• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I noticed that I said the episodes about 6 back were pretty good, so it's relative. Smile But, yeah, some good enough, quite a few meh, but none truly awful. That I remember.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
941-2 "Find Maria-chan!"

The solution to Shinichi's problem was pretty lame in that it was too easy for him not to think of it immediately.

mild episode spoilers ahead:
The treasure hunt was odd though. It was fun following all the clues and all, but who reset the puzzles after Maria solved them? That didn't become an obvious plot hole until the shadow room really, but after that it was just too in-your-face to overlook.

I think Maria was suffering from oxygen deprivation. Also, how did she get the door open by herself?

Juicy Black Org. scrap tossed out there at the end. Too bad they won't follow up on it for at least another dozen episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
946-7 "The Cursed Tears of Borgia"

That was pretty good. Nothing seemed too outlandish or hidden for too long, except for Conan's clue in the kinoscope. But that was all speculation anyway.

It was kinda funny that the Professor is driving along while Conan rounds up everyone for the reveal, and then asks, "So where are we going?" Wouldn't you ask then when you get into the car? It's not like Conan's the one driving.

Very touching tag on the episode too. :sniff:
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
How far behind am I? I just watched the horse kidnapping episodes... then I looked at the episode list at DCW and got disillusioned again. Between the school trip and future episodes (through Sept. 7) there are 25 new episodes listed (Japan also gets multiple remastered old episodes) and out of those 25- TWO are manga stories. The rest are tv originals. We're entering first series Naruto levels of filler now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
Chin up! You're only 20 episodes behind (and hopefully you've watched something between when you posted and now, so fewer than that)!

952-54 The Unsolved Cocktail Case

This was decent, though I knew who the poisoner was in the first part and why in the second part. If I had a smart phone, I probably would've guessed the how as well. Mostly I was distracted by wondering when someone would ask him how he was checking his phone messages if he was so blind he couldn't see the cocktail glasses without his glasses on. And no one ever did.

I'd almost forgotten the teaser in the first part by the end of the third part. Smile Anyway, some nice background on Amuro. I wonder how many more weeks before we get a follow up on where they left this? That was a pretty big cliffhanger.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
955 The Secret of the Insect Man

Well, that was a weird little episode. Kind of amusing. Very strange children living in that town. I guess they take after their parents though.

I knew they'd leave that cliff hanger hanging.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Chin up! You're only 20 episodes behind (and hopefully you've watched something between when you posted and now, so fewer than that)!

I got up through 941-42
Which I almost commented on but thought I'd skip until I watched the recent 3-parter adaptation episodes (just skipping those in the middle for a rainy day... but I got busy and haven't watched that yet either.
But for a manga episode, 941-42 was a little weak. And that final bit "revealing" the B.O. Big Bad. I looked at the CR Comments and not one person noted it... I don't think the casual watchers even realized what just happened. Not that Crunchyroll watchers would have any idea who Karasuma is... heck, I had to look him up too. Barely mentioned guy thought to be dead and only mentioned in a couple seemingly inconsequential cases. As I mentioned earlier, it really is a non-discovery. They haven't exactly determined who he IS, they discovered who he WAS.

... You wait for years and they reveal it in an epilogue scene to an, essentially, Detective Boys episode??? Although there were other big things going on, it all happened while Ai and the kids are playing a treasure hunt (and technically, all they had to do was walk around and open doors until they found the one that didn't open)

Maybe I'll watch the Cocktail Case tonight.

oh, I did watch the (ugh) Tokyo Barls Collection episode. Just to see if they added Karasuma to the OP. That episode was kinda diverting but definitely not one to remember... well, I guess the "Old Ladies Idol group" was a funny idea, but badly executed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
961 The Glamping Mystery

"Glamping" - worst portmanteau ever.

So that was...different. 100% horrible people involved, all got their due (well, the victim probably a bit more), and it even ended on a somber note in the tag scene. The musical chairs frame-ups were kinda funny though.

