• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Dragon Ball Super, Plans English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

I wonder why the voice acting in Kai's dub is considerably better than any of the voice acting from the old dub.The quality of the voice acting is the same between the two.

Not really most of the voice acting in Kai's dub doesn't make me cringe like the old dub eventually wound up doing. The more faithful script and better music in both the edited dub and the use of the original music in the uncut version is an added bonus.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Dubbed version ftw.

Goku (adult), Krillin (adult), Gohan (adult), Goten (teen), Yajirobi and Bardock were all voiced by men as it should be.

Bruce Faulconer's music was infinitely better and should have been added to the Kai series. But I'm glad some fans are doing that because the Japanese music just sucks in both Z and Z Kai.

Dub kept the meanings but played around with the script to make them sound more badass and witty. Vegeta has some of the best one-liners in the original series dub. I'm glad they retained some of that in Z Kai.

I just wish they got Kyle Hebert to continue narrating Z Kai because the new narrator they got is boring. I hope he comes back for Super though, but I very much doubt it because they want to stick as close to the Japanese version as possible because 'Japanese are always right' (BS!!!!!)
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Dub kept the meanings but played around with the script to make them sound more badass and witty. Vegeta has some of the best one-liners in the original series dub. I'm glad they retained some of that in Z Kai.

The dub was based off of extremely poorly translated scripts and blatantly misrepresented several characters' personalities as well as getting multiple plot-points completely and utterly wrong. Goku being a total Superman-clone, Vegeta apparently being a gentle soul turned evil by Freeza and wanting revenge for that, Bardock being a "brilliant scientist" (yes, I know this was corrected in the uncut redub), Bardock referring to the Freeza-soldiers behind him as his "men" and acting like he was leading a large-scale attack against Freeza in that one flashback in that arc, Bardock's entire character-arc in his TV-special being completely different and infinitely more heroic (Have I made it clear yet that FUNi did not do Bardock very well? Because they did not do Bardock very well) Tao Pai Pai being a Red Ribbon Army general, Goku having come face to face with Dr. Gero and deliberately spared his life...
And that's just off the top of my head. None of the things I mentioned were present in the Japanese version or the manga, and a lot of them directly contradict them. Not to mention Freeza's mannerisms being so dramatically different (Even FUNi themselves have admitted that they completely missed the point)... Honestly, I understand that you probably grew up with the FUNi dub and have a lot of nostalgia for it, but it's pretty much a different story alltogether from what Toriyama wrote.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
...because they want to stick as close to the Japanese version as possible because 'Japanese are always right' (BS!!!!!)

It's not a matter of the Japanese version automatically being better due to being Japanese... It's a matter of faithfully representing the show they are working on. They aren't making a new show here, they're trying to bring the anime Dragon Ball Z over to an English-speaking audience. Drastically altering characters' personalities, getting backstories and plot-points completely wrong, changing the music and so on goes completely against that.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
You know most of these errors were corrected in subsequent rereleases so it's a moot point. You're probably an elitist who only likes the Toriyama story because it's 'the original'. I'd rather have a better representation of something rather than a faithful one of a crappy series. I'm really sick of this 'faithful' argument. What does it do for me if the original version is crap? If you can improve on something, go for it! Considering that FUNi used a poorly translated version of the show, they did more than a fantastic job making it more exciting and interesting worthy of the name Dragon Ball Z whereas the original is more like Dragon Ball Z's (or DBZzzz).

