• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Breaks Down 2011 Earnings by Franchise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think we might be barking up the wrong tree if we are looking for depth in an animated series based on a shonen comic.

"The Family Circus isn't Science Fiction."
"Peanuts isn't a Horror Comic."
"One Piece isn't Literary Fiction."
So? They weren't supposed to be.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Figures someone with a Luffy Avatar would say that. Heh. It's just as standard as cardboard cut out as other shounen, only you like it so you can't really see it's faults. It copies so much from Dragonball and does so many 'safe' shounen tropes that to deny that would be just blind fanboyism.

Like he said. One Piece is a SHONEN. He never did deny that. It has all the traits of a shonen. Which means it has all the things that make a shonen good and enjoyable BUT and this is the main point, nearly none of the things that makes you puke like training arcs, ssy, transformation power ups etc. Plus many other things but especially the really good story telling puts it way above your “average” shonen and makes it pretty much the perfection of that genre or as close as you can get. In overall quality only second to FMA in the battle shonen category.

Amibite wrote:

The bulk of the series is "Luffy arrives on island, Luffy beats bad guy on that island, Luffy sails away to the next island" It's not until around before the time skip it really changes up the formula, and even then it's a very repetitive series, but I guess that's the formula that's popular in Japan. .

You mean the protagonist meets the antagonist, some situation arrives and they are forced to fight and after the protagonist wins the fight they move one to the next antagonist?
OMG this is true for EVERY shonen and even for every seinen with battle elements. The HOW is important. The characters that are involved and the situation that leads to the fight and the creativity of the world in an adventure manga are all important and that what counts. Most OP readers will tell you that even after 645 the Manga still feels fresh and is nowhere near “boring” or feels repetitive because the theme of the arc changes from island to island plus new characters and location bring new wind into the sail.

Amibite wrote:

I've really hated 'idiot' shounen protagonists who only like to fight like Luffy and Goku, but they always seem to be the most popular ones in Japan.

Dragon Ball is the most successful Manga in the world which means Goku isn’t only liked in Japan. The reason why Goku is actually liked is because he is likeable. Yes it’s that easy.
Luffy is an “advanced” version of Goku. His main goal isn’t to fight strong people but it is freedom and adventure. He has also more depth and energy behind him and has the mentality of a 6 year old in the body of a 19 year old.
For me Luffy is the IDEAL main character for a long running shonen. He is very likeable because who doesn’t like a child, has a lot of energy and love of life behind him, is funny and his „stupidity“moves the plot in unexpected ways in which a rational character never could. He is also the most “liked” character in character polls even tough OP does have multi dimensional rational characters.

Compare him with for example with Naruto. At the beginning of the Manga Naruto and Luffy were really similar, modeled after Goku. Most readers did like him but nowadays quite a number of readers detest him. If you want to answer than do it via PM because I seriously don’t want a OPvsNaruto discussion. I just used him because he is such a good example.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
Like he said. One Piece is a SHONEN. He never did deny that. It has all the traits of a shonen. Which means it has all the things that make a shonen good and enjoyable BUT and this is the main point, nearly none of the things that makes you puke like training arcs, ssy, transformation power ups etc.

See, this sounds more like "opinion = face", when you say those things are inherently bad and no on likes them (Though, uh, Gears? I'd say that counts as a transformation)

Actually the lack of training is a big problem with it; the characters pull new powers out of their butt with little to no explanation (like.. Gears, as mentioned) and can fight stronger opponents with little to no training (all we really see is Zoro lifting weights sometimes) I like how you can see, say, Naruto training a lot to master the Rasengan, or his Wild Chakra, the Kyuubi, and etc. It's a nice set up and great to see characters grow. I prefer logical steps compared to 'it's a shounen, don't take it seriously' which is why I prefer other series over it, I suppose. One Piece is incredibly casual and laid back, and often relies on it's comedy and lack of seriousness to handwave these things like logical fights and story direction away (the only reason Nami wins any of her fights, especially her original one against Doublefinger who should have killed her in 5 seconds if the OP characters didn't have plot armor to the ridiculous degree). That's why I'd rather read just about any other shounen series than it because I know they'll at least actually try.

