• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsune_the_Demonz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
That is one scary episode. I guess everything about Nagisa makes sense. But it's still wrong to be bullied and drugged by you're own mother.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, how I HATE Nagisa's mom so much. The bitch. Evil or Very Mad

What he needs to do is tell her to go f*ck herself. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Quote:
...what happens when someone discovers a talent that's uniquely suited to working as an assassin? Admittedly, this episode dodges the question a bit by having Nagisa resolve to find a different outlet for his skills. Nevertheless, I appreciate how Assassination Classroom is at least willing to point out the moral ambiguity of its premise.

I too appreciated that, but I didn't see his solution to apply his skills to different ends besides assassination to be dodging the question. That is the answer to the question, or one valid possibility at least. Sensei's questions were the more important ones: to what end and for whom would you be acting? The students, Nagisa included, are acting to save the world and the people in it from destruction. That's not a morally ambiguous goal. If/when that hurdle is cleared, then there are other careers that could utilize Nagisa's skills that don't require killing people, or at least not in cold blood. Sensei's questions not only helped Nagisa to find that answer, but gets to the heart of the premise as well.

I was really disappointed in the deus ex assassin at the school though. I was hoping Nagisa could use his skills to disarm his mother, not some random guy who conveniently shows up to be randomly threatening. It would have been the same resolution if he had stood up to her to protect what he holds dear, rather than to protect her (which of course he also holds dear, but since she was the original source of the immediate danger, she doesn't count). It just seemed so contrived the way they did it, when the only two things that mattered were Nagisa defying her at all and Sensei's speech to her.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 review: Nagisa is pretty well covered and it was a Nagisa episode, but not a word about Karma or Rio? Karma is arguably more talented than any of the rest of class E but does his idea of being a bureaucratic puppet-master really make sense and even if it does how did he arrive at that? Also interesting that Rio was a prodigy but does that have anything to do with her wanting to be diplomat?

Speaking of Rio, why is it that three shots of her just sitting in a chair seems like more fan service than any random 10 panty shots from To Love Ru? And she has a naughty side to her.

And I have to agree that Irina in a demure outfit (label and all) is better than Irina popping her buttons. Middle-school boys don't typically appreciate that.
jtron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
My mom never drugged me AFAIK but the rest of Nagisa's relationship with his mother was way too familiar. Being able to mask your presence and read people's emotional states are "super powers" you basically have to evolve to survive in a situation like that.
vassilis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I think an A- is more appropriate.This episode is one of the strongest episode of season 2 and propably of the series.Throughout the excessive character of Nagisa's mother,you can see the emotional depth of the him.Although the animation was a bit mediocre ,from the respective of emotion this episode manage to make you feel so close and instantly so far from the characters.You think you can understand them but you are not sure until the very last minute of the last very last episode.This sensation represents the perfect balance between these characters and us,the viewers.So that's why I question your B-.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
vassilis wrote:
I think an A- is more appropriate.This episode is one of the strongest episode of season 2 and propably of the series.Throughout the excessive character of Nagisa's mother,you can see the emotional depth of the him.Although the animation was a bit mediocre ,from the respective of emotion this episode manage to make you feel so close and instantly so far from the characters.You think you can understand them but you are not sure until the very last minute of the last very last episode.This sensation represents the perfect balance between these characters and us,the viewers.So that's why I question your B-.

I have to agree here - Nagisa's consideration of assassination as a career mixed with the background to what makes him so perceptive was really worth more than B-.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
The Shokugeki reference was funny enough, but this moment really killed me:

JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
I recognize Bobobo, Kuroko and Saiki - but who's the girl?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ep 10 Review wrote:
The narrative of Class E being full of the school's weakest students isn't as widely believed as it once was, and the principal is far from pleased with the situation.

Unless I missed something I didn't read it that way. Dear Old Dad doesn't show up until the last seconds of the episode, doesn't say anything, and looks mostly just menacing and smug for about 3 seconds. Not snarling through clenched teeth.

I would say the situation affirms his educational Darwinisim approach to things. Class E is self-selecting itself by succeeding. If he thinks that he wouldn't be displeased although he might have plans.

I want a spin-off series with just Karma, Rio, and Nagisa.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Perhaps, there is something that I missed or that happened behind the scenes, but I founds it odd how everyone was saying how Nagisa's mother had apologized and how Nagisa himself was suddenly seemingly cool with his mother. First off, I don't remember his mother apologizing, strictly speaking, in front of the class. She just says how she wants to be a part of his life. That does not remotely require to "I'm sorry, and I promise to change my ways and do whatever it takes to repair the damage I have done." Just saying that she wants to be a party of his life without this proper apology feels somehow emotionally manipulative. I don't know how she gets a free pass doing this.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Unless I missed something I didn't read it that way. Dear Old Dad doesn't show up until the last seconds of the episode, doesn't say anything, and looks mostly just menacing and smug for about 3 seconds. Not snarling through clenched teeth.

I would say the situation affirms his educational Darwinisim approach to things. Class E is self-selecting itself by succeeding. If he thinks that he wouldn't be displeased although he might have plans.

I want a spin-off series with just Karma, Rio, and Nagisa.

When Asano's not smiling, it means things have gone wrong.

That's about as much as he reacts facially until spoiler[Class E dominates the finals, and Asano finally snaps.]
vassilis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Β??? You only give B and we know that it deserves more!! That was an amazing episode.What more do you want?Please,someone change this reviewer! That has become ridiculous....
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sometimes unclear on what I'm supposed to laugh at in this series. Case in point: Gakuho using his ill-defined powers to transform the denizens of the A Class into E-hating zombies. This was over the top to the point of being comedic, but I got the impression that the audience was supposed to take it seriously.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Whenever they were chanting, "Kill the E Class, Kill the E Class," I kept hearing this in my head. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10