• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jimkata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
I just watched Manyuu Hikenchou... DEAR.LORD.OH.MIGHTY!!!
Why Japan? WHY?!!!!
That was the stupidest, most insulting thing I've ever seen. It makes Seikon No Qwaser, who at least had decent battles and a cool main charatcer, look like Evangelion. There's bad, there's so-bad-it's-good, and then there's this.... this... THING!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
That's OK. Smile
And thank you for the explanation of the age breakdowns for book marketing for those particular age ranges. That does explain some of the book choices my 13-year-old's teachers have made over the past couple of years, and it makes the selections make a little more sense to me. Unfortunately, since my 13-year-old is an accelerated reader, she felt that some of the choices being presented in her English classes for 6th and 7th grader were "below" her and too easy.

Anytime! I knew that kiddy lit degree had to be good for something! Very Happy It's kind of a weird breakdown, if you ask me, but that's how they do it. *shrug* The same thing happened to me as to your daughter, which is how I ended up reading Clan of the Cave Bear waaaaay too young. But the good news is that it didn't harm me, and honestly, I'd give a 13 year old an adult book over most of the young adult stuff coming out right now. But we're totally off topic. PM me if you want to talk books! Wink

DmonHiro wrote:
I just watched Manyuu Hikenchou... DEAR.LORD.OH.MIGHTY!!!
Why Japan? WHY?!!!!

You speak to my soul, DmonHiro. It made R-15 look almost wholesome...ok, maybe not, but Manyu Hiken Chou is now a phrase of terror around my house. Must learn not to preview anime in the living room during family vacations...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
The people at Troma Films only dream they could create something as offensive and creepy as Manyuu Hiken Chou
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
The people at Troma Films only dream they could create something as offensive and creepy as Manyuu Hiken Chou

Of course if they found out that this show exists they might give it a try (I might pay to see that). I still have yet to see Manyuu due to the offensive censorship that is present making scenes unwatchable. Still can't wait for the uncensored version.

Quote:
It made R-15 look almost wholesome

R-15 is not that bad of a series (it is turn your brain off guilty pleasure shows) but most of the fun is ruined by unnecessary censorship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

R-15 is not that bad of a series (it is turn your brain off guilty pleasure shows) but most of the fun is ruined by unnecessary censorship.

I guess I could see it that way. Didn't do it for me, though - mostly I was creeped out by his fantasies. If I guy is thinking that way about me, I DO NOT want to know.

In other news, perhaps the ladies of Manyu Hiken Chou could use this little item from the early 20th century. Check out the text in the lower right.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I guess I could see it that way. Didn't do it for me, though - mostly I was creeped out by his fantasies. If I guy is thinking that way about me, I DO NOT want to know.

I know it would not be that for everyone. I am one of the few that enjoyed R-15 (seems to be a small bunch)

FaytLein wrote:

Con going is best when you go with a group. Sadly, being the only fan on the peninsula makes it hard for me to find people to go with. But it is definately something everyone should experience once, I first went to Ota in '08 for JAM Project. And again in '09, and I had a blast both times (though I do seem to suffer injuries or almost get killed each time I go.)

A guy I used to work with went to a majority of the anime cons in a season (could go because of health and work coverage). I know a guy on the desk I do work goes as well but I wouldn't want to be seen with him.

Emerje wrote:
My one and only major complaint when it comes to Otakon is the food. The convention center doesn't allow food to be sold inside that doesn't come from their own vendor (which is pretty expensive as you can expect), not even in the dealers room which is a bummer if you're looking for Japanese snacks (accept for Hi-Chew, not sure how they get a booth there). And there aren't that many cheap options outside unless you want hot dogs. I had made some regular stops at the Super Fresh next to the hotel last year, but that's gone now so I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing for meals this year.

Emerje

Listed above with the dude I used to work with who went to Otakon told me that he always bought food before he went down so he would have stuff to eat in the hotel room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I know Zac thinks (thought?) I was just being "bitter anime fan", but I said quite a ways back that Viz has ALWAYS been pretty dismissive of the primary fanbase. One could argue that it hasn't really "hurt" them considering they're still around and hold a pretty dominant position in manga, altho I think that's more a function of their alliance with the Japanese parent companies and their catalog of titles, but they're not seriously hurting (in comparison to other companies aside from maybe FUNi).

But it'll be interesting to see if they finally are gonna make an effort to reconnect to the fanbase.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Listed above with the dude I used to work with who went to Otakon told me that he always bought food before he went down so he would have stuff to eat in the hotel room.

That's what I do for the "local" con, but unfortunately I have to fly in to Otakon so any food I get while there has to come from somewhere within reasonable walking distance of the hotel. Super Fresh is a small grocery store that I would buy food at and bring back to the hotel, but now that they're gone the options have been seriously cut short.