Quote:
Plus many other things but especially the really good story telling puts it way above your “average” shonen and makes it pretty much the perfection of that genre or as close as you can get. In overall quality only second to FMA in the battle shonen category.

Sometimes I wonder if OP fans overblow the series to rediculous hyperbole ranks in some kind of retaliation/justification of their liking it since it's nowhere near as big as Naruto or any similar shounen outside of Japan. I don't get why people have to put down other series to make their own seem better... it seems more like insecurity than anything else. Can't people like both?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually the lack of training is a big problem with it; the characters pull new powers out of their butt with little to no explanation (like.. Gears, as mentioned) and can fight stronger opponents with little to no training (all we really see is Zoro lifting weights sometimes)

Well being able to fight stronger opponents comes from successfully dealing with and learning from previous fights. 'Gears' didn't just popup, Luffy got the idea of it from how other devil-fruit users transformed and while off-camera he developed it.

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if OP fans overblow the series to rediculous hyperbole ranks in some kind of retaliation/justification of their liking it since it's nowhere near as big as Naruto or any similar shounen outside of Japan.

You mean big like 10% of a market the size of say 100k people? Or do you mean big as in no real numbers just word of mouth and hearsay? Sure if you ignore Japan popularity and sale figures change but in a thread talking about Toei's earnings ignoring Japan isn't going to happen. Now if you want to go and find a news article about other OP, Naruto, or any anime franchise outside of Japan I would welcome the chance for it to get added to ANN News.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Hospodar wrote:
Like he said. One Piece is a SHONEN. He never did deny that. It has all the traits of a shonen. Which means it has all the things that make a shonen good and enjoyable BUT and this is the main point, nearly none of the things that makes you puke like training arcs, ssy, transformation power ups etc.

See, this sounds more like "opinion = face", when you say those things are inherently bad and no on likes them (Though, uh, Gears? I'd say that counts as a transformation)

Actually the lack of training is a big problem with it; the characters pull new powers out of their butt with little to no explanation (like.. Gears, as mentioned) and can fight stronger opponents with little to no training (all we really see is Zoro lifting weights sometimes) I like how you can see, say, Naruto training a lot to master the Rasengan, or his Wild Chakra, the Kyuubi, and etc. It's a nice set up and great to see characters grow. I prefer logical steps compared to 'it's a shounen, don't take it seriously' which is why I prefer other series over it, I suppose. One Piece is incredibly casual and laid back, and often relies on it's comedy and lack of seriousness to handwave these things like logical fights and story direction away (the only reason Nami wins any of her fights, especially her original one against Doublefinger who should have killed her in 5 seconds if the OP characters didn't have plot armor to the ridiculous degree). That's why I'd rather read just about any other shounen series than it because I know they'll at least actually try.

Quote:
Plus many other things but especially the really good story telling puts it way above your “average” shonen and makes it pretty much the perfection of that genre or as close as you can get. In overall quality only second to FMA in the battle shonen category.

Sometimes I wonder if OP fans overblow the series to rediculous hyperbole ranks in some kind of retaliation/justification of their liking it since it's nowhere near as big as Naruto or any similar shounen outside of Japan. I don't get why people have to put down other series to make their own seem better... it seems more like insecurity than anything else. Can't people like both?

I know why do people have to put compare series at all? Why are well allowed to have opinions at all? Why can't we all just like all series equally?
But seriously, are you really saying "I don't get why people have to put down other series to make their own seem better... it seems more like insecurity than anything else." When a paragraph above you're comparing One Piece negatively to Naruto. Kettle, Pot, Black.
Not that you don't have a right to an opinion, and I really don't care if you love Naruto and hate One Piece, and you can talk about it till Kingdom Come all you want. In fact go for it.
And while I don't like Naruto that much at all, I am not going to start this stupid fanbrat debate, so I'm just going to say this:

I don't have to justify my love for One Piece. Because to me it is the quintessence of childhood's imagination and whimsy involving pirates. And it is awesome. And I would love and hold it dearly to my heart if everyone knew its name or if I was the only one.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
and while off-camera he developed it.

