• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Michelle Lee

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
getchman wrote:
Hey guys, Funi just posted on their blog more info on how simulcast views support home releases

That was actually super helpful! Thanks for that! Very Happy

Here is the link as well:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/02/28/follow-up-to-our-anime-news-network-interview/#more-3919

Well, that quite literally answers my question. Thanks, Funi.

And thanks for posting the link and the mention of the update to the blog here.
jakewil85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I do not like ads, especially Hulu since they bypass ad block softwares. Also, I like to use chapter orders to skip opening and ending rather than use mouse to go fast forward. So I'm not a big fan of streaming shows.

Another problem is sometimes on-screen texts are not translated.

Oh and then there are insert songs that may not be subtitled or omitted. AKB0048 and Girls und Panzer are one I want to buy, but I guess not.

Yeah, I know, music rights are...

Whatever.

I was like why would R1 companies release physical home media when they cannot get music rights. That turns me off.

Then there are some series that have not been licensed for home media. Yet they are available on Crunchyroll. Makes harder to get BD/DVD over here. Oh, I see Kiss x Sis is not there. Geez. Even more reason why I am not fan of streaming.

What about Ro-Kyu-Bu? Oh, wait, Sentai Filmworks gave back home media rights.

Guess we can't get everything over here.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
jakewil85 wrote:

Sure you can: import Very Happy

Guess this tells us why some shows never got a physical release as well, at least by Funi. Well, there goes any chance of getting an R1 release of Minami-ke series. Please Ben-To don't wallow in R1 streaming only limbo.

So I guess all those S.A.V.E./priced down re-releases where the exception to their rules?
jakewil85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
jakewil85 wrote:

Yes, import is one way. But not for everyone. For me, an English subtitle is a must as I am deaf. Not all Japan BDs have English subtitle.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like to see collector's editions for Devil Is a Part Timer, Space Dandy, and Noragami.

If the DIaPT collector's edition came with a MgRonald's visor cap, that would be the single most awesome thing in the history of ever. Very Happy
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
jakewil85 wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:
jakewil85 wrote:

Yes, import is one way. But not for everyone. For me, an English subtitle is a must as I am deaf. Not all Japan BDs have English subtitle.

Thank you jake. You have reminded me that I need to pick up Kiss x Sis. I no longer use the "well, if you really want it, import it" line anymore because of this exact thing. Not everyone has the capability to enjoy an untranslated disc. A tiny sliver of JP BDs have an option for subtitles. My purchases are a 50/50 thing. The lack of subtitles won't stop me from buying but it means I will be watching it by myself :<
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Simulcast did great thing for me because I can re-watch a show before consider putting money for import.

Being a long time import collector, I would buy the Japanese LE import first and buy domestic regular edition later. I'm not a big fan domestic LE editions because I'm not too impressed with overall design of their LE packaging. To me, it's not about trinkets, but how things are designed and presented.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator, that is a good point. I discuss it with a friend a lot. Many of the designs done by NA companies for LE boxes come across as boring to me. I don't know if its because they are limited to or have to get approval on each bit of art they use but I feel they could do better. There is also something that bugs me when the logo is featured on EVERY side of the box.[/u]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
jakewil85 wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:
jakewil85 wrote:

Also, if you can't understand Japanese, then an English subtitle is also needed for that reason. Sadly, the Japanese PMMM LE BD sets had no English subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4