• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baby Steps (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 14:

That was cute tbh. I didn't think the confession was surprising. I think there were some hinting already in the OP song anyways. However, I'm very glad to see that Natsu and Marou officially became a couple Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the moment between them, especially with Natsu which we rarely get insight into what she is thinking despite her being very open. I like to think she was actually anxious about it, that she is the type to smile about that instead of showing worry.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
I guess you could also read their playing styles into the interaction. Eichiro was reasoning through what he should do while Natsu "instinctively" just went for it when it felt right at the time, without actually planning for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 15:

Ooh nice buildup. It's kinda interesting how they gave Maruo a bit of a warm-up match before his face off against Ide. I'm not sure how long they will adapt the match but I'm excited to see it.

Also, some priceless reactions at the characters after learning that he is going out with Natsu Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
It is like the main character of some other series popped in.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
^ What do you mean?

Ooh, I knew that revelation wasn't going to go over well with a certain someone. Smile Aoi's bemusement over it was pretty funny.

But the cliche Babe Ruth storyline might be the first real misstep of the series. I wish they'd chosen a different setup to put the pressure on. Still, I don't dislike the move of putting Maruo in the "heel" role, since it should be interesting to see how he copes. Probably he'll be struggling and then Natsu will come cheer for him and make it all better. I know, I'm selling the writers short on that. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 42

Ok, maybe I'm not selling the writers short on this arc. :/ The kid has just had surgery and has barely had time to awaken from anesthesia, and they bring him to the match? With what, a private nurse hired on the spot, or whisking away hospital personnel? Who is this kid? Really, this was a lame way to amp up the drama and not what I expect from this show.

Also, it looks like Natsu will come to the rescue with inspiring cheers next week, since we got a shot of her apparently done with her game and noticing the commotion at his. I won't really mind that I guess, but they've just done it before.

If I thought this series could last another 100 episodes, there's even the possibility he'd lose, but I don't think they'll have him start over at this point. He has to win this game to make it to the next tournament, right?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 18

Man that was intense, all the visualisation training Eichiro has done really pushed him forward, and he managed to win at an on the edge of your seats match. I wonder if I actually felt this intense with the show before that I practically felt compelled to cheer along with it, like another sports anime I liked.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The match was brilliant imo from start to finish and the latest episode this week captured every moment I had hoped for. It's nice to also see Maruo's training to work out in the end with his comeback that turned out to be a very close match.

Both players earned my respect though.

Just a great match in general.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, Nat-chan did come to cheer as predicted, but thankfully he'd already done all the hard work himself. I should have had more faith. Wink And it was amusing watching him try to precisely calculate the boundary between 30 and 40% of his stress.

I'm glad the outcome was so friendly, and hope we get a little more denouement before they launch into the next arc. Unless I missed it, we didn't get to see how the kid took the loss at all, let alone his main fans. Seemed a bit odd, for a medium that lives and dies by reaction shots. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 44

Well, they filled in everything to my satisfaction, and had some fun with Nat-chan and Maruo. Can someone explain the tennis racket thing for the serve to me?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 44

Can someone explain the tennis racket thing for the serve to me?

You mean the underhand serve thing?

To my understanding it must be like an Eephus Pitch in baseball. In baseball, pitches are typically a variety of change-ups to fastballs that range from 70 -105 MPH, but very occasionally a pitcher will throw an Eephus Pitch (according to wiki it comes from the Hebrew for "nothing"), a high, slow, lobbed pitch that ranges 50-60 MPH and resembles a slow-pitch softball. Normally very easy for a professional hitter to hit but the surprise of it catches the hitter completely off-guard and they can't react. If done effectively it produces a strike.
Like an Eephus, an easy underhand serve would be a psychological attack to disrupt a player's rhythm.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
No, the holding the racket like flipping a coin. I didn't get what "top" or "bottom" referred to that wouldn't be known (the logo on the end of the racket is always going to be where it is).

Edit: Never mind. I found it. We only got to see the last bit of the ritual so there wasn't enough to suss it out if you didn't already know. I might have been able to figure it out if they'd translated it as "up" and "down" instead of "top" and "bottom" though. Smile

"But in amateur events, there are loopholes. And I'm going to show you how to exploit them. As well, a coin isn't typically used. One player will spin his racquet and ask 'up or down?' The opponent will choose one, and then the butt cap of the racquet will be used to determine if it was the correct decision. Typically, if the logo on the butt cap is right-side up, then it is said to be up. If it is upside down, then it is said to be down."
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, figured that out. I think if they held on it it might have given something away. The kid was possibly cheating or using a trick to get Mauro to chose wrong. His game is apparently psychological, so the match's focus is almost certainly going to be all about tricks an feints.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
Oh, so Eiichio is going from a battle against nerves, to one with a focus on psychical combat (tennis).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5