That's pretty much the definition of 'out of nowhere'.

Quote:
You mean big like 10% of a market the size of say 100k people? Or do you mean big as in no real numbers just word of mouth and hearsay?

Uh, more like those New York Times Book rankings reports ANN does weekly. It's pretty common knowledge the other shounen are bigger than OP is outside Japan.

Sewingrose wrote:
When a paragraph above you're comparing One Piece negatively to Naruto. Kettle, Pot, Black.
Uh, no. I was showing him how his definition of "these things are bad and make you puke" isn't really a fact like he said, and just used an example to show why people would like it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's pretty much the definition of 'out of nowhere'.

Gears didn't have a training arc but it is not out of nowhere the idea for it was gained from previous fights.
Quote:

Uh, more like those New York Times Book rankings reports ANN does weekly. It's pretty common knowledge the other shounen are bigger than OP is outside Japan.

Yeah the same market where 10k sales for a manga on release is a good sales figure. In light of the sales figures in this article and the numbers for manga sales in Japan I have to say your idea of big doesn't really holdup.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Gears are not a transformation. Luffy's body doesn't change in any way, aside from stretching.
Quote:

Luffy's gears were mainly based off of observing CP9's rokushiki techniques.
He witnessed them kicking off the ground multiple times, and adapted it with his powers, and came up with Gear Second.
They're pretty much techniques he came up with from being creative with his powers and using them in a way no one would normally think of using them in.
As for training, Luffy trained for 10 years on Goa Kingdom to gain better control of his rubber abilities before departing on his journey. Zoro trained constantly as a child in his dojo, and Sanji learned his kicking techinques from Chef Zeff.
And the main reason Nami won her fight against Miss Doublefinger was because she was able to outsmart her and use her knowledge of the weather to her advantage with her Climatact.
Quote:

Personally, I can't stand fans who rate One Piece higher than it should be.
It's a fantastic series, but the new fans (mainly the CP9/Marineford fans)nowadays, tend to call it the "greatest manga/anime ever created period". Which makes me begin to wonder how much manga or anime they've actually read/seen at all.
Thankfully, a majority of the One Piece fans I've met and talked to aren't like this. As much as I do like and enjoy One Piece, I won't put down another series just to make OP seem better.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion and all that jazz, but One Piece is hardly even boring.
You probably didn't stick around long enough to see any of the better arcs, or weren't more open-minded.

I'm far from anti-shounen or anything, I like Bleach, Dragonball Z, even Naruto was fun for a long time. But something about One Piece always seemed off to me. I dont really like the character designs or the animation style or the completely nonsensical names and attacks and villains, I dont know. It was just dull and I could never get into it. But hey it apparently has a crapton of fans so more power to them, everyone likes different stuff.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I knew I should have explained better, my mistake. Training arcs aren’t bad per se. Having one or 2 good timed training arcs helps the Manga often very much but very often the mangaka falls into a spiral. It’s always fight-> stronger opponent->training arc->fight->stronger opponent->training arc-> etc. Additional the hero has to learn new techniques in a ridiculous short amount of time which other need often years to learn to empathize how cool and special he is. It is often also used as a time stalling device to get the other characters in some sort of helpless situation so the Hero can have his super cool entrance. Furthermore training arc take often away the “flow” of the Manga because it is often a forceful stop

TitanXL wrote:

Actually the lack of training is a big problem with it; the characters pull new powers out of their butt with little to no explanation (like.. Gears, as mentioned) and can fight stronger opponents with little to no training (all we really see is Zoro lifting weights sometimes)

