• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I'm mildly surprised that The Royal Tutor made the cut but Kabukibu! didn't. Well, i've voted for both, so i'm glad at least one made it, along with pretty much everything else i picked.

Same here, though I did expect Tutor to get in.

I was even motivated to make a discussion thread for Kabukibu!, since the second episode definitely put it in the keeper column for me. You (maybe) and I might be the only ones posting in it though... Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Wait is this actually a season where James doesn't have to suffer for our amusement?
James got Clockwork Planet though, which I feel probably will fit the bill
DrunkAyanami wrote:
Poor guy had to sit through Hand Shakers AND Big Order. He's earned Attack on Titan.

Hurray James, totally agree! Let's not forget TabooTattoo. I've been rooting for you to get decent shows. Still loved your reviews...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Sweet, Zero and Atom have been confirmed for this. : )
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice, Tsuki ga Kirei made it. Earlier I was sure this will be underrated show people wont watch.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
the entertainment value comes in the host cringing, swearing, or whatever.

I suppose then I am (again) the weird one in the bunch, since the reason I read reviews is because I liked the episode enough, but I can't watch it again since I get immediately bored (you know, like when you eat that last piece of delicious fruit and can eat another bite) so I read the review to see if there some hidden insight, worthwhile comparison or whatnot so I can somehow enjoy again the episode.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
the entertainment value comes in the host cringing, swearing, or whatever.

I suppose then I am (again) the weird one in the bunch, since the reason I read reviews is because I liked the episode enough, but I can't watch it again since I get immediately bored (you know, like when you eat that last piece of delicious fruit and can eat another bite) so I read the review to see if there some hidden insight, worthwhile comparison or whatnot so I can somehow enjoy again the episode.

Same here tbh
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Oh, more often than not I read reviews for that reason too. But occasionally, I do appreciate a reviewer tearing into some low-quality entertainment.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But occasionally, I do appreciate a reviewer tearing into some low-quality entertainment.

Entertainment can be categorized like food, on one end of the spectrum you have gourmet level and on the other you have trash. But near the later there is also what we call comfort foods, fast food or dessert. It is clear for anyone to see that they have inadequate nutritional value but they are very popular. Having someone out of the blue go "you are going to get fat" or "this is bad stuff" is not pleasant and uncalled for. That is what I feel is a problem in many of the reviews here. Yeah, many series have fan-service, pseudo or real incest, harem situations and other things someone will find objectionable, but we can leave that at the door (unless it is some kind of big reveal as in the ending of the third episode of Madoka Magica) becasue the reviewer is bashing at the viewer instead of reviewing the material at hand.

Of course there is material like Hand Shakers where I would like to see a behind the scenes of how something truly awful got a budget, but unlike live action. everything in an animated series has been planned beforehand, so it is harder to have something that truly is at trash level (as in, nobody saw the broadcast nor bought the disc release) therefore someone might distill some entertainment value (i.e. I watched of all Mayoiga and Big Order and there are people that endured Sailor Moon Crystal) .even though they were Train Wrecks but would not be interested in reading a review that simple bashed the series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Live-action fiction is also planned beforehand, and both animated and live-action material are just as prone to things not going to plan and changes being made, whether it be an executive's decision, an emergency happening to the production or to a crew member, things falling behind schedule, or other stuff. I would say that the range in quality of animated stuff is about the same as live-action stuff. You just see more about low-quality live-action fiction because there's more live-action than there is animated material.

And while there is no such thing as an objectively bad work of fiction, there is such a thing as a work of fiction so few people genuinely like that it can be worth tearing into. These caustic reviews, if written or narrated properly, would be solely about the work in question. It's why I like watching Dr. Ashens, as all of his criticism is aimed at whatever it is he's reviewing, whereas I don't really enjoy Zero Punctuation, as it's often about mocking consumers (such as his Zack & Wiki video, which he genuinely quite liked but spent much of it bashing fans of the old Sierra point-and-click games).

