• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mastering the Universe with Clarine and Matt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakugo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I am sure there is a valid or excusable reason for it, but it is clearly a big negative to weigh in deciding whether to buy it or not.

It isn't that the Blu-ray is "darker", only that the DVD boosted the contrast and color saturation. As you can see it produces a brighter, flashier image, but does so at the cost of color fidelity and "clips" white areas of the screen, blowing out details that would otherwise still exist in the video signal.

If you want the look of the Orange Brick, just set your TV to "Vivid" and you're all set. You can distort the Blu-ray to look like the DVD, but you can't turn the distortions down on the DVD to make it look like the Blu-ray.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed this one. I like the technical details, and having dabbled in the video editing, encoding, conversion, and DVD authoring, and the like, it was cool to hear about how the industry handles the process.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they ever fixed Samurai 7. I remember when it came out, one of the episodes the audio sync was off...and I mailed it back to them, and they mailed me another disc that had the same problem, haha...(Note: Was not a player problem, even reviewers were complaining about it...)
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Got chance to listen to this podcast, this was very interesting to hear on how companies like Funimation handle video production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
I am sure there is a valid or excusable reason for it, but it is clearly a big negative to weigh in deciding whether to buy it or not.

It isn't that the Blu-ray is "darker", only that the DVD boosted the contrast and color saturation. As you can see it produces a brighter, flashier image, but does so at the cost of color fidelity and "clips" white areas of the screen, blowing out details that would otherwise still exist in the video signal.

If you want the look of the Orange Brick, just set your TV to "Vivid" and you're all set. You can distort the Blu-ray to look like the DVD, but you can't turn the distortions down on the DVD to make it look like the Blu-ray.

I am not saying that the Orange Brick is better, just that it was the closest version to the TV experience, despite the cropping and the other stuff.

I have watched Dragon Ball Z on cable TV, and it never looked as dark as that BluRay example picture. So either the picture is inaccurate, or the BluRay is actually darker, than what was broadcast on TV.

I am sure there are those of you who appreciate the more detail that the BD provides and will put up with darker picture. But for me it is a distraction, that I don't have to put up with.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I am not saying that the Orange Brick is better, just that it was the closest version to the TV experience, despite the cropping and the other stuff.

I have watched Dragon Ball Z on cable TV, and it never looked as dark as that BluRay example picture. So either the picture is inaccurate, or the BluRay is actually darker, than what was broadcast on TV.

I am sure there are those of you who appreciate the more detail that the BD provides and will put up with darker picture. But for me it is a distraction, that I don't have to put up with.

If you are going to comment, please go spend a few hours educating yourself on the subject matter first, lest you look like an idiot.

As for the the picture, are you using a color calibrated monitor set to display images with correct color, contrast, and brightness in the lighting condition that you are in? Probably not...this is the reason for TV calibration, so you get the closest replication to the original displayed in the environment in which the TV is being used. While you may think it's a tad dark, YOU CAN FIX THAT WITH THE SETTINGS ON YOUR TV! That said, a destroyed image that has been over-saturated and the detail destroyed due to the source's brightness and contrast being set incorrectly CANNOT be fixed for those who wish to see the PQ how it was intended to be, which is exactly what happened with the orange brick releases.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@l33tmeatwad:

If you are going to comment, please go spend a while contemplating the efficacy of kicking and screaming first, lest you look like the product of poor parenting. Simply repeating what has been said here and elsewhere numerous times on the subject is not productive. You don't educate people by shoving terminology and assertions down their throats, either.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@l33tmeatwad:

If you are going to comment, please go spend a while contemplating the efficacy of kicking and screaming first, lest you look like the product of poor parenting. Simply repeating what has been said here and elsewhere numerous times on the subject is not productive. You don't educate people by shoving terminology and assertions down their throats, either.

I'm not sure how dumbed down my comment can get, if they don't understand color, contrast, and brightness then I'm not sure what they can understand about TVs. As for "screaming", I used caps for emphasis, not to scream, however on the net I'm sure that can often be misunderstood. When it comes to parenting, that's faulty logic to assume what one comment says makes their "parents" look bad. Considering the individual driven culture of the US, the way someone raises their child has much less impact on how someone acts as an adult. If you are going to toss around personal insults then do it by pm, lest you look like a compete jerk.

When it comes to repetition of thing said, it's not about not having read them, it's about agreeing with the others and joining in to help make the point. Most people online don't take one person seriously, but if 2-10 people all make the same point, they tend to take it a bit more seriously and sometimes might look into it to educate themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4