• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actions Speak Louder than Words #BlackLivesMatter

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
This is no profound statement, but it looks like the George Floyd tragedy may finally be for African-Americans what #metoo was for sexual assault/harassment. Something feels different, like a breaking point has been reached. Surely to God, an awareness has seeped into police departments that restraint methods and how black suspects (and hopefully other vulnerable groups, like those suffering from mental heath issues, that make interaction with police officers so potentially dangerous) are handled need to be looked at. Proper screening of candidates, proper training of officers. Real consequences when things go south for no good reason. Let's hope.
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
And vigilantism is illegal. Said person's cousin would more than likely go to jail on manslaughter if he shot and killed the guy robbing him depending on which state they lived in and the situation.

And that's the world we live in. A guy barges into your home or your store or your friend's/family's store or home, and you shoot him, you're guilty of manslaughter and vigilantism.

A white cop slowly suffocates a surrendering, unarmed black man to death who committed no crime in the first place, well, he was "fearing for his life" so it's a-okay!
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

And there are plenty of people who, with well-founded skepticism of the police, would rather call their cousin with a gun to help than a stranger cop with a gun that is half-likely to shoot them despite them being the one to call it in. Just try to listen to a myriad of PoC experiences, and you will find that for some people, their survival depends on not calling the cops unless absolutely necessary.

MPD150 is an example of what dismantling the police would actually look like (ie. a gradual transition).

So you support vigilante justice, then?

If you believe I am including myself where I said "several people." I'm not. Nor did I comment positively or negatively on this phenomenon. Also, people typically recognize defending your property or person, or assisting a third party to do so, not as vigilante justice. The important observation is that many people see cops as bad or worse than what the law sees as vigilantes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
MPD150 is an example of what dismantling the police would actually look like (ie. a gradual transition).

I agree with some of the aims of the MPD150 project, but it too strongly counts on its social arm to bring about conditions where armed police would not be required. There will always be plenty of people that chose to do evil things, and no amount of social engineering is going to change that. While enacting some of their aims would be helpful, their ultimate aim would make us a prey society for criminals, and people would flee to walled security enclaves (communities) to be safe. Not too mention what would happen to those who cannot afford the security fees for admission.

We all saw the video of what happened, there was plenty of probable cause to arrest all four officers that same day. The supervisor of those officers should be fired, the police chief should be fired, and the mayor and governor should be voted out of office. The mayor and governor could have forced the police chief to make the arrests, but ultimately did't, until it was too late to matter. Anybody with brains, knows you don't do that to the human neck, so essentially we watched that police officer murder him on TV. That should have been plain to the mayor and governor.

Personally, I would have no problem with the protesters beating up the looters, arsonists, and agitators. It really is not safe to go anywhere retail or public wise right now. In our local area, people were trying to drum up a looting fest on social media at our shopping mall. So it was closed down, boarded up, and surrounded by city and state police.

So while some of you will be going out and protesting, some of us will be bunkering down in our homes, pretending we are there due to the Covid virus.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

Just read it. It's not how it would look like, it's how they imagine it would happen if everything were to go their way. Which it won't, because there's some spectacular lack of understanding of criminology and social psychology in general.

It is the responsibility of the status quo to continually justify itself. As should be plain at this point, the status quo has shown itself to many people to be hazardous to their health. Thus they are justified in changing it, even radically so. So any imagined issues you percieve with the plan pale in comparison to the very real issues being experienced by the status quo.

Last edited by Jeff Bauersfeld on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Sir Winston C'thulhu wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
And vigilantism is illegal. Said person's cousin would more than likely go to jail on manslaughter if he shot and killed the guy robbing him depending on which state they lived in and the situation.

And that's the world we live in. A guy barges into your home or your store or your friend's/family's store or home, and you shoot him, you're guilty of manslaughter and vigilantism.

A white cop slowly suffocates a surrendering, unarmed black man to death who committed no crime in the first place, well, he was "fearing for his life" so it's a-okay!

