• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shirobako

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode was good yet again. The resolution of Ema's short arc was handled flawlessly. She learned a good lesson. Her equivalent to playing hours of dragon age was taking a walk and playing with cats. Her friend there gave her good advice on that front.

Miyamori's sister doesn't look like she's having much fun at her job though. Seems she just needed a break otherwise she would have stabbed something. I know that feel.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
BTW here's a list of real life cameos
http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=862

That's a good site to check-out the real-life counterparts, I'm impressed
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
While on one hand, I think a life spent making car parts in CG sounds like hell, I do appreciate the stability of the job.

What I am really interested in is what happens about 3 episodes later. Throughout the run of exodus and all the mishaps, we have also been learning about the girls through looks at creative struggles. Now that the last few girls are up, soon we will be done meeting people and will have a mostly developed cast to work with. I don't think the show will disappoint, I look forward to Shirobako the most almost every week.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Sorry, although I'm enjoying your reviews of Your Lie in April, I'm getting the impression that you just aren't paying enough attention to this show before you write your reviews: the list of careless mistakes just keeps growing. Granted, there are a lot of characters in Shirobako, so I would not expect a reviewer to get all of their names right, but is important to at least understand the context of their interactions.

First, as other posters pointed out previously, the person who Aoi calls Nee-chan and who has the same last name, is Aoi's sister, not friend. Thank you for editing your review of Episode 8 to reflect that, you might want to consider doing the same for the review of episode 7.

Also as pointed out but another poster, the person interested in pursing his goal of placing in a cycling hill climb race, that Aoi confronts about lying about having a torn muscle and complains to him about his not doing the work he is supposed to be doing for her, is not her neighbor, he is an animator.

In this episode, Misa is not talking to "one of her bosses", but the company president who was literally introduced a minute earlier. However what prompted me to post was this:

Rose Bridges wrote:
Mii storms off in anger, one of her bosses approaches her outside. He tells her she'll likely continue to do car animation, because that is their company's specialty. However, he reminds her that nothing is stopping her from making the anime she wants to on the side.

I have absolutely no idea where you got that supposed advice from. It is neither in the subtitles nor in the original Japanese - it is not even close. Check again for yourself, starting around 16:35 in the CR stream.

What he actually says is: if Misa actually has a goal, she should take some time and think carefully about how she would go about achieving it. If she does not actually try and think specifically about what she needs to do in the future, she will never actually achieve her goal.

That is nothing like "making the anime she wants to on the side", or "you don't have to choose between your dreams and eating". I cannot understand how it could be interpreted that way.

It also would have been irresponsible advice (and completely out of character for the president who has built up a company on dedication), the amount of effort and dedication necessary for Misa to create her anime, is not something she and her friends could accomplish "on the side" - it is not another school club project. Shirobako has so far spent a lot of time showing how difficult making anime is. To have the 5 friends then create an anime that they can be satisfied with and be proud of in their spare time would be contradicting pretty much everything the show has portrayed so far.

The rest of the review is generally fine. If the review was not otherwise worth reading, the error would not have stood out as much.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I apologize for the issues before; as I've noted in earlier reviews, I often find the little details of who's-who in this show hard to follow, since it has a very large cast but only a few characters who are actually fleshed-out or even just named frequently. I think a lot of it is irrelevant to the point I'm usually trying to make about the show's messages and its major characters' arcs (does it really change the context of her conversation with cyclist-dude that he's her coworker instead of her neighbor? I don't think so, not over that), but I can see why it frustrates people. I have been trying to keep a closer eye on this as I go along, and checking stuff against websites on the show if I'm confused about a name or two.

However, I really don't think that a difference in interpretation is a "careless" mistake. Yeah, he said all the stuff you mentioned, but he was also clearly encouraging her to go for what she wanted outside of her job. And while making an anime takes a lot of work, I don't see how "you can plan for it outside your job" is bad advice. No one expects them to make the whole thing on their own, but work on conceptual stuff, like outlines of plot/characters or art sketches? Anyone can do that, and I imagine that's where a lot of anime start. It's a little pedantic and silly to me to say "you didn't quote the message he said word-for-word, but took your own interpretation, therefore it's a factual error."

That said, I'm glad to hear you like the reviews otherwise and I appreciate the feedback. I've been keeping a closer eye on those little details and will continue to do so in the future.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

However, I really don't think that a difference in interpretation is a "careless" mistake. Yeah, he said all the stuff you mentioned, but he was also clearly encouraging her to go for what she wanted outside of her job. And while making an anime takes a lot of work, I don't see how "you can play for it outside your job" is bad advice.
No one expects them to make the whole thing on their own, but work on conceptual stuff, like outlines of plot/characters or art sketches? Anyone can do that, and I imagine that's where a lot of anime start. It's a little pedantic and silly to me to say "you didn't quote the message he said word-for-word, but took your own interpretation, therefore it's a factual error."

