where he Wants To Bang His Little Sister But Can't Because They Are Fully Blood-Related™. Oh wait, that last one doesn't count. But even with their various issues they are still a thoroughly boring lot.

However, I am shocked at how much people dislike this series. Although it wasn't a top series it is also nowhere near the worst show this season, or any other season for that matter. Yet you don't even see this much vitriol for even the worst otaku shows. It's bizarre. If you're a Kyoto Animation fan and are disappointed with the studio's execution then know that this isn't the first time they made something boring or otaku-orientated. Free! and Chuu2 wallowed in pandering cliches (although both had better execution than KnK) and the aforementioned Tamako Market lacked any good execution and had no memorable characters apart from that annoying bird. And if you're not a diehard fan of Kyoto Animation then why get so upset about this one show when there are plenty of titles far worse than it?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I think what makes the show work is the way Aki and Hiromi are completely shot down by Mirai and Mitsuki. If their behavior seemed more aggressive or if I felt like the girls were really seriously bothered by it then it might come off a lot creepier. But they largely just roll their eyes at them for being idiots. Essentially, they're just two teenage dumbasses doing what teen dumbasses do: Sitting in the corner ogling their class mates. That's not to say it is acceptable behavior but its not something I find at all off-putting.

Mirai was clearly very uncomfortable with it. That they simply roll their eyes and act like it's not a big deal and 'boys will be boys' is part of the problem.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I mean, it's not the best show ever or anything, but it certainly doesn't deserve, imo, the kind of slandering that Carl and many people are giving it. The story and world-building may be wobbly at times (the episode with spoiler[Sakura's 180 turn] reached a particular low in cliched plot contrivances and overdoing jokes), but the characters have so far been very fun and interesting to watch. To say that there's no chemistry between Mirai and Akihito is like saying you're not watching the show at all. Seriously, episode 4 was [expletive] beautiful in the level of understanding and bonding between the two leads.

I agree with all of this. Episode 4 was one of the best episodes I've seen this season. I don't care that much about the world, but the dynamics between the characters, and especially Mirai and Akihito, really work for me. The show also has a unique atmosphere about it that I really like. All the backlash really surprises me since I think there are a lot worse shows this season, including a few that I'm still watching. It's not the best thing from this season either, but I think it says something that it's one of two shows (the other being Magi, a sequel as well as an adaptation of a manga I already like) that I've managed to keep up with despite being unable to really watch any anime at all the last couple weeks.
Hamu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

The show is also kinda skeevy in a way that bothers me more than usual. Akihito and whatshisname at one point literally sat in a room with Mirai and had a gross, horridly objectifying discussion about her body, which we were supposed to find funny. Then there's the part where the lady who purchases Youmu has a side business taking gravure shots of teenage and younger girls and then selling them to people without their permission. And who likes to take nude photos of her ambiguously aged pseudo-daughter. Something that would send people screaming if she were a male character.

So yeah, I expected better of this show in general.

THANK YOU. Those two parts (and the cringe inducing dialogue - all of it, "comedic" and fanfiction-tier angst) are exactly what took this show from boring to rage inducing for me.

I think people are disappointed because they expected something... idk, different from Kyoani's usual? Or at least well-written, and not riding on cliches and the same 3 character quirks over and over again. If you ask me, it's a pity such beautiful, fluid animation is being wasted in this terrible plot. Samumenco could use all this budget, sigh.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Hiromi has a little sister fetish and Akihito has a glasses fetish. I agree that they were definitely crossing a line but that is their character. When they see a girl who exemplifies their fetish then they will go a bit nuts. So yeah, I can see your point Fence. But that's about .000000001% as skeevy as the bust size of most of the girls in Horizon.

Horizon is hardly perfect on these issues (but it's a hell of a lot better than most light novels anime, or anime in general, in many other ways), but that BtB scene is a hell of a lot skeevier than girls in the show simply having large busts.

We encounter worse in univ all the time, and both sides just roll with it........ and give back some. Laughing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
hmm. interesting review. I too am rather shocked at the hate on this show. Suffice it to say, I am really enjoying this series. Maybe because it reminds me of two of my favorite series: Ga Rei Zero and K-On!. The action, demon fighting and minori chihara op of Ga Rei with the blobby moe character designs like K-On.(to a certain extent the fantasy scenes of Chuunibyou as well)

Interestingly, it seems for a while most of the shows I have been enjoying all get C grades on ANN. If the trend continues, that means so will Unbreakable Machine Doll, Tokyo Ravens, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Aquarion Evol, Girl Und Panzer, and Pokemon the Origin if/when they are reviewed/released. I hope I'm wrong(in a good way) but I'm pretty sure at least 3 of this will get that grade. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7