• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2007-12-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
It's really depressing about "classic" anime never getting licensed. There are a ton of old series (Rose of Versailles, Violinist of Hameln and especially Akazukin ChaCha) that I've been dying to see for ages. Who is it who's re-releasing Unico these days...? Maybe I could put my faith in them...

And concerning FF/Anime, I find it kind of funny the way that some anime fans wholeheartedly embrace (nay, GLOMP) Kingdom Hearts while spitting at the very mention of Disney. It's sorta weird.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Berserk: I'm just Final Fantasie'd out myself.

High Five! Very Happy
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, to address part of the column, Final Fantasy XII is pretty good. I liked it, and I am hard to please.

As for non-anime characters at anime conventions, I see it akin to non D&D-based characters at GenCon. Many anime conventions have expanded to absorb other sections of geek culture. Add to that that several movies (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) have had comic adaptations, and most groups are now tossing comics in with manga as something for everyone, and you get some weird blending. And besides, how can you say Kitty Vader is not anime inspired?
ankoku22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:

And finally, I think that the Dragonball movie is going to come out WAY too late to catch any of the original hype it might have had a few years back. It's not going to be good enough to attract any new viewers (and depending on how it's played out, the characters' relationships might go over everyone's heads), and I think the folks who saw the anime will have aged and moved past it. I just think it's too little, too late.

Speed Racer's original fan base is much older than Dragon Ball's and they've undoubtedly moved on, but a film based upon the franchise is still being produced. The recently-released Alvin and the Chipmunks is based on a cartoon series that hasn't been really big in close to two decades, yet it managed to pull in $44.3 million in its first weekend. I don't know if the Dragon Ball film will succeed or fail, but if it does fail, I doubt it'll have anything to do with older DB fans moving past it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I think most people have forgotten this already, or were too young to have even heard of it, but Super Mario Brothers was actually the FIRST ever video game movie ever made in 1993, starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as the brothers, some actress as Princess Daisy (instead of Peach), and Dennis Hopper as King Koopa. So there's the joke, for anyone who missed it. It cost 42 million dollars to make, and, needless to say, it tanked (revenue to this day is slightly less than half). Bob Hoskins hilariously calls it a "F***in' nightmare" and the husband-wife directors "F***'in idiots." Just this August in The Guardian. Go ahead, look it up. I'll wait.
Forgotten? Not by a longshot, I saw that movie in the theater on opening night. And I liked it, in all its cheesy glory. After all, I was only 11 or 12 years old at the time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote
Zalis: I might have taken the Mario movie more seriously if I hadn't seen TMNT first.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
As one of those who fusses, I'll let you in on my reasoning for it. While not 100% true in all cases, the short of it is: It doesn't belong. I'm a little more forgiving about people who cosplay something from Legend of the Crystals, Unlimited, Advent Children or Last Order because they are, well, animated in Japan and would fit our definition of anime. It's when people are cosplaying non-animated or non-comic characters, designs or what have you. This goes likewise for people who cosplay as the following at anime conventions:

- Stormtroopers from Star Wars
- Master Chief from HALO
- Sold Snake from MGS
- Pheonix from X-Men
- Mutha-lovin' Jack Sparrow

Or, anything like that. An anime convention, by definition, is a convention for people who enjoy Japanese cartoons. Manga, because its industry has become so intertwined with anime in both Japan and America, is what I consider the only permissable exception.

It's all about what's appropriate. When I go to professional conferences, I'm paying good money for professional information and connections. At an anime convention, I'm paying for information and interactions with other anime fans. If you love anime and love video games, that's great - more power to anyone who has diverse interests - but there's a time and place for everything. When I'm at an anime con and someone wants to talk to me about computers or some other hobby of mine, make sure to do it at a social party when I've got a drink in my hand; when I'm actually doing con-stuff, Japanese Cartoons are Serious Business. If I had my way, things like video game rooms at conventions would be limited to anime-franchise games; no HALO tournaments or DDR.

My god, could you come off as any more of an Elitist? God forbit some unrealated thing corrupt the purity of your anime convention experience.

It especially strikes me as interesting that you go off on people talking to you about these things. I don't know who these people you've dealt with but I find people rarely just randomly come up to people and start talking about something unrealted unless you actually ask em about it. Honestly though, even if they do god forbit you have to respond "I'm actually not interested in that".

How about a little live and let live dude? Would it really kill you to just do your own thing and ignore the non-anime stuff if it isn't your cup of tea?

prime_pm wrote:
FFIX was a great game to me. One of the last few good games to come out on the PS1. The last FF I played, XII, I didn't even bother to finish. Yes, the graphics are good; yes, the real-time-ish battles are fun; yes, it all takes place in the Tactics world (though I couldn't really see any concrete evidence comparing the two). I even liked the new equipment/job/skill system they put in. The story just did not connect with me well. Maybe because it was a little disjointed here and there, or maybe the main character had no real connection to the plot other than "My brother's dead" and "My girlfriend has pigtails." Maybe I felt there should have been another fuzzy mascot character in there or something. Or maybe I'm just weird. Or old. Or another character impalement.