Couldn't have said it better.

Also, El Hermano, I can definitely see where what I said implied that you were not a minority yourself. My apologizes. We can all, myself including, listen to more and more viewpoints from PoC, since they are far from a monolith and can show us where parts our positions can come from a place of privilege. Being able to trust the cops is a privilege I may enjoy, but I know that many do not.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
It is very unsettling to see what is happening in the U.S. right now, I live in South America so I do not have any experience with racism against me and I haven't met many black people in my life, but it is very sad to see the injustices against them, it is truly perplexing how this kind of violence against afro-americans happens in this day and age.
I do support all of the protesters who march in the name of the BLM movement, although the destruction of property and the looting of business reminds me the riots that my country faced in the early 2000s, though the riots here were caused due to economic problems, I know some people whose business never recovered from those riots even after almost 20 years and I fear that the same can happen to the same small business owners in the U.S.
I do not have many resources, but I hope that George Floyd's family can find justice and that the protestors can achieve their goals in a peaceful manner. We're also facing a serious global pandemic so everybody must also take preacautions if they plan to go to protest.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

Just read it. It's not how it would look like, it's how they imagine it would happen if everything were to go their way. Which it won't, because there's some spectacular lack of understanding of criminology and social psychology in general.

It is the responsibility of the status quo to continually justify itself. As should be plain at this point, the status quo has shown itself to many people to be hazardous to their health. Thus they are justified in changing it, even radically so. So any imagined issues you percieve with the plan pale in comparison to the very real issues being experienced by the status quo.

I'm reacting to their proposals not the idea of reforms. The issues I perceive if the plan was realized are much worse than the 'status quo', even for blacks. Unless people like to live in a gang-run society
Shaterri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:

Black people cannot choose not to see how law enforcement treats them.

But all of us, regardless of race, can influence how law enforcement treats us by respecting law enforcement and their authority, regardless of who is in the right or wrong in the situation. One of the main reasons why these police shooting happen is that people want to argue with police and escalate the situation rather than just going with the flow and doing what is requested of them....for the vast majority of situations.

One of the fundamental problems is, this is simply not true. Study after study has shown that POC are targeted more frequently by law enforcement and consistently have worse outcomes with the justice system even after compensating for conflating factors like income or education. I'll start by pointing you to https://5harad.com/papers/100M-stops.pdf and https://www.aclusocal.org/en/racial-profiling-lapd-study-racially-disparate-outcomes-los-angeles-police-department and https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/empirical_analysis_tables_figures.pdf as things I found with some quick searching, but you can find plenty more yourself.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
No one dislikes the reform of the police force, but I personally don't like the Black Lives Matter organization because they want to defund the police, the consequences of which are pretty obvious to me. I've lived in monorace third world countries, so trust me when I say this. If you render the police inept due to lack of funds, you won't have a society without policing. You'll have a society where gangs do the policing instead. The police is corrupt, but you're naive if you think that there aren't worse groups that will seize power when the police is gone. There has to be a middle ground between letting the police stay as they are or completely removing the organization.

The police are a gang.

Quote:
If anything, more funds will flow into the police force in the name of quelling future violent riots, so things like looting and arson are completely contradictory with the groups goals. Only peaceful protests are being helpful, but the impact of the peaceful protests are being drowned out by the effects of some of the riots (which ironically have lead to the death of black lives). Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. condemned violent riots for a reason.

I realize that is the whitewashed portrayal of King that is offered by American schools, but his feelings on "violent riots" were a little bit more nuanced than that. To wit:

Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote:
I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

He may have felt that violence alienated potential white allies (see, relatedly, his famous statement that "the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice" presented a greater obstacle than white supremacy and the Klan), but he did not flatly "condemn violent riots." On the contrary, he understood precisely why they occur and recognized that the real problem was not the riot but the conditions that led to it.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Let me ask you this - Who is going to protect you and your property when (and it will be a when) there are no police?

