• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Grand Prize Winners, Honorable Mentions Announced for 7th Kyoto Animation Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crx07

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
It's sadly interpreted as "IT'S A SCAM!" from the second post because there's a cultural sentiment of "THERE MUST BE A WINNER!" ignoring that many other contests in Japan (from publishers like Kadokawa, Ascii Media Works, Shueisha, etc) have situations where no one wins a grand prize.
I got interested in reading all the ANN news about the results of KyoAni Awards last year. While I'm reading, I notice people crying "SCAM" every single year. These crying worsened year after year. And I believe the failure of ANN reporting on the year a work named Violet Evergarden finally won the award made it worse.
I'm happy that more knowledgeable people step up this year. I hope this will not happen again next year.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
#844903 wrote:
I will quote what ultimatemegax said. Argue with him instead because he seems to have the one who has more knowledge.

Sadly there is no use arguing. It's sadly interpreted as "IT'S A SCAM!" from the second post because there's a cultural sentiment of "THERE MUST BE A WINNER!" ignoring that many other contests in Japan (from publishers like Kadokawa, Ascii Media Works, Shueisha, etc) have situations where no one wins a grand prize. Yet those don't get reported in English, so people blame KyoAni when they follow suit.

So what you're saying is that this type of thing has been done with other prominent publishers on a regular basis, right? Hmm, that puts things into perspective.
crx07

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So what you're saying is that this type of thing has been done with other prominent publishers on a regular basis, right? Hmm, that puts things into perspective.
I like their style. I would rather award great works than best works. For example, in hypothetical year X, when there are many great works, I would rather award all of them than just award the best. Conversely, in hypothetical year Y, when the best work does not deserve an award, I would rather not award it. The best award does not give justice to the great works submitted in year X, but it awards the best work of year Y, which does not does not deserve anything, and is much worse than those great works that are not called the best in year X. It's double-standard-ish. I guess people (mostly western) crying SCAM loves this rotten double-standard-ish system.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's a difference in mindset. It seems that Kyoto Animation will always find something to adapt (if I'm interpreting people familiar with this contest correctly), even if it doesn't always win an award. I've entered some screenwriting contests where it's the opposite: They always give out an award to the best entries (but usually just one), but the companies that run these contests don't necessary adapt anything from a particular contest.

In both cases, what is awarded and what is adapted is unrelated (or so it seems), but what is considered the standard of quality is in the opposite thing. In a way, the difference is the competition: You're competing with other writers for the contests I've entered, but you're competing with Kyoto Animation for their contest.

Writing contests held by movie or TV studios have a reputation of "SCAM!" when it comes to Hollywood, which I'm certain is the root of why this contest is being accused of such. I can't say anything more on the Kyoto Animation Awards as I don't have any proof one way or another, but I can say that, having worked as an assistant to an executive in Hollywood, he told me story ideas are stolen from writers all the time, especially from rookies who haven't yet acquired the experience to legally protect their works (I register all of mine with WGA specifically to prevent this) or the clout to take legal action. What they'll do is hear a good pitch or get a good script and turn the person down, but remember the pitch or keep the script and relay it to one of their in-house writers to re-interpret. (He himself finds this practice abhorrent and does not do it himself, but he's seen plenty of his peers do it.)

#844903 wrote:
I wonder why you are obsessed on feedback. Feedback are only given to the works who have a potential to become better. But with one exception. All bad works are also given feedback, not to the work but to the author himself. The feedback is "rewrite".

That sort of feedback isn't very helpful though. I suppose technically, it is feedback, but it's not feedback that can be used to improve anybody's work.
crx07

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I suppose technically, it is feedback, but it's not feedback that can be used to improve anybody's work.
That feedback is meant not to improve anybody's work but to suggest the author to give up on that work and make another one because it's hopeless. Why give feedback to a work that has no room for improvement? Better write a better one.
I remembered that a harsh professor in one of my classes said that she is very critical of literary works. She said that if the work of a student that is submitted to her sucks but still has potential, she will say that part sucks and revise this and that. But if the work sucks very much, she would heartlessly say that the work is trash. And then she recommend the student to write a new literary work. I believe KyoAni does the same thing, but with a much higher literary standard. I believe that all works that are submitted to KyoAni Awards that failed to even get the smallest prize failed to pass the KyoAni standards, has no or insignificant potential, and it's irredeemable.
crx07