Zoro is the only character who uses some new sword technique every time he fights. The rest of the characters are either weapon users or have learned their techniques long before they joined. Let’s take Luffy and Sanji for example. Can you give me any proof that Luffy was stronger when he fought Crocodile than he was when he fought Arlong? No because he used the exactly same fighting style on both of them without any new power up from his ass. This was until EL which is 400 chapters in the series. Go count how many asspull power ups other shonen have 400 chapters in.
Now on to the Gears. They were perfectly prepared before introduced. After he lost to Aokiji there was a skip for 3 days and at the end of W7 he said he has THOUGHT OUT some new techniques he wants to try out. THOUGHT OUT is the IMPORTANT thing here. In Gear 2 second he uses his legs to increase his blood flow the same way adrenalin does it with the heart. The Result is the same but more exaggerated, more strength, speed and higher reaction speed. In Gear 3 he blasts air in his bones to make his limbs bigger. Both are techniques he doesn’t have to learn, only invent. It is not a skill like sword fighting but only possible because he is a rubber man.
After that arc and the few following arcs it was clear that they came to the limit of the possible with the skills they have learned before the journey begun and there was prompt a training time skip.
I too like logical power levels and hate power ups who came out of nowhere without an explanation but in OP the power levels are done really well as well as the power ups who are really few and logical (at least in the comic logic like spinning so long that the friction heats up my leg but doesn’t burn me but my enemy).

TitanXL wrote:

I didn’t talk about sales but quality. And YES you can categorize Manga in different classes as you can movies and as you can books as you can etc. Transformers and Dark Knight DON’T have the same overall quality. Both are action superhero summer block buster movies but you can ask a lot of people and nearly everybody will tell you that one is “better”. You or I can like transformers better but this doesn’t change the “fact” that Dark Knight is the “better” movie. I don’t make a hail out of that One Piece is my favorite series but I’m well aware that FMA is the “better” series as there are dozens of Manga (though they don’t have fighting in them therefore shouldn’t be compared to a battle shonen) in the Seinen genre who are “better”. For quality measurements there is for example rottentomatoes for movies and myanimelist for Anime and Manga. As you can clearly see the Manga of OP is ranked fairly high but the Anime isn’t and that for good reasons.

Relairknight wrote:

I'm far from anti-shounen or anything, I like Bleach, Dragonball Z, even Naruto was fun for a long time. But something about One Piece always seemed off to me. I don't really like the character designs or the animation style or the completely nonsensical names and attacks and villains, I don't know. It was just dull and I could never get into it. But hey it apparently has a crapton of fans so more power to them, everyone likes different stuff.

You said you have seen 2-3 “arcs” which means 15 Episodes, right? If you only have seen that few and you actually like shonen than you should consider watching it again. I have read about many, many people who didn’t like the first few Episodes but today are die hard OP fans. Most op fans fall in love with it during the Arlong Park arc which is from Episode 31 until 44. I always say to watch the entire series until 44 and if you still don’t like the series than to stop because even if it does get better per arc, the OP spirit is represented in AP. I mean it is the most successful shonen for a reason and you should at least try to find out why.

I read through a few Reviews and that might be helpful for you:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/RookieBomber/reviews
darkcat1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
Although I like One Piece (mostly the magna) I still want Pretty Cure. No matter what the season those girls really kick(well you know). I'm a longtime fan of Anime from when I was younger and even though stuff is girly I still like it. It's sad but if I had the cash I'd be trying to license Pretty Cure[franchise] form Toei(I have big dreams and no $$$ to do them with).

Honestly I thing "Girls shows don't sell" is just a stupid attitude more than actual practice as I've seen some make it and some fail just like other shows. (Honestly pealing those little girls away from Hanna Montana and the like would be a good thing)

BTW: Maybe I'm abit biased because I am the current admin of the Pretty Cure wiki but it's a shame that more people don't try crazy things and see if they might succeed.

PS: Pretty Cure is kinda "monster of the week" so you could say it's abit formulamatic too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4