The police don't protect anything anyway. The ongoing unrest shows that well enough. People could loot every day if they wanted to. The police are powerless to stop it. What protects "me and my property" (lol) is the fact that on a typical day most people voluntarily adhere to the social contract. Only after society's consistent failure to uphold its end of the bargain do we reach a breaking point like this.

Quote:
When the wealthiest people of your society appear to side with your cause by demanding to defund the police, ask yourself what they have to lose by taking this position. In this case, they'll lose nothing because they have the resources to build higher/sturdier fences and hire personnel to guard their properties in the event that there are no more police. Most of the people that want to defund the police are the same people who stand to lose the most from not having them around. It's class warfare under the guise of BLM yet most of these protesters are too blind to see it.

You have this exactly backwards. The police are the foot soldiers of capital. They are here to protect a status quo order that has been engineered to benefit the wealthy and powerful. I'm not sure which "wealthiest people" you are referring to, but they can "appear" -- apt word choice, by the way -- to side with the cause because "appearances" cost them nothing. Later on, VoidSeeker accused ANN of cynically taking this position not out of conviction but in order to drive additional ad clicks. Whether or not that's fair to say about ANN, I don't know (it seems to me like a small enough operation that is under the control of the people producing the content for statements like the one they're making here to be genuine, but that's just my opinion), but it is certainly the reason why, say, Nike brought Colin Kaepernick on board. It's why every big company nowadays trips over itself to boost "Pride," when, within living memory of people posting in this very thread, the President of the United States treated AIDS deaths as a punchline (incidentally, Pride also emerged from a violent riot). "The wealthiest people of your society" collectively have no interest at heart except the preservation and continued growth of their wealth. You are right that this is class warfare, but you are totally misunderstanding which side of the war the police are on.

WizardOfOss wrote:
Thing is, I never lived in an era (or place) where black lives didn't matter. Most of us didn't. So what is there to forget?

Sure, there has always been racism, and there still is. And I would love to see that become a thing of the past. But to me, this focus on skin color just seems counterproductive. George Floyd wasn't just a black person, he was a human being. Just like you and me. That alone should have been enough reason to make his life matter.

You are living in such an era right this very moment. And all due respect, but I don't super expect denizens of the land of Zwarte Piet to have the most nuanced views on race relations. When I was a student at Utrecht University, I had a professor insist that Piet isn't racist because, well, there wasn't really a reason, he just isn't, which, lol.

As a white person, I have no real trouble existing in Europe (or anywhere else, for that matter), so I don't have any personal experience with European racism. I've heard it said by black Americans who have lived there that casual racism is ubiquitous, but that they generally don't sense the sort of raw hate underlying it that they get from many white Americans. So there's that, I guess (maybe that's what my professor really meant when she claimed that Piet wasn't racist). I once rented a room from a Portuguese guy who would talk about the sort of treatment he received in Germany, though, from Germans who saw his darker complexion and assumed he was Turkish. Race is a problem everywhere. If you don't see it, you are part of the problem. I don't mean this as an attack. I think in general we need to be more understanding of the fact that people don't know something until they've learned it, that white privilege is a thing that is, by design, basically invisible to white people until we are made aware of it, so I don't attribute any malice to your "all lives matter," "focusing on skin color is counterproductive," etc statements, but I think you ought to do some reading and educate yourself.

beholder242 wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:

Black people cannot choose not to see how law enforcement treats them.

But all of us, regardless of race, can influence how law enforcement treats us by respecting law enforcement and their authority, regardless of who is in the right or wrong in the situation. One of the main reasons why these police shooting happen is that people want to argue with police and escalate the situation rather than just going with the flow and doing what is requested of them....for the vast majority of situations.

People still believe this, even after cases in which black people who unequivocally "respected law enforcement and their authority" were still killed?

Quote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
George Floyd's skin color is why he was killed.

