• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
That's how I thought it was always pronounced, like "visor", you know, a face mask. Wink

Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far, and hope to continue doing so. I also was a bit amused by the spoilerific ending, a warning to anime-only folks, don't watch that ending if you care about being spoiled.
Sky~2~High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. I just finished episode 109 of Bleach, and from the looks of it (based on the appearance of a particular character at the end of the ep. plus the preview) WE'RE BACK TO THE MANGA! Not to turn this into a VS topic, but as it stands we have roughly 50 episodes of filler for Bleach, whereas Naruto we have close to 100 and it's still going. At this point Naruto will really need to step up as even the manga itself has gotten a bit stale in my opinion. My friend and I just got really excited when we finished 109 so I thought I would share the good news.

Edit: I changed my post to say 50 eps. of filler as opposed to 60. It's late and for some reason that means I can't count.

Hell yeah man...But let me tell you...I just got done watching ep 110 and damn...It's about time the anime moved onto something more interesting....I can't wait for ep. 111 Anime smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
That's how I thought it was always pronounced, like "visor", you know, a face mask. Wink

I've always pronounced it like "wizard" with a "v" just like I pronounce my name like "emerge" with a "j". Pronouncing it like "visor" is more fitting though.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It seems like manga sometimes have different names for things than the anime. Since Death Note is the only manga I've ever read its really the only example I can cite but it works well enough.

Minor spoilers for anyone who is just now starting to (or hasn't yet) watch/read Death Note:

spoiler[The detective that followed Light went by Ray Penbar in the anime but in the manga it has him named Raye Penber.] It's fairly insignificant but its a pretty apt exmple.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Was it actually writen in English in either version or would that can fansub/scanlation inconsistancy (with the Deathnote thing I mean)? After all, both of those names would be writen identically in Japanese.

I could see them changing it though, because the mangaka used a lot of English names and stuff without fully researching them in advance (not that I blame him), and if he later found out that there was a more fitting version of the name he might have wanted to change it.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[In episode 4, Ray shows his FBI badge to Light and it is spelled as Ray Penbar in English handwriting.] So I don't really know what created the discrepancy. The one in the manga sounds more like how the name is said with a Japanese accent but the one in the anime is definitely a more proper way to spell it.
Sky~2~High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I thought the Bount arc was pretty good. It carries a lot of the same atmosphere that the franchise establishes earlier. While it's certainly no Soul Society arc, I also wasn't bored in the least bit. I found the villains enjoyable and thought some of the fights and plot twists were well executed (spoiler[ didn't expect to see Hollow Ichigo make some brief appearances]). It's probably my favorite filler of any shounen anime, thus far.

But from what a friend of mine has tried to spoil for me in bits and pieces just for the sake of aggitating me, I'm also eager to see the central story stuff get animated (spoiler[ lots of references to Hollow Ichigo and Aizen]).

Very true....I almost didn't notice that the whole bouto thing was a filler until evrybody started saying that it was....I actually liked it very much...But this new thing thats coming out like in ep 110 when spoiler[ Tatsuki can see Ichigo as a shinigami and when Ishida almost got killed until his dad of all people stepped in and showed his awesome powers]

I can't wait for ep 111
kolibri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm totally loving it Smile
Ohoni wrote:
Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far, and hope to continue doing so. I also was a bit amused by the spoilerific ending, a warning to anime-only folks, don't watch that ending if you care about being spoiled.

I don't read scanlations so I don't know what's coming ahead - but when it's in the anime endings I don't consider it to be a spoiler, more of a teaser. Like in the second ending that has Ichigo with Zangetsu, several episodes before he appears. Now it would be a spoiler if someone said to me "whoa, did you know that Ichigo's dad is..." (and I don't know what he is, but it looks interesting Smile).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Saw episode 110 yesterday, and I have to say it was great! Looking forward to the return of Hollows. While the Bount were okay, the Hollows just feel a lot creepier (probably on purpose from the production crew Razz). I don't read scanlations either, so yeah, you guys that do have a tremendous advantage. But hey, I like to be surprised, and I'm sure this new arc won't dissappoint. I just hope they don't make too many references to the filler seeing as how spoiler[ they still kept those three Mod Souls around].
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, the Bleach filler wasn't all that bad - with the exception of the first 10 episodes of it - when they first contended with Urahara's dolls. But after that, it was alright.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Saw episode 110 yesterday, and I have to say it was great! Looking forward to the return of Hollows. While the Bount were okay, the Hollows just feel a lot creepier (probably on purpose from the production crew Razz).