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Writing contests held by movie or TV studios have a reputation of "SCAM!" when it comes to Hollywood, which I'm certain is the root of why this contest is being accused of such. I can't say anything more on the Kyoto Animation Awards as I don't have any proof one way or another, but I can say that, having worked as an assistant to an executive in Hollywood, he told me story ideas are stolen from writers all the time, especially from rookies who haven't yet acquired the experience to legally protect their works or the clout to take legal action. What they'll do is hear a good pitch or get a good script and turn the person down, but remember the pitch or keep the script and relay it to one of their in-house writers to re-interpret.
I feel bad for them. Really bad. I now understand why some people scream SCAM. But I believe KyoAni Awards is honest enough because I think Japanese are not as gullible as Americans in terms of IP rights and Japan is more strict in implementing IP rights. Also, they add more minor awards to award those who have nice ideas even though the work in general sucks. Why add minor awards when you can just steal the ideas? Also, I believe Japanese especially those who don't live very big cities are more selfless and respectful than big city-living Americans. I remembered during the tsunami crisis, people didn't attempt to steal even though it's easy to steal. (But it's media, but still) I also believe Japanese are strict against plagiarism and is copying the style of critiquing scientific journals.
I don't know how Hollywood runs contests. Do they award the best or the great?
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Maybe it's a difference in mindset. It seems that Kyoto Animation will always find something to adapt (if I'm interpreting people familiar with this contest correctly), even if it doesn't always win an award. I've entered some screenwriting contests where it's the opposite: They always give out an award to the best entries (but usually just one), but the companies that run these contests don't necessary adapt anything from a particular contest.

In both cases, what is awarded and what is adapted is unrelated (or so it seems), but what is considered the standard of quality is in the opposite thing. In a way, the difference is the competition: You're competing with other writers for the contests I've entered, but you're competing with Kyoto Animation for their contest.

Writing contests held by movie or TV studios have a reputation of "SCAM!" when it comes to Hollywood, which I'm certain is the root of why this contest is being accused of such. I can't say anything more on the Kyoto Animation Awards as I don't have any proof one way or another, but I can say that, having worked as an assistant to an executive in Hollywood, he told me story ideas are stolen from writers all the time, especially from rookies who haven't yet acquired the experience to legally protect their works (I register all of mine with WGA specifically to prevent this) or the clout to take legal action. What they'll do is hear a good pitch or get a good script and turn the person down, but remember the pitch or keep the script and relay it to one of their in-house writers to re-interpret. (He himself finds this practice abhorrent and does not do it himself, but he's seen plenty of his peers do it.)

Thank you very much for posting that last bit. I now understand why there's a mentality that this contest could be a scam.

There have been 9 novel series published by Kyoto Animation. Of those, 6 won honorable mentions in these awards (Chuunibyou and Coppelia in the first, Kyoukai and High Speed! in the second, Phantom World in the 4th, and Robot Heart Update in the 5th). One was a collection of short stories published in KyoAni's online fan magazine that ran in the late 2000s (Sunset Lighthouse). One was a novelization of an original TV show/movie (Tamako Market/Tamako Love Story). Finally, the last is the sole Grand Prize winner, Violet Evergarden.

Of those, Chuunibyou, Kyoukai, High Speed, Phantom World, and Evergarden have/will be adapted into anime series. All won something in the awards and had something that would appeal to a larger crowd, thus they could be animated. (Coppelia and Sunset Lighthouse aren't the best late night anime material, thus they weren't adapted.)

If there's nothing from the awards in certain years, KyoAni has now shown to go out to other publisher to acquire adaptation rights. This was true for Euphonium and Amagi (though they partnered with Kadokawa Shoten and TBS to finance the latter) and is likely true for Koe no Katachi (Nothing's been said to deny this, but no evidence to support it either).