How do you know this? To make such a definitive statement, you must have specific knowledge of the mindset of the white cop. Did a witness to the incident report that the cop was using racist, demeaning language? Are you psychic and somehow can read the mind of the cop and know what he was thinking at the time? Or are you just projecting what you WANT the reason to be in order to justify and excuse the resulting chaos?

Bottom line is that this is your opinion, not a statement of irrefutable fact. Not yet, anyway. Perhaps something will be revealed during the trial which will support this. But until then, as I said, this is just opinion.

You completely misunderstand how race and racism color how people see the world and affect their actions in both obvious and subtle ways. You seem to conceive of racism as an overt mindset and intentional acts. It is much more than that. You should think of racism not as some kind of affirmative belief system, although in extreme cases it can be that too. Rather, it is more like a miasma that we all inhabit, even despite our best intentions. The people who are outright white supremacists are relatively few, yet racist outcomes still pervade our society: see, for instance, studies showing that when identical resumes are submitted for the same job opening under a stereotypically "white" name and a stereotypically "black" name, the "white" resume gets substantially more callbacks; or studies showing that a significant number of doctors hold unscientific beliefs about black skin being thicker and tougher than white skin; or, yes, the fact that police in this country kill people a lot more often than police in other countries, and they are disproportionately killing black people. Am I a psychic who can look into Gauvin's mind to know what he was consciously thinking in that moment? No. Have I seen evidence that he was shouting racial epithets or explaining that he was going to kill George Floyd for being black? No. Can I read between the lines? Yes.

To call it an "opinion" that George Floyd was killed for being black is meant to rob the statement of the force of truth by suggesting that there is no definitive answer here and that reasonable minds can differ and c'est la vie. But the ambiguity or lack of "evidence" that you are talking about doesn't really speak to whether this is a "fact" vs an "opinion," it just raises questions of probability and apportioning blame across multiple potential causes (I don't know what those other causes are, but I welcome you to raise them if you feel like it). Like, was George Floyd killed 100% because he was black? Or 70% because he was black and 30% because of some other reason? Or 60% because he was black and 25% because of some other reason and 15% because of some third reason? I must admit that I don't know, but more importantly, I also don't care, because these kinds of abstract questions only serve to obscure the point anyway. To posit that his death was 0% because he was black seems to me like it would be very difficult to coherently and honestly defend. Moreover, I don't think it ultimately matters. George Floyd represents the straw that broke the camel's back this time, but people are not demonstrating over one man's death, they're demonstrating over countless deaths and over a century and a half of second-class citizenship that was preceded by centuries more of slavery and all the crimes that have been committed to build and maintain white supremacy that have never been redressed. To say that we can't know that George Floyd was killed because he was black, even if true, would still be well beside the point.

El Hermano wrote:
Correct, America has social workers already. And I also don't see what exactly a social worker is going to do during a robbery or a shooting. If you give them a gun and the authority to arrest people then you've made them a police officer in all but name only at that point.

My brother is the biggest anti-law enforcement guy around, but when his truck was being broken into last year he still immediately called the cops for help while he just watched from the window. I find everyone's all for dismantling a system they don't like until they need help from it.

The point of hiring more social workers is to prevent a robbery or shooting from happening in the first place. Crime is not some inexplicable law of nature. Crime has causes. The goal of hiring more social workers (and, it should be added, properly funding their work) is to address those root causes. Policing is, by its nature, reactionary. That the knee-jerk reaction to defunding police and reallocating those funds elsewhere is "but what about all the crime?" is not really a strong argument against defunding, it is just evidence of a profound lack of imagination.

Your brother called the cops because that is the system we live under now. If someone broke into my house right now, I would also call the cops, because that is the best option currently available to me. But we can build a better world with better options.

encrypted12345 wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
People calling for the abolition of police do have plans on how to deal with society’s needs, including replacing cops with social workers [...].
This cannot be emphasized enough.....

Don't you already have social workers? Police has a completely different function.