(Of course, Dr. Ashens is a British man in Britain, so sometimes, he'll come across something that just doesn't culturally translate which he'll bash unaware that what's boring and/or repulsive in one culture is quite liked in another. Though it doesn't happen often, one example is the Barcode Battler, whose gameplay, which is entirely numbers on an LCD screen, he describes as "like playing with a spreadsheet" whereas it was more popular in Japan at the time, whose kids would've been more interested in the numbers-based gameplay and wouldn't have minded the lack of graphics quite as much.)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
How the heck did Tsugumomo not make it?!

Dammit, I wanted to see a reviewer get surprised at how great the fights and plot get from the generic beginning.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Live-action fiction is also planned beforehand,

I was also including into the mix reality TV game and talk shows (animation can't adlib so there is a limiter built-in), not only fiction into the whole that is live action.

Quote:
And while there is no such thing as an objectively bad work of fiction, there is such a thing as a work of fiction so few people genuinely like that it can be worth tearing into.

IMO you can't label a series as rubbish to be torn apart until you have seen six episodes or half of it. Many reviewers her at ANN were ready to tear apart series that became very popular (Cross Ange, Konosuba, Re:Zero) and series that were expected to be excellent lost their mettle along the way (Izetta, Yurikuma Arashi).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I was also including into the mix reality TV game and talk shows (animation can't adlib so there is a limiter built-in), not only fiction into the whole that is live action.

Oh, they definitely CAN be ad-libbed. According to director commentary, about 60% of the dialogue in Osmosis Jones was ad-libbed, and they re-storyboarded particular scenes accordingly. (All of the lip-synching work was done after all of the acting was finished, so that process was unaffected in any way.) All that talking in those classic Fleischer Popeye cartoons where no one's mouths are moving? Those were ad-libbed too. The influential but horrendously obscure animated film Twice Upon a Time had a main cast consisting almost entirely of improv comedians, and the directors told them to go nuts with additional quips, with the only limitation being that they could not curse. Finally, though the script was very tight due to high amounts of character development, all of the singing roles in Over the Garden Wall went to professional jazz and blues singers (and some of the non-singing ones too, most notably The Beast), and they pretty much followed only themselves.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much the entirety of Peeping Life was ad-libbed.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, they definitely CAN be ad-libbed.

Semantically speaking you can use vocaloid to substitute voice actors. Practically speaking you will have nothing but obscure references or small scale productions (if at all) to show for it. There is an obvious reason why ad-libing in anime is a big no-no:

Quote:
All of the lip-synching work was done after all of the acting was finished, so that process was unaffected in any way..

This simply does not happen in anime as we know it. Maybe as cgi continues to evolve we might get to a point where adlibing does not add extra cost. Maybe Hand Shakers was such an attempt. Maybe if some big shot anime franchise gets so much budget to include hollywood actors they will do it to include their gestures. But atm to adlib you will need somet trick similar to that popeye cartoons, like the time Konata (Lucky Star) sang for her friends the Dragon Ball Z opening theme (behind a karaoke closed door)

http://youtu.be/xBIoZowCVCo
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Pretty much the entirety of Peeping Life was ad-libbed.

Ah, I remember that now. What is the process for that one? Is it digital, automatic lip-synching, or was it a case of anime where the voice acting actually came first? Or something else entirely?

mangamuscle wrote:

This simply does not happen in anime as we know it. Maybe as cgi continues to evolve we might get to a point where adlibing does not add extra cost. Maybe Hand Shakers was such an attempt. Maybe if some big shot anime franchise gets so much budget to include hollywood actors they will do it to include their gestures. But atm to adlib you will need somet trick similar to that popeye cartoons, like the time Konata (Lucky Star) sang for her friends the Dragon Ball Z opening theme (behind a karaoke closed door)

http://youtu.be/xBIoZowCVCo

That's the thing. You said "animation," not "anime" specifically. The anime process is different and doesn't allow for as much ad-libbing or other improvisation, due to how the animation in anime comes first and the voice actors say their lines in front of animatic-stage or later animation, whereas in animation from most other parts of the world, the voice actors perform first, then they do lip-synching and animation later. (From what I can gather, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but improv comedy does not seem to be that popular in Japan. Both rakugo and manzai, the two main forms of stand-up comedy in Japan, consist namely of scripted performances.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5