• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
How did the BBT official release handle the card art? Did they use the original Japanese text and art or use the English text and censored art for the cards? Does the art magically change depending on which track you pick? I already know they use of the American card names even in the sub which is why I watched the fansub instead, but I'm curious since these movies are the only time the cards don't look like cheap blown up images with numbers on them in the dub.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
How did the BBT official release handle the card art? Did they use the original Japanese text and art or use the English text and censored art for the cards? Does the art magically change depending on which track you pick?

It's been a while since I watched, but I believe the art changes depending on which track you pick.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Really? People generally consider the anime superior adaption to the manga.

Anyone who thinks this needs to read YGO Canon Shuffle.

Lord Oink wrote:
Most of the people I see who say the manga is better are people who hate the card game aspect of the franchise and say the early manga stuff is the best. Those kinds of people you can safely ignore.

"Safely?" I'll tell you, no one has ever ignored me who didn't learn to regret it!

And I would rephrase that to say that those who prefer the manga are generally those who aren't bothered by the fact the the manga card game doesn't work exactly like the real life card game. I know a lot of people who hate the manga mainly because it doesn't exactly follow the rules of the real life card game they are used to and that prevents them from really enjoying the story.

Lord Oink wrote:
Crunchyroll is slow as molassas, and uses dubtitles. Might as well go with the fansubs if you want to finish a series in your lifetime and not get bombarded with inconsistancies.

It's definitely not dubtitles. Try comparing to the dub. Most of the dialogue is very different. The Crunchyroll subtitles are mostly very accurate and use the original Japanese names of the characters. What they doesn't do is use accurate translations of the card names. But then again, even the Viz English manga only listed those in the back of each volume and used the real world TCG card names in the actual chapters.

1dbad wrote:
It's been a while since I watched, but I believe the art changes depending on which track you pick.

Can anybody provide evidence to back this up? That seems pretty unlikely to me. That would mean that they included 2 completely different copies of the video file that makes up the movie (or they did something really complicated with seamless branching which 90% of Blu-ray authoring companies aren't sophisticated enough to do). Maybe they do have the video on there twice and it wasn't that big of a deal because Bonds Beyond Time is so short. If it was a longer movie they wouldn't have been able to fit it on a single BD twice without serious compression (although, no more serious then we see on many US BD anime releases I suppose).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4