• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I am Not a fan of the reviews section! I most come to the site for the news. I do no use a ad blocker also I do not mind the ads on the site. Should the site go to a pay only option I would have to find a new news site.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there was no mention of NHK world news on the survey. It's on comcast and I watch it all the time to get cultural info on japan. Sometimes they even feature stories on anime and manga.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Believe it or not, a few of your ANN readers are retired. One of those survey questions needs that answer as a choice (versus no answer or something selected as unreal, unsolicited, imaginative but inflammatory).

Otherwise, keep up the good work, Guys, Gals, and/or Non-Gender Specific Human Beings, bots, imaginary friends, aliens, who(m) and/or whatever.....-_^
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope, ANN content focused to Japanese pop culture related content, especially anime, manga, video games, voice acting, figures, light novel, doujinshi, and visual novel.

If there's sudden appearance of random content (such as Japanese tech, fashion, or K-POP!

oh yeah!
Please, bring back House of 1001 Manga!!!!!
We need to discover random manga!!!
quercusv

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
The #1 reason that I do not use the comments/forum is because I can't see them directly below the article. I would contribute to the site much more often and visit much more often if I could see the comments directly below articles instead of links to the forums.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I want to keep the discussions about the articles in the Talkback forum because my ANN bookmark takes me directly to the forums, and I spend most of my time there with some trips to the encyclopedia.
I almost never read an article until there is a thread for it in the forum. Then I go to the article with the link at the top of the thread.

That may be backwards from the way that most people do it but it is how I have always used ANN. That is probably because the forums are the reason why I originally started visiting here.

If you change things and put the discussions with the articles I am sure that I can adapt, but I really do like things the way that they are now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
I don't really mind having the article threads in either location, the only downside to it being under the article though, in my opinion, is that it might lead to a lot more of a generic internet comment section... i.e. lots of pointless comments and trolling. There is a little more of a community feel to it as it is and people generally don't comment randomly, since taking the effort to actually come to the forum probably means you have something worthwhile to add to the discussion. Anyway, either way is probably fine.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
^
Agreed; I, too, prefer that the comments stay in Talkback, as that cuts down the chances of being overwhelmed with spam.
lys

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
I prefer keeping the comments in the forum too (that way I can browse for threads that have new comments, rather than having to check each individual article multiple times to keep up. I don't really want to sign up for email alerts for every single article I have passing interest in). But I have seen at least one site where the comments are displayed under an article, and can be browsed from the forum (the same comments showing up both ways). So I have no idea how one does such a thing but I guess it's possible?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I almost never read an article until there is a thread for it in the forum. Then I go to the article with the link at the top of the thread.

That may be backwards from the way that most people do it but it is how I have always used ANN. That is probably because the forums are the reason why I originally started visiting here.

I use the same approach as Touma and would prefer keeping the comments in Talkback. I would also prefer that announcements about surveys like the OP from Tempest include a link to the surveys themselves. I had to hunt around the front page for a while until I found this year's survey.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I would also prefer that announcements about surveys like the OP from Tempest include a link to the surveys themselves. I had to hunt around the front page for a while until I found this year's survey.

That certain would work wonders. I was completely unaware of this survey occurring until, through luck, I just happened to have saw it in the news feed.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
There are quite a few stuff on ANN that I wish would come back like "House of A 1000 Manga,""Right Turn Only,""Anime News Nina,""Pile of Shame,"etc. They were really interesting and I hope they return someday.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
When filling the form out I noticed that I never been to an anime convention even though I am living in the US for 3 years now. Anyway, I think that ANN should talk more about live action Japanese stuff as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Welp, I misunderstood the "Talkback" question. I'm for it staying in the forums, though I voted otherwise.

I'm always mixed on the subscription for ANN. On the one hand, I whitelist ANN, so unless it gets a super annoying ad (like the recent TripAdvisor ads, I think) that play automatically or start creating Javascript issues that crash my Firefox browser, I just leave it be. Otherwise I'll turn AdBlocker on for a few days, turn it off to see if that ad is still going, and then leave it off.

On the other, while I wouldn't mind supporting ANN directly at all, I also have absolutely no idea what perks ANN offers. I know it gets brought up in the forums every time a survey gets conducted (no ads and layout options, I think), but I feel like there's not a whole lot of incentive that I'm aware of to push me in that direction. That's in contrast, to say, Hulu or Crunchyroll, that have invasive ads that get in the way of your viewing time and directly reinforce why subscribing might be a good idea. I'm definitely not saying that's a good option, those are just my thoughts on why it flies under the radar for me.

Also, woah, I was also really conflicted on the "how many hours do you game" question. Considering that I play a puzzle game on my iPhone every night to get me to sleep, I couldn't figure out whether to include that time or not. In the end, I went with just PC playtime. ^^;
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
A few years back I read between the lines to see the interest in adding video games to the site, and it definitely felt similar to some of the undertones this year. Meanwhile, light novels (and to a lesser extent manga) still feel like they are considered the red-headed step-children that "aren't anime."

On the comments, moving them to the articles would mean the pages take even longer to load then their current oft-zone-violating-adverts version do (other than the one recommendation for Disqus, which only loads about 10% the time for me anyway.) And we'd loose-out on those friendly little chides that the feedback we are visiting is more than 4-hours old, so we should be careful not to say anything short of earth-shattering (even if only there to read.) Would probably also make searching for posts harder.

Calathan wrote:
Also, just some general feedback, the thing I would like to see improved the most if for all the pending anime submissions and error reports for the encyclopedia to get processed faster. My understanding is that there will be a new system in the new version of the encyclopedia which will allow people to vote on those rather than having staff process them. I'm personally not at all confident that will improve the encyclopedia, since I'm not confident that people in general will get things right (i.e., I trust the staff to be accurate much more than I trust the general community). I would rather you pay staff to process that information, even if it meant paying a higher subscription fee.

I was under the impression not all editors were [paid] staff. I do agree with the trepidation at letting users have free run of the coop, and with the hope that new titles & errors get processed faster. Hopefully there is a useful middle ground in allowing us greater freedom in making corrections while still keeping enough moderation in place to prevent the inmates from running the joint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8