• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Riddle Story of Devil (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watch the series so i'm trying to catch up.
Since the show is both streaming by Funi and CR, is there any difference like censoring or something?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Another topic: how can one young looking woman have that many kids?

I got the impression they were spoiler[her siblings.] Am I wrong?

Haru continues to be a moron of the first rank. She actually spoiler[fell for that, "Tokaku wants to talk to you late at night in the deserted auditorium" gambit? Never occurred to her that if her ROOM-MATE really had something important to discuss they could have done it in their ROOM?] Oi.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-: I don't think she's really a moron, so much as willfully naive. Not knowing enough to watch her back doesn't really fit with how she's acting - I'd say she simply refuses to be suspicious of people; if spoiler[Tokaku want so meet in an odd place to discuss something], then by golly spoiler[she wants to speak with her in an odd place].

Also, Funimation's translation doesn't really leave any suggestion that they're anything but siblings - and I don't recall anybody calling her "kaa-san" or any such thing.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@Blood-: I don't think she's really a moron, so much as willfully naive.

Curious to know what you think the difference is.

Blood- is right. She is a moron. She KNOWS the mission of everyone is to kill her, yet she spoiler[accepts and TRUSTS a message from one of her designated assassins. Who the hell trusts a KNOWN hit man that has a contract on herself over her own bodyguard? Who the hell thinks their bodyguard would send them a message through one of the threats the bodyguard is designated to defend against? What, a moron?]

On top of that she clearly would have spoiler[died without Tokaku's rescue.] We still have no basis to understand where her confidence is coming from. I sure hope they justify it soon because it is getting annoying.

Come to think of it, I wonder why Haruki spoiler[set up such an elaborate Sampson-in-the-temple stunt when it looked like she had a pretty easy kill.] After all her prey is a moron. And once again spoiler[escaped due to luck and the diligence of her bodyguard. ]

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sat May 03, 2014 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Given that she knows everyone in the class except Tokaku is trying to kill her, "refusing to be suspicious" = moron of the first rank in my book. Sure, I can sort of buy her, "if I just rilly, rilly BELIEVE maybe people will change their minds like Tokaku did" but that doesn't mean you have to make it uber-easy for your opponents to kill you.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that if she started to be suspicious of people she would not be able to trust anyone and would just end up in despair, since most of her life people were either trying to kill her or die for her. Probably from losing someone close she made a promise that she would live for them and start trusting people. If she started to distrust everyone out for her school life would die, but she is determined that for everyone she lost that she will live the life and graduate.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If she started to distrust everyone out for her school life would die, but she is determined that for everyone she lost that she will live the life and graduate.

Sorry DP but that explanation just won't fly. At least it is not sufficient.

If she has a duty to live so that those who were sacrificed for her won't have died in vain then it is a dereliction of duty to be stupid about her own safety. She isn't going to be happy and friends with everyone if she is dead is she?

The ONLY thing that I can think of that can justify her attitude is if she knows she won't die no matter what. Even if Tokaku doesn't rescue her she will survive every attack. If for example she can be dismembered and somehow reassemble herself and live on. Of perhaps there will always be an intervention on her behalf even if it isn't Tokaku. More likely she has some hidden superpower that lights off just before she dies. We haven't seen that this is where the story is going, but I have nothing else to propose.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sat May 03, 2014 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Could she have even slept in the same room as Tokaku when she knew that she was just another assassin out to kill her? She seems to have made the active decision not to fear them until they have given the threat, which seems to be the rule, only one this week spoiler[knew to play off of that an use timing].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Cultural festival?
Yup, no one is safe from school events LOL
They seem to be forcing that play again.
Wonder if they're gonna use it to try and kill Haru.
The answer to that is yes.
Well, at least that's over now.
The play wasn't actually that bad.
Its ending was very much real.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
That was tragic...literally for the spoiler[play on stage. Little did the audience know that those weren't "props"...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So Chitaru and Hitsugi only really just met before going to the school, they really hit it off and maybe were good for each other. But she reveals that spoiler[to Hitsugi that she is looking for a master of poison]? It was so obvious then that spoiler[of course it has to be the only person she has confided in who's physique hints at a form of indirect assassination skills].

And in the play when I noticed that they were spoiler[playing the roles of Romeo and Juliet], yeah I was pretty sure where it was going to spoiler[finish, that is with them both dying in each other's arms]. Makes me kind of annoyed as spoiler[they were my favourite characters, and felt kind of underused compared to what I wanted]. But I guess they got a really good spoiler[dramatic way for them go].

Could have spoiler[used a kiss], guess I will have to hope for fan material. Lovely ED.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Makes me kind of annoyed as they were my favourite characters, and felt kind of underused compared to what I wanted.

I removed your spoiler tags because I don't see how you naming your favorite characters is a spoiler. By this episode they have made it pretty clear that you are not supposed to get attached to any character except the leads. And who knows -- maybe not them either but at this point I doubt it.

I have begun to wonder what the point of all this is anyway. They might as well have named this anime "Twelve Ways to Fail Your Mission And Die (or at least disappear)" because I really don't see what else there is here. Just an adventure every week to see how the good guys survive one more trap/ambush/plot/whatever.

As for the Riddles and the Devil -- I've forgotten all about them since they have so little impact on what story there is it isn't even worth bothering to remember what it was. Does anyone care?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Black class seems to be getting smaller each episode.
Wonder if only the strong remain now.
A fun little bomb this time.
This was a a bit more challenging then before.
Azuma had to play little game & use her brain.
Pool time is never dull with those assassins girl.
Things got quite interesting near the episode end.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Man, if anyone doubts this was a yuri series, well last episode about the play is a start. This episode, however, pretty much solidifies it! spoiler[And it's not just Haru giving the trapped Tokaku an underwater ki.....I mean buddy breathing, but the fact Tokaku remembered that and blushed! Obviously that's going to be significant in the grand scheme of things!] Anime hyper
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, spoiler[pool and bikini episode] and whoa, that was sad! spoiler[Stucked being young forever and watched your loved ones left you. Not much action this time, just a little brain work. At least Haru proved useful one time. Gotta like Suzu's voice this time around, between a young girl and someone acts her age]

spoiler[And seriously what the heck is Highlander Symdrome? The closest one I can find is immortality in Highlander series, which was fictional too. Quick! Some one needs to dissect to figure out the secret of eternal youth Laughing ]

Next week, spoiler[white-haired psycho.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8