• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: COMPLETE!!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't have to justify every one, right?

C-1: Mononoke
Ghibli might be pretty, but I wouldn't say it did anything particularly inventive with its animation or aesthetics.

C-2: Kaiba

C-3: Kanashimi no Belladonna
The 70s were a weird time for sure. Ping Pong looks very manga-like to me with its paneling thing going on, and yeah, Taiyo Matsumoto has interesting character designs, but I also think they're fugly.

C-4: Evangelion
I don't think either deserve to be here, they're both pretty vanilla to me and should certainly be crushed by C-3's winner, but yeah, Eva did have some weird lighting and chairs and stuff. What did Last Exile have, CGI that's just a bit too obvious?

C-5: Akira
I remember being pretty damn blown away when I first saw this. Even today, the animation is damn impressive and has lots of interesting things visually going on with it. I do think time has diminished the daringness of this a bit, but I still think it can go through this round.

C-6: Flag
Birdy just has a few cool scenes, but Flag's first person view isn't just for visual gimmick, it's actually part of how the story is told. A lot of other shows have a neat visual style, but they're mostly there for visual interest and show, rather than being integral to the plot. Flag should be a top contender in this tourney.

C-7: Flowers of Evil

C-8: From the New World
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Ghibli might be pretty, but I wouldn't say it did anything particularly inventive with its animation or aesthetics.

We all know how much you hate Ghibli, but I'm pretty sure he meant the tv series
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

We all know how much you hate Ghibli, but I'm pretty sure he meant the tv series

No, I'm aware it's the TV series of no relation to Ghibli. Of course, that only made it easier to vote for Mononoke over Nausicaa. I've seen Mononoke before, I plan to buy it when I get a chance too.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Ah, my mistake then
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
C1
Mononoke 1 2
Vs.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 1

Mononoke has pretty unusual color schemes and forms, so it gets my vote. I do think though that Nausicaa is the most aesthetically daring of Miyazaki’s works, perhaps with the exception of The Wind Rises (with very interesting depictions of transparency and translucency).

C2
Kaiba 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Animatrix: Kid's Story 1

I think both are strong here. Kid’s Story wins for me because I’m more interested in its distorted realism than Kaiba starting from a place farther from realistic. I really liked the particular jattention to exaggeration of gravity and balance that’s in Kid’s story

C3
Ping Pong 1 2 3
Vs.
Kanashimi no Belladonna 1

Voting for: Kanashimi no Belladonna

C4
Last Exile 1
Vs.
Evangelion 1 2

Don’t like either, but Evangelion is slightly better.
C5
Tsuritama 2
Vs.
Akira 1

Akira is magnificent, but I find it mostly conventional, so Tsuritama it is.

C6
Birdy the Mighty: Decode 1 2 3 4 5
Vs.
FLAG 1

Birdy gets my vote here.

To me, the fights aren’t just slick or fluid. They convey a degree of intensity with their rawness and distortion that I have never seen before or since in any kind of animation. Quite a few people (even some in this tournament) don’t like this, and claim that they’re badly drawn. In fact, there was such an outrage at the content of video #1 here that it was changed for the DVD version.

However, it wasn’t sloppiness that caused this. It was enthusiasm and intent. In an interview, several animators said that they used this project to be free of having to draw things the same way every time and try out all sorts of new techniques and ways of doing things to give a unique performance.

The result blew me away by really going beyond anything else I’ve seen.

C7
Flowers of Evil 1 2
Vs.
Sexy Commando 1 2

Not a fan of either of these. Flowers’ merely being rotoscoped, even though that’s not common at all in anime, isn’t enough for me to vote for it in most matchups, but here Flowers of Evil gets my vote over Sexy Commando and its seemingly random chibiness.

C8
Oh Edo Rocket 1 2
Vs.
From the New World 1 2 3 4

From the New World utilized many different art styles, with extended sequences and entire episodes showcasing the style of a single artist or group of artists ( For Example Shingo Yamashita for the demon story in ep 1, Jun Arai in the flashback of ep 3, and Shigeyasu Yamauchi and others he likes to work with for all of ep 5 and 10).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
C1
Mononoke 1 2
Vs.

Voting For: Mononoke

There's no doubt about it, Mononoke looks stunning. Those backgrounds, those patterns, that character design. Compared to the conventional Nausicaa this wasn't even remotely hard to choose.

C2
Kaiba 1 2 3 4
Vs.

Voting For: Kaiba

Kaiba blows my mind each and every episode, and the visuals play an important part in that. They look embarrassingly simple yet are anything but. The style used doesn't look like anime at all, and the animation is very smooth (at least to my eyes). But most importantly, the visuals are allowed to tell much of the story in a way most shows don't, and it really works.

