• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Announces New Gundam Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Obviously this will be Imagawa finally returning to the franchise to give us GG Gundam!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we could have a female lead in a Gundam series for once, right? RIGHT?! Anime cry
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Maybe we could have a female lead in a Gundam series for once, right? RIGHT?! Anime cry

Haha, hah, ha....no. We've had female leads in robot anime since at least Iczer 1 in 85, and followed up by Dangaioh, Bubblegum Crisis, Gunbuster and most notably with Patlabor, but no, 30 years later still isn't soon enough.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Haha, hah, ha....no. We've had female leads in robot anime since at least Iczer 1 in 85, and followed up by Dangaioh, Bubblegum Crisis, Gunbuster and most notably with Patlabor, but no, 30 years later still isn't soon enough.

We haven't had that many female leads in Gundam series now have we?

Anyways, despite what many seems to believe most Gundam series are primarily targeted towards children and or teenager so I wouldn't get you hope up for this being a more mature series. Though from the blue and red color palette on the promo art, to the name G-Tekketsu ("Tekketsu" meaning "Iron and Blood"), and the bulkier proportions on the lead mobile suit, one could speculate this may be going for different than my past few iterations. Thought this all completely speculative.

I know I am minority when I say I enjoyed the past few Gundam series, I hope this iterations is different. Not a bad different but a good different. Trying something new.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Female mech show leads aren´t the norm but they do exist and even good old stuck in the past Sunrise had a female lead in a robot show last year. It was hell.
What does it say about a show if Yamoto Christ No.2 is the the best thing about it?

A female Gundam lead would be a nice sign of growth but Bamco´s corporate structure would need to change and the same goes for the toy market to a degree too. Good female characters in Gundam aren´t the norm so let´s maybe start there first as Sunrise has a bad track record with women. Loran was supposed to be a woman btw. War in the Pocket had a female Gundam Pilot but she wasn´t a protagonist. The 2 Gundam manga with a female lead i can think of are Mobile Suit Gundam École du Ciel (meh) and Developers - Mobile Suit Gundam: Before the One Year War (it´s alright and she isn't a love interest but a bit of a fan service character). That is 2 out of 200?

ZZ was a nightmare and one of the worst sequels of all time. No "comedy" or kidZ Gundam please (the 2 new ones about the toy models are ok kids show btw.) and 00´s second season was about as good as the first to address 2 brought up points. Aliens are also taboo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
People only hate "Build Fighters" because it was different. Just remember that "Seed" and "Age" followed a more action formula and those shows still sucked.

Talk about you?
I despise -hate is too strong a word for an anime series- Build Fighters because it took Gundam and turn it into a real toy advertising show. No drama, no story , simply shining toys for you kids! Tell your parents to buy the new one! We all can be winners!

Also in 00 I started rooting for the antagonist forces (Union, AEU...) because MC were overpowered killing machines in state-of-art against normal human beings -mostly- in regular machines. What's to love there?
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
-People still saying Tomino apologized for G-Reco
What would you call it?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
People only hate "Build Fighters" because it was different. Just remember that "Seed" and "Age" followed a more action formula and those shows still sucked.

Talk about you?
I despise -hate is too strong a word for an anime series- Build Fighters because it took Gundam and turn it into a real toy advertising show. No drama, no story , simply shining toys for you kids! Tell your parents to buy the new one! We all can be winners!

Also in 00 I started rooting for the antagonist forces (Union, AEU...) because MC were overpowered killing machines in state-of-art against normal human beings -mostly- in regular machines. What's to love there?

Yeah, because "Gundam" was never a toy commercial. Hell, at least "Build Fighters" is honest about it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
What would you call it?

People using Yaraon without double checking sources. They don't have the nicest reputation of being accurate.

http://pastebin.com/N4LhzhFY
Start at Line 182. Contains spoilers obviously.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

I would think being enormously outnumbered helped compensate.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
What would you call it?

People using Yaraon without double checking sources. They don't have the nicest reputation of being accurate.

http://pastebin.com/N4LhzhFY
Start at Line 182. Contains spoilers obviously.
"Gundam: The Reconguista of G, which ended in March, continues to draw controversy even months after its conclusion."

So I take it Japanese reception hasn't been so hot?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

It's more or less people reviewing the show don't like how it turned out.

The models are doing great (according to Fukui) as well as some secondhand sources like Bluefin's Derringer. It did great with TV ratings too, considering the timeslot iirc.
MattB1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Just maybe, the Gundam franchise as a whole needs to be retired. Or at least given a long rest.

The series keeps plowing over the same themes again and again, regardless of setting or universe. The original series was all about the tragedy and brutality of war. Today, it's just about selling model kits with any story just tacked on as an afterthought.

In short, Gundam is in the same boat as Star Trek.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
None mentioned that Mr. Kill em All actually apologized for G-Reco and ANN even reported on it so i will.

See you for the announcement and i just flipped a coin to see if i should be positive about all of this or not. It said yes so i will be. Why a coin? Because there is not logic in Gundam and i wonder if i am the only one who would love to bring SEED (it won the Anime Grand Prix 3 times and so did Code Trainwreck Rolling Eyes ) back for one last movie to see Jesus fight space whales.
This franchise... I can´t quit it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:

It's more or less people reviewing the show don't like how it turned out.

The models are doing great (according to Fukui) as well as some secondhand sources like Bluefin's Derringer. It did great with TV ratings too, considering the timeslot iirc.
Tomino saying "oh but it was INTENDED to be hard to follow" still kind of reeks of damage control. It's kind of like an indirect apology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5