• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Searching for that 5% of anime that is WOW!"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I probably haven't given a 10/10 to anything recent in a long time, and I also feel like other posters here that you're more likely to hand out grades like that when your brand new to the medium because your own personal scale and spectrum for what's really good or not hasn't been fully set. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust might seem like a 10/10 upon your first watch when you're just starting out, but subsequent viewings make it slide down to a still-respectable 9/10. Same with stuff a whole bunch of anime because the scale's been adjusted over time and the anime that truly standout push those buttons claw their way into the 10/10 slot, and I believe that's what 10/10's usually represent for most people, the shows that absolutely speak to them the most, the cherish beyond mere words. At least, that's how I tend to grade, which means even handing out 9/10s becomes rarer.

I think that my ratings have become less rigorous over time though as I tend to be less demanding as the volume of low quality titles that I have watched has increased. When I joined the forum in 2012 I gave 10/10 much more rarely than I do now and many titles that I gave 8/10 or 9/10 got upgraded one point (example: Girls und Panzer was promoted from 8/10 to 9/10, Legend of Galactic Heroes, from 9/10 to 10/10). As I started to appreciate more their greatness after contrasting these titles with the more mediocre stuff I watched later on.

Though I am still quite a newbie so it will take a few more years before I can say how my grading will evolve from "medium experienced fan" to "highly experienced fan", then I think I will get more strict with ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4