• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
The Riding Shotgun comic is pretty good...but that little animation based on it is moronic. I'd love to see more of the story since the second volume ends on a cliffhanger, but not if it's like this.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/chuck-austens-advice-to-tokyopop-creators-move-on wrote:
When Tokyopop did eventually fail I tried to get my rights back so I could release it POD and digital, but Stu wouldn’t give them up for any amount of money. The best he would offer was to sell a film option to a production company that I would have to bring to him, and even then he wanted an exorbitant fee, and consideration as director of the project.

Ha ha ha. Oh wow.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
haha wow, those videos on their YouTube page are garbage.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop is trying a comeback?

Remind me again, why did they go bankrupt in the first place, are the same people still in charge, and why wouldn't the same thing happen again?

Yeah, thought as much.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Bleh.

Tokyopop can stay dead. Their business decisions and Stu Levy's comment right after the closure were terrible.

Sounds like they wont be able to work with larger publishers, either, and small/indie titles probably cant keep them afloat.

And Levy is STILL chasing this film/TV dream?
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Welcome back, Tokyopop! Very Happy
HanaBana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Again with the tv crap no one cares about. Why make such grandiose plans for side projects when you don't even have licences for your main business? If they start by continuing old series they left hanging like Silver Diamond or Immortal Rain then I'll help them get started in a jiffy but like hell am I buying anything new they bring over.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there are people who are excited about this, because after hearing that Stu "delusions of grandeur" Levy completely screwed over several of the artists who worked on their OEL stuff and is bent on continuing it with this relaunch, I won't pay a cent. They've got nothing to license unless they go for really obscure stuff, and I bet they'll try to put their "hip" spins on the translation again, leave SFX untranslated and make the quality bad overall. I still won't forgive them for their "whiteout and Sharpies" statement on Initial D and now that I've heard their contracts contain statements that are almost as immature and that they've caused trouble for folks, I'm not the only one disappointed in them.

Oh, and let's not forget that awful Van Von Hunter anime and the Priest movie which bombed hard in the box office.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
For the most part, Tokypop was fine for years. They weren't without their problems, but they generally did as well as any of the other publishers. However, they suddenly pulled the plug on the whole operation, which of course meant that all of their series were dropped.

Well, they were one of the first publishers to go in for light novel publishing, and when that didn't work out as well as they expected, they abandoned tons of series with only two or three volumes published (and that was well before they went out of business).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I would love to own some series Tokyopop Germany has under their belt.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Paragonias wrote:
Wow, seems like the American Tokyopop really sucked. I didn't think it was this bad... holy *****.

TokyoPop USA began as "Mixxzine" which was an anthology manga that caught fire because they lucked into the Sailor Moon manga license (other titles were good, but the Sailor Moon was the bread & butter). They went on to split the magazine taking the "girl" titles into another magazine and shoving a bunch of "interest" articles about fashion and makeup and boys etc. into it hoping to take over the magazine world. Needless to say, the concept bombed and ticked a lot of people off. (while Sailor Moon was running, the magazine DID continue to sell)

Mixx then decided to rebrand itself as TokyoPop. They led the charge on the unflipped, collected volume movement (most publishers at the time were trying to sell US style 30 pg "comics") and really built a solid base of customers and were becoming the "go-to" manga publisher in the US. They decided the best way to leverage that was to:
-Start publishing butchered anime (Initial D with renamed characters and rescored music), everyone hated their efforts and derided their thinking
-Start the "Rising Stars of Manga" initiative. (a plan that said "hey, every kid that dreams of being a mangaka, give us your ideas including all rights in perpetuity, we'll publish some of them no matter how terrible if we think we can market it but we own it") Needless to say, there were people that went for it, very few of whom were customers, but it led to a WHOLE lot of online arguments
-(my personal favorite) Stu decided "reality TV" was the biggest thing since sliced bread and decided to break into Hollywood by making "America's Greatest Otaku", this went EXACTLY as you would think based on the above

There's other things too, but these were some of the big failures that were both financial burdens AND public humiliations for the company. When Borders closed, a bunch of product went back and the assumption is (was) that if TokyoPop wasn't funding Stu's ridiculous superstar dreams, then it may as well close shop, so "poof".
NieR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
It seems like a manga series that maybe Yen Press, Kodansha, or maybe even Viz would get, but since that didn't happen I'd want to see Tokyopop release Mysterious Girlfriend X.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe they will finish Maid War Chronicle
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
idioteva wrote:
I don't trust Tokyopop with my money again and I feel sorry for any properties they do pick up.

Agreed full stop.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
"Why can't he just stay dead?" - Joker (Batman: The Animated Series)

That's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this article.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Nier wrote:
It seems like a manga series that maybe Yen Press, Kodansha, or maybe even Viz would get, but since that didn't happen I'd want to see Tokyopop release Mysterious Girlfriend X.

dont discount it yet it may still get picked up by a good publisher it needn't be thrown to the likes of tokyopop just yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8