• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds A Certain Magical Index Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Yen Press said that they do their light novels on a 4-month schedule. While yes, hardcore fans may prefer to get them more often, it's a matter of not flooding the market, and making the series accessible for new fans as well. Plus, it gives their translators time to do it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:02 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Yen Press aims to publish about 24 books next year.

It's their funeral. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Oh wow, they got the Index novels! Now the main source materials of the Raildex series are covered.

Unfortunately they never said anything about its graphic novels which in itself sucks. was looking forward to reading the manga version of toaru no majustu index.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Oh wow, they got the Index novels! Now the main source materials of the Raildex series are covered.

Unfortunately they never said anything about its graphic novels which in itself sucks. was looking forward to reading the manga version of toaru no majustu index.

Why? The manga skips two important arcs and the art is subpar more often than not. There's pretty much 0 reason to read it even over the anime. Just read the novels.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy in that the series might get a lot more recognition and I can pick up the earlier volumes I don't already own... but I'm sad when I think that they are a decade behind and won't ever be making up ground to the source material (so I guess I'll keep buying the new ones right away).

Anyone know if Yen's books are generally the same size as the original? Would be nice if they would match all the volumes currently on my shelf.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'm happy in that the series might get a lot more recognition and I can pick up the earlier volumes I don't already own... but I'm sad when I think that they are a decade behind and won't ever be making up ground to the source material (so I guess I'll keep buying the new ones right away).

Anyone know if Yen's books are generally the same size as the original? Would be nice if they would match all the volumes currently on my shelf.

Highly unlikely. also it takes long for series that dont have the shonen jump brand or series that are insanely popular in the otaku community to get to the US which is why it took this long for this series to be finally released in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
partially

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

Yen Press aims to publish about 24 books next year.

It's their funeral. Laughing

This is what I am thinking. It is doable, but editing is really going to suffer and it's already not that stellar.

I am hoping they aren't going to descend to Tokyopop levels of awfulness, their novel releases became a joke just before they folded shop.

I have read some of the Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? manga, and it is actually fairly entertaining, so I will pick up the first few releases of the novel to see how it goes.

It is interesting seeing they are doing a big push into light novels now. They just finished up Haruhi and Book Girl (although not the Book Girl short stories, though I haven't gotten a response from them whether they will release them). So some of their plate freed up. But it did take them a number of years to finish up both of them, so unless they really pick up speed some of these choices seem odd.

I am sort of wondering whether Yen Press will start doing omnibus style light novels to get through Index. I am also wondering what happened to Accel World, which they licences last time but it never appeared on their site and they have said nothing since that I know of.

Last edited by partially on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
What is with all the negativity. The way I see it we are getting something, in print, legally, that we didn't have before. If it takes awhile to get them all in print, it is still better than never. I don't see any sign of another publisher willing to put them all out in one big package.

As far as the translation and editing, wait until they make mistakes before you complain. And don't sweat the small stuff. If minor mistakes don't impair the story don't worry about them.

Like I said, we are getting something we didn't have, I fail to see how that is a bad thing.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I mention it because they already do make mistakes, so I have waited to complain. Razz Don't get me wrong, I am not being negative, I like Yen Press and buy a lot of their books. I just don't want to see them get worse. I am fine with grammatical errors and minor mistakes. It is when books have obviously been so rushed that mistakes start appearing that would've been blatantly clear to a spell check, and wrong characters appearing by mistake etc that I have a problem. As long as they don't descend to Tokyopop level (reading Twelve Kingdoms was torture despite liking the series) or Amazon self-publishing I will be happy. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by partially on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
What is with all the negativity. The way I see it we are getting something, in print, legally, that we didn't have before. If it takes awhile to get them all in print, it is still better than never. I don't see any sign of another publisher willing to put them all out in one big package.

The biggest problem is that the fan-translations will probably stop now.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes I have to wait! I have to support the author to continue writing! I would rather my stuff free! (Disclaimer: if you bought the Japanese book and read the fan translation you are better than me, continue as you were Laughing )

The odd thing I find about such complaints is that quite often I find (except for some cases, Index being one of them) that the official US release of titles actually ends up faster than fan translations by the end. Sure it takes a while to catch up, but if it is an ongoing series that doesn't really matter.

And no probably about it BT always stops translations on licence.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
You would bring up Twelve Kingdoms. I had to buy the paperbound version of the last volume because TokyoPop omitted part of a chapter in the hard bound version.

I think Yen Press would have to work at it to get anywhere near TP's level of problems. Tokyo Pop was run by a quixotic madman. It is hard to match that level of problems. Though I will say that even with all the problems and unfinished series, I probably still got more pleasure than grief from Tokyo Pop.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
this is exciting news
partially

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes wonder how some mistakes make it through. I had a CMX manga once that repeated a sequence of around 40 pages twice in place of the 80 pages there should have been. But yeah now I am going off-topic. Laughing

I wish Yen Press would rescue Twelve Kingdoms. Wink And how 'bout at the same time Scholastic continue Moribito, they were some nicely done books.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I can confirm that the SAO light novels are the exact same size as their normal, non-omnibus manga volumes. Because I got SAO 1 from them at the panel.

partially wrote:
(although not the Book Girl short stories, though I haven't gotten a response from them whether they will release them).

It was asked at the panel, and they explicitly stated that they cannot and will not answer any questions on unannounced and/or potential licenses, for legal reasons. Send suggestions to them all the way, but until there are signed contracts in their hands that they have 100% guarantee are done deals that they can release, they refuse to say anything. They also noted that they have never had an announcement that they have had to take back.

Quote:
I am also wondering what happened to Accel World, which they licences last time but it never appeared on their site and they have said nothing since that I know of.

Accel World Novel 1 comes out in July, according to both their website and Right Stuf
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5