• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Falcoming Home

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

I think we can all idenity art styles like Nomura's, Yasuda's, and Tsunako's. I like that.

We can, but I can tell ya non-anime fans can't - it's just same ol' anime style to them. But y'know what's weird; they can tell those CG apart (and they're probably wondering why you can't).

gloverrandal wrote:

I wonder if Americans just prefer CG. Every new animated movie that comes out is CG and hand drawn animation is extint. Maybe there's an idea that a non realistic game would not be taken as seriously as a realistic looking CG one. Most games seem to want to be taken very seriously these days. I just yern for more diversity.

CG could stand to get more diversity, yes. But so can Japan too - almost everything's 2D anime-ish. If there's no possible 2D anime waifu in it, they don't like it. CG could stand to make less realistic-looking things, while Japan's 2D could stand to make more realistic-looking things. Everything could stand to be more diverse.

gloverrandal wrote:

Atelier Shallie was one of my favorite games last year and I found it really beautiful, but I've never seen an American game with an art style similar to it.

To a lot of realism gamers, those art are also beautiful. People look for beauty in different things. Just like some find beauty in little girls while others find beauty in mature women, realize your sense of beauty is not the only one.

Also remember, being diverse means including art styles that you won't like. If Japan's 2D does styles that don't look anime-ish that you don't like, that's still being diverse. So since more diversity is good, Japan could use more other styles that anime people won't necessarily like. It's part of greater diversity.

(Dare I even say Japan should use more Western styles? After all, if diversity is what they want. But I think anime people don't really mean diversity like that - they just mean another variation of the anime look, simply because anything that doesn't look anime-ish is automatically ugly to them. Diversity of only art styles that I like; that doesn't sound like diversity.)
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
@gloverrandal, I would argue that with realistic art styles the differences are a lot more subtle than with stylized art designs. If you showed me a painting of a person by Michelangelo and a painting of a person by Da Vinci, I probably couldn't tell you who painted which one, but an art historian could probably point out all the differences in brush strokes, shading, color, etc. to me. Think of movies. Two movies filmed with the same actors or at the same location can still look different from each other depending on how the director or cinematographer uses lighting, lens filters, framing, etc. So a realistic art design doesn't necessarily mean the same. And yes, comparing character designs to environmental art is not the same.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Meanwhile the same rhetoric of aesthetics basically only being "Japanese games I like" is pushed which hilariously ignores that aesthetics aren't tied down to one thing and of course an art direction going for realism would of course be all about aesthetics.

I was about to say, realism itself is a type of aesthetic design. Japanese devs do photorealistic styles as well, look at the Resident Evil and Dark Souls games. Dark Souls especially, is a great example of a realistic art style that's still very distinctive.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
...how the things they don't like are inferior and bad.

I completely agree. It's one thing to say you prefer one kind of aesthetic over the other, but it's another thing to say it automatically makes it bad.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I remember when Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze came out a big mark against it was reviewers citing it's difficulty. I personally found the game to be on the easy side myself, but I grew up with old school Nintendo games so that might be why. We're getting to the point where most of these sites are employing young, fresh out of college kids and weren't even alive when the NES was out. Or perhaps even the SNES. What's normal for us would be seen as unfair to them.

Wow, are you serious? I haven't played Tropical Freeze, but what I've seen so far looks no different than the sort of stuff they'd pull in the Super Nintendo era.

Another possibility is that these reviewers may not have played very many platformers. Platformers diminished in popularity in the 6th and 7th generations in the west as you got more people coming in to play shooters, hack-and-slashes, and western RPGs, and we're at the point where people who came in during those waves can be old enough to be professional reviewers. If they're not used to platformers, they can be pretty sensitive to even the slightest bit of challenge.

I grew up on platformers, so I can withstand stuff like Mega Man 10 on its normal difficulty, but because I've played so few shooters, they can get quite overwhelming to me even early on into the games. So I assume the inverse can be true too: People who started gaming with shooters may be highly skilled and demand a lot of challenge, but have them play a platformer and they, too, can get overwhelmed in a hurry.

Shippoyasha wrote:
I honestly am not a fan of that redesign. I like that the sorceress was showing more skin and I think it complemented her body form more than that weird swimsuit looking thing that just doesn't look flattering on her. Sorry if it may be politically incorrect to say nowadays, but I LOVE bikini armor. It's a shame it's so often considered too lewd. I think it's just the perfect level of lewd personally.

Also, it's a shame about Criminal Girls. It just shows some games will not go without that kind of butchery outside Asian nations. I hope Japanese games takes off in Steam and Steam allows for uncensored editions. There's already some Japanese games that are playing loose with uncensor-patches on Steam as is.

I don't mind the concept of bikini armor, but it annoys me because of how impractical it is. It doesn't offer any real protection from attacks, though in video games, it's not as if armor really matters much at all.

gloverrandal wrote:
I wonder if Americans just prefer CG. Every new animated movie that comes out is CG and hand drawn animation is extint. Maybe there's an idea that a non realistic game would not be taken as seriously as a realistic looking CG one. Most games seem to want to be taken very seriously these days. I just yern for more diversity. Are there any games that use sprites or 2D artwork that are not indie games? It doesn't seem like they exist like it does in Japanese games. Atelier Shallie was one of my favorite games last year and I found it really beautiful, but I've never seen an American game with an art style similar to it.

The answer is a quick and direct "yes." 3-D CGI films do better at the American box office than traditionally animated 2-D films. Disney was the only major studio to try 2-D films. The Princess and the Frog was trounced by its rivals (and by its own 3-D output), and Winnie the Pooh outright bombed despite both getting rave reviews. I think it's going to be a long while before 2-D animation comes back to the big screen in a big way, if it ever will. (That being said, stop-motion has made a big comeback after being completely dormant for decades, so who knows?)

For video games, that also holds true. Sprite-based games are seen as low-budget and not the sort of thing a large company would produce. This, I feel, was more orchestrated than in movies, as western publishers for the first PlayStation were told by Sony of America to make all of their games in 3-D, to distance itself from the 16-bit generation games. (This is why you have weird stuff like Mega Man Legends and Castlevania 3-D.) As the system brought in a WHOLE lot of people into video gaming, this means you have a whole lot of people who began with 3-D gaming, which was at the time new and advanced, with 2-D gaming feeling old and dated by comparison. That kind of sentiment seems to have stuck with western gaming since.

As for sprite-based games from major western developers and publishers, I can think of the recent Rayman 2-D platformers, though I think they're actually vector-based. It didn't sell as well as Ubisoft had expected, but Ubisoft has weird expectations anyway. There's also the entirety of WayForward's product except DuckTales Remastered, though I don't know if WayForward can be considered a major game company. I feel like the DS and the 3DS also allow companies of all sizes to get away with sprite-based games, less so on the 3DS because of the 3-D, though I have trouble recalling them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4