Considering that it's impossible to contact my supposed social worker by phone considering it only leads to machine that asks me to push numbers and is missing a way to access any sort of operator, I sincerely doubt a police force of social workers will be any better than the one they have now. I had to reschedule meetings for about 4 months before I could resolve the issue, and the twist is that I got a letter in the mail saying that the issue was resolved without a single meeting.

Again, this is a lack of imagination. The idea is not to build "a police force of social workers," but to replace police with an array of better solutions, including, but not limited to, social workers (who would, as mentioned above, also need to be adequately funded, which is generally not currently the case and is probably the reason you are not able to reach your social worker).

El Hermano wrote:

The law recognizes a right to self-defense, including a right to meet deadly force with deadly force. But if you kill somebody who is not a threat to your life, then yes, you should be prosecuted for that.
yuricon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
One of the consistently frustrating things about corporate messages is that companies will say "we support" but then fail to offer support.

While you're highlighting black community members and creators, please also remember to give work to those black writers and bloggers and vloggers and podcasters. There are a lot of voices who aren't heard regularly.

Thank you for your efforts in this regard and I look forward to seeing what ANN does in the future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I encourage anyone, on either side of the arguement, who is discussing abolition of police to read the researched and professional explanations of how that might work.

No one is calling for a situation where social workers are sent to deal with dangerous crimes in progress.

No one is calling for the overnight abolition of police forces (no one with any brains at least).

I do not personally support the #AbolishPolice movement. I think it's unrealistic. But I think a huge amout of the ideas that have been proposed by the movement are very attainable.

The gradual shifting of budget form over-militarized police forces to social programs designed to address as many of the root causes of crime as possible.

As pointed out earlier, https://www.mpd150.com/ is a good resource. If you Google "abolish the police," you'll find a variety of pragmatic explanations as to how this would actually work, as opposed to reactionarry and uneducated "who will you call if... ?" statements.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Moderation Note:

Hi all,

This hasn't gotten out of hand yet (thank you), but I'm very concerned that it will decend into cyclical arguement at some point. Regardless of your position, I would like you to consider simply not replying to anyone who isn't showing any sign of understanding your position. There's no need to "get the last word in," and even if you do, it doesn't mean you won or were right.

And if you are replying to someone, please make sure you aren't saying something that has already been said.

-T

@Beholder252, I removed one of your comments because you either didn't properly read the other posters post, or you intentionally mischaracterized it. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and you are more than welcome to rewrite that post with a reply that doesn't mischaracterize the original statement. If you need a copy of your original post for reference, PM me.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That's not entirely true. From what I've read, Floyd was using counterfeit money. That being said, if the police are going to handle someone who committed a crime, they need to make sure the punishment fits the crime. There's no sense in outright murdering someone over something as petty as using fake money, or for any reason at all for that matter.
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I encourage anyone, on either side of the arguement, who is discussing abolition of police to read the researched and professional explanations of how that might work.

To be fair, I personally never stated to want to abolish the police, but rather to defund them.

They don't need f***ing tanks, landmines, and US Army surplus gear when there's a protest going on. They're there to protect and serve, not search and destroy.

And this is just my theory/opinion, but a lot of it has to do with the psychology of it all once they get their hands on new toys. Having all that crap, and such available access to it, emboldens them to do whatever they want without fear of repercussions. And by acting on it, they feel they're sending a message that they don't enforce the law, they are the law.

By defunding the shit out of them and only giving them access to the basic essentials of law enforcement, I feel would bring them down to reality.

It won't stop the rampant racism, but it WILL put a cork on the god mentality which is certainly a step forward in putting a damper on them feeling they can get away with everything.

Just TODAY, another innocent black man was arrested - and had his neck knee-locked, right here in Florida. On camera. For the whole world to see. Clearly, despite the protests and backlash, the police don't feel any pressure whatsoever to start giving a shit, let alone change anything.

When a kid misbehaves, you take their toys away. It's time the police started getting theirs taken away.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13