The Japanese treatment of DBZ is like George Lucas, great visionary, but horrible at executing. So more people step in and add to the vision, in this case, FUNimation (or whoever had it when Ocean was recording the dub). I'd rather Goku be a Superman clone than a manchild.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
^Um... Wanting a series to be accurately translated when it makes it overseas is only fair. It's not "elitism" and I have no idea where you're getting that from. You are free to enjoy the old dub, but it is not accurately Dragon Ball Z, and you're going to have to accept that's not how things are going to be done from here on out.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
You know most of these errors were corrected in subsequent rereleases so it's a moot point. You're probably an elitist who only likes the Toriyama story because it's 'the original'. I'd rather have a better representation of something rather than a faithful one of a crappy series. I'm really sick of this 'faithful' argument. What does it do for me if the original version is crap? If you can improve on something, go for it! Considering that FUNi used a poorly translated version of the show, they did more than a fantastic job making it more exciting and interesting worthy of the name Dragon Ball Z whereas the original is more like Dragon Ball Z's (or DBZzzz).

The only thing I mentioned that FUNi went back and corrected in Z was the "Bardock was a brilliant scientist!" line. Everything else is still there in the latest release. And I don't think respecting the author's vision is enough to make me an "elitist". We're not talking about minor nitpicks here, we're talking the main characters having their personalities completely changed. You think these changes made the show better? Well good for you, but I grew up reading the adventures of a carefree, battle-loving simpleton who had a nasty tendency to show his enemies mercy solely because he wanted to fight them again. Which is far more interesting to me than letting those same enemies go because "if you show them mercy they might become our friends someday!" Also the original is objectively more consistent as it doesn't suffer from having started in the middle of the story and being adapted from nigh incomprehensible translations by people who don't know the backstory. (Again, the dub claims that Goku personally met Dr. Gero and that the hired assassin Tao Pai Pai was a general in the Red Ribbon Army, both of which are proven blatantly false if you just watch Dragon Ball.)

You want to talk about superior versions though? Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged. Not even kidding, I genuinely enjoy their take on the series a lot more than Toei's. But their version is at least honest about the fact that it's a parody doing its own thing, whereas FUNi's dub of the Z TV-series (But not Kai or the new movies, those are fine) is a parody trying to pretend it's the same show that the rest of the world got when it demonstrably isn't.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
^Um... Wanting a series to be accurately translated when it makes it overseas is only fair. It's not "elitism" and I have no idea where you're getting that from. You are free to enjoy the old dub, but it is not accurately Dragon Ball Z, and you're going to have to accept that's not how things are going to be done from here on out.

No, claiming something to be inferior solely because it's not exact to the T is. I really don't give a damn about the LITTLE errors (most of which were corrected) they made. You can go on and on about what the Japanese originally envisioned but in the end, I really don't care. I'm the kind of person who uses toilet paper without putting much thought on how it was made.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
You want to talk about superior versions though? Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged. Not even kidding, I genuinely enjoy their take on the series a lot more than Toei's.

I could understand someone preferring the old dub because they like the stupid dialogue and unfitting synthesized music due to nostalgia, but saying an abridged series is a better representation of the series? Is that even still a thing? I thought that fad died like 8 years ago. I'm no fan of the DBZ dub at all but I would take that any day of the week over some amateur fan parody on YouTube.
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:
You want to talk about superior versions though? Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged. Not even kidding, I genuinely enjoy their take on the series a lot more than Toei's.

I could understand someone preferring the old dub because they like the stupid dialogue and unfitting synthesized music due to nostalgia, but saying an abridged series is a better representation of the series? Is that even still a thing? I thought that fad died like 8 years ago. I'm no fan of the DBZ dub at all but I would take that any day of the week over some amateur fan parody on YouTube.

I'd hardly call it a fad when there are people who sincerely believe that TFS represented DBZ better than the original anime, myself included. Seriously, ask any TFS fan who thinks likewise and they can pinpoint quite a few places where the writing and characterization trump the original.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Goku (adult), Krillin (adult), Gohan (adult), Goten (teen), Yajirobi and Bardock were all voiced by men as it should be.

You mean as it should be according to you. Females voicing male characters is not exclusively a Japanese thing.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Bruce Faulconer's music was infinitely better

......It was overrated garbage, even the Ocean dub had better music.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
and should have been added to the Kai series. But I'm glad some fans are doing that because the Japanese music just sucks in both Z and Z Kai.