C3
Ping Pong 1 2 3
Vs.

Voting For: Kanashimi no Belladonna

This was a difficult match for me to decide on. Ping Pong of course has great aesthetics - especially for a sports show - but in the end the sumptuous visuals for Belladonna won me over.

C4
Last Exile 1
Vs.
Evangelion 1 2

Voting For: Evangelion

Oh boy. From the groundbreaking design of the Evas to the giant tree of life thingy in Gendo's enormous office to SEELE's creepy monoliths to the infamous introspective scenes and the spectacular combat storyboarding, Evangelion really set the stage for symbolism, motifs, mechanical designs and artistic direction in mecha. Last Exile looked very nice but it wasn't anywhere near as groundbreaking or as impressive as what Hideaki Anno came up with.

C5
Tsuritama 2
Vs.
Akira 1

Voting For: Tsuritama

Akira gets a lot of praise for its animation, but in terms of visual impact I found Tsuritama's colourful backgrounds and "flat" character designs to be more memorable.

C6
Vs.
FLAG 1

Voting For: FLAG

Birdy the Mighty: Decode has very fluid and expressive animation, but FLAG beats it hands down in my mind for its inventiveness. Nearly everything we see is through a camera or computer screen, and although it sounds like a gimmick it makes for a fantastic series that always challenges us to rethink the way we view anime.

C7
Flowers of Evil 1 2
Vs.
Sexy Commando 1 2

Voting For: Flowers of Evil

Flowers of Evil is famous (infamous?) for the rotoscoping, the realistic expressions, the use of unsettling off-key buzzing instead of BGM . . . look, I could go on and on, but the reason I'm voting for it is clear. It is extremely daring and, in terms of aesthetics, absolutely unique.

C8
Oh Edo Rocket 1 2
Vs.

Voting For: From the New World

FTNW's use of colour and contrast is obvious, but the little things also help. The designs of the various creatures are really cool, as is the warped effects when the power goes out of control. Although the quality control was always suspect, there was a real sense of artistic vision in how the show looked and "felt".
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the lateness; hope I'm not too late - this maybe a little rises so I can get it in on time.

Round 1, Group C:

C1
Mononoke 1 2
Vs.

Voting for Mononoke compared to Mononoke, Nausicca looks rather tame, Mononoke looks crazy and bizarre, looks like someone as let may colours of paint run into one another and filmed the merging at X1,000,000,000 Laughing

C2
Kaiba 1 2 3 4
Vs.

Voting for Kid's story

C3
Ping Pong 1 2 3
Vs.

Voting for Ping Pong

C4
Last Exile 1
Vs.
Evangelion 1 2

Voting for Eva I love the look of Last Exile but Eva stands above for me as it always has an ominous feel about it visually, I never felt too comfortable. Combat and movement during it stands out. Last Exile uses a lot of CGI so looses out for me.

C5
Tsuritama 2
Vs.
Akira 1

Voting for Akira

C6
Vs.
FLAG 1

Voting for Birdy

C7
Flowers of Evil 1 2
Vs.
Sexy Commando 1 2

Voting for Flowers of Evil

C8
Oh Edo Rocket 1 2
Vs.

Voting for From the New World
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
Round 1, Group C is now closed!

And don't worry about it, you're not late. For future reference, everyone can still vote until I close the round. I'll try my best to do it as soon after the time it's supposed to end as possible, but It'd be silly to not take votes made before my tally. If I haven't closed up, feel free to vote, though you're only guaranteed to be able to before the designated end time.

So, we have 3 shutouts and 2 ties, with most of the non shutout matches being competitive the whole way thorugh. An interesting mix here.

Mononoke demolished Nausicaa 8-0.

Kaiba and Kid's Story remain in a deadlock 4-4. they will both advance, and there will be a 3-way matchup the next time they appear.

Kanashimi no Belladonna beat Ping Pong in a close 5-3. I predicted that Ping Pong would win, even though I myself wasn't so enamored with it.

Evangelion dominated Last exile 7-1.

Tsuritama won a close battle with Akira 5-3.

Birdy Decode and FLAG are also in a deadlock 4-4.

Flowers of Evil shut out Sexy Commando 8-0

From the New World shut out Oh Edo Rocket 8-0.

So here we are now!

