• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Anime's English Dub to Premiere on US TV Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Is this the channel ImaginAsian TV evolved into?
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Dubbed idol anime... Just doesn't seem right at all.

And it's quite amusing that NISA, by official statement, wants to retain the authenticity of the series by keeping the songs in Japanese. Hearing someone speak English and then break out in Japanese singing doesn't exactly feel authentic Laughing.

There are already people who are actually disgusted that a dub exists for this anime regardless of the fact that its completely optional and they'll never, ever have to watch it if they don't want to. If NISA were to dub the songs they'd get sent death threats on twitter and other sites for daring to desecrate Japan with their awful, sick deed!

In all seriousness its really how most anime is done and been doing for years and years. It's easy to just dub normal talking but when it comes to singing its far, far more harder and most companies don't even attempt to, don't blame them either as plenty of dub fans, myself included only really care about the talking parts being dubbed and the singing left as is. Creating a dub doesn't take away any of the authenticity of an anime to me unless they all go 4 kids and Hanayo has a Donut obsession rather then a Riceball one haha. Though NISA has a great track record of dubs imo and the Toradora/A Lull in the Sea dubs were fantastic.

I managed to catch a few minutes of the Ep 1 broadcast and I loved it, Umi's voice is perfect, Nico sounds great and Honoka's VA sounds really cute too since she seems to be a relatively new talent. Christine Cabanos is Honoka's sister and I fangirled when I heard her as she's my favorite VA <3 Glad she has a role afterwards!

Can't wait till my Blurays arrive Anime smile
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Is this the channel ImaginAsian TV evolved into?

Yes, yes, it is.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish I could see it. I liked this show way more than I thought I would have.

DuchessBianca wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone has played it but Vee actually voices Monaca in Danganronpa Another Episode. I was stunned when I saw that was her as I thought it sounded almost identical at times to Christine Cabanos so I think she's definately capable of pulling off the cutesy voice as she did a great job in that game Anime smile

Monaca? Cute?

What game were YOU playing? Laughing
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
Monaca? Cute?

To be fair she is voicing a little girl so her voice is cutesy, the rest though? Well that's spoilers Razz haha
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
GeneStriker wrote:
Monaca? Cute?

To be fair she is voicing a little girl so her voice is cutesy, the rest though? Well that's spoilers Razz haha

Yeah, I gotcha. I just couldn't resist.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
Dubbed idol anime... Just doesn't seem right at all.

And it's quite amusing that NISA, by official statement, wants to retain the authenticity of the series by keeping the songs in Japanese. Hearing someone speak English and then break out in Japanese singing doesn't exactly feel authentic Laughing.

There are already people who are actually disgusted that a dub exists for this anime regardless of the fact that its completely optional and they'll never, ever have to watch it if they don't want to. If NISA were to dub the songs they'd get sent death threats on twitter and other sites for daring to desecrate Japan with their awful, sick deed!

Honestly, as much as I would've loved to see them try, it's probably too impractical to dub the music.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Honestly, as much as I would've loved to see them try, it's probably too impractical to dub the music.

...or perhaps NISA wanted to try dubbing the songs, but potential licensing issues and high licensing fees for each song within the show discouraged them from doing it.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
I wanna watch the first episode dubbed. Maybe NIS can put it on their youtube channel for those who dont get the channel or have cable. However I will be sticking to subs for this series since I already have watched it subbed a couple times and own both the first season and movie subbed. Just way too use to the voices now to make a full on switch. Might buy the standard version in the future though since it does have a uniform BD case.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
I would really love to watch this dub. AWESOME SAUCE has been quiet the meme already.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

...or perhaps NISA wanted to try dubbing the songs, but potential licensing issues and high licensing fees for each song within the show discouraged them from doing it.

I think it's a similar case to AKB0048. The shows are giant advertisements meant to sell merchandise and music. The rights-holders may understand that dubbing the show makes it more accessible, but since they won't be selling the music in English anyway, dubbing the songs would be counterproductive.

I hope TRSI can get some product in early and start shipping them...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

....which makes it impractical.
Hongqilim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Arrow

Last edited by Hongqilim on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 am; edited 4 times in total
BakuformerAnime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Freyanne wrote:
Please don't tell me they will do this for the future episodes. Sad

Probably.

And yes, while Love Live might get better viewership on another network, it wouldn't have an audience. The only thing that makes this not fit on MNet is that it's a Japanese cartoon.

LOL, like Disney Channel? They did air it on their Japanese Counterpart. Maybe it can do it on our Disney Channel after those lame Sitcoms.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
I wanna watch the first episode dubbed. Maybe NIS can put it on their youtube channel for those who dont get the channel or have cable. However I will be sticking to subs for this series since I already have watched it subbed a couple times and own both the first season and movie subbed. Just way too use to the voices now to make a full on switch. Might buy the standard version in the future though since it does have a uniform BD case.

This is pretty much the boat I am in. I'd like to hear the dub though, see how it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6