Still, this looks more like a hate crime than a simple murder. Wonder if the BPO will complain about them again?

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I may actually be getting in the mood to watch some of my giant backlog of anime original episodes. Finally got around to watching "The Cost of Likes" which has been a mental roadblock for months... a case about social media likes inspiring murder just turned me off... and it was stupid, but at least the "likes" were more of a cover story than the actual motive... although the motive was some really horrible petty crap.

Still, I can start getting through some of these. For some reason I may be looking forward to the above Glamping one. Ya gotta embrace some of these trainwreck scenarios.

So I looked at the episode list and see I eventually have the January manga adaptation case to look forward to... but what are they doing during the Covid 19 crisis? Seems like they could very easily claim a covid 19 break and just leave it sit for a while... but not quite, they're showing a 4 episode "remastered" case... which one? The Wizard of the Ripples.... From 2 1/2 years ago. Wow. Yeah, gotta redo that one. 2017 was ages ago, the technologies have grown in leaps in bounds... gotta change their I-phone 6's to I-phone 10's... despite it being a flashback case in a time when they shouldn't have them at all.
... maybe it's a "de-mastering" in which they realized their mistake and have inserted flip phones in everyone's hands.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm definitely in the right mood now. The Insect Man episode was a goofy blast. The detective kids acting like kids, the village kids wearing their costumes but oddly also doing their best to be responsible goofballs in the absence of their parents. The parents being almost Roald Dahl caricatures in their greed lust and self-interest.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
961 The Glamping Mystery

"Glamping" - worst portmanteau ever.

So that was...different. 100% horrible people involved, all got their due (well, the victim probably a bit more), and it even ended on a somber note in the tag scene. The musical chairs frame-ups were kinda funny though.

Still, this looks more like a hate crime than a simple murder. Wonder if the BPO will complain about them again?

But did you notice?

They never spoiler[explained why he was dressed in drag. When he was killed... he was simply already dressed like that.] Definitely supports the hate crime theory.

other episode reactions.

"Poodle and the Shotgun" - Awesome title, some clumsy AF deductions... and of course- absolute zero explanation why they had been invited to a company birthday party for a dog food marketer/ previous idol. I didn't see anythhing in the website noting the vicim or anyone else had a previous appearance let alone a relationship that would cuse a detective to be the only other person invited to a murder plot. And usually if they know somebody it's because the person is a friendly person that they have come to admire, but the victim was not a very good person really. The poodle was the only likable one in the cast.

Mystery-solving water taxi... one of the kinda neat tragic cases- alsthough very cut-and-paste from previous episodes.... water taxi unnecessary.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
980 An Encouragement of the Perfect Crime

Yep, whenever I go undercover to solicit a crime I always take along a nationally famous detective to back up my cover story! And his ward!

Some questionable police work there, but not a terrible episode I guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
981-2 Welcome to Bocchan Restaurant

That was ok, but I'm getting tired of them repeatedly dropping in major clues during the reveal that we had no way of knowing or guessing. spoiler[Madonna was secretly a pro-wrestler]? Yep, saw that coming a mile away./s Even without that, I still knew who the killer was in the first episode, just not all of how or why.

Still can't get over that they tried to kill the cat, to what, keep it from testifying in court? Staring accusingly at the culprit? oO
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
after catching up, I've hit fatigue again.
Last one I watched was Conan and the "Boys" using their binoculars to spy on the worst police stake-out of all time. Thank goodness the bad guy was wearing hot-pink sneakers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote
985-6 The Two Faces

That wasn't bad, but I couldn't believe how long it took for Conan to connect the dots re spoiler[the toothbrush]. Also, wtf with the ending? "You made the right decision." No they didn't! spoiler[She never told them, Conan just figured it out by her involuntary reaction. She hoped he would die in the trunk and stink up the whole car as he rotted, and she was fully ready to let him.]

The new OP this season makes me realize the ridiculous number of couples this series is nurturing! I knew all of them, I just never added them up before. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8