Last edited by Galap on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Tsuna, just in time! You saved Kid's Story and Birdy the Mighty: Decode from not passing. Wink
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Tsuna, just in time! You saved Kid's Story and Birdy the Mighty: Decode from not passing. Wink

Woohoo! I'm awesome Wink

I was meant to do it last night but completely forgot after work; was too distracted reading Ookiku Furikabutte Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Round 1, Group D:

D1
Madoka Magica 1 2
Vs.
Tezuka's 13 1 2

D2
Oban Star Racers 1 2 3
Vs.
House of Five Leaves 1

D3
Hidamari Sketch 1
Vs.
Gilgamesh 1 2 3

D4
Fantastic Children 1 2
Vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1 2 3

D5
Metropolis 1 2 3
Vs.
Boogiepop Phantom 1 2 3 4

D6
Nagi no Asukara 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Cat Soup 1

D7
Red Garden 1 2 3
Vs.
Aria 1 2 3 4

D8
Attack on Titan 1
Vs.
Redline 1 2 3
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
D1
Madoka Magica

Wow, tough match-up for my nominee here. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be beaten and I honestly wouldn't be too upset either. However, I still think it deserves a hell of a lot more credit than it gets, plus it's worth remembering that Tezuka did base a lot of his stuff off of North American animation, particularly early work by Disney, and that influence can definitely be seen in the clips for his experimental films.

D2
House of Five Leaves

D3
Hidamari Sketch

D4
Fantastic Children

D5
Metropolis

D6
Cat Soup

Nagi no Asukara has a neat gimmick that it handles quite well aesthetically but the video for Cat Soup blows that away within the first five seconds.

D7
Red Garden

D8
Redline

Attack on Titan does not even deserve to have made it past nominations. It only did so because we didn't have enough nominees to knock it out. I think it is an amazing show but nothing about its aesthetics are that daring, besides a few cool Titan designs.

Plus, I've heard nothing but good things about Redline, enough that it is on my to-watch list for aesthetics alone.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
D1
Madoka Magica 1 2
Vs.
Tezuka's 13 1 2

Voting for: Tezuka's 13

D2
Oban Star Racers 1 2 3
Vs.
House of Five Leaves 1

Voting for: House of five leaves
It takes a it to get used to the way it is drawn, but the character design for me really stood out. The backgrounds are so detailed they almost look lie photos and they look very realistic, yet poetic. The attention to detail in drawing backgrounds seems almost unnecessary when compared with plain looking, almost ugly characters.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/K8CyQ04.jpg
[/url]

[url]http://i.imgur.com/C3ofVEa.jpg
[/url]

D3
Hidamari Sketch 1
Vs.
Gilgamesh 1 2 3

Voting for: Gilgamesh

D4
Fantastic Children 1 2
Vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1 2 3

Voting for: Fantastic Children

D5
Metropolis 1 2 3
Vs.
Boogiepop Phantom 1 2 3 4

Voting for: Metropolis.
I saw Boogiepop Phantom and is is a great show, but I am persoanlly more drawn to old school animation of Metropolis, the character design and the splendid, futuristic architecture. And attention to detail in shots like this
[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__xu7MZeVtnQ/TUAdqO9RlbI/AAAAAAAAAOk/pFDUkXJtNyQ/s1600/metropolis%2Banime%2B05.png
[/img]

D6
Nagi no Asukara 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Cat Soup 1

Voting for: Cat Soup.
The other contestant looks stunning, but in terms of daringness, Cat Soup definitely has an upper hand.

D7
Red Garden 1 2 3
Vs.
Aria 1 2 3 4

Voting for: Red Garden.
I don't know if the musical bits and characters' singing can be counted as part of the series aesthetics, but it was sure something different.

D8
Attack on Titan 1
Vs.
Redline 1 2 3

Voting for: Redline
Much as I love Attack on Titan, Redline visually is more complex and innovative.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
D-1: Tezuka's 13
Lots of experimental stuff here, Tezuka was a lot more innovative than people gave him credit for I think.

D-2: Oban Star-Racers
I think people are underestimating this one, House of Five Leaves does not deserve a shut out against Oban Star-Racers. For one, it's the rare anime series that can actually use CGI correctly (this is probably because Japan didn't do the CGI, France did, but still). The environments have great variety, as do the aliens (in both looks and biology). I feel like HoFL is getting a pass for art style, even though Oban has that in spades too.

D-3: Gilgamesh
D-4: Utena
D-5: Metropolis
D-6: Cat Soup
D-7: Red Garden
I think I was one of the few who voted against Aria in nominations. It's pretty, sure, but I don't feel like it does anything aesthetically unique, it's just really pretty. At least Red Garden had ugly characters I guess?

D-8: Redline
Those bold distinct lines, man, it only makes the crazy action highlight even more! Attack on Titan... yeah, probably was just a filler spot in the tourney.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I'm moving tomorrow, and won't have internet for a bit, so the beginning of round 2 is probably going to be delayed by a day or so, just FYI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10