• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release First Death Note DVD in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
The figures look to be something along the lines of trading figures, like little statues, though I can't seem to find exactly how big they are- still, we're basically getting a mirror of the Japanese release. As the japanese release didn't have pencilboards/soundtracks/etc, I don't think we'll be seeing those.

I don't know about that. I mean a lot of the times the R1 release gets more things bundled as well. Where the Japanese would often opt to sell those sorts of things separately, along with a bunch of other stuff. Also it is way too early to say what kind of extras will be included considering that they just publicly announced a date. Since figures take the most time and money to produce, especially if they make new designs(which I hope), it makes sense that it would be the only extra announcement the've made. As it is probably the only extra that is firm in the books, most likely because they already have started to pay for it. Pencilboards, soundtracks, and even artboxes can be put together relatively quickly compared to figures. So I don't think we will truely know what the extra content will be untill early to mid August, given the mid-late November date.

That said I don't think we will be seeing a soundtrack, since they already set the price. If we do it will most likely be a one song, two version disc included in every (LE). But with pencilboards, boxes and the like, I think it is way too early to tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Actually, given the price of the LE, I do think that a soundtrack can make it in there somewhere...

At least, I'm hoping it will since the music for this show was awesome.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
As it is probably the only extra that is firm in the books, most likely because they already have started to pay for it. Pencilboards, soundtracks, and even artboxes can be put together relatively quickly compared to figures. So I don't think we will truely know what the extra content will be untill early to mid August, given the mid-late November date.

If we were going to get a jampacked Limited Edition, it'd cost around 60 bucks.... the 39.98 price made me assume it'd be a mirror othe japanese edition. Although VIZ has more then enough time to play around with their release scheme [and do stuff like store exclusives, slipcovers, and goodness knows what else]. I am curious what kind of packaging variations we'll see for the Limited Editions [ie- different coverart, mabye a box of some sort with each volume, ala Manga Ent's GITS LE's]

Though the release has it stands is pretty nifty [being more or less the same as the R2's, but with a lower price, more episodes, and easier to get LE's]
Akukaze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
FYI---

Individually written, POLITE e-mails would work a LOT better then a form letter sent enmasse.

And sending letters through the mail would work even better [companies still include those mail-in response cards with their dvd's for a reason]

And yup, it's an Ocean dub. Anyone who bases clearly uses the "Jump to Conclusions" mat too much. I'm more for wait and see, with a bit of leaning to "it'll be great!" given how well Ocean dubs usually turn out, many of their preferred actors having lengthy voice actor experience in both anime and domestic animation.

Office Space reference for the win. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
i can't decide...get the first 13 episodes subbed from a website I know for $30

or get volume 1 dub with figure for $40

*Sigh* I guess there's always eBay for the figures....
And what website would that be? Probably one that you can't type on these forums because it sells bootlegged DVDs. If you're going to pay money for anime, at least pay it to the right people (Viz in this case), and if you don't want to pay Viz's prices, at least don't give money to bootleggers.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
population_tire wrote:

And what website would that be? Probably one that you can't type on these forums because it sells bootlegged DVDs. If you're going to pay money for anime, at least pay it to the right people (Viz in this case), and if you don't want to pay Viz's prices, at least don't give money to bootleggers.
it's not a bootlegged site, they sell DVDs from Japan. I just didn't know if I was allowed to post links to stuff like that or not so I didn't.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
population_tire wrote:

it's not a bootlegged site, they sell DVDs from Japan. I just didn't know if I was allowed to post links to stuff like that or not so I didn't.

They are bootlegs because the original Japanese DVD doesn't come with subtitle at all. Also there is a import bootleg of Death Note part 1 (12 episode) being sold for around 30 bucks. Here is a good thread to read through to spot bootleg "import" anime.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
population_tire wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
population_tire wrote:

They are bootlegs because the original Japanese DVD doesn't come with subtitle at all. Also there is a import bootleg of Death Note part 1 (12 episode) being sold for around 30 bucks. Here is a good thread to read through to spot bootleg "import" anime.

The fact you said it didn't have subtitles is enough for me. Plus i tried to tell you what it was but it came up saying something like it was a bootleg site. I guess I won't be buying from them anymore...

*waits for november*
Akasan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
unsinkmbrown wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I was kind of hoping to see 5 episodes on the first DVD, as that would've been more promising for those who want more value and a lower disc count. As it stands, we probably won't see this in 8 discs, as that would need to have 6 discs * 5 per disc + 1*4 + 1*3 = 37. So we could see

8*4 + 1*5 = 37 on 9, or
7*4 + 3*3 = 37 on 10, or
4*4 + 7*3 = 37 on 11, or in what would probably be worst case scenario,
1*4 + 11*3 = 37 on 12.

Now take into account the cost of buying all those DVDs.

9 discs - $225 reg, $360 LE
10 discs - $250 reg, $400 LE
11 discs - $275 reg, $440 LE
12 discs - $300 reg, $480 LE

I might just stick to the downloads $2 each for 37 eps = $74. I'm a dub fan, but I don't see it being worth 3 times as much to get the DVDs. I also don't have the shelf space to devote to (worst case) up to 12 cases for only one series.

I will be so happy on the day the anime companies begin to release anime like any other TV series in the US: one case, usually no more than 6 DVDs, priced (although this is probably too much to ask) at an average of $50. I think anime would sell so much better under those circumstances.

Thank you for posting this. Makes things easier to think about... Damn...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4