• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy's 90-Second Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Just want to say that it's absolutely incredible that the world premiere for a TV anime is going to be on US television. That must have taken a ridiculous amount of planning, meetings, paperwork, etc. to get all the stars to align. I hope it does well and that the venture pays off. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Just want to say that it's absolutely incredible that the world premiere for a TV anime is going to be on US television. That must have taken a ridiculous amount of planning, meetings, paperwork, etc. to get all the stars to align. I hope it does well and that the venture pays off. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I'm curious how they plan on making money by appealing to Americans. American so not buy DVDs for the prices like Japanese fans do. Merchandise? Commercials? I am confused what they think they can gain out of it. Bebop and Watanabe are bigger in America than Japan I get that but how does that translating into profit?

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I am going to stop you right there because I am a woman who cares and I know a lot of other women who most certainly do care.

Fanservice might be a necessary evil for me when it comes to anime but when female characters are reduced to "boobies" yeah sorry as a woman it is not pleasant and I respect men who have respect for women and talk against this type of thing. And no I don't think those men are prudes, just the opposite.

I think Kikaioh is right for the most part. Maybe it's just who I hang out with since my office involves about 40 people ages 20-35 of mostly women and most of them there whenever they see my station with a few stickers or figures they go "Damn, check out those tits, wish I had those!" and laugh and ask what it's from. Most of them are the more social and party type who are pretty flirty around the office rather than the quiet and nerd type so they seem more comfortable with sex and other things. Given what I see in the break room in women's magazines with women half naked and tons of tips on sex and beauty I think there's a nice chunk of women are pretty okay with sexiness. Of course everyone is different and you'll find people for and against anything pretty much but I think society in general is pretty okay with sexy women given all the movies, magazines, and TV shows that feature them and seems to be pretty accepted Smile
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I'm curious how they plan on making money by appealing to Americans. American so not buy DVDs for the prices like Japanese fans do. Merchandise? Commercials? I am confused what they think they can gain out of it. Bebop and Watanabe are bigger in America than Japan I get that but how does that translating into profit?

Maybe the Japanese industry is finally figuring out that relying on a few thousand rabid otaku to buy absurdly-overpriced DVDs isn't a sustainable model in the long-term.

And re: the fanservice arguments, is anyone missing the fact that the tone of those clips is so tongue-in-cheek as to be poking a hole in said cheek? You have a Hooters parody that's called Boobies...which seems to be located in a space station that is literally made of giant boobies. Pandering fanservice this is not. As for Dandy himself, as I said to a friend, he seems every bit like an anime version of Johnny Bravo. Very Happy
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Some may pass this off as a low-brow Cobra rip-off before it's even aired, but back in 1998 Cowboy Bebop was commony being compared to Lupin III before it aired in Japan.

*edited for clarity.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
While some may pass this off as a low-brow Cobra rip-off before it's even aired, people seem to forget that before Cowboy Bebop aired it was being constantly being compared to Lupin III.

Ahhh...do you have a citation on that?
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Pandering fanservice this is not.

Yeah, it's a good thing us guys don't like boobs or I might get turned on by all this Laughing
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
While some may pass this off as a low-brow Cobra rip-off before it's even aired, people seem to forget that before Cowboy Bebop aired it was being constantly being compared to Lupin III.

Ahhh...do you have a citation on that?
Unfortunately I don't have a citation on me, but I do remember websites of the time that listed a brief synopsis of the series' plot would mention the Bebop crew being expys of the Lupin III cast in its description.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it's awesome that an anime is being pushed like this, and it's not gonna be on that late (11:30/10:30c), and it isn't even a toyetic-type show for kids. Plus, when viewers watch the show on Toonami, they will be among the FIRST in the WORLD! How exciting is that? I'd embrace it while we can. If this fails, it would be difficult for us to get another shot at this.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Re: for the fan service bit.
I get that the fan service in Space Dandy is a bit more tongue and cheek that's why it hasn't really bothered me. It's still pretty juvenile though and the thought "It's okay! All the women I know would like the fanservice and even check them out!" is also pretty juvenile too. So don't dismiss Maidenoftheredhand statement by saying she's in the minority of women who don't like the fanservice to try and validate your point. It still bothers people (men and women) and it bothers me. If the focus of the show becomes too much on the Boobies joke (which looks like it might get old pretty quick) I might end up dropping it but time will tell. At this point it just looks like a vibrant blast from the past and I'm going to enjoy it to my fullest.

