• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Perform Multiple Roles In Dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naiera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
This answerman answer contained yet a few reasons to never bother listening to dubs, no matter how un-Japanese the show might be (as in Bebop, FMA, etc.)
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I just hope that means Yuri Lowenthal and Kate Higgins (I know she's ficore, but she's also hard to get) will reprise their roles for the Akito the Exiled dub. Since Yuri was in RWBY it's completely possible.

This is where they can get Todd's help because we have already seen with Hyperdimension Neptunia that Kate won't travel out of California to reprise any roles but will reprise if done there like she did with the BlazBlue anime, dubbed at Cup of Tea around that same time.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
This answerman answer contained yet a few reasons to never bother listening to dubs, no matter how un-Japanese the show might be (as in Bebop, FMA, etc.)

From your perspective sure, but others don't feel like that. Personally I think some shows are better dubbed no matter how many actors pull double or even triple duty. Black Lagoon, YYH, Bebop, and a few other shows sound much better dubbed in my opinion because of their non-japanese settings.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@peno

Bottom line is that Funimation is going to "officially" hire union actors only if it has some compelling need.

I shortened for the sake of space, but I agree with what you said. Also, it is important to note that it costs the actors a fair amount to record in different locations. An LA actor would have to travel halfway across the country and find a place to stay, in order to record in Dallas. While Funimation is generally willing to have LA actors work with them, most of the time it isn't cost effective for either side. The ones that do it consistently tend to make regular trips or have access to other recording locations.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
I adore Bang Zoom's English dub of Love Live. But boy did I hear a lot of Carrie Keranen, Julie Ann Taylor and Mela Lee. I can't remember who it was but I also recall hearing one of the lead actor VAs in the background of one scene.

Funimation didn't have the same problem when they dubbed Sunshine but I actually think that Bang Zoom's dub was of better quality. I do get the feeling it was quite low budget though which makes sense given the niche status the show has (Though considering how quick the series sold I'd say making the dub was a good investment).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:

You do realize the Japanese VAs are multi-cast in various roles too, right? It's not exclusive to English dubbing nor does it lower the quality of the anime in any way.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

You do realize the Japanese VAs are multi-cast in various roles too, right? It's not exclusive to English dubbing nor does it lower the quality of the anime in any way.

It's also sometimes "hidden" as far as credits go. There are some exceptions (like Shirobako), but usually when a Japanese voice actor voices more than one role in an episode, they'll only get the credit for the more important role. This is often the reason why some minor roles who clearly have lines you can hear will be completely uncredited.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Nanoha and Pokémon are good example where a lot of seiyuus voice multiple characters.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon is also good example of where only the most important role is credited, like when Unshou Ishizuka is only credited as Narrator when Ookido-Hakase (Professor Oak) doesn't appear, otherwise, Ookido is credited and not Narrator. And sometimes, Seiyuus are totally uncredited. I think the only role Yuuji Ueda was credited for after Takeshi (Brock) left the cast, was Shizui (Marlon), but he still voiced a lot of other roles, especially Pokémon, for whom he was usually uncredited.
giao_su

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
That's probably because labor unions are illegal in Texas...

Labor unions are not illegal in Texas. They simply have a law called Right to work preventing workers from being forced to join a union as a condition as employment.

As a former union organizer, I cannot resist commenting.
To oversimplify, there are three basic types of membership requirements in collective bargaining agreements: closed shop, union shop, and open shop.
A closed shop agreement requires an employer to hire only union members and requires an employee to maintain union membership to stay employed. Under a closed shop agreement, if the union expels an employed worker, the employer must fire the expelled worker. Closed shops are illegal in the United States under the the Taft–Hartley Act (aka the Labor Management Relations Act of 1947).
A union shop is not a closed shop. A union shop collective bargaining agreement does not require that an employer hire only union members, but new employees must join the union within thirty days. U.S. labor law outlaws the strict form union shop where workers are required either to join the union or pay union dues. Under current union shop agreements, a union is allowed to collect agency fees from non-members. Agency fees refer to the portion of union dues covering the cost of representing employees in negotiating collective bargaining contracts and providing services to employees under the contract. Agency fees do not include the cost of the union's political activities as well as not including the cost of organizing employees of other employers.
Some states have so called "right to work" laws requiring open shop collective bargaining agreements. Under an open shop agreement, an employee does not have to join a union or pay agency fees. U.S. labor law places some limitations on open shops by prohibiting employers from firing or refusing to hire members of unions. Of course, it is difficult to prove that an employer fabricated some other pretext for firing or not hiring a union member.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Pokémon is also good example of where only the most important role is credited, like when Unshou Ishizuka is only credited as Narrator when Ookido-Hakase (Professor Oak) doesn't appear, otherwise, Ookido is credited and not Narrator. And sometimes, Seiyuus are totally uncredited. I think the only role Yuuji Ueda was credited for after Takeshi (Brock) left the cast, was Shizui (Marlon), but he still voiced a lot of other roles, especially Pokémon, for whom he was usually uncredited.

