• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toshio Okada Rips Apart Gundam Reconguista

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Character design looks like E7 because the character designer is the same in both shows. Ever wondered why some many animes have the same looking characters ? It's nothing new. On the other hand E7 doesn't have the esthetic appeal of the 80s and neither does Gundam Reconguista. Shiny colors and easy going characters doesn't an 80s anime make.

Yup, I'm so glad for this too, been looking forward to Yoshida leading another show's visuals for years and his very dynamic animation (and charm as others have said).

Agreed on the reveals little by little through the dialogue and events, I also imagine some viewers just aren't used to it since it's a style that doesn't happen all that often (especially these days with 13 episode seasons). I'm also curious if this indeed ends up in the 50 eps area, whether split or not (the posters sighting 24-26 might also have to do with the staff hiding a cliffhanger/split), which would also give it more time to start slipping in the main plot. The pacing has been quite good as the show feels quite lively even if we don't have the full picture yet of how the different forces are really going to be used.

I also think somewhat older fans may be at an advantage in that some of us are probably still used to having some 50 ep shows and the pacing of reveals that used to go with them like Eureka Seven.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
lol we're printing blatant hate articles now and trying to direct opinion in a certain direction. Keep on keeping on with that rather obvious bias ANN. You're no different from the general blogosphere.

Good heavens. Shooting the messenger much?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Dude shouldn't complain about stories with horrible narrative structures after giving us Wings of Honneamise. Rolling Eyes
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I like Gundam a lot but I hate Tomino. Everything he "directs" is usually shit, stupid, and incoherent. It's pretty nice seeing someone tear into him. I still remember zeta gundam. Characters falling in love every other scene, a story that made little sense and had no setup(I don't care if it's a sequel)....utter nonsense. I'm positive the clowns who praise Tomino, do it out of nostalgia and have no idea what good writing is.

Nyren wrote:

My favorite Gundam series to date is Gundam 00.

*high fives*

Last edited by redranger on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Veniamin wrote:
"I can't figure out what's going on"

Isn't that the entire point of Gundam?

Not really, that is just a later Tomino thing. Most of the series set things up pretty quickly.

Rufifox wrote:
while the anime looks cool, very 80's

The issue I have with the throwback to old school animation is that while it may look kinda like old school animation, it doesn't look like old school gundam. Kind of defeats any benefit of making it look old school.

I would say Gundam UC is actually a better throwback to how gundam use to look than this is even though it is new and shiny because the designs are in line with something you could see in old school gundam. But when I look at this, I just see low quality frames and not 'oh hey its old school gundam'.

Yeah with it's heavy use of CGI, fluid animation throughout, and modern directorial techs it's definitely more of a throwback than this Rolling Eyes
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
I like Gundam a lot but I hate Tomino. Everything he "directs" is usually shit, stupid, and incoherent. It's pretty nice seeing someone tear into him. I still remember zeta gundam. Characters falling in love every other scene, a story that made little sense and had no setup(I don't care if it's a sequel)....utter nonsense. I'm positive the clowns who praise Tomino, do it out of nostalgia and have no idea what good writing is.

Horse. Puckey. You, sir, are talking out your arse.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Probably best to keep in mind that the show is part of Gundam's 35th anniversary celebration, so most of what you said is more befitting than not. Also, the only AU series that Tomino did was Turn A.

And I'm not even sure Tomino envisionned Turn A as an AU series to begin with TBH, it always felt to me he envisionned Turn A as the very distant future of the UC spoiler[it's even said out loud in the series when they see the "forbidden history" they clearly "It was the era called Universal Century"] but Sunrise decided to retcon it into yet another AU afterward.

And I agree with about the art style, I recognize Yoshida's style but yet it feels closer to Turn-A than to what he did with Eureka 7. The whole series kind has a strong Turn-A vibe, which a strong point to me.

I have no Tomino fetish (I like to pretend the UC ends with Zeta Gundam and V-Gundam was the worst Gundam series ever as far as I'm concerned), but when he returned to Gundam after a long needed break he did a slam dunk with Turn-A, and I feel this might happen again with Reconguista.

-Sergorn[/spoiler]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Tomino getting Tomino'd is a really weird sense of irony Laughing

I enjoyed that, too. I don't really care much about this particular show, but this did read a lot like what Tomino has to say about "anime these days."
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
One other thing I like about G-Reco, as others have mentioned, is that it doesn't follow the usual Gundam path. There have been good series in the last 15 years, but too often have they travelled down the same path as others have. I'm glad to see recent entries break away from formula, but still not losing sight of what makes the franchise great or what it is, as seen with Unicorn, GBF, and (so far) G-Reco. Gundam has been long overdue for some fresh air…

Agreed. That was something that I really enjoyed in Gundam 00's modern retake on Wing and the recent Unicorn, even if it felt somewhat familiar to me it was different enough with plenty of surprises. The same is true here and perhaps even moreso in that we have really no idea what G-Reco's aim is since it's so different. Though in Gundam's case I don't really mind the formula as long as it's done well.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Tomino got owned by Okada, and just goes to show how downhill the Gundam franchise has become. I'm glad I dropped this trainwreck because now even the experts in the industry don't like it.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's a combination of everything great about Tomino in one work. It has a well-built world, is thoughtful and intricate, and has a compelling narrative.

Would you mind explaining those points?
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Tomino got owned by Okada, and just goes to show how downhill the Gundam franchise has become. I'm glad I dropped this trainwreck because now even the experts in the industry don't like it.

Tomino has done almost every job in anime. Wrote, directed, produced, storyboarded, composed scores with decades under his belt. Toshio Okada worked on a few anime projects then built a career pandering to otakus and talking shit about other creators. I guess what for the idiots praising this guy's opinion he thinks 3.0 is a fantastic movie because it has cool robot punches and is like the Star Wars prequels but I'm guessing the only way to make this website call fowl is if he insults Urobuchi or Isayama. Rolling Eyes
As the saying goes "Those that don't do, teach." but in this case "Those who don't do, criticize."
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The Otaking is displeased!

ChocoBar1 wrote:

As the saying goes "Those that don't do, teach." but in this case "Those who don't do, criticize."

Idk without Okada we may have never seen Gainax form the way we did. Seems like he likes to joke around and Tomino's been such a grumpy old man he deserves getting back a little of what he's been dishing out.

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I hate how some people on here try to act superior because people don't share their opinions. Like they're so much smarter because three episodes in they don't know what's going on. And can't accept legit criticisms of a show they like.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am enjoying the animation/acting of the show...but damn the writing is horrible.

It reminds me of how Overman King Gainer got going. Fun was had later on, but little was explained.

I am watching a lot of bad things currently, if I include Sailor Moon Crystal. Anyways, I have faith that there'll be fun to be had in the show once it gets past what was one of the worst world setups ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7