• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the fact that we never actually saw the extremists downstairs, we just saw the main characters imagining them as generic Metal Gear Solid baddies.

I'm impressed with how funny the show can be at times and even then, them devoting an entire episode to it was a little surprising.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
This is horror? Sure am glad not to be an horror fan because this would be the biggest disappointment of 2015.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
#7:

A new multi-part arc for this week. As predicted, the 20-mask villain and his copycats are making hay with their revenge acts. Short cameo from the hitherto forgettable HR teacher of Kobayashi and Hashiba to announce mid-term exams.

Kobayashi must REALLY like cross-dressing, he even shows off a new swimsuit for use on the island.

For a family that is well-off and in command of a large conglomerate, how on earth is Hashiba and his forebears be so poor at games of chance?

A bit of 4th wall antics when Akechi processes information about the case. The Black Lizard is weird as ever in her masochistic attraction to the detective.

The decision to portray the minor characters in the island as wooden puppets confused me at the beginning, but it made sense once the scene of the crime was established as a theme park for adults featuring thousands of mannequins.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Hmm, I thought this weeks' episode was weird tbh. It had some humor (I guess?), some mystery, some thriller feeling, and a lot of things happening at once. Not a fan of the mannequin gimmick or whatever it was trying to do.

I do want to know more about Akeichi though. The guy is hard to read at times and he may be more than he is letting on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

The only think I really took from the episode was perhaps how Akechi's mind works. I believe that especially the people being shown as wooden puppets is part of his perception, and there was point to seeing the cast in talking when not there. Perhaps it his deal that he processes the situation by these kind of abstract appearances of people he knows commenting on the situation in his head, and perhaps quietening those voices is his reliance on things like those pills and coffee. Those strange kind of out of place coroner reports might really be how he processes such details.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7
Those strange kind of out of place coroner reports might really be how he processes such details.

If shadows are how Kobayashi perceives people not of interest, then they both have a common disorder in imagining the coroner for the way she is portrayed in this series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7
Those strange kind of out of place coroner reports might really be how he processes such details.

If shadows are how Kobayashi perceives people not of interest, then they both have a common disorder in imagining the coroner for the way she is portrayed in this series.

I think there may be a coroner for reference, but in this situation an autopsy had not yet been performed, the bodies were still at the scene of the crime. That he absorbs people to build how he understands a situation, perhaps the autopsies are always just in the mind, or because he deals with such a coroner it is how he personally sees the information.

I did not take the crazy autopsies to just be how Kobayashi sees it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think there may be a coroner for reference, but in this situation an autopsy had not yet been performed, the bodies were still at the scene of the crime. That he absorbs people to build how he understands a situation, perhaps the autopsies are always just in the mind, or because he deals with such a coroner it is how he personally sees the information.

I did not take the crazy autopsies to just be how Kobayashi sees it.

I personally prefer the argument that the coroner in this series REALLY is like that and Kobayashi and Akechi merely replicate the coroner's antics in their heads when processing information.

The show so far only shows how Kobayashi and Akechi (who would not be described as normal) think. I wonder if we would see a similar situation if it was Hashiba or Kagami's ex-partner.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if we're ever going to see the medical examiner outside of the 3 minute shocking segments. I find her inclusion in the opening sort of interesting for a character who seems to have such limited interactions with the cast and it has been giving me the impression she's going to be more important than that, somehow. I don't recall seeing their goofy teacher (who seems to now only have one good eye, thanks to her window-leaping antics?) in the intro.

I'm actually really excited that Kobayashi's cross-dressing was not a one-episode thing. I was worried that it was sort of a throw-away gag and not an actual piece of character development.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
#8:

Well that was unexpected. I thought I was going to watch an episode where the mystery from part 1 was dissected and solved at the end; what I got was a very quick solution with lots of breaking the 4th wall dialogue and a second half of the show revealing the true identity of the 20-mask phenomenon.

As implausible as it might sound regarding the true identity of the serial killer, Akechi's job looks like it will never end since he's up against something with no physical form and permanently switched on infinity production mode. Then again, Akechi is like Kobayashi on steroids with the need to find something compelling before life starts to fill with colour. Even if he claims he's doing it to satisfy his ego, it's not something any normal person would contemplate on doing without a more personal motive.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see how the ED is pretty much a reflection of the dialogue this episode. Kobayashi falling, and holding him, then replaced by Akechi holding the fallen Twenty-faces. It just keeps growing on me as the best ED of this season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Imo, definitely one of the better episodes. I honestly wasn't interested in the case involving that woman and the mannequins. However, Akechi 's background story is what caught my attention especially the chaos theory stuff and his friend. It had an experimental feeling to it with a bit of symbolism.

This also expanded more bit of the main story and I like how Akechi explained and showed his reasons to take down the Twenty Faces. Quite interesting honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I feel that there may be a bit of irony in terms of motives. He said that the answer may be to not let someone die in the first place, but that kind of feels like exactly what this Twenty Faces is, which is targeting repeat offenders who would get someone killed.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I feel that there may be a bit of irony in terms of motives. He said that the answer may be to not let someone die in the first place, but that kind of feels like exactly what this Twenty Faces is, which is targeting repeat offenders who would get someone killed.

I think one of the really important bits of dialogue in the episode is where Chiyoko comments that her friend who died was always frail and that the overwork had the expected results of eating away at her health. While this illustrates how callous the employers were in ignoring the well-being of their employees, it also casts a pretty negative light on Chiyoko who knew, better than anyone, the direction things were going but waited until her friend was already dead before standing up for her.

The two Twenty Faces we've actually had details on are both people who first failed to protect before they became an agent of vengeance. Yeah, the mannequins stopped the evil masterminds of the island, but that could have happened a long time ago if it weren't for an entire islands worth of workers looking the other way, tolerating their treatment, making excuses for them, and so on. The opportunity for vengeance only exists because it was allowed to happen.

I think this is also another layer behind the comment Kobayashi makes about how she wanted to show that the mannequins were ugly. They aren't just ugly because of the raw aesthetics or the abusive manner in which they came to be, but because they are images of an ugly person. And she has to be caught, because for her vengeance to be complete she must include herself.

This is my read of the situation, anyway.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Hmm, I wasn't a big fan of the case this week. There was a good degree of symbolism floating around. However, what did catch my attention is the near end with the appearance of Namikoshi. Seems like they are familiar with each other and this sets up for the penultimate and final episode.

Curious to see how Akechi can stand up against the ringleader of the Twenty Faces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5