Yeah, Yuji Ueda, Megumi Hayashibara, Shin'ichiro Miki and Unsho Ishizuka did voiced a lot of different Pokémon (not to mention all those side characters Ishizuka voiced in almost every episode). Even Ikue Ohtani voices other Pokémon or humans (Shota is the most notable human role of her I can recall). Or Rica Matsumoto as Sakaki's Persian. It's weird that Ueda was absent for almost the entirety of Best Wishes.

But it would be really mad to use different seiyuus for every single Pokémon. In Germany, most of the time Pokémon of the same species share the same voice actor, regardless of the Pokémon's gender (not that there weren't female Pokémon with male voices in Japanese), while in Japan, many individual Pokémon have different seiyuus, but there are times where a seiyuus voices another Pokémon of the same species. In Japan, most of the time when a Pokémon evolves, they tend to keep the same seiyuu for the entire evolution line or at least for the first two evolution stages. In Germany, they usually use another voice actor for the next evolution, mostly because it was established that Pokémon of the same species share the same voice, so it was common that a three-evolution-line had three voice actors for every stage. But that didn't stop the voice actors from voicing Pokémon from completely different species. For example, Absol shares the same voice with Ludicolo or Linoone.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually, English dub is doing pretty much the same thing with Pokémon voices, except they at least try to keep the same voice for evolutionary line. But I really don't think, for example, Lampert was ever voiced by anyone else than Sean Schemmel or Lucario by anyone else than Bill Rogers (except in movie 8). Of course there were exceptions to this rule, like Piplup, for example, but they were scarce and most of the time, Pokémon of one kind tends to keep the same VAs in English dub, despite having different Seiyuus in Japanese.
huzaifa_ahmed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@peno

I think there is a bit of confusion here. All a "right to work" law provides is that you can't be required to be in a union as condition of employment. In some locals it also provides that the union must represent any employee with a grievance even if they are not members. This is a legislative attempt to gut unions since they are not allowed to prohibit them. It tends to work as intended.

Funimation is not prohibited from employing union actors. However, if a voice actor is in a union he or she is prohibited by the union from accepting less than the minimum scale required by the union. Since this is rather more than Funimation normally pays it acts as a disincentive for them to hire union actors. In addition to costing Funimation more it would tend to cause some hard feelings among the non union actors getting less for the same work. This has caused some union actors to work for Funimation or Sentai (also in Texas) to work under a pseudonym. I'm not sure how well this works as that is usually figured out by fans.

Bottom line is that Funimation is going to "officially" hire union actors only if it has some compelling need.

Not really; it's only about $15 more hourly for foreign-language dubs; then again, these are the same guys that only pay $50 for what amounts to an episode & a week's paycheck. lol, I could never accept that or work with these guys, even (nay, especially) as a dub fan.

Basically tho, I suppose it adds up, & for the most part, the pay is reasonable when considering how low most anime sells...but at the same time, they license everything these days, including the biggest-selling stuff. Jeez, even the dub of Dragon Ball media, arguably the most recognizable, world-wide phenomenon of an anime or manga...gets a non-union dub. This is utterly shameful behavior from FUNimation, whom the property holds up basically stand-alone in the sense that it comprises over half of their profits. It is furthered by their Americanized dub, which I don't mind as far as bringing in new fans/making money for more anime, but...you had to totally alter the perception of what the show actually is...& still cheap out on the production.

I seriously can't take this, even as someone who criticizes the dub (as a stand-alone product, even, Chris Sabat even *today* playing 3 main characters - WTF)...I don't want to hate FUNimation, I want them to get better.

Dragon Ball Super deserves a unionized triple-budget ($30k/episode) dub.

Attack on Titan season 2 deserves a double-budget ($20k/ep) unionized dub.

Berserk 2016, & *ANY* theatrically released big-budget anime film, deserves a unionized dub.

Drifters, Yuri on Ice, recent Ghost in the Shell, & My Hero Academia season 2, could do better.

Escaflowne...I'm not even sure where that $200k+ went, considering it's certainly enough for a Gurren Lagann-quality dub. This sort of shenanigans are inexcusable.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
I consider the original "Transformers" anime as it was animated in Japan (Korea also had involvement) even if it was aimed at the U.S. audiences. According to his Behind the Voice Actor entry, Frank Welker voiced 27 characters. On the topic of Welker, while he may be the most prolific voice actor out there (when not counting voice over pros, even though voice over can be acting), I consider the all-time greatest VA to be Mel Blanc.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

It's also sometimes "hidden" as far as credits go. There are some exceptions (like Shirobako), but usually when a Japanese voice actor voices more than one role in an episode, they'll only get the credit for the more important role. This is often the reason why some minor roles who clearly have lines you can hear will be completely uncredited.

Didn't I say basically the same thing on like, the second page? LoL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5