In short, they're not taking something that didn't win an award and animate it or even publish it. If it didn't hold up to their judges' standards, then it's not likely good enough to animate. That's why I don't feel it's a scam: they say awards may not be given (like many other publishers) and the producers aren't afraid to seek outside material if none in-house is available. It's not like the Hollywood setting; IPs are very sacred in Japan and each rightsholder will get royalties for anything sold with that IP. The authors that communicate with fans on twitter have had nothing but good things to say about their works. (and we've seen some authors submit works to different contests; Evergarden was a runner-up elsewhere before announced as the Grand Prize winner)
crx07

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
and we've seen some authors submit works to different contests; Evergarden was a runner-up elsewhere before announced as the Grand Prize winner)
Is submitting submitted works to other contests prohibited in KyoAni Awards? Cannot read this piece of Japanese but Google Translate seems to help. (同一作品の二重投稿(他の賞への応募)は認められません。)I think It's translated as "Double submission of the same work (entry to other awards) is not allowed." I don't know if it means "submitting to KyoAni Awards before submitting to other awards is not allowed" or "after submitting to other awards" or both.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
KyoAni rules also say: 受賞された場合、作品の著作権(出版権、映像化権、ゲーム化権ほか作品から派生する副次的な商品化権)は 株式会社京都アニメーションに帰属します。

That seems to mean that if you win KyoAni gets all IP. Sounds like a good deal to KyoAni, they get all rights for about 900 bucks of prize money.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
I feel bad for them. Really bad. I now understand why some people scream SCAM. But I believe KyoAni Awards is honest enough because I think Japanese are not as gullible as Americans in terms of IP rights and Japan is more strict in implementing IP rights. Also, they add more minor awards to award those who have nice ideas even though the work in general sucks. Why add minor awards when you can just steal the ideas? Also, I believe Japanese especially those who don't live very big cities are more selfless and respectful than big city-living Americans. I remembered during the tsunami crisis, people didn't attempt to steal even though it's easy to steal. (But it's media, but still) I also believe Japanese are strict against plagiarism and is copying the style of critiquing scientific journals.
I don't know how Hollywood runs contests. Do they award the best or the great?

This is just speculation, but I think the difference lies in culture. As you mentioned, people in Japan are less inclined to steal, and I believe that holds true to idea theft as well.

Most screenwriting competitions I enter will always give out at least one award, putting them under the "best" category. However, they will only adapt the "great," meaning there are many, many screenwriting competition winners whose scripts don't get adapted. (These are not necessarily run by someone in Hollywood, but usually someone with the connections to get a script to a producer or executive.) Hence why I think these awards are the opposite: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kyoto Animation almost always finds at least one thing to adapt? (Or do they just dig elsewhere if there are no winners? I'm not entirely clear on this.) Whereas with these competitions, they always give a winner but don't always adapt something.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
KyoAni rules also say: 受賞された場合、作品の著作権(出版権、映像化権、ゲーム化権ほか作品から派生する副次的な商品化権)は 株式会社京都アニメーションに帰属します。

That seems to mean that if you win KyoAni gets all IP. Sounds like a good deal to KyoAni, they get all rights for about 900 bucks of prize money.

If you don't get an award, can you still submit your story to another contest?
crx07

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
I'm sure all publishers pay royalties. Also, I think in Japan, authors have great power over their work.
crx07

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kyoto Animation almost always finds at least one thing to adapt? (Or do they just dig elsewhere if there are no winners? I'm not entirely clear on this.) Whereas with these competitions, they always give a winner but don't always adapt something.
I recommend reading ultimatemegax's comment above.
Quote:
If you don't get an award, can you still submit your story to another contest?
I believe all scientific publications in the world will disallow it. And I think the submission rules of all Japanese literary awards are based on the rules of submitting scientific publications. I also had a post related to this question 4 posts above.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

Again: if you submit your light novel or manga to Kadokawa or whoever, and they decide to start publishing it, you get no money at all up front. Authors get paid in royalties.

It's not like winning a contest can make you lose your rights to your own work. At least in Japan.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
1. All amateur literary works can be improved into professional quality through feedback.
I don't think so.

At no time did I say anything about feedback would improve a amateur literary work into one of professional quality.
Ali07 wrote:
Others could become much better (or perhaps great) writers if they knew what their failings are, and that would only come up through feedback.

I didn't even mention the work professional at all. Nor did I talk about a singular work improving, but that writers could improve when given feedback.

I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth.
crx07

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
#844903 wrote:
1. All amateur literary works can be improved into professional quality through feedback.
I don't think so.

At no time did I say anything about feedback would improve a amateur literary work into one of professional quality.
I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth.
I take that back. It's my big error. I should've put that thought outside my enumeration or integrated my thoughts on #1 to #2. But I hope you get what I say especially #2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5