• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film's 'Translucent Extraterrestrial Armor' Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Its because of comments like these that we cant have nice things.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

As for this movie not being gritty, well, I don't think the staff got that memo. In the EW post, the production designer says, “Ours is an alien costume that grows on them, that’s not man-made. You can’t win everyone over, but we are trying to appeal to a more mature audience and gain new fans.”

I for one am fine with this given how cheesy and corny the original series looks without the nostalgia blinders.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
deidara517 wrote:
this whole thing is going to be a mess from the rita repulsa costumes and the alt costume looking NOTHING like the original and overly political correct casting of the actual power rangers and now their costumes and origin of them.
Overly politically correct? Please, care to elaborate? Because I literally just see a group of teenagers. What makes this cast? So "politically correct"?
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
YOU ALL NEED TO ACCEPT CHANGE FOR ONCE! THIS IS THE FUTURE NOW AND FOR THIS GENERATION OF KIDS!
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I expected to be much worse. It's ... not that bad. At least the colors are the same unlike Rita's suit.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
YOU ALL NEED TO ACCEPT CHANGE FOR ONCE! THIS IS THE FUTURE NOW AND FOR THIS GENERATION OF KIDS!

Kids today have their own Power Rangers, not a hackneyed appropriation of an older generation's.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
deidara517 wrote:
this whole thing is going to be a mess from the rita repulsa costumes and the alt costume looking NOTHING like the original and overly political correct casting of the actual power rangers and now their costumes and origin of them.
Overly politically correct? Please, care to elaborate? Because I literally just see a group of teenagers. What makes this cast? So "politically correct"?

Diversity. Though to be fair, so was the original except in a silly way with the black ranger being black, and the yellow ranger being yellow. In this case, the diversity doesn't feel forced since the original already had forced diversity, so I don't mind too much.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Busy, really busy and look... they light up. That'll make surprise attacks tricky.

My main issue is that the helmets all look like they have the same design except for the red one and even there you can barely make out the tyrannosaurus.

Also I'm sure boob lines and armor were sooo necessary to the design.

It gives me the impression that they'll be throwing out the fantasy elements for sci-fi and that Zordon won't be a wizard.

What next? I suppose the green ranger will have wings that unfold from his shield because the Dragonzord won't resemble Godzilla anymore in the next movie. Assuming we get that far.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the worst part of those designs would be the helmets. Something looks wrong with them. Maybe stretched too tall? Or maybe just too big in general?

Jhechav wrote:
I think they did great when they actually had a diverse cast, but now I have issues with the costumes.

But the original already had a diverse cast? I mean the red ranger was native american, the yellow ranger was asian, the black ranger was black, the blue ranger was a white guy, and the pink ranger was a white girl.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Can Marvel get the Power Rangers rights? They could put Spider-Man into the movie with his own Megazord, so people would watch it.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Having taken a second look and calmed down. They aren't so bad. I just wish the visors weren't all the same shape, except for the red ranger's.

Though looking at them now, I can't help but think, "Prepare for Battlegrid Mode!"

I want to like these and hope I'm proven wrong. I want to be proven wrong and if I am, then I will happily admit it.
wdwyer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
So the body armor has breasts and cod pieces...did we not learn from Batman Forever? All that's missing is the nipples. Shocked

I have no problem with the casting, nor the Rita costume. Updating the 90's cheesy looks (especially Rita) is fine. Yet these costumes (assuming they are finished products), look like the directors way of sexualizing the film just for the sake of it.
Animeking1108

SnowWarren wrote:
Also I'm sure boob lines and armor were sooo necessary to the design.

Well, where else are the boobs going to go? The hammerspace top the teacher from "Eiken" wore?
NobleKind92

Oh god the lips!

And the high heels!

AND THE ABS!

AND THE ARC REACTORS1 *head explodes*

But yeah. This looks like Power Rangers by way of Christopher Nolan. And no, that isn't a compliment.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
deidara517 wrote:

You chose the wrong franchise to complain about "political correctness". Power Rangers have always had diverse casts with at least one Black person and one East Asian person, all the way since Mighty Morphin'.

I'm not too fond of the costumes. They're way too busy and, much like Rita's new look, seem to have been made with the idea of looking "edgy". They've really missed the point: no matter how "dark" a Power Rangers series gets, it's still relatively self-aware of how ridiculous the situation is. Whether or not you're in on the joke depends on whether or not you've hit puberty; if not, you're too young to worry about these things. If you have, you most likely don't care anyway. It's probably why you're watching in the first place.

You can make arguments about how Batman and Superman POW BAM COMICS AREN'T JUST FOR KIDS, but Power Rangers is all about kids. You can't divorce Power Rangers from its child-like sense of magic and adventure. You do that, you take the point out of the whole thing. Even Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles movie kept in some form of humor from the show (see: "MC Mikey").

spoiler[I know someone's going to bring up how the original Eastman and Laird comics were edgy, and they were--but TMNT didn't get popular until the heavily-sanitized cartoon (in a strange twist, "dumbing it down" worked).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6