Kai has different music depending on whether you're watching the uncut sub/dub and the edited dub. And also are better than Faulconer's work.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Dub kept the meanings but played around with the script to make them sound more badass and witty.

.....If you're playing around with a script instead of going for accuracy you're not doing something good. Especially if you're making a straightforward dub instead of a gag dub.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Vegeta has some of the best one-liners in the original series dub.

"HOLY COSMOS" this is some some grade A bait.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

I just wish they got Kyle Hebert to continue narrating Z Kai because the new narrator they got is boring.

Is he guy who needlessly was told to narrate in such an intense and over the top way that the original narrator never spoke in?

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I hope he comes back for Super though, but I very much doubt it because they want to stick as close to the Japanese version as possible because 'Japanese are always right' (BS!!!!!)

Wanting a dub that has an accurate script, music that's not all guitar-techno garbarge, and where the actors aren't hamming it up when it's not warranted or simply being awful. Has nothing to do with the Japanese always being right.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
You're probably an elitist who only likes the Toriyama story because it's 'the original'.

......The original "Toriyama Story" would be the manga not it's anime adaptation.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I'd rather have a better representation of something rather than a faithful one of a crappy series.

......A dub where the script isn't fully, much less half accurate isn't a better representation
of anything.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I'm really sick of this 'faithful' argument. What does it do for me if the original version is crap?

This begs the question though if you don't like the original version why do you feel the need to bring up your dislike of it, especially to praise a sub-par version of it that doesn't have a whole lot of legitimate quality surrounding it?

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
If you can improve on something, go for it!

The funimation dubs of DragonBall, Z, & even GT didn't improve squat.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
Considering that FUNi used a poorly translated version of the show, they did more than a fantastic job making it more exciting and interesting worthy of the name Dragon Ball Z

...Troll logic

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
The Japanese treatment of DBZ is like George Lucas, great visionary, but horrible at executing.

......If this were true (which it's not) why is it so iconic in and out of Japan and less divisive than the English version?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Cat's Tuxedo wrote:
I'd hardly call it a fad when there are people who sincerely believe that TFS represented DBZ better than the original anime, myself included. Seriously, ask any TFS fan who thinks likewise and they can pinpoint quite a few places where the writing and characterization trump the original.

So... they think Toei should have made Nappa become a ghost and sing Ghostbuster parody songs and everyone shoulda made tons of pedo jokes and outdated pop-culture references and the characters should in general be horrible to each other despite the fact they're supposed to be friends and comrades so it would be closer to Toriyama's original vision? I don't really remember the part in the manga where Goku has magic muffin power, but maybe I just forgot that part.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I do hope/ wish they would add Bruce Falcouner's music. And get me the rock the dragon theme song while we're at it. Can't stand that Cha La crap at all. I've only watched Super for the current arc and even then it's not all that. Though I do admit i love Super Saiyan Rose and Black is cool
+ 光

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
+ 光 wrote:
Considering the rate of Funi's simuldubs...Funi could possible have the first ep of the dub out in the next couple of weeks?

Toei would probably much rather Funimation have a TV deal set for Super than just put the dub up on their website.

So it could go one of three ways. Toonami could air it immediately after they finish the Cell arc of Kai, which would put it at January (this is unlikely, as two months for a bombshell like Super is a bit of short notice for Toonami). It could air on a completely different channel, which may put it at any point next year, and is actually the most likely outcome at the moment. Or, it may have to wait until 2018 once Toonami airs Buu Kai starting next year (which, much as Funimation likes to pretend they dont have it, its been confirmed numerous times by the VAs that it was recorded quite some time ago).

Crying or Very sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
I do hope/ wish they would add Bruce Falcouner's music. And get me the rock the dragon theme song while we're at it. Can't stand that Cha La crap at all.

For what it's worth you're not likely to get either so it'll likely be more Cha La Head Cha La and We Gotta Power "crap" you can't stand Razz
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yes!!!!! Finally been waiting for this Dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5