• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Centaur's Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and it was nice to see an anime little girl acting somewhat bratty.

People HATED Chibiusa for that.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
I understand perfectly why they moved the first chapter so far in, but really a better solution would have been to just leave it out altogether, that and the fact they actually showed the UFO makes me worried that there not taking the adaptation as a chance to excessive the worst part of the manga and create a more coherent story.

Otherwise I'm glad there introducing snake girl since she should be interesting (pretty sure we did see her previously but she was just background character) and with this we might get some glimpse into other country and how they deal with society and the many species needs.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The notorious first chapter has been animated and while silly it is very tame compared to a show like Monster Musume. I like that Kyoko immediately gets a health education book from the bookshelf. And what was written in that love letter was rather amusing and that boy is no Casanova.

The second half of the episode was about the Antarcticans who are either an advanced civilization or maybe even aliens. Of course politics were involved since the Antarcticans and the United States are at odds. Also from the look of Hime I am guessing that she has never actually met an Antarctican and I am curious to see how things go in the next episode.

meiam wrote:
I understand perfectly why they moved the first chapter so far in, but really a better solution would have been to just leave it out altogether, that and the fact they actually showed the UFO makes me worried that there not taking the adaptation as a chance to excessive the worst part of the manga and create a more coherent story.
To be fair if they didn't include the first chapter than fans of the manga might have been disappointed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Also from the look of Hime I am guessing that she has never actually met an Antarctican and I am curious to see how things go in the next episode.

More than that, I wonder if we are looking at an instinct issue. Hime is a Centaur, and one would think that they might have some similar instincts to that of horses, which from what I have heard have a natural very strong fear of snakes. So maybe something she cannot help easily.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Also from the look of Hime I am guessing that she has never actually met an Antarctican and I am curious to see how things go in the next episode.

More than that, I wonder if we are looking at an instinct issue. Hime is a Centaur, and one would think that they might have some similar instincts to that of horses, which from what I have heard have a natural very strong fear of snakes. So maybe something she cannot help easily.

Forget horses, our human brains (like most primates) evolved to detect snakes asap (and run, even if you have experience and equipment there is little meat in a snake).So I think at best Hime is fascinated with the antartican.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
I''m curious whether the anime will show a certain follow-up chapter next episode, where spoiler[Hime brings Snek Girl to see a movie that had scared the crap out of her when she was a child, which is about Atlantians and how they eat innocent victims and change into them, more or less]. According to the manga, at least, that's the main reason why she's afraid of Atlanteans. That, and nobody there knows much about them.

I'll tell you this, at least: spoiler[Sassassul (Snek Girl) was an adorable child].
Tylec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, episode four was just unbelievably dull. The study session story was our biggest 'slice of life' story so far, emphasizing the 'normal human girl' activities of our trio and ... well, they're just not that interesting without their demi-human quirks. I'm fascinated to see how PE class or drama presentations are affected by having a half-animal body, but when Hime and company's traits don't bring anything new to the scenario, you really question why it's worth presenting.

There's a glimmer of hope in our Antarctican transfer student, who could really open up the world building and race relations, but it's a faint light after a long tunnel of darkness.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Do they not have mirrors in this universe? oO
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The horn-centric soundtrack is the biggest problem in this show for me. It's terrible. Everything else about the show I find to be mildly entertaining, and I think the overall set up and world building is solid.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I was going to wait until the simuldub, but I got impatient and watched the first 4 eps - I'm loving this show! I don't mind the split episode format - it's kind of clear that there are two separate and unrelated stories in each episode. It's just such a cute show that is really making good use of the unusual "monster" elements.

I find it really interesting that most couples seem to be interracial (I guess that's the right term?) I came in assuming that they would always match up with the same species/race, but I guess since they are all "humans" they can reproduce with each other. I wonder how the snake people will come into that (if at all).

It's also nice to see high school love / relationships both straight and LGBT presented in a mostly normal way. I liked that Hime wouldn't date because she was worried about her vulva - usually anime like this takes the "OMG WE MIGHT HOLD HANDS!!" route for relationships, so at least she was thinking about sex and nobody thought that was unusual or strange.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the in general idea of Sassassul being a cool addition, with a lot of interesting themes.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
Sassassul definitely adds to the cast by giving a different perspective. It looks like the Antarcticans are very rare in Japan so there more than a few rumors about them. The show does a good job of making you feel empathy for Sassassul who is a very nice person but also explains why people believe in those rumors. Granted the history lesson she gives for the Antarcticans does seem a bit fishy considering that she mentions that she isn't good with cold weather.
KML777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I like that the movie the group's watching paid homages to two of my favorite horror films: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (The shower attack scene) and John Carpenter's The Thing (The blood testing scene).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Using The Thing was especially neat since it takes place in Antarctica. Smile
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
From the review wrote:
Her stance is that he could be a committed painter and neglect the family, or he could be a half-assed painter and neglect her. If he's going to neglect her either way, he should at least make it in service of something. Poor Manami – she's had to grow up so fast, and her father is being irresponsible. A daughter shouldn't have to give up her adolescence in order to support her father's ambitions. At least she's making some friends. Hime, Nozomi, Kyouko and Sassasul seem perfectly happy to tag along while Manami babysits.

I wasn't entirely sure if that was what the anime went for, but in the manga, she's chastising him for not either going full out painting or being a parent -- she's basically saying he's doing poorly at both while relying on government support to make up the economical difference. Basically, she's lecturing her father for not making his children hate him because of his career -- for not being that dedicated to it. (Which is an unreasonable request regardless of how you look at it.)

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the anime will feature the conversation Manami had with a friend of hers, where she basically asked Manami if she wasn't being a bit arrogant about that particular opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8