Not trying to attack anyone or drag this into a fanservice argument. Just trying to say don't assume anything about what should or should not bother people. I mean that's pretty simple right? Now with all of that said I will state that this is my most anticipated new title of 2014 so I'm hoping the best for it and this interesting venture of airing it first in the US with a dub right off the bat. That's actually pretty crazy but dang I'm looking forward to it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Given what I see in the break room in women's magazines with women half naked and tons of tips on sex and beauty I think there's a nice chunk of women are pretty okay with sexiness. Of course everyone is different and you'll find people for and against anything pretty much but I think society in general is pretty okay with sexy women given all the movies, magazines, and TV shows that feature them and seems to be pretty accepted Smile

I always find it funny when guys say they know some women....so that means they are experts on how women feel about fanservice.

I obviously don't talk for every woman and if some women don't mind or even like fanservice than that is their prerogative but when a guy is telling other guy he is a prude because he has some respect for women and doesn't like how they are objectified well then that is when I have to speak up.

And most of the fanservice in anime is not sexy but extremely juvenile. Sex does not equal bouncing boobs but to each their own.

edit: Thank you Sakuragtin!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
So when are you boys and girls going to condemn Faye Valentine ?
You know, the co-star of Cowboy Bebop. The super sexy female of the Bebop crew ? Who doesn't exactly have a flat chest I might add, and who certainly doesn't go around hiding her "sexiness".

Space Dandy's female lead will be alright.
We're not talking Ikkitousen material here.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
So when are you boys and girls going to condemn Faye Valentine ?
You know, the co-star of Cowboy Bebop. The super sexy female of the Bebop crew ? Who doesn't exactly have a flat chest I might add, and who certainly doesn't go around hiding her "sexiness".

Because we are talking about Space Dandy, I didn't know to talk about the fanservice of one show you have to discuss the fanservice of every other show and compare them.

Also no one said that they expect women to all be portrayed with flat chests.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Nothing will be Cowboy Bebop, Nothing Will Laughing

I really hope no one actually thinks any anime can do that again, or Toonami can be what it was like when they were kids.. Fraid that ain't happening any more than me wishing I could take my kid to go rent a game Friday night after school like my parents did for me. Just accept those days are over...

I can humbly agree with your opinion since I was dumbfounded to think that this would be the case with Space Dandy.

raxephon91 wrote:
No one thinks this is going to be the next Bebop in either popularity or type.

I said, "maybe". But people try to find something related in a single medium or title. You cannot possibly not find any subtle similarity to story, setting, and music with Cowboy Bebop compared to this show. Even the users whom you consider to be, "no one," on funimations/adult swim/toonami facebook, twitter an instagram pages were posting about Bebop nostalgia rushes or hyping this to be the next western anime. Hype and popularity are one in the same. And overall, its speculation from observation.

Kikaioh wrote:
I personally don't see this as looking at all like the next Cowboy Bebop, and I hope that's not what they were aiming for, because then it would be trying to live up to a classic (which is crazy impossible), instead of doing its own thing.

Agreed. Overall I think its an anime for more anime centric fans. Not too otaku sublty from Kill la kill, or too drama induced from Kids on the Slope.

Kikaioh wrote:
it unfortunately seems you're in the far minority of the people I've met over the years, though I do realize there are circles of people who do share your point of view and I respect your opinion, though I don't necessarily agree with it. I personally don't see fanservice as an evil at all (only when there's way too much of it saturating the industry, because I do think things should be handled in moderation).

Its not, "evil". its just a nusance to show animes full potential. Even though H.O.T.D is basically the anime equivalent of a Michael Bay film with zombies and boobies, its still out of crontrol for the catering of the male demographic. Even Bay has contol on fanservie with females with it being visualy sublte somewhat. Now I beleive girls that enjoy severe fanservice are a minority since the modern anime demographic both east and west is considered a boys club not only inside but outside the community.

Leebo wrote:
No one thinks this is "going to save western fandom" and I don't even know what that means anyway.

Who said that? To answer your question though. Your theory is basically the beleif that this show will "save" the "wester fandom" by bringing us back in time to the popularity of anime in the 90s which I would be glad to turn back since my way of time travel would to bring bake king ADV. Which I know for a fact its not possible.

Overall, at least no ones' flamed my speculation yet to the ground.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, this might turn out be decent. I can't say I'm hyped for it though. It doesn't really seem that interesting. But who knows what it'll be like.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to watching this world premier on the 4th! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6