• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 RPG's U.S. Release Will Only Have English Audio & Text

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
And... dropped. I was actually, honest to God, going to buy a PS4 for this.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And... dropped. I was actually, honest to God, going to buy a PS4 for this.

Aren't there real issues with a game you should boycott it for? Like it being incredibly linear like FFXIII, forcing you to buy DLC like "Battlefront," or be a glitch fest like "Sonic Boom?"
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Aren't there real issues with a game you should boycott it for?

Please, do not mention Fujoushi Fantasy XV, I just ate. And yes, I'll complain about that if there's a post/article about it. This is an article about how P5 is English dub only. That is a deal breaker for me.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Please, do not mention Fujoushi Fantasy XV, I just ate. And yes, I'll complain about that if there's a post/article about it. This is an article about how P5 is English dub only. That is a deal breaker for me.

Lord, that got me laughing a bit on that one. Nice.

Truth be told, as someone who was brought up watching anime dubs and transitioning over to subs, I can't see myself playing P5 with an English dub only option. Now if they went the route like Danganronpa: Another Episode and a few other games and included the JP voices as DLC, then I wouldn't mind.

To those of us who care, this is a "REAL" issue. This persuades us to either buy or drop just like the glitches and bugs in other games that you care about.
Sifixs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
^

Agree specially with the all star japanese voice cast, then you get mediocre english cast at best ughh
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how a dub only video game is comparable to glitches and bugs. One is game breaking. The other is based on subjectivity and personal preference*. It's not even like anime. Anime is about everything, so everything matters. Gameplay in video games ought to be the most important thing in a game. Controls ought to be more important than voice acting. Frame rate ought to be more important than voice acting. Voice acting is of no importance, to be honest in a video game.

*By the way, it IS possible to like the Japanese version AND the English dubbed version. That's a radical concept these days, but it is possible. Razz
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:
Agree specially with the all star japanese voice cast, then you get mediocre english cast at best ughh

Writing them off after a 30 second trailer is bad enough. But writing them off before you've even heard them?

I get that some people have their preferences but for God's sake don't try to make it out as if there's some sort of inherent problem with English voice actors. There's a lot of hard working, talented people in the industry and they don't deserve to get crap from people.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:

Definitely not. Atlus USA just doesn't value giving fans what they want, so they don't. This is definitely not a licensing issue.

That being said Atlus you just want me to buy this at a discount don't you?

I would think giving fans the game itself matters a lot more than giving fans the option to play the game with the characters speaking in Japanese. They could always take the path of least resistance and not release the game just like with the early Shin Megami Tensei games.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Did some more cleaning up. Keep it nice, people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
If something's garbage in the original version, removing it or altering it in the localization makes the localized version better than it would be if the content had been left unchanged.

That's entirely subjective. Just because you are afraid of the human body doesn't mean everyone else is. It's always mind-boggling to see people defend the removal of features in a game as a positive. Again, your example goes back to the 'didn't like it in the first place' reasoning.

-Stuart Smith
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I was finally looking to get onboard the Persona hype train. There's little reason this day in age to do this. Reverse importing? Anyone who wanted this game in Japan for the super rare collector prices got it a long time ago already. for basic PS4 games the cost isn't as extreme. Its gotta be some sorta agenda. Either they want to push and market the English voice cast by forcing fans of the franchise into it, or there was a headache in the original script that needed to get shoveled out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Its gotta be some sorta agenda. Either they want to push and market the English voice cast by forcing fans of the franchise into it, or there was a headache in the original script that needed to get shoveled out.

Or or or there could be an issue with getting permission to retain the use of the japanese voice track in the english versions. Neither of those allegations make any sense.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I would think giving fans the game itself matters a lot more than giving fans the option to play the game with the characters speaking in Japanese. They could always take the path of least resistance and not release the game just like with the early Shin Megami Tensei games.

Sure they could do that, if they don't like free money.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Or or or there could be an issue with getting permission to retain the use of the japanese voice track in the english versions. Neither of those allegations make any sense.

Or more likely they didn't even try. Or if they did, they didn't try very hard. As has already been mentioned multiple times every other localization company has zero issue getting dual audio for their parent company games, why is Atlus USA a special flower who has the inability to release dual audio games? The answer is that they don't care and don't listen to their audience who has been asking for original audio for ages.

Atlus used to be my favorite localization company but between the lack of original audio, mocking the PC platform, and charging 25% above retail price for handheld releases, I basically glance at their releases and say "Is this the company I really want to keep supporting with their horrible business practices?"
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how this is a problem, assuming the only thing missing is the Japanese audio and none of the content. Not to be that guy, but the majority of people I encounter that complain about English audio cannot even begin to distinguish Japanese voice actors from one another, much less have to deal with listening to the same ones play the same kind of roles over and over like they accuse English voice actors of doing.

Personal feelings aside, it's more likely than not a licensing issue with the voice actors themselves. Same reason CrunchyRoll has plenty more K-dramas than J-dramas. If someone finds something actually important cut from the game, or if the dialogue is actually chopped to bits (Like Fire Emblem: Fates was), then you can be up in arms. The fact that Atlus is even entertaining the idea of releasing the Japanese audio as DLC despite the issues should be enough to silence anyone that still thinks it's a big conspiracy of censorship or some garbage. If the DLC comes at a price, don't be mad either: it wasn't cheap to get.

Stuart Smith wrote:
pikabot wrote:
If something's garbage in the original version, removing it or altering it in the localization makes the localized version better than it would be if the content had been left unchanged.
That's entirely subjective. Just because you are afraid of the human body doesn't mean everyone else is. It's always mind-boggling to see people defend the removal of features in a game as a positive. Again, your example goes back to the 'didn't like it in the first place' reasoning.

-Stuart Smith
I agree with this. Nothing should be removed or censored from a product "to make it better" during localization. There are a number of things that make me uncomfortable, and they're most likely not the same things that make most people feel that way, so it really holds no ground, since there's nothing that affects everyone in this sense. The fact that localization teams have to cut material to meet a certain rating is still infuriating. Wal-Mart, of all places, sells uncensored "un-rated" versions of movies, so I don't see why game retailers, localization teams, and system manufacturers all still cling so tightly to the voluntary rating system in America, especially for niche titles (like Persona) that probably won't see many sells outside of online-retailers and game-specific retailers (like GameStop).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

First off, I said "Final Fantasy XIII," not XV. Second, the other "Persona" games were dub only in America and nobody complained then. Why are we complaining now? The only voices in the "Persona" games that sucked were Fuuka and Teddie, and Teddie was even worse in the Japanese version (along with Rise).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5