I thought XII was a good stab at inovation too but definitely left something to be desired. It really felt like a more event driven plot rahter than a character driven one. I would actually say the characters were fine when you consider this. They were moderately interesting and at least had some personality. The trouble was that the whole political plot that I think was meant to be the main driving force of the plot was very dry. I didn't much care for the battle system either. It was a decent idea but in major need of refinement. I found most of the skills and magic useless. The best strategy was just to give everyone powerful weapons and have em attack plus give a couple people white magic. The gambit (I think thats what it was called) system had great potential but totally lacked the precision needed to actually do anything useful with it other than maybe attack leaders target and auto-cure. I have high hopes for XIII because I've heard they're basing it on XII's system but I assume they will refine it somehow.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
And besides, how can you say Kitty Vader is not anime inspired?

Kitty Vader was photoshopped from this costume: Infinities Vader
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Pre-2000 anime fans were typically social retards with narrow interests and far too much free time, while modern anime fans are typically 14-year-olds who don't really have the schedules or motivation to hunt down Captain Harlock vs. The American Occupation (aka Arcadia of My Youth). They just want to watch Bleach or InuYasha or Cowboy Bebop.
Basically the same thing then.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

My god, could you come off as any more of an Elitist? God forbit some unrealated thing corrupt the purity of your anime convention experience.

Probably not if I tried. Smile

It's not got much to do about spoiling the "purity" of an anime convention, just that I'm not especially fond of anime conventions becoming Internet Meme conventions, general sci-fi/fantasy conventions, or video game conventions. If I wanted to attend those shows, I would.

ikillchicken wrote:
It especially strikes me as interesting that you go off on people talking to you about these things. I don't know who these people you've dealt with but I find people rarely just randomly come up to people and start talking about something unrealted unless you actually ask em about it. Honestly though, even if they do god forbit you have to respond "I'm actually not interested in that".

How about a little live and let live dude? Would it really kill you to just do your own thing and ignore the non-anime stuff if it isn't your cup of tea?

I think you misunderstood what I posted previously. Someone asked "Why do people get upset with FF cosplayers?" and as someone who holds that opinion, I explained why I hold that opinion. No where did I say that I was actively going out and shunning people, shouting them down, or trying to get them removed. I'm not out to ruin anyone's con or day; I can be an elitist dick, but I'm not to the point where I'd do that. When I see the non-anime stuff at a con, I may take note, but it's not something I lose sleep over or fret about. Just one part of the con experience I don't enjoy but I'll deal with as I go to the events I am still interested in.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
Speed Racer's original fan base is much older than Dragon Ball's and they've undoubtedly moved on, but a film based upon the franchise is still being produced. The recently-released Alvin and the Chipmunks is based on a cartoon series that hasn't been really big in close to two decades, yet it managed to pull in $44.3 million in its first weekend. I don't know if the Dragon Ball film will succeed or fail, but if it does fail, I doubt it'll have anything to do with older DB fans moving past it.

True. Speed Racer (and Alvin and the Chipmunks) fans have moved on to the point that they're looking for places to dump their 10-15 year old kids for a couple of hours: perfect timing for those movies. I suspect the majority of Dragonball fans are just getting out of college, or maybe a couple of years into the workforce, and getting nostalgic for the simplicity of their youth. Perfect timing for a movie like that. I don't see a problem.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they make a Golgo 13 every 10 years, and just now they announced new Golgo 13, I guess the classics will always stay around us no matter how old they are...

just look...Gatchaman, DBZ, getting big screen treatments, Let's party like it's 1987!!!
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of odd compared to a lot of anime fans, I suppose. I don't really follow a lot of what is and isn't popular online, and I don't watch any anime on broadcast TV. I watched a few things, and those things led to other things, and I really didn't stop as my tastes diversified. Some of the anime I love is recent, some was made over 20 years ago, and the age and look aren't a turn-off at all. I, for one, would like to see a lot of older anime just as much as I'd like to see newer stuff.

As for Final Fantasy, my favorites are V and XII. V's storyline was awful, and it had shallow characters, but the job system was well implemented and I loved the soundtrack. XII was Matsuno. And Matsuno is the 2nd god of video games (second, of course, to Tetsuya Takahashi).
Treetastic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Treetastic wrote:
I don't remember Last Order being bundles with Advent Children. I know it was bundled with the re-release of the actual game. Not that I wouldn't like to see it if it is on my DVD of Advent Children. Wink

It's on the Special Edition set. This one.

Well that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4