Sorry, my point was not that you did not quote what he said word for word, if you notice, I did not either. It was that your interpretation was so far removed from what he said, that the meaning was changed.

We both agree that the company president is encouraging Misa to follow through on her goal. What we disagree on is exactly how he is doing that. He is presented as someone who has, in a relatively short period of time, made his company's work sought after and respected. He accomplished this by intently focusing on a single specific niche in the market. His company does one thing, and it does it exceptionally well: it animates cars. His company does not do non-vehicle projects on the side, its tight focus is what has made it successful.

The company president's reply is to Misa after she expresses her desire to animate something other than cars because she wants to someday be able to create her own anime. His reply is very practical and specific: if Misa has a goal, she first needs to think about specific ways of accomplishing it. If she does not do that, she will never make any progress.

It is a big stretch to read that as an invitation to "make the anime she wants on the side" while she continues to work for his company. That interpretation is also not something that would be expected from someone who has built such a tightly focused organization. It seems unlikely that he would consider splitting her attention to be good advice.

It is actually more realistic (and more in keeping with the context of the scene) to interpret it as: complaining about her situation will not get her anywhere, Misa needs to decide if her current job working for a company that only animates cars is helping her reach her goal. If it is not, one of the steps (among others) that she should decide on is, can she find another job where she can actually learn the skills she needs.

Subsequent episodes will likely show what steps toward her goal Misa actually decides to take, but I would be very surprised if she decides to stay where she is and just sort of tries to work towards her goal in her spare time.

As far as "No one expects them make the whole thing on their own", from everything we have seen in the show, that is beyond obvious. However, at the present time, they are clearly not in a position to get the project off the ground at all. Honestly, for the 5 friends to be in that position, the show would very likely have to skip ahead at least 7 to 10 years. Also, even after such a time skip, creating an anime feature or series is not something they could accomplish on the side. Just the logistics of arranging, organizing and managing the project and all the people and expenses involved, as we have seen, make it more than a 40 hour per week commitment, let alone a part time one.
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call this a disappointment, but was really hoping that Mii-chan would go to America. Just imagine the developments that could lead to! Have her work for a Disney esque company, and we all know how well CG movies like Frozen have done. Maybe she could come back years later after working hard to climb the ranks in good old Murica. But maybe that idea only works in my head.

And I do love those visual representations of the characters life choices. I would be lying if I said they didn't ring true at all.
traveling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It was another strong episode that depicts working life problems with the gloss of anime on top.

I really think the series is setting up Aoi to go through a lot of character development and become a better character in the second half with her taking on episode 13 and many of her coworkers leaving.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
(does it really change the context of her conversation with cyclist-dude that he's her coworker instead of her neighbor? I don't think so, not over that)

Not looking to bust your ****s, but THAT one actually is pretty important because... The bike guy is the guy she keeps having trouble getting key frames from. If it were just her neighbor (or some "guy who works at MusaAni") then she probably wouldn't even care what he's doing and his message CAN be (as you said) "aim for your dreams", but BECAUSE of who he is, his comments are basically "I'm slacking off because I have other things I want to do". Him going on his bike is like the director drinking beer for hours, sometimes we just don't wanna work and that can make OTHER people's jobs a pain in the @$$.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Great episode, great review. Not much else to say. They finally gave Aoi some depth, though I saw it coming many episodes ago, what with the hints of her not feeling well with not having a proper dream or goal.

spoiler[Next episode: let's meet with Hideaki Anno! (or at least that world's Hideaki Anno).]
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This show was an unexpected gem. I'm loving every moment of it. Definitely one of my tops for the year.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
Here's another cameo: President/producer Masahiko Inami of The Born studio aka President/Producer Masahiko Minami of the Bones Studio.

They even got his hobby right.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Haha, that Hideaki Anno cameo was priceless. I like how the illustrate him as a wise figure that gives Aoi a push instead of the harsh and rather antisocial person I've seen him as in other fictional works (in the drama Aoi Honoo, for example).

Yeah, the second half wasn't as strong, but it was fun, and it worked for closure. I really want to see how they work on their next project.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
I really liked the second half, Sugie saved christmas! And it was interesting to hear some commentary about the age gap in animation, and moe culture.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
The end of episode makes me wonder if the next cour will jump right into the middle of the production of their next series the same way the beginning of each season of Mad Men starts in the middle of whatever is happening with all the characters after a certain amount of time has passed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11