• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most In Demand English Voice Actresses of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Every year, I have decreased my viewing in dubbed releases to watch the subbed. Maybe I keep hearing Sentai Filmworks licensing the most works and then botches it a little discouraging me from checking it out. The most recent dubbed release I checked out was the Robotic Notes, and I guess it's pretty good.

I do have to say the dubbing production suffers a little bit like the Japanese casting that they tend to overuse the same voice actor little too much. There are plenty of underused talented VO but they keep going for familiar names. And the anime they license are not even the ones I'm into, so it doesn't give me any motivation to check the dubbed anime these days any more.

The last dubbed anime I watched I truly enjoyed was Kuragehime in fact even more than the sub for some reason.

In regards to the list, I'm still amazed that Luci Christian and Monica Rial are still on it. And I would like to agree that their range and skills are amazing. And I guess I do have to check Penguindrum in dubbed.

Another observation I have is that Luci Christian's general range is a bit similar to Miyuki Sawashiro. The variety of characters they play display similar personalities. I always thought that was interesting.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Looking at list of female dub voices quite batch give notice most are texas area anime dubbing place.

Neves - ever since kotomi casting yet fast forward to now really fast rising example got like all range type casting yet now also directing dub indeed next era is here.

Karb - indeed got so many dubs roles yet not in her 30s yet give those batch of dub voices quite youthful dubbing those like rami, alexis, etc batch dub voices are 25yrs age & below indeed under 30s to 25yrs age with below are full charge.

Luci, Rial, & Sheh - quite experience well known give anime works & etc indeed elite veterans of 2000s era dub anime along with others of that era nuff said.

French - give on rise that Sentai really new fresh voices to hear besides texas arsa had been fresh up new voices like example DxD dub put some new voices yet while French yet to do Funi but on Sentai area give on the rise to something to hear.

Overall these female voices & others from this day & beyond they are quite the voices to hear on anime dubs.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Brittney Karbowski is such a disgrace with no respect for the works she plays in. Nearly 10 years in the industry and she still pronounces names like Misaka wrong. How is that even possible in her career? Funimation lets it happen though of course so I have to blame them too. Just one of example of her not-so-great work. Only 3 of these are good actors.

The exact same thing can be said to veteran Japanese VA who mispronounce names/words wrong. Personally, I think she was perfect as Ayu in Kanon.

^^ this. She was beyond perfer as Ayu in Kanon (all the cast were really good in Kanon dub) and her aguuuu sounded infinitely cuter then the Japanese counter part.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Laura Bailey should be on this list.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yugi12 wrote:
Laura Bailey should be on this list.

she's only been in 1 anime this year, DBZ Battle of Gods
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
^ The same can be said about other Kunihiko Ikuhara shows. Hopefully Sailor Moon S and SuperS will have new decent dubs from Viz/Studiopolis, but their old dub from Cloverway/Optimum is one of the few English dubs that I have a hard time listening to, despite some great performances from Emilie Barlow and Stephanie Beard. There's also Revolutionary Girl Utena, which has an English dub I enjoy and think fits the show's surreal tone, but it's technically pretty sub-par at best, despite some truly amazing performances from Rachael Lillis and Crispin Freeman, as well as some other actors. Looks like Penguindrum continued the trend. Razz
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ The same can be said about other Kunihiko Ikuhara shows. Hopefully Sailor Moon S and SuperS will have new decent dubs from Viz/Studiopolis, but their old dub from Cloverway/Optimum is one of the few English dubs that I have a hard time listening to, despite some great performances from Emilie Barlow and Stephanie Beard. There's also Revolutionary Girl Utena, which has an English dub I enjoy and think fits the show's surreal tone, but it's technically pretty sub-par at best, despite some truly amazing performances from Rachael Lillis and Crispin Freeman, as well as some other actors. Looks like Penguindrum continued the trend. Razz
I can excuse Utena because it was made in a time where companies putting out good dubs on a regular basis was practically unheard of. I can also forgive Sailor Moon because the dub is even older and it's a kid's show to boot which presents even more problems and less ways to deal with said problems.

Penguindrum is far from a kid's show and the dub was made over a full decade after Bebop in a time where the people in charge of dubbing anime should well and truly know better. Sure Ikuhara's style presents some very unique challenges if you were to dub it into another language but it's like they didn't even attempt to communicate those little quirks and just blasted through the whole process. Presumably to free up time so they could lazily dub three more otome game adaptations before closing up shop.

God I hope Sentai don't get Yuri Bear.

On the topic of the Viz Sailor Moon dub I was kind of disappointed at first to find out the cast was almost entirely LA dub regulars with no surprises but from the episodes I've seen it's actually really good. As I mentioned earlier on in the thread I'm much more of a fan of Stephanie Sheh's Usagi than I thought I'd be.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Great list, especially numbers 2, 3, and 4. I've only heard Neves a couple times but I liked her Ninth, and Kotomi was my favorite Clannad character. For some reason a lot of the dubs I watched this year had Karbowski in them (B Gata, Cat Planet, Maria Holic, Sora no Otoshimono) and she was great. Sheh is fantastic in all the series I've seen, Luci's voice makes me happy, and Rial is a dub legend. I was ecstatic when she signed my copy of Speed Grapher and now have it displayed on my shelf.

76% people buying is pretty good (like others though I was kind of thrown off cause the top individual percent was non-buyers). For the record I voted 6-9. This week's was tough though. I love my Luxray from D&P, but I also really like the design of Espurr and Meowstic, even though I haven't played those games. I had to go with Luxray in the end though.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite Stephanie Sheh roles was Kirie in Girls Bravo.

As far as Steven Foster is concerned, I felt that the Xam'd dub was actually better than the sub. I even told Monica Rial 4 Thanksgivings ago that I felt her Haru was better than Fumiko Orikasa's.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Monica on the list, I had the pleasure of meeting her at E-ville con last Spring and she was sooo nice! She was super bubbly and super sweet! She's super talented and a super amazing VA too and she remembers a lot of the characters she's played, even if they're not from the most well known anime! She deserves every good thing that comes her way because she is just sooo awesome!!!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Q: What is the key to becoming a successful voice actor?
A: Star in AKB0048!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
....Well this train has well and truly derailed. Confused
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Implying you didn't think it was going to to begin with? Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I apologize if this topic got derailed, but it was to be expected. Whenever you put up an article giving English VAs spotlight, you have to expect it'll get derail.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Implying you didn't think it was going to to begin with? Laughing

Well, that's ANN for ya. If this had happened over on the FUNi forums I would've locked it 4 pages ago. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5