• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
This will blow up in their face. Streaming services are already stretched thin to begin with, and now they think are gonna 99 dollars for another one? If it's good, most people are just gonna stream it or download it from the usual place.

This is not going to blow up in their face. Their Prime subscription makes it's money via Amazon tv streaming and the deals you get shopping on Amazon itself. This is just a nice little bonus to make some money. Even if nobody extra signs up specifically to watch just these shows Amazon will be perfectly fine with what they have already.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if one can watch Amazon Prime outside of the US? I'm living in Sweden right now and they don't have their own Amazon.
Find it weird all these companies that get "worldwide" rights and then just release in 2 or 3 countries
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Yes, and it's your "privilege" to not watch noitaminA shows. Fuji don't owe you a goddamn thing and if Amazon offer them money (and I'm willing to bet Amazon are paying a heck of a lot more than Funimation or Crunchyroll would), why shouldn't they take it?

As much as this is disappointing for fans, I certainly don't blame Fuji for taking the deal or Amazon for pursuing it.

I DEFINITELY don't blame Amazon for pursuing it, they don't have anything left.
Amazon's used all their Transparent Emmys to sell "Original programming" as their draw, but that's to hide the fact that studios have become too greedy for digital-VOD streaming and now bypass their movies from subscription services almost entirely. There's still a struggling handful of "real" content, and a rather odd exclusive-deal to show Viacom's Nick/MTV/Comedy shows (for those who still watch MTV or Comedy Central), but otherwise....Prime's starting to look a bit like Viewster. Shocked

And if Viewster, and Netflix, could jump onto Crunchyroll's anime-streaming market for a core audience...
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I have:
Prime
crunchyroll
hulu plus without ads
netflix
funimation
anime network
and
sling tv

don't need more
don't have cable tv because i thought I would save money i guess not.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Being "outraged" by this is tantamount to being "outraged" that any subscription-based streaming service other than your favorite gets a show you might have liked. It's a very straightforward business practice - Amazon thinks it has a chance to make a bigger splash in the anime streaming space than others, made a deal with a provider of that content, and became the distributor of the streaming of that content.

You're allowed to understand the business reasoning behind it but still think this is shit for the end user. I certainly do. Amazon isn't paying for these shows to exist like their other originals. If they weren't involved, these shows would've just been streamed by services an anime fan is more likely to already use. Those other services probably wouldn't limit their reach to just six countries either.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:

So I was getting excited for the "Scum's wish" adaptation to only learn (2 minutes later) that Noitamina series will be only streamed at a service that is only available for North America.

Aside from the US, it is also available in the UK, Germany, Austria, Japan, and soon in India.

The real question is whether they intend on doing anything with the remainder of those "worldwide rights" in the near term.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Not available here.

And even if it were, I'd still not pay $99 to support the streaming of only a few shows, of what is essentially the broadcast version.
(I'd watch them as I always have, like the shows CR has and to which I have subscription; downloaded).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

The real question is whether they intend on doing anything with the remainder of those "worldwide rights" in the near term.

Honestly? Kind of doubt it. Viz doesn't and this is pretty much a similar case. Viz uses Hulu since they shuttered the old Neon Alley which isn't available everywhere.

Whatever Amazon does probably won't be as bad as what Viz did; Outright lying, as they're at least upfront about the regions.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Amazon is getting paid and for those that have access and can afford it, I guess this is good for them. I however as someone who lives on a really tight fixed income just don't have the money for it so this is something that I will have to regretfully pass on this.

I'd also be interested in knowing how Amazon is going to stop potential piracy as well. I could get angry but that would just make me the kind of "entitled Anime fan" I hate so much. Oh well, I still have Hulu and Crunchyroll in my region still it's bad for those that are region locked.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I've had Amazon Prime for over four years, but I can count on one hand the times I have used their video/streaming service. It got to a point where they actually sent me a letter in the mail in order to get me to use it more often. xD

But yeah, I kinda feel like they are trying to enter the anime streaming thing too late. I really doubt people are going to pay $99 dollars to watch anime on Amazon when they can go to Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll for around $10 or less.

(Unless Amazon has it now to where tou can just get the streaming/video parts without having to sign up for Prime.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Have you considered getting something like a Roku? Effectively it turns the various subscriptions into channels (though their GUI is a little different between each channel). You don't have to worry about whether it will work with the operating system. Roku has all the streaming services, so you don't have to worry about availability. Plus you can watch it all on the TV. I don't know if you have access to an HDMI TV though.

Yes, watching streaming on computer pretty well went out with the 00's--
The "cord-cutting" of most streaming channels was designed for living-room set-top boxes like Roku, AppleTV, SmartTV's (if yours still supports Netflix, Amazon or Hulu), or Playstation and X-Box game consoles.

I still go with a PS3 game console because a game unit is designed to stream more Internet information more quickly--and because I can full-download 3D movies from Vudu--but Amazon should be common enough on any of the box brands, and HDMI has been on any new flatscreen TV since they went mainstream eight years ago.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Kind of surprised no one has brought up what impact this will have on the Home Video market for these shows going forward. I'm a little frustrated, to be honest. It might get a physical release, in fact, it probably will, but this just complicates that market even more.
Amazon and Netflix don't have convention panels, and they don't really have social media dedicated to the anime medium either, so keeping up to date with them and their involvement in the anime market is generally not super easy.

I have Amazon Prime because I buy a lot of anime(and other things) on Amazon, but I have never once used their streaming platform. This doesn't really effect me negatively on that front, but I'm still annoyed by how ridiculously crowded the streaming market has gotten. I honestly just think this is going to lead a lot of fans to pirate these shows. Not a lot of people are going to pick up a subscription for Amazon Prime for anime, not until they literally have half of each season, at least. Only people who already use it for shopping or watching other media are going to make use of this.

Freyanne wrote:

But yeah, I kinda feel like they are trying to enter the anime streaming thing too late. I really doubt people are going to pay $99 dollars to watch anime on Amazon when they can go to Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll for around $10 or less.

Like a lot of people you are comparing a yearly subscription with monthly ones. All in all, the prices are fairly comparable, with Hulu++ being the most expensive one.

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It also depends if this is just barely advertised for fans or if they do more traditional advertising, which is highly unlikely. You won't see ads for Iron Fortress on NYC buses, for instance the way Bosch or Man in the High Castle did.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It also depends if this is just barely advertised for fans or if they do more traditional advertising, which is highly unlikely. You won't see ads for Iron Fortress on NYC buses, for instance the way Bosch or Man in the High Castle did.

Though it would be insanely cool if they did. And I could easily see this being a successful show in the mainstream market too, based on everything I've seen so far.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
chito895 wrote:

So I was getting excited for the "Scum's wish" adaptation to only learn (2 minutes later) that Noitamina series will be only streamed at a service that is only available for North America.

Aside from the US, it is also available in the UK, Germany, Austria, Japan, and soon in India.

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I should've phrases it differently. But anyway, selected regions still pisses me off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7