• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Heat Guy J hits MTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychotrunks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but how long has CN been showing anime???? At least CN shows official dubbed anime and dosen't change the core aspects of the show.And all of a sudden MTV grabs the rights to air a GREAT anime and is going to change it all around (i.e. city guy). It's just like 4-kids entertainment butchering Shaman King and other animes just for profit. It really is a shame. It just shows how MTV really is. It's just a slap in the face.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
psychotrunks wrote:
In my view, I see this as MTV trying to cash in on anime. Very evil

Cartoon Network is also "cashing in" on anime by licensing shows for broadcast. Is CN also very evil?

We don't see CN licencing anime and putting them on Boomerang, do we?
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
psychotrunks wrote:
Yeah but how long has CN been showing anime???? At least CN shows official dubbed anime and dosen't change the core aspects of the show.And all of a sudden MTV grabs the rights to air a GREAT anime and is going to change it all around (i.e. city guy). It's just like 4-kids entertainment butchering Shaman King and other animes just for profit. It really is a shame. It just shows how MTV really is. It's just a slap in the face.

First of all, there is no indication that MTV has changed anything of the show. They did NOT change the name of the show to "The City Guy". "The City Guy" is actually the name of the first episode in the series; MTV's online schedule is just poorly constructed. The only slap in the face MTV has done thus far (at least in my opinion) is put it on MTV2. We'll have to wait until they actually air the series to see if anything else was done to it, but so far there's no reason to believe there will be.

Swordfish_II wrote:
We don't see CN licencing anime and putting them on Boomerang, do we?

I believe I said that myself once about "Lupin III". :lol:
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:02 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't for the popularity of Adult Swim, unoriginal networks like MTV would have anime in their line-ups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
psychotrunks wrote:
In my view, I see this as MTV trying to cash in on anime. Very evil

I agree. MTV is no longer a music channel, it is a pop culture channel. The only reason they are going to show anime is because they think its the new it thing, kind of like the comic book genre. It's probably the reason they became reality show whores.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I love this new fanboy attitude that somehow people trying to make money on anime is evil and that it's an artform magically produced for free by some unknown 3rd party that doesn't need to make money off of it to make more.

MTV is evil for airing unedited Heat Guy J episodes. Amazing. What will you idiots whine about next?

-Z
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
I just watched Heat Guy J and I think the show is pretty good but the MTV2 logo was so annoying. I could deal with it being in the upper right hand corner even though it sometimes cover up the action on the screen but the constant flashing was so distracting. After about ten minutes in to the show and it not going away I had to cover that corner so I would not see it flashing any more. I think I would rather rent Heat Guy J then watch it on MTV2 because of that logo. Did it bother anybody else or am I just being to sensitive to it?
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:20 am Reply with quote
i think its a good idea to start putting accouple anime shows on mtv

think of it, mtv isnt suppose to be for kids like cartoon newtork or wb are

it would be alowed to do things more like adult swim does but more earlier(for does of us that have school the next day)
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Godzilla wrote:
I just watched Heat Guy J and I think the show is pretty good but the MTV2 logo was so annoying.[Edit for space]Did it bother anybody else or am I just being to sensitive to it?

It didn't really bother me at all, but that's mostly because the show was constantly moving. I thought the show was good, and the only thing they actually did to the show was change the soundtrack from the origional music, but I thought they did a decent job considering most of the music fit the scene it was in. Other than that I really see no problem with it being on MTV except that it is preceeded by Bevis & Butthead and followed by Aeon Flux. But oh-well. I think MTV did a smart move with this one. They managed to snag a series that a good amount of our anime community was scrammbeling to see, aired it unedited (as far as content) we get one hour of it per week with new episodes each week( I find this very satisfying since CN usually airs their shows in batches, the best example being Inu-Yasha). Also, it is on friday night when Adult Swim isn't even scheduled, and it re-airs saturday morning(unless thay change that). Really, the only bad thing I see here is if people start complaining because they changed the music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure they changed the music? The music sounds exactly like the music used in the clips found on the [url=heatguyj.com]official website[/url].
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Are you sure they changed the music? The music sounds exactly like the music used in the clips found on the [url=heatguyj.com]official website[/url].

Actually I am not sure. I watched it with a friend of mine who (supposedly) watched it before hand and he commented that the music was different. I humored this because I didn't know myself and it sounded kind of different for an anime, but I could be wrong. If I am then there is absolutly NO reason to be upset about HGJ on MTV2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
himiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
So.....why did they skip 2 episodes?

I happened to notice in the ending credits of "Doll" that it said episode 5. For someone seeing the series for the first time, was there anything important in the two eps they skipped?
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I love this new fanboy attitude that somehow people trying to make money on anime is evil and that it's an artform magically produced for free by some unknown 3rd party that doesn't need to make money off of it to make more.

MTV is evil for airing unedited Heat Guy J episodes. Amazing. What will you idiots whine about next?

-Z

1. Actually, Mtv was evil before they even got Heat Guy J. 2.Apparently it's not unedited. I know it's for time and maybe they will improve their editing.
3. What I might whine about next? Whatever strikes my fancy.

I'll admit it's good to see another anime on tv. Is this only going to show on Mtv2 or on Mtv also?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4