Emerje
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
My one and only major complaint when it comes to Otakon is the food. The convention center doesn't allow food to be sold inside that doesn't come from their own vendor (which is pretty expensive as you can expect), not even in the dealers room which is a bummer if you're looking for Japanese snacks (accept for Hi-Chew, not sure how they get a booth there). And there aren't that many cheap options outside unless you want hot dogs. I had made some regular stops at the Super Fresh next to the hotel last year, but that's gone now so I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing for meals this year.
Emerje

Hi-Chew pays a pretty big fee (to the convention center, not Otakon) to give away their product at Otakon (and most other convention-center cons they attend). Same with the folks marketing the HALO sodas a few years ago. Note that they are not *selling* those snacks, but rather giving away samples for marketing purposes.

There are quite a few nearby options (within very safe walking distance) for food, and a map with nearby food options is part of your convention program guide (and has been for almost a decade). We do our level best to keep it updated, but the economy has not been kind especially to the smaller food vendors at Harborplace. However, nearly every fast-food or mom-and-pop place within a 10-block radius runs specials for our members. California Tortilla (which actively courts us and even runs breakfast specials!) is right across the street, and there's Potbelly within a few blocks, plus a large number of places in the inner harbor.

Personally? I'm hoping the LA food truck culture catches on in Baltimore; there are a few already, and with luck they'll be around. There are some city rules that are apparently in the process of being changed about food vendors, as well -- we'd love to see the great, cheap, tasty ballpark vendors at Otakon, but hopefully without the stadium insanity.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

That's what I do for the "local" con, but unfortunately I have to fly in to Otakon so any food I get while there has to come from somewhere within reasonable walking distance of the hotel. Super Fresh is a small grocery store that I would buy food at and bring back to the hotel, but now that they're gone the options have been seriously cut short.

Emerje

Check out the Charm City Circulator -- a free local tourist zone bus -- and plan a little time to go shopping. Bring a cheap bag cooler (that can pack up small) and stock up when you arrive.

Heck, it's probably cheaper to take a taxi somewhere to get food than it is to buy it in the BCC. Smile
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh girls, that was one harsh description of a potentially excellent series (Kamisama no Memo-Chou)! You sure succeeded at making it sound like the second-to-worst anime ever. (seems like Manyū Hiken-chō is a pretty tough one to beat Razz).

The double-length first episode was actually very good, and I thought that Theron's review of it was pretty spot-on. So Zac, you should definitely check it out (or at least a read a mini-review or two) before marking it down as garbage. I went into this series with little to no expectations, but this episode really caught me off guard, I thought it was awesome.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Oh girls, that was one harsh description of a potentially excellent series (Kamisama no Memo-Chou)! You sure succeeded at making it sound like the second-to-worst anime ever. (seems like Manyū Hiken-chō is a pretty tough one to beat Razz).

Sorry, Fireaxe! I think I'm a bit picky when it comes to mysteries, and, well, Kamisama no Memo-Chou just kind of left me cold. But I didn't mean to make it sound like it was vying with Manyu Hiken Chou for astounding badness. Wink I put it in the pretty firmly "mediocre" category. I just couldn't find anything that thrilled me about it. (I did give it two episodes, though!) I may rent the DVDs and see if I like it better in large chunks.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

Sorry, Fireaxe! I think I'm a bit picky when it comes to mysteries, and, well, Kamisama no Memo-Chou just kind of left me cold. But I didn't mean to make it sound like it was vying with Manyu Hiken Chou for astounding badness. Wink I put it in the pretty firmly "mediocre" category. I just couldn't find anything that thrilled me about it. (I did give it two episodes, though!) I may rent the DVDs and see if I like it better in large chunks.

Haha, don't sweat it, I was just joking. Smile
Though it true that I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes. I jumped right into the story/mystery and thought that as a whole it was original and very well produced. Theron actually said it best:
Quote:
What will likely catch viewer attention the most, though, is the way the episode takes certain concepts that are widely-used in anime - such as the seemingly perfect girl - and utterly shatters them.

That's the part I found particularly compelling about the show, but yeah, I suppose i can't be everyone's cup of tea.
Oh well, I guess I just wanted to point out that maybe there is room for a middle ground, and that it can't be THAT bad. Razz
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Yeah, I found the cheap eats department to be lacking. But, they made up for it by having a bar/grill across the street (I can't remember the name) which provided me with plenty of Yuengling. Since I can't get it where I live, that's all I needed for dinner!

My only real complaint with Otakon was there were too damn many panhandlers bothering me around the convention center. Round em up and throw em in the harbor, whatever, just get them out of there. I do not care to be bothered by people begging for money when I'm trying to enjoy myself at a convention that I paid a good deal of money to attend, money that I worked hard to earn. If that makes me an uncaring asshole, so be it. I'd just as soon spit on them than give them a single penny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4