If you are talking about spoiler[Grand Fisher's] return, I think spoiler[he's the opposite of a Vaizard. I think he's a hollow who gained shinigami powers (notice how he had a sword). I believe they are called Arrancars.]. In short, they are creepier for a reason. I don't read the scanlations either, but I've been spoiled on a few things due to people's inability to use spoiler tags. But next episode should reveal the biggest one I know, with the others being inconsequential.

Quote:
I don't read scanlations either, so yeah, you guys that do have a tremendous advantage. But hey, I like to be surprised, and I'm sure this new arc won't dissappoint.

A lot of people who read the scans seem to be a bit disappointed at the direction things go, but I'm liking things so far.

Quote:
I just hope they don't make too many references to the filler seeing as how spoiler[ they still kept those three Mod Souls around].

I think they are going to use them for comedy purposes and to help drag things out. Because if the anime goes through the manga chapters as quickly as the Soul Society arc did, it could catch up real fast. That, or spoiler[they will get killed off soon]. But I suspect the former. If they keep them around, they could use them and spoiler[the remaining Bounto and Ran'Tao] for a future filler arc.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The biggest thing Bleach filler has going for it is that at least it was a single cohesive story. It also had some pretty cool fights and I'd say anyone who gave it chance should have been able to mildly enjoy it. Naruto filler isn't even an arc, its just a never ending stream of loosely connected crap and has pretty much killed off any interest in the characters until the time skip (and I haven't even watched most of it.)

I really wish they would have taken a break or actually consulted the mangaka and have him design some characters and outline a story or two for them to animate.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
After watching 110, I gotta say I found myself in a certain level of disbelief. It's difficult to believe that we're finally moving forward. The episode also felt transitional to me, which is a good thing. I'm a little annoyed that the mod souls are still around, I guess it's just to say that you can't toss away the Bounto arc (but as we all know you can). Also am I the only one who always read and saw "Vaizards" as is? This is the first time I've ever heard of "Vizard." I'm disappointed that we have a new ending, seeing as how I really liked the last one. Is it just me, or are shows getting more singles these days? Is it some sort of contractual deal? Are the songs made with the series in mind, or is the single made and then a deal is made to include it as an opening/closing single for the show? I'd be curious as to how it's all handled.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Is it just me, or are shows getting more singles these days? Is it some sort of contractual deal? Are the songs made with the series in mind, or is the single made and then a deal is made to include it as an opening/closing single for the show? I'd be curious as to how it's all handled.

In many instances it's a case of media convergence, where large media companies own, say, movie production companies, record labels, tv stations, etc. So if one arm of the company is producing an anime that needs theme music, it makes sense to promote one of the artists from the company's record label. Plus, if the label wants to promote an up-and-coming artist, it's a great way to get them some exposure. Now I'm not saying this is the case in all situations, but it does play a part.

And in response to some of the other comments, for as much as I complained about the fillers, I have to admit that some of the fights at the end of the arc were pretty good (Zaraki v. the hoodie guy, Mayuri v. the guy with the stone fish). Not my favorites, mind, but still pretty good. Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
Mayuri v. the guy with the stone fish

That was easily one of my favorite fights from the filler. He's just fun to watch, he's so bizarre looking, every time he opens his mouth I expect Sgt. Frogs voice to come out. I just love the way he plays with his opponents head as if they're nothing more than just objects for him to dissect and take apart. Plus he's got one of